krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
About time. Disney's sucked up all the content creators, and now they are a content provider with Disney +.
They own a sizeable amount of movie revenue through all the studios they own, a sizeable amount of traditional TV revenue through ABC/ESPN, push toys/themeparks for additional revenue and drilling down brand loyalty at a young age, and basically set their flag to become the only place to get streaming revenue with how aggressively they are going after Netflix.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love Bernie's ideas, I genuinely hope he ends up as Warren's VP pick with AOC replacing him in 2024 if she wins.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
The idea that some of you are seriously against this just because you want xmen in the mcu makes me want to puke on you.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States

Not too sure about that! (Plus, you know, he's the only one taking climate change seriously, unlike Warren and her "green military" plans)

I've been trying to find Warren's tax plan for all the income percentiles but I can't find it all I can find is info about the wealthy tax. Anyone know where I can find her plan for most americans?

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Ah, I see. His pride won't let him step down to endorse Warren, so he's just going to throw as hard as he can. Good guy Bernie, our presidential shonen rival taking one for the team.

Dec 22, 2017
Disney-Fox merger shouldn't have been allowed in the first place, but Comcast and Time Warner should be bigger targets for breaking up. They control both the content, and the means of distributing it.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
"We're going to end private insurance and provide free college to everyone!"

"Fuck yeah, go Bernie!"

"And were going to break up the big conglomerates like Disney!"

"LOL that's never going to happen."

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Roosevelt do something like this? Theodore The Trust Buster, paved the way for regulations on companies becoming too big.
As others have said, yes and no. Yes, he broke up a bunch of trusts and monopolies and put serious regulations in place to prevent that from happening again.

Which have actually worked well, despite what people on this board think. It was a very different time, where new companies controlling entire industries was fairly common. We don't have any actual monopolies, beyond local monopolies that are 'industry inflicted'. (Cable companies not moving in on each other's service areas is an example of something that is not technically a monopoly, but still really shitty business practice.) As far as the law, Disney is fine. If you want to remove their influence, try first removing money from politics (which I know Bernie wants to do). That alone would eliminate more influence than trying to break up Disney.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"We're going to end private insurance and provide free college to everyone!"

"Fuck yeah, go Bernie!"

"And were going to break up the big conglomerates like Disney!"

"LOL that's never going to happen."

You seriously can't compare free college to a company breaking up. They're not even the same ballpark. Free college would change everything for a majority of people in the US.
Disney is some fucking movie and tv company. Who cares. We'll get pissy and eventually move on.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what's the point of this honestly.

just say you're a disney bootlicker who needs his quarterly fix of superheroes over the start of some genuine criticism on megacorps in america... and go?
It's not that I don't think hes right, he probably is.
I just don't believe him. It's hot air.
And yeah, he's too old as well. He just had a heart attack. He needs to make change through some other avenue and not presidency.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
You seriously can't compare free college to a company breaking up. They're not even the same ballpark. Free college would change everything for a majority of people in the US.
Disney is some fucking movie and tv company. Who cares. We'll get pissy and eventually move on.

I'm merely pointing out the hilarious irony of selective pragmatism.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
It's not that I don't think hes right, he probably is.
I just don't believe him. It's hot air.
And yeah, he's too old as well. He just had a heart attack. He needs to make change through some other avenue and not presidency.

Changing the discourse surrounding megacorps is like step one. This is step one dude, and the first thing you brought to this thread was "sure, old man".

Sounds like the very idea rattled you.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Sounds great.

And in the messy paperwork to divide Disney and Fox, make sure they shredded the contracts from the 90s for Fox to own the X-men movie rights.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
Disney-Fox merger shouldn't have been allowed in the first place, but Comcast and Time Warner should be bigger targets for breaking up. They control both the content, and the means of distributing it.

Regarding Comcast and AT&T; THIS. Whenever this discussion comes up, I'm a bit surprised people overlook Comcast (NBCUniversal) and AT&T (Warner, HBO, TNT, CNN, etc). It stinks that Disney controls so much from a creative standpoint, but I am far more worried about these media + internet providers teaming up, especially with net neutrality in flux. That is far more worrying. Disney doesn't control any distribution, and while it stinks to lose Fox as a competitor, corporations like Netflix and Amazon have stepped up to fill the void lost by former media companies.

Oct 25, 2017
Hell yes.

ERA like..."but the Xmen in the MCU...."

giphy.gif
"W-w-what about muh capeshit movies!?!"

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
Some posters in this thread are putting way too much value on fictional properties. There's nothing stopping competing studios from creating their own content or investing in other properties and stories (preferably newer and/or less established) to compete against Disney properties like Marvel and Star Wars. As other posters have said, the larger tech companies should be the focus of policy proposals like this.

Bengraven