• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tuxedotank

Jan 9, 2018
Reading through this thread feels like scratching at something buried deep in my brain. I played this game as a kid but had the strategy guide in hand since it was so confusing and difficult. I've since forgotten most of the game so I think this might be fun to dive into again.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is awesome. I recall this being hard for me when I was young, so I'm excited to give it a try now that I'm older.

Plus, I hope it does well and could lead to a Saga Frontier 2 remake as well.

Ultratech

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they have the actual source code to build off of for this.

I remember reading up on some of the mechanics for certain things in-game and they come across as completely arcane.
(And I'm not talking about the Battle Mechanics. Mostly stuff regarding Data and other in-game events.)

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Plus, I hope it does well and could lead to a Saga Frontier 2 remake as well.

i wouldn't get my hopes up, at this point they've only remade/remastered SaGa 1 (for the Wonderswan Color), SaGa 2 (for the DS), SaGa 3 (for the DS), Romancing SaGa 1 (for the Wonderswan Color and PS2), Romancing SaGa 2 (for everything current except Xbox), Romancing SaGa 3 (for everything current except Xbox), SaGa Scarlet Grace (for everything current except Xbox), and now SaGa Frontier, leaving SaGa Frontier 2 and Unlimited SaGa as the only ones that haven't been re-released

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i wouldn't get my hopes up, at this point they've only remade/remastered SaGa 1 (for the Wonderswan Color), SaGa 2 (for the DS), SaGa 3 (for the DS), Romancing SaGa 1 (for the Wonderswan Color and PS2), Romancing SaGa 2 (for everything current except Xbox), Romancing SaGa 3 (for everything current except Xbox), SaGa Scarlet Grace (for everything current except Xbox), and now SaGa Frontier, leaving SaGa Frontier 2 and Unlimited SaGa as the only ones that haven't been re-released

So you're saying there's a chance? ;)

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I got Romancing SAGA1-3 on SuperFamicom a while back for dead cheap without knowing much about them.
Are they any good? I've played a lot of jrpgs, is it interesting gameplay or story?

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I got Romancing SAGA1-3 on SuperFamicom a while back for dead cheap without knowing much about them.
Are they any good? I've played a lot of jrpgs, is it interesting gameplay or story?

They're interesting in that they're console-based open world JRPGs from the early 90s, but that's maybe not as impressive in This Modern Era Of Everything Being An Open World Game.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
one of the funniest things of the SaGa remasters versus the Final Fantasy 5/6 remasters is that even Imperial SaGa, a browser game, had a better aesthetic for their sprites than 5 and 6:

(and so did Imperial SaGa's mobage successor:
)

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
They're interesting in that they're console-based open world JRPGs from the early 90s, but that's maybe not as impressive in This Modern Era Of Everything Being An Open World Game.
I only just played Chrono Trigger and Terranigma few years back and loved them, so I'm totally open to playing older games if they are interesting or have a good story

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
Saga Frontier is one of the worst rpgs i've played, or tried to play, I should say. Where are the Vagrant Story and Xenogears remasters, Square?

Also SaGa series has the benefit of a successful mobile game to make a project like this Remaster possible.

Also dropped Vita this time. End of an era.

Sad but not unexpected. I knew this would happen after seeing SaGa Scarlet Grace wasn't localized for Vita along side PS4 and Switch.

Last edited:

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
This is the one where the super hero's scenario was like half finished... right?

I remember renting this when I was younger and I enjoyed it a lot... but I remember just being absolutely confused as all hell when I was playing it. I'm hoping that was just because I was a kid and not paying attention closely enough at the time. Most of all I just remember the battle system seeming really random when dealing with skills though.

Looks pretty though. And I ABSOLUTELY remember that turtle boss kicking my ass every single time.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Just to note Romancing SaGa 2-3 were indeed on Xbox One too. Frontier HD now dropped Xbox and Vita.

I'd also add unofficial SaGa title The Last Remnant to the list which got a recent PS4/Switch remaster. Kawazu's cooking!

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020

Also SaGa series has the benefit of a successful mobile game to make a project like this Remaster possible.

Sad but not unexpected. I knew this would happen after seeing SaGa Scarlet Grace wasn't localized for Vita along side PS4 and Switch.

This tweet is super interesting. I've also wondered why Saga has had near constant releases. I can't complain as I'm a fan but it is a little frustrating.

I'd love a remaster of Xenogears, Chrono Cross, and Vagrant Story. I'd also love a Saga Frontier 2 remaster so I get it.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
I remember reading up on some of the mechanics for certain things in-game and they come across as completely arcane.
(And I'm not talking about the Battle Mechanics. Mostly stuff regarding Data and other in-game events.)

Oh yeah, there's some weird stuff hidden and semi-hidden in the game. It's pretty common of PS1-era RPGs - everyone wanted cool hidden characters and content, and publishers were more than happy to comply and sell you the associated strategy guides.

For Frontier specifically, the first one that comes to mind is recruiting Suzaku. If I remember right, you had to do:

-Defeat a specific enemy on one screen during the Shield Card quest. It's just some random fairy, no indication that it's important in any way.
-Then run two screens or so over, and see if a snowman has spawned in. If not, you have to go back and fight the fairy again. Note that it has to be a snowman on the BOTTOM of the screen. A snowman can also spawn in elsewhere on the screen. It is the wrong snowman. Bad snowman!
-When you do get the right snowman, you touch it and fight a mini-boss, who is significantly harder than the actual boss of the Shield Card quest.
-If you defeat the snowman, you then have to find a hidden passage in an entirely different part of the dungeon, away from the snowman or the fairy. In there is Suzaku, who will be unfrozen and ready to join you! He's not terribly unique or better than most of the other monster recruits. Enjoy!

This is the one where the super hero's scenario was like half finished... right?

Red is actually more "finished" than most of the characters. I'd personally rank the finished-ness of the quests as (most to least) Red, T260, Riki, Asellus, Blue, Emelia, Lute, though it's possible Lute is intended to be very minimal in story.

That being said the game as a whole had varying levels of completeness, and we don't know a lot of what was intended. Most of the data left on disc was for Asellus's quest, and that seems to be the bulk of what's being restored here (besides Fuse).

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
All y'all here talkin' about Blue's ending and I just want to know what that damn Cube thing that everyone talks about in Emelia's quest is. Luckily that one's tied to Trinity and has a decent chance of coming up in Fuse's quest.

Most of Square's digital stuff (including the Romancing SaGa remakes) have been getting physical Switch releases in the Asia region (which includes English), so that's what I'm expecting here.
Likelihood of physical Switch copies are high since many Asia countries don't have eshops.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Oh yeah, there's some weird stuff hidden and semi-hidden in the game. It's pretty common of PS1-era RPGs - everyone wanted cool hidden characters and content, and publishers were more than happy to comply and sell you the associated strategy guides.

For Frontier specifically, the first one that comes to mind is recruiting Suzaku. If I remember right, you had to do:

-Defeat a specific enemy on one screen during the Shield Card quest. It's just some random fairy, no indication that it's important in any way.
-Then run two screens or so over, and see if a snowman has spawned in. If not, you have to go back and fight the fairy again. Note that it has to be a snowman on the BOTTOM of the screen. A snowman can also spawn in elsewhere on the screen. It is the wrong snowman. Bad snowman!
-When you do get the right snowman, you touch it and fight a mini-boss, who is significantly harder than the actual boss of the Shield Card quest.
-If you defeat the snowman, you then have to find a hidden passage in an entirely different part of the dungeon, away from the snowman or the fairy. In there is Suzaku, who will be unfrozen and ready to join you! He's not terribly unique or better than most of the other monster recruits. Enjoy!

Red is actually more "finished" than most of the characters. I'd personally rank the finished-ness of the quests as (most to least) Red, T260, Riki, Asellus, Blue, Emelia, Lute, though it's possible Lute is intended to be very minimal in story.

That being said the game as a whole had varying levels of completeness, and we don't know a lot of what was intended. Most of the data left on disc was for Asellus's quest, and that seems to be the bulk of what's being restored here (besides Fuse).

Blue's quest does not even have an ending. Beat the final boss and you get a big old 'THE END'. Emilia at least had some closure. Never played Lute's quest though.

Jun 1, 2019
OHMAHGAHHHH I JUST FOUND OUT AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

One of my favorite games getting remastered and all of the cut and unfinished content is getting put back into it? This made my year no lie lol. I was on the verge of replaying Asellus's quest too, I'mma hold off on that for now.

I'm gonna spend the next hour looking up Tomomi Kobayashi's concept/promotional art for the game in celebration:

Cv4Tj6HWYAAJUC5

maxresdefault.jpg

484789-saga_art12.jpg

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018

I remember renting this when I was younger and I enjoyed it a lot... but I remember just being absolutely confused as all hell when I was playing it. I'm hoping that was just because I was a kid and not paying attention closely enough at the time. Most of all I just remember the battle system seeming really random when dealing with skills though.

Looks pretty though. And I ABSOLUTELY remember that turtle boss kicking my ass every single time.
The superhero actually has a fully complete scenario. Red, T260G, Riki, and Emilia all have pretty complete and fleshed out storylines. Blue has a minimalist storyline that seems like it is a pretty complete form of what they intended. Asellus's story was notably unfinished, with dummied out events on the disc and event flag bugs in her scenario. Finally, Lute's story was either completely unfinished or intentionally super short.

The game is random about skills though. You have a random chance of learning new skills whenever you use a spell or tech with a human character. Actually, every character has some degree of randomness when it comes to learning new skills, I think. It usually works out fine, though. So long as you keep fighting, you will continue to learn new and stronger skills.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Cool surprise. Mainly remember the cool art style and backgrounds while game wise at this point I just remember starting it and how hard it seemed back then as a kid, so it will be interesting to revisit this one.

This announcement made me recall an old promo VHS for Final Fantasy VII I got in the mail way back when. In addition to some interview snippets with the likes of Sakaguchi and Uematsu, it had trailers for several then-upcoming Squaresoft PS1 titles. It was the first time I ever saw footage of SaGa Frontier, and I just recall the art and color blew me away:

Nostalgia overload, I remember getting that tape too.

bakedpony

Oct 27, 2017
Blue's quest does not even have an ending. Beat the final boss and you get a big old 'THE END'. Emilia at least had some closure. Never played Lute's quest though.
Lute is kinda like the CREATE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE character. You have an intro and theb a final dungeon. You need to fill in the middle so that you will be strong enough to beat the boss.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I still have my copy sitting on a shelf, though I don't have a VCR hooked up to play it.
Nice. I know I've never knowingly thrown mine out either, since I always wanted to keep it, so I'm pretty sure it's somewhere among my old stored tapes too, heh.

Yeah, once we stopped needing to tape shows I never bothered to break out the spare backup one I think I still have after my last combo player started eating tapes and I unhooked it.

Last edited:

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
Thinking about this again, one thing I really hope they do is fix Emilia's gameplay problems. Two of her costumes don't do anything, and a third is awful (because Annie's spark table is clearly broken). She seems designed to use guns and magic, but her ability to learn spells and gun attacks is literally the worst of any human. Her best stat is only good fir charming enemies, but the charm spell is exclusive to Mystics. Despite all of that she is still functional, but it would be nice if she could be a bit more comparable to the other protagonists.

Lute is kinda like the CREATE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE character. You have an intro and theb a final dungeon. You need to fill in the middle so that you will be strong enough to beat the boss.
I would agree with this if it weren't for the fact that Lute doesn't even see the events in Scrap in his own route, despite being one of the key members of the Scrap Pub team in literally every other route. He clearly needed at least a few more events.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
SaGa fans should thank Masanori Ichikawa, the extremely passionate SE producer responsible for SaGa remakes/remasters.

yZSkf53J_400x400.jpg

He is a HUGE fan of SaGa (and Kawazu's work), was shocked to find no SaGa remasters and did it himself.

Read this interview to see just how crazy big fan he is of the series.

He also has a Twitter. Send your thanks here : https://twitter.com/saga_ichikawa

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No dirt, just a crazy fan of a producer doing his best to release great SaGa remasters/remakes

They employed the JRPG remake masters ArtePiazza for Romancing SaGa 2 and 3 remakes. So, I wouldn't call them "low budget".

Thanks the passionate producer Masanori Ichikawa

Credit where credit is do.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
From the famitsu link in my last post:

Dammit this shit looks so good. Those backgrounds, and the character styles mesh with them so well

Edit: I like the extra detail of the character shadows that have the shape of the character model. They had them for a certain part of the game (you know the one), but it looks like you can see them more often now.

Last edited:

mausterhunter

Feb 1, 2019
I bought this game after finishing FFVII, expecting something similar just because it was another Square jam. Boy, it blew my mind how different it was, and I couldn't really get it into it back then. I'm interested in giving it another chance on its own merits now, so many years later.

Vilor

Oct 28, 2017
One of my favorite ps1 rpgs! As many other posters, I often think about the music. Posting my favorite track since I haven't seen it posted yet :)

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
I could go for some Saga Frontier 2. That game is dear to my heart because it was one of the few non-FF Squaresoft games that actually got a PAL release back in the day. Pretty baffling given we missed out games like Chrono Cross and Xenogears.

I never played the original Saga Frontier as they never released it in PAL.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder if I'll finish all characters this time. I started to play this in earnest last year on my vita and got through 3 characters with use of a guide. Game surprised me in how much I enjoyed it with knowing where to go at least. Having one less thing to worry about with all its obtuse mechanics made it interesting for sure. Doubt I'll get back to it before this drops though.

Emerald

Oct 25, 2017
SaGa is done by ArtePiazza, so you're right in that they are as good because it's all the same company.

I think the question is more of why the recent DQ switch ports and pre-PS1 FF PC releases aren't as good or handled by them, considering the amount of complaints they get about how the sprites and UI look compared to the praise the SaGa remaster's seem to get, though a lot of the PC FF ports were done before the RS remasters.

Last edited:

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
OUR LORD AND SAVIOR KAWAZU WAITED UNTIL I BOUGHT SCARLET GRACE TO ANNOUNCE THIS!

I literally bought that the day this was announced!

1 STEP CLOSER TO ROMANCING SAGA MINSTREL SONG!

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
honestly, this is all ive been thinking about since the news dropped. SaGa Frontier is such a HUGE part of what i remember when i think of those golden days in my youth, spending seasons in my room lost in some game or other. Red's scenario in particular always stuck with me and directly inspired some of my own creative works. i think SF might be one of my top 3 most beloved PS1 RPGs. this is so insane and cool and wonderful and i cant wait.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
This seals it, they didn't release RS1 because they're can't just go with the unfinished SFC game remastered or even the Wonderswan version.
It's gonna take a while but we're gonna get a recent version of the best ps2 game ever sooner or later!
Only SaGa Frontier II and Unlimited left on the table anyway.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I almost made a thread about how much I was enjoying Saga Frontier 2 until the story seemed to become increasingly sparse and I faced a nearly impossible strategy battle. Something something hill? Hopefully they can expand that one a little bit when they do do it, but who knows if I can beat that game ...

Oct 25, 2017
You'd assume that Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest would receive this sort of polish for their past entries.

FF 1/2/3/4 and DQ 1/2/3/4/5 have each been remade top-to-bottom multiple times each.

I almost made a thread about how much I was enjoying Saga Frontier 2 until the story seemed to become increasingly sparse and I faced a nearly impossible strategy battle. Something something hill? Hopefully they can expand that one a little bit when they do do it, but who knows if I can beat that game ...

The Battle of South Moundtop is the final strategy battle, and one of the worst things Square ever put in a game of that era. Just truly and utterly terrible. Even the "best" strategy only has a 70-80% chance of working, as far as I can recall.

SaGa is done by ArtePiazza, so you're right in that they are as good because it's all the same company.

I think the question is more of why the recent DQ switch ports and pre-PS1 FF PC releases aren't as good or handled by them, considering the amount of complaints they get about how the sprites and UI look compared to the praise the SaGa remaster's seem to get, though a lot of the PC FF ports were done before the RS remasters.

The FF 5/6 ports aren't even recent, at this point. They're fairly barebones ports of the GBA games to get them playable on mobile.

Much of it comes down to availability. DQ and FF get released for every generation, basically, to have permanent availability but get less effort per release. SaGa and Mana games get reworked every other decade, and get more effort per release.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
FF 1/2/3/4 and DQ 1/2/3/4/5 have each been remade top-to-bottom multiple times each.

The Battle of South Moundtop is the final strategy battle, and one of the worst things Square ever put in a game of that era. Just truly and utterly terrible. Even the "best" strategy only has a 70-80% chance of working, as far as I can recall.
I literally quit the game and never went back

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
The increasing sparseness of the Gustav storyline after the founding of Hahn Nova is definitely the weakpoint of the game. At least the Knights storyline is pretty fleshed out and complete.

I used a stretegy guide to beat the Battle of South Moundtop, but at least there is a fairly reliable way to clear it. It is a battle you can only win by delaying the enemy and running out the clock, so it is definitely unintuitive.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018

With the SaGa projects and hopefully Live A Live getting a similar treatment, I would be incredibly happy if S-E just made the producer behind these re-releases in charge of back catalog management and hired ArtePiazza to remaster their back catalog to the same standard. Because it's really a shame that it's 2020 and I can't play FF 1-6 or DQ 4-6 on Switch or other platforms.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
With the SaGa projects and hopefully Live A Live getting a similar treatment, I would be incredibly happy if S-E just made the producer behind these re-releases in charge of back catalog management and hired ArtePiazza to remaster their back catalog to the same standard. Because it's really a shame that it's 2020 and I can't play FF 1-6 or DQ 4-6 on Switch or other platforms.

Are we completely sure ArtePiazza weren't responsible for the ports of DQ1-3?

DQ ports/remakes is their main staple; they did DQ4-7 on DS & 3DS and did the 2D mode for Dragon Quest XI(S).

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Are we completely sure ArtePiazza weren't responsible for the ports of DQ1-3?

DQ ports/remakes is their main staple; they did DQ4-7 on DS & 3DS and did the 2D mode for Dragon Quest XI(S).

No idea but I don't think you can get them on PC, and the 4-6 remakes are still locked to DS unfortunately.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So the official site is up (saw it in Gematsu's article) and it has a little more information on that. Gematsu's translation says you need to beat it with everyone. I did a machine translation of the site and it suggests you only need to beat it with one character. That's certainly more reasonable. It'd still be better if he was unlocked from the get-go, especially for replays down the line, but beating the game with Emelia or Lute is pretty quick once you know what you're doing.

The official site also suggests the new content is just for Asellus's scenario. On one hand that's understandable - all the actual on-disc data that is dummied out and such is for Asellus (BioLab, Furdo, Kurenai Escape). If they were limited to what was actually started at some point for the game, then it makes sense. A lot of other cut content is more assumed (Emelia's scenario feels like it's missing a lot) or was just talked about in interviews (the relationship system in Red's quest).

Obviously, it'd be nice to see a lot more. But if we just get Fuse plus a better Asellus quest, along with general UI, visual, and QoL upgrades, I'll be totally happy with it.

This was my bad. Should have said "of any of the other seven protagonists" rather than simply "of the other seven protagonists."