• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
sackboy37kan.png

(Banner credit to Resetera's egg!)

Iconic PlayStation® hero Sackboy bursts back into breathtaking action with a huge, fun and frantic 3D multiplayer platforming adventure – and a whole new edgy sackitude!

The dastardly Vex (a near-mythical being born of chaos and fear, no less) kidnaps Sackboy's friends and forces them to build his Topsy Turver. This most deadly diabolical device will transform Craftworld from a fantastical land of pure imagination and innocent dreams… into a torrid, barren eyesore of nightmares. Ooh the fiend!

But legend tells of a prophecy from deep within the ancient order of the Knitted Knights, Craftworld's legendary protectors. For only the brave, fearless, chivalrous and, yes, gallant can save the day in an almost too dramatic for words race against time stuffed with danger and peril. So much peril.

Set off alone or with your bravest friends on a whirlwind of capers across the snowiest mountains, the leafiest jungles, the wettest underwater realms and the, uh, spaciest of space colonies.

Take down Vex. Save the sack-folk. Save the day. It's time to fulfill your destiny, Sackboy. From woolly wonderkid and hessian hero… rise our Knitted Knight!

---------------------------------------

Sackboy: A Big Adventure (PS4, PS5)
Developer: Sumo Digital
Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment
Released: November 12, 2020
MSRP: $59.99
($89.99 for Special Edition with plush toy)

81W13YKKR1L._SL1353_.jpg

81s%2BycLttPL._SL1361_.jpg

911O2JWlOXL._SL1500_.jpg

So this is a spinoff title, made as a 3rd person platformer rather than a 2d sidescroller. While not having the create mode that the series is known for, it moves away from the floaty physics based platforming and instead aims to be more like platformers with responsive controls and diverse movesets ala Mario Super 3D World.

You can play by yourself, but there's also coop modes with both online and local multiplayer.

Launch trailer:

Story trailer:

Announcement trailer:

Sumo Digital introduces Sackboy:

Screenshots:

3246008-4261548665-sackboy-a-big-adventure-screenshot-02-en-16jun20.jpg

3246007-8818662967-sackboy-a-big-adventure-screenshot-01-en-16jun20.jpg

3246006-1479175240-sackboy-a-big-adventure-screenshot-07-en-16jun20.jpg

3205472-screenshot_2020-06-19%20sackboy%20a%20big%20adventure%20-%20announcement%20trailer%20ps5.png

Metacritic: 83
Opencritic: 80

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love the title!

My PS4 auto-downloaded Sackboy but I'll wait until next week to play it on the PS5 (tier 2 country lol).

OP
OP
Arta

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Glad everyone likes the OT, really didn't want to mess it up, lol.

Game looks so good. I wasn't expecting Bruno Mars music in the game.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Waiting for mine to finish copying and then I can jump in! LOVEEEEEEEEEEEE this universe so much !!

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
This game is so far pretty amazing. I love that Sackboy has a voice. It has all of the charm of LBP games but in this really tight mario-esque world. Sumo Digital doing it again (I loved LBP3).

Also, Sacktiger joins the crew

5y9ERvn.jpg

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Excited to play this! Previously had intended to wait til PS5 game prices dropped (they're pretty steep here in Australia), but a friend tipped me off to a retailer charging basically last-gen prices.

So Sackboy is in the mail! I'll most likely have my copy weeks before I have my console.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
This would be a great game to play with my son. I'll have to grab a second PS5 controller soon and a copy of this.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
The artbook is pretty cool too. They didn't skimp on the quality, it's small but hard cover and on good paper stock.

Now to try to 100% this third level :)
Looking forward to unboxing for myself and playing of course. The only issue is keeping all the DLC on a separate PSN account, but I'll get used to that. I wasn't going to miss out on getting this tiger plush especially after LBP collector's editions were time and time again exclusive to North America despite the studios making the games being British.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome OT Arta and egg! This is probably the game that has me most interested in one day getting a PS5. Like, way down the line when it's cheap but I'll see if anything else appealing to me comes out in the meantime. I'm a platformer guy so there was not much I felt like I missed out out in the world of PS4 exclusives...but this looks great (I like the sound of Astrobot too). I loved 🐍 Snake Pass so I'm wondering if some of the same folks at Sumo worked on this game. Anyway, eager to read more impressions so I can play it vicariously through y'all.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Played it(Ps5 version) for few hours in couch coop with my wife.
This game is pretty awesome, the colors pop and the controls are sublime.
The soundtracks are amazing and biggest surprise is good haptics and sound effects from the dualsense.
Good customization and snappy loading.
A lot of cool enemies and creative leveling and hidden secrets, definitely one of my highlights of my first day with PS5 .

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Awesome OT Arta and egg! This is probably the game that has me most interested in one day getting a PS5. Like, way down the line when it's cheap but I'll see if anything else appealing to me comes out in the meantime. I'm a platformer guy so there was not much I felt like I missed out out in the world of PS4 exclusives...but this looks great (I like the sound of Astrobot too). I loved 🐍 Snake Pass so I'm wondering if some of the same folks at Sumo worked on this game. Anyway, eager to read more impressions so I can play it vicariously through y'all.

It's on PS4 also, if you have one

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
MY GOODNESS!!! this game is so good! just did the first level and it just oozes good vibes!!! gives astrobot a run for it's money!! so glad to see more a sackboy!! They always kill it with the soundtack too!!

Erdtree

Oct 25, 2017
Is this game a free upgrade to ps5 version coz i thought sony wasn't doing that on first party games?

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
wound up grabbing a ps5 earlier on amazon so went to target to get some games, this being one of them. actually bought the ps4 one by accident because I didn't see any ps5 ones/didn't know there were two versions, but it worked out because I can play it now while I wait for my ps5 to arrive this weekend

so far it's super packed with charm, controls and plays really well. just a pretty chill and relaxing game, so far at least. definitely seeing a lot of influence from older games like 3d marios and donkey kong country. that being said it really does strike home just how ahead of its time mario galaxy was. really looking forward to seeing what else they do with the levels here in sackboy though, and how the differences are with the ps5 version and using the dual sense. good stuff so far, very fun

Is this game a free upgrade to ps5 version coz i thought sony wasn't doing that on first party games?

it says it was on the box so it better be otherwise i'll be pretty upset lol

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really enjoying this. I think it would be getting more attention if not for Astro's Playroom, but it's actually more fleshed out in many ways. Strong recommend.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I'm pretty excited to get this after I 100% Crash 4... But it's so weird to have the game be out and no reviews (due to sony not sending copies I think).

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
This game is very very fucking good. The music and atmosphere it's so good.

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Can anyone comment on how the controls and movement feels? The LBP games felt like they had input lag and felt really floaty. Is this the same or is it really responsive?

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Just read the ps4 version is gonna be 60fps, too. Does the ps5 version have anything over it other than graphics and ssd stuff?

Gigi A

Oct 26, 2017
Austin, TX
I only have a question about costumes. Does everything transfer over into this game?

Can anyone comment on how the controls and movement feels? The LBP games felt like they had input lag and felt really floaty. Is this the same or is it really responsive?

From the OP

"-it moves away from the floaty physics based platforming and instead aims to be more like platformers with responsive controls and diverse movesets ala Mario Super 3D World."

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
This is what a console launch needs. Unbridled joy on a Nintendo scale. It takes a while to get there but it gets there.

If you think music plays a key part in making a game good, this is essential. The widest smiles come from the song selection.

The controls are never frustrating because the game is rarely demanding but Sackboy still can't compete with the movement of Mario. He feels closer to Yoshi IMHO.

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
Just played the first two levels. The presentation is fantastic: lovely menu and ingame music, great sound effects, stunning visuals and art direction, UI, ... You can tell a lot of hard work and passion went into making this game. I'm playing on base PS4 and other than some small texture loading issues, performance is very solid so far. I can't wait to replay this on a PS5 with a 4K tv though.

Control wise, it's very different compared to previous LBP games but in a good way. However, i still feel it's slightly less snappy than it should be (hard to pinpoint why exactly) and there's a generous amount of "magnetism" to make some tasks easier (like snapping to a rope). Also, if you are looking for a challenge, this might not be the game for you.

So far, i'm impressed with this. Looking forward to playing more.

Last edited:

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
Beat the first world and found two secret world areas. Game is dope. Soundtrack is fantastic and the art design is incredible. Very creative and simply fun. It's just a joy to play so far.

This is what a console launch needs. Unbridled joy on a Nintendo scale. It takes a while to get there but it gets there.

If you think music plays a key part in making a game good, this is essential. The widest smiles come from the song selection.

The controls are never frustrating because the game is rarely demanding but Sackboy still can't compete with the movement of Mario. He feels closer to Yoshi IMHO.
Totally agree. I could see this being a Yoshi game. It really reminds me of some of the more modern ones, mixed with a lot of inspiration from just about every other platformer.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Wrote this game off as generic launch fodder, but happy to see its really good actually. By the time I get my console this game might be cheaper.