• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coztoomba

Oct 28, 2017
I never realised how bad the rabid Steam fanaticism was until EGS came along. And now I really find myself going out of my way to AVOID Steam. Yes they've done a lot for the industry, but they have their hooks into you guys so bad it's ridiculous.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a joke, right? They must have sold more than 9 copies.

I mean, I won't buy the game until it releases on Steam, Uplay, Origin or GOG, but 9 copies on EGS seems...impossible.

9 copies is absolutely impossible, given how many people were previously interested in the game. Even with so many people hating on EGS, many for legitimate reasons, you would expect at least a couple of thousand to not care enough and buy it anyway.

TheUnforgiven

Banned
Nov 23, 2018
Boiling it down to "preferred launcher" is a bit simple (in part a problem with Twitter, I suppose), but I can't blame Coffee Stain for getting annoyed at someone directly telling them that they are going to pirate their game.

They can clean their tears with the fat stacks of cash that epic gave them to sign. They'll be fine.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm accusing the dude of the same thing he's accusing people of in this thread.

That poster was replying to the idiotic false equivalence between using cheats and pirating a full game with another ridiculous comment to boot of "Why do so many of you hate poor people".

Using poor people as a way to try and win an argument on an internet forum. Classy.

And you felt an appropriate response to the post was to imply unrelated topics about emulation meant that poster must pirate? Also classy.

Honestly, the absolute state of some grown men in this topic. No wonder this forum is being torn apart by absolute nonsense.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Dev is right you know..

"@SatisfactoryAF Steam or TPB. Your choice"

Clearly, user has a preffered launcher issue. Not sure how anyone saying anything else.

I mean, I won't buy the game until it releases on Steam, Uplay, Origin or GOG, but 9 copies on EGS seems...impossible.

I think I have about 6-8 or so friends that's playing Satisfactory via EGS.. so I guess unless the rest of the world accounts for 1 EGS sale. It's a joke ;P

AmbientRuin

Apr 18, 2019
That poster was replying to the idiotic false equivalance between using cheats and pirating a full game with another ridiculous comment of "Why do so many of you hate poor people".

Using poor people as a way to try and win an argument on an internet forum. Classly.

And you felt an appropriate response to the post was to imply unrelated posts about emulation meant that poster must pirate?

Honestly, the absolute state of some grown men in this topic. No wonder this forum is being torn apart by absolute nonsense.
Do those cheats cost money today?

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
These piracy proponents have become one of those typical extremist sub-parties that harm the entire movement. Pretty sure people will milk piracy argument to enforce hasty generalizations toward Epic detractors as Steam fanboys.

The best thing to do is just forget these exclusive games don't exist until they are sold in a preferable manner, akin to how people wait for - yes - Steam game to be bundled or enter sale. And if you are favourable towards act of piracy and don't have patience for above, don't broadcast it over live media for God's sake.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do those cheats cost money today?

No, you can get memory addresses for free on the internet and do what you want with the product you bought.

In fact, you can prod the memory addresses yourself if you know what you're doing.

What next? Free mods for Skyrim are piracy because Bethesda charges for skin recolours?

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dev is right you know..

"@SatisfactoryAF Steam or TPB. Your choice"

Clearly, user has a preffered launcher issue. Not sure how anyone saying anything else.

I think I have about 6-8 or so friends that's playing Satisfactory via EGS.. so I guess unless the rest of the world accounts for 1 EGS sale. It's a joke ;P

But I guess they aren't satisfied with the sales considering their raving against piracy on their Twitter.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017

It's gotta be a joke or misinterpretation of some sort. There's no way that's real / what they meant.

AmbientRuin

Apr 18, 2019
No, you can get memory addresses for free on the internet and do what you want with the product you bought.

In fact, you can prod the memory addresses yourself if you know what you're doing.

What next? Free mods for Skyrim are piracy because Bethesda charges for skin recolours?
Are those mods those skin colors repackaged for free?
No, it's not, because if you pirated a game you never bought anything to reward the dev for their work.

My brain can't even at the state of this topic.

So DLC is okay then?

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I never realised how bad the rabid Steam fanaticism was until EGS came along. And now I really find myself going out of my way to AVOID Steam. Yes they've done a lot for the industry, but they have their hooks into you guys so bad it's ridiculous.
Alright, my post should actually have been including Origin too. A place I definitely don't mind. Or Uplay but that seems more unlikely. Or just DRM free on Humble, no problems there. GOG would have been fine before but I stopped supporting them after they kept making horrible tweets and sweeping the issues under the rug. Just like I won't support EGS for what the people behind it have said and done. It's not that people are "hooked" by Steam, it's a reaction to a company that clearly think of customers as a necessary evil.

Edit: Oh and itch.io too of course. So many good places to buy games now that it's hard to keep track. That one would be really great, you can even give more money to the devs that way than through Epic which seems hugely important to all those EGS fans.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017
Threatening to pirate is indeed juvenile, but mainly the threatening part. Piracy is bad but it's like a 0.1/10 on the crime severity scale and I'm extremely confident that upwards of 90% of this forum has pirated some form of media multiple times in their life, whether through bittorrents, watching music or films on youtube that the creators didn't give permission to upload, copying that floppy, and so on. If someone wants to pirate shit then keep it to yourself and don't @ the creators to brag about it, which is just dickish.

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
Literally no one has done that. You lying troll.

They did, anyway, they are owned by THQ Nordic so there is a good chance this wasn't even their choice, they just make a game they would like people to buy so when they get threatened with piracy I can imagine it's very hard to take that someone wants to steal from you.

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These piracy proponents have become one of those typical extremist sub-parties that harm the entire movement. Pretty sure people will milk piracy argument to enforce hasty generalizations toward Epic detractors as Steam fanboys.

The best thing to do is just forget these exclusive games don't exist until they are sold in a preferable manner, akin to how people wait for - yes - Steam game to be bundled or enter sale. And if you are favourable towards act of piracy and don't have patience for above, don't broadcast it over live media for God's sake.

With Steam's library of 10,000+ games, it's pretty damn easy to ignore most games. If EGS gets some new game I really want, I'll break down, but the number of those games is minimal for me.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are those mods those skin colors repackaged for free?

So DLC is okay then?

No, DLC is adding code to the game that never existed when you bought it. The only way to obtain that code is to buy it or pirate it. You can't prod memory addresses and make it appear.

A modder with a tiny bit of skill can do the same recolour Bethesda did for free. You want red armour? No problem, you can have red armour for free if someone works on it.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They're 150% in the right with that statement.

Some gamers are the absolute worst...pathetic really.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Might have something to do with the amount of user friendly features Steam has.

Steam quite frankly saved PC gaming.

Also, most people don't have any big issues with UPlay, Origin, GOG or Battle.net, it's primarily EGS.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You are conflicting anti-EGS with pro-Steam.

I, and many others, generally have positive opinions of other storefronts which aren't featureless piles of shit run by a known predatory company engaging in anti-consumer business practices and led by a man known mostly for an obsession with data tracking.

Like say, GOG or Itch.

Last edited:

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
SatisfactoryTweet.jpg

https://twitter.com/SatisfactoryAF/status/1121300538673586178

No lies detected.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, and no one would actually argue against that practice since food = neccessary to live while games = entertainment not neccessary to have to live.

Do you mean comic books, superhero movies and video games aren't the same as the means for someone's body to stay alive and function?

And here I thought something being on Steam or EGS was essential to the ability for "poor people" to stay alive.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Does everyone think they will be dead in a one year time? Because nobody ever suggest they will just get it later when the exclusivity ends.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
But I guess they aren't satisfied with the sales considering their raving against piracy on their Twitter.

Them replying to a user who was a dick with a response does not really equal them raving against pircacy in twitter. Maybe they arent satisfied with the sales, I dont know but hardly a war against piracy.

PhotogDoug

Nov 10, 2017
Dayton, OH
Would I like to play satisfactory? Yes.
Will I buy it on EGS? No.

Solution: Ignore it exists like all those old console exclusives I used it ignore in my younger days until it comes to a platform/shop I support.

Hit the easy button.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Do you mean comic books, superhero movies and video games aren't the same as the means for someone's body to stay alive and function?

And here I thought something being on Steam or EGS was essential to the ability for "poor people" to stay alive.

I guess you could eat the pages of a comic book. Add some gravel and you have a fine meal.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I really didn't expect arguments of piracy to be so abundant and those arguing to be so shameless. It is even more open on Reddit where people will write out justification on why it's morally right for them to pirate a game.

It happens, people do it, sure. But some people are acting as if they are on a crusade. And I don't think they are doing any favors in helping sway devs to not go to the EGS.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
We should 100% be critical of how Epic conduct their business but threatening to steal from developers is beyond pathetic

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Oh fuck off with this. I barely even fucking comment on anything dealing going with the Epic Store because I don't even play games on PC. But if there is one thing I've learned within the past months of watching it all go down, it's that PC gamers are the most entitled bunch of whiny little shits in the greater gaming community.

The dev most likely does not see the store as anything more than a launcher where their game is hosted. Sure, they probably got some cash for it being exclusive for a while, but if you were in their position and possibly needed the money, you'd probably take that deal too. Honestly, I could go on and on about this but I think I'd rather just leave and take my ban for calling you head-up-own-asses entitled shits what you are.

What a decidely stupid ignorant take on the whole thing from someone who admits to not understanding much. The conclusion, that all pc gamers are entitled shits, only further illustrates the system wars, console warrior bullshit that trolls like this love to spew.

Fuck off indeed.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess you could eat the pages of a comic book. Add some gravel and you have a fine meal.

That's not good enough. I'm going to write to my local MPs who are seriously trying to look into the future and Universal Basic Income to try and reform the benefits sector and state to them that money for food, bills, water, clothes and shelter are not a priority. What we need to do instead is focus on Amiibos, comic books and a collection of 2,000 games on your platform of choice you'll never complete all of in your lifetime.

The essentials. Because when we talk about truly poor people from our ivory towers, we know Steam or EGS is the true conundrum.

Deleted member 3196

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I buy games on Steam, GOG and Origin. In fact, where possibly, my preference is always GOG. In the end, my objections are to EGS specifically, and not a childish rage borne from some make-believe Steam fanaticism that people apparently have.

I think this is an unfair smear on people who dislike EGS for good reason, but I doubt you'll be back to justify your troll.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Do you mean comic books, superhero movies and video games aren't the same as the means for someone's body to stay alive and function?.
As a side note, you may be surprised, but there is such a thing as informational starvation. Human brains need a constant supply of non-repeating stimuli - e.g. entertainment - in order to not go all toaster strudel after a few weeks. Just a point of knowledge, not related to the discussion here.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Official Staff Communication
This thread is proving be not a productive conversation starter so this thread is closed to further replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.