• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yet another question, looking at the バイトクエスト list, I seem to have met some of the criteria for these. Will any of them retroactively unlock as I have yet to unlock the バイトクエスト option yet, which I'd imagine is through a substory :)
Once you clear the side story to open up the completion list the game will spend the next 30 minutes giving you award after award for everything you cleared. I just left my console on and walked away while it did so!

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Pity about the combat for the post game boss. Definitely feel like despite base combat against goons being fun, I'm still not convinced about boss fight gameplay, would that be a fair assessment Xypher? Content amount wise it sounds fine, but definitely sounds like they need to retool bosses for a sequel should they stick with RPG styled combat.
I think that during the main game there are some really tense boss fights later on, they just end up reusing the same idea for how to make a boss fight engaging multiple times, so the first time it happens you might be like "woah, that's a cool idea", but the post game boss also reuses that same idea with the exact same execution and at that point you are just like "yeah, I know how to deal with this"
Bosses change between different fighting styles, that have different properties, one for example will interrupt multi hit attacks, so you will only be able to land the first attack of a combo. They just reuse the exact same styles three times.
Yet another question, looking at the バイトクエスト list, I seem to have met some of the criteria for these. Will any of them retroactively unlock as I have yet to unlock the バイトクエスト option yet, which I'd imagine is through a substory :)
It depends, the item ones you can hand it at any time, the fight x amount of that enemy type only start counting once it's on the list. If you talk about challenges, they will always track, I think.

OP
OP
Mendrox

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So the turn based combat is a nice change for the series? You guys liking it?

I can't wait for the localized version of this.

Personally I love it and its way more interesting than every past Yakuza for me. The beat m up was always just a way to get to the good bits for me :p

Is this the FFXV of the Yakuza series?

So far I like the banter here way more. Everything else is a notch above 15 for me easily. But I also didn't like 15 except for the group banter. It feels way more natural here though.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Skimming this thread has me tremendously hyped as expected. Although, while this might be a pipe dream, I can't help but hope they add a higher difficulty option in a dlc or patch.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't be the first time a RGG game gets a DLC difficulty patch (HGG did). If difficulty is enough of an issue that Japanese fans especially complain on social media I can see RGGS responding.

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to feel like a long wait for the western release but I'm so happy to see a lot of positive impressions about the new approach in the series. Exciting!

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
if it's not a huge spoiler, do they explain just
how the heck Joon-gi Han is alive after getting shot in the head?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
if it's not a huge spoiler, do they explain just
how the heck Joon-gi Han is alive after getting shot in the head?
Yeah, and I don't know about anyone else but I sorta love the explanation, even though honestly its Yakuza 3 levels of WTF:

Basically Joon - the master assassin had a body double for reasons (not sure if that's really the right way to describe it. Essentially there are many people who take the same mantle and operate as Joon Gi Han, and the one that died in 6 was just one of many. So file that one under Yakuza 3's twins you've never heard of before, or even better, Yakuza 2's "evil Kazuki because". Ah Yakuza and clones... a long and storied career of bringing characters back for reasons. Honestly I was legit more worried that it'd be a cop out about how it was either rubber bullets or he miraculously survived (or just not mentioning it at all, somehow this explanation is more believeable, even though in itself is unbelieveable

Apologies if parts of the details are somewhat incorrect, I got that from the discord channel discussing the plot, and so there might be key details I missed. I don't know as I've not got to that part yet, I just couldn't resist looking it up either.

Last edited:

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Just stupidly spent 8000 reward points from 缶拾い at the homeless camp on an insect i could just pluck from a tree. Finally unlocked Baito Quest so I'll just tackle it but by bit. Looks like minigame stuff gives stat boosts but no stars for ranking up?

Last edited:

Anbec

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I'm out of the loop but this is on my list of games for 2020.

Just a question, can you customize ichiban or the hairdo is permanent?

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Just stupidly spent 8000 reward points from 缶拾い at the homeless cant on an insect i could just pluck from a tree. Finally unlocked Baito Quest so I'll just tackle it but by bit. Looks like minigame stuff gives stat boosts but no stars for ranking up?
Yeah, the challenges, which are essentially the previous games completion list, only give personality stats, in order to rank up you'll need to do support or rescue quests, support quests usually require you to obtain items, there are some exceptions, like one asked me to find some cats, rescue missions seemingly all need you to fight, either specific encounters, or really just beat a certain number of specific enemies.

Also those bugs you can buy are required for weapon crafting, including ultimate weapons. I wish I had known that instead of saving up and then using all my points on the Pachislot cheat Medals.
I'm out of the loop but this is on my list of games for 2020.

Just a question, can you customize ichiban or the hairdo is permanent?
Different jobs (classes) have different outfits, with some having hats, but otherwise the hairstyle is permanent outside of possible cosmetic dlc.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, and I don't know about anyone else but I sorta love the explanation, even though honestly its Yakuza 3 levels of WTF:

Basically Joon - the master assassin had a body double for reasons (not sure if that's really the right way to describe it. Essentially there are many people who take the same mantle and operate as Joon Gi Han, and the one that died in 6 was just one of many. So file that one under Yakuza 3's twins you've never heard of before, or even better, Yakuza 2's "evil Kazuki because". Ah Yakuza and clones... a long and storied career of bringing characters back for reasons. Honestly I was legit more worried that it'd be a cop out about how it was either rubber bullets or he miraculously survived (or just not mentioning it at all, somehow this explanation is more believeable, even though in itself is unbelieveable

Apologies if parts of the details are somewhat incorrect, I got that from the discord channel discussing the plot, and so there might be key details I missed. I don't know as I've not got to that part yet, I just couldn't resist looking it up either.

I was expecting something dumb or outrageous...it's a bit of both, but given past events, this actually fits in quite fine LOL. I completely forgot about Kazuki too hahaha.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the challenges, which are essentially the previous games completion list, only give personality stats, in order to rank up you'll need to do support or rescue quests, support quests usually require you to obtain items, there are some exceptions, like one asked me to find some cats, rescue missions seemingly all need you to fight, either specific encounters, or really just beat a certain number of specific enemies.

Also those bugs you can buy are required for weapon crafting, including ultimate weapons. I wish I had known that instead of saving up and then using all my points on the Pachislot cheat Medals.

Different jobs (classes) have different outfits, with some having hats, but otherwise the hairstyle is permanent outside of possible cosmetic dlc.
Hows the cheat medals for the pachi stuff? I've mainly been buying bugs to do the missions so far (and doing some more of the can collection mini game to keep my points up). I'm tempted to grab some medals as well in the future as I really want to experience Pachi Slots without too much frustration!

I was expecting something dumb or outrageous...it's a bit of both, but given past events, this actually fits in quite fine LOL. I completely forgot about Kazuki too hahaha.

Yup, its kinda silly but honestly, not especially all that madder compared to previous game plot twists!

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Hows the cheat medals for the pachi stuff? I've mainly been buying bugs to do the missions so far (and doing some more of the can collection mini game to keep my points up). I'm tempted to grab some medals as well in the future as I really want to experience Pachi Slots without too much frustration!
They're okay? They do their job, but don't expect to use a single set of them and then you are able to buy a platinum plate, but it was enough to fulfill the challenge associated with the specific machine I had them for. Also you can just straight up buy them for yen later in the game, and you'll have more than enough money at that point. Those bugs you can only either loot or buy there and you need relatively large numbers of specific ones.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
They're okay? They do their job, but don't expect to use a single set of them and then you are able to buy a platinum plate, but it was enough to fulfill the challenge associated with the specific machine I had them for. Also you can just straight up buy them for yen later in the game, and you'll have more than enough money at that point. Those bugs you can only either loot or buy there and you need relatively large numbers of specific ones.
Good stuff. Where can you buy them from? I'll just do that and not waste my recycling points on them. Any idea about the locations silver? bugs that you need? I noticed you can get them in the Shogi rewards menu but I'm wondering if its easier to get them elsewhere, as me getting more Shogi reward points is unlikely, I cleared the challenge mode and have about 20K of the things, but doubt I'll be able to get many/any more as I'm really bad at Shogi. Aside from random drops I'm hoping there's another place you can get them.

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Good stuff. Where can you buy them from? I'll just do that and not waste my recycling points on them. Any idea about the locations silver? bugs that you need? I noticed you can get them in the Shogi rewards menu but I'm wondering if its easier to get them elsewhere, as me getting more Shogi reward points is unlikely, I cleared the challenge mode and have about 20K of the things, but doubt I'll be able to get many/any more as I'm really bad at Shogi. Aside from random drops I'm hoping there's another place you can get them.
It seems like you can just loot the silver bugs as well, but I'm sorry, I don't remember where exactly I got them, but for the 3 ultimate weapons which i got, I didn't need to play shogi even once, so I assume that I either looted them enough during the course of the game, or they might not be needed as much.
For the medals: Once Ichi becomes a demolisher (you need to switch to the job at least once after unlocking it) you unlock a field skill, which will allow you to open up some new things across the city, in a shop you unlock that way you can get some of them, you can also buy some at stores you will naturally come across as you get further in the game. I don't know if you can buy all kinds of them, but skimming through it quickly it seems like you can at least buy one cheat item / specific slot machine.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like you can just loot the silver bugs as well, but I'm sorry, I don't remember where exactly I got them, but for the 3 ultimate weapons which i got, I didn't need to play shogi even once, so I assume that I either looted them enough during the course of the game, or they might not be needed as much.
For the medals: Once Ichi becomes a demolisher (you need to switch to the job at least once after unlocking it) you unlock a field skill, which will allow you to open up some new things across the city, in a shop you unlock that way you can get some of them, you can also buy some at stores you will naturally come across as you get further in the game. I don't know if you can buy all kinds of them, but skimming through it quickly it seems like you can at least buy one cheat item / specific slot machine.
Cool, thanks for the info. I've had a look at wiki's that show the bug locations, but looks like they randomly respawn after time. Probably easier to buy them though. I'll just leave those quests for later once I reach those areas, not like I don't have plenty to be getting on with currently!

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Just stupidly spent 8000 reward points from 缶拾い at the homeless camp on an insect i could just pluck from a tree. Finally unlocked Baito Quest so I'll just tackle it but by bit. Looks like minigame stuff gives stat boosts but no stars for ranking up?

Don't feel too bad. I spent 500,000 points on a handbag.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite franchise is switching to my favorite genre, this is shaping up to be my GOTY. I hope they announce the west release date already

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
Is there any word on how long this game is? My one concern when the game was announced to be an rpg was that the battles would inflate the games length and cause it to feel like its dragging on near the end. The previous yakuza games already had a pretty good playtime length even without doing all the bonus stuff, adding onto it kinda seems like overkill and could make it wear out its welcome.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any word on how long this game is? My one concern when the game was announced to be an rpg was that the battles would inflate the games length and cause it to feel like its dragging on near the end. The previous yakuza games already had a pretty good playtime length even without doing all the bonus stuff, adding onto it kinda seems like overkill and could make it wear out its welcome.
I'm still at the start of chapter five and I'm 18 hours in. Just running around battling.

OP
OP
Mendrox

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Damn how have I played already 15 hours and it doesn't feel like it. It just gets better for me. Chapter 5 is the real start I guess.

Battle are quick that is not the problem. Just a ton of stuff to do again lol

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
How did you already get that many. Just by doing the 上級 course over and over ?
Yeah. If you get at least 700 points, you'll get anywhere from 10,000-15,000 points per playthrough. It's not that hard; just aim for at least 300 points before the runaway girl shows up then pick up as many of her cans as possible.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ive still not claimed any of the previous DLC yet... I really gotta get back on this game this weekend!

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Some of the animations they do after winning a battle is sure noticeable. Best for me is Adachi who is constantly flexing/trying to show off. Cracks me up!

Yeah :P
There was a lot of love put in that game.

Terrific sound track also... i am 45 hours in, 11th chapter, and i still am not bored from the main combat themes... it's quite a feat.
The yawning got the better of me for today, bed is calling.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
22 hours in, still on Chapter 5. What is the max level for a job? I was hoping 10 as I grinded up to that, but alas it is not. Managed to venture to the northernmost part of the map. I can only assume it is based on Minatomirai in real Yokohama? This is also where we can bump into a returning side story NPC.

Absolutely gorgeous area and a great spot to buy flowers, ingredients (to give to the bartender in Survive ) and pick up insects for BaitoQuest requests. Had to resort to using my first summon, as the levels of enemies took me by surprise.

Completed Saeko's bond and quest, got a nice bit of change from it and crafted a nice handbag for her. She packs a punch.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Max ranking levels and jobs is actually super easy. People have found some excellent reliable spawn points for the metal slime type enemies that net you millions of XP and job XP in one run. Doesn't even require tons of grinding either. Only catch is the dungeon is in Kamurocho so not available until end game.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Max ranking levels and jobs is actually super easy. People have found some excellent reliable spawn points for the metal slime type enemies that net you millions of XP and job XP in one run. Doesn't even require tons of grinding either. Only catch is the dungeon is in Kamurocho so not available until end game.
metal slime type enemies? This I have to see haha

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Oh yeah, about that, it's one dungeon in which every second encounter is one of them, only downside is that they're capped at level 50 and so I wouldn't call maxing normal levels "easy", it still takes quite a long time grinding up. That's the reason I stopped at mid 70, because it just starts taking a while to level up and normal levels are barely worth any stats anyways (every stat +1 at level 70+ is less than a 0,5% increase). It could be that once you reach level 90+ the stats are getting really good increases though, as I saw a video of someone at level 97 and that persons Ichi had almost 300 more hp than mine.

Job ranks always give good increases though, and once you can easily level those, the stat increases you get through certain thresholds are actually pretty nice, and seemingly carryover to other jobs, especially the ones that give you defense up are pretty helpful.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry Kamiyama, you were great and all but 7's new weapon modding character is now my favourite source of stronger weapons! Love her animations when upgrading a weapon! Speaking of which, got a nice upgraded Bat and a couple of other weapons....

Also spent a little time in the batting cages, aside from the little intro bit where Ichiban enters the batting cage feeling smoother its basically the same as the last couple of games in terms of mechanics etc. Though I think they've brought back the music from Yakuza 5? Or am I wrong on that one? Great fun either way, its one of my favourite legacy mini games, Son of Sparda will no doubt enjoy it ;)

Otherwise did a little more on the story, some fun fights (I have a badass team up move with Adachi now) and some cool scenes with Saeko as well (who is already my new favourite female character in Yakuza, not that its a big pool to pick from...) Seriously though, its really nice to have a lady in your party for this game, especially with some of the optional dialogue she gets with the guys.

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019

Ok, not as a stupid explanation as I was expecting. I can work with that.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
shadowman16

You may want to also spend time in the Business minigame. It's a source of big money (300man for you per 10 minutes of play when you have reached the top level). There is also a one-shot reward for reaching the top, and it's a "game-changer". It's a big time investment though, but it was worth it for me.

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
shadowman16

You may want to also spend time in the Business minigame. It's a source of big money (300man for you per 10 minutes of play when you have reached the top level). There is also a one-shot reward for reaching the top, and it's a "game-changer". It's a big time investment though, but it was worth it for me.
Completely agree with this, players should at least do it around chapter 8-9, the money income as well as the other rewards you get through it are absolutely worth the time investment.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I should have the business game unlocked soon, so yeah I plan on doing that as soon as I can. I just unlocked the style switching, so I'm playing around with a few different classes (I'm loving Adachi's riot cop class).

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

I just got that scene and have to correct you:

The one that died in 6 was the real Han Joon Gi, and the one in this one is the body double, he comments that he even underwent surgery to look just like the original, Ichi comments that now that the real one is dead, this one can live life as himself and asks him for his real name, but doesn't get a reply. In case you want to double check yourself, it was the rank 1 bond for him.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Also spent a little time in the batting cages, aside from the little intro bit where Ichiban enters the batting cage feeling smoother its basically the same as the last couple of games in terms of mechanics etc. Though I think they've brought back the music from Yakuza 5? Or am I wrong on that one? Great fun either way, its one of my favourite legacy mini games, @Son of Sparda will no doubt enjoy it ;)
You know me well :)

Hopefully there are nice prizes for doing crazy courses on batting cages.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I just got that scene and have to correct you:

The one that died in 6 was the real Han Joon Gi, and the one in this one is the body double, he comments that he even underwent surgery to look just like the original, Ichi comments that now that the real one is dead, this one can live life as himself and asks him for his real name, but doesn't get a reply. In case you want to double check yourself, it was the rank 1 bond for him.
Yeah, thanks on the correction for that, my understanding of the thing wasn't quite there. Still, I quite like the reasoning for it, guess he was popularly enough that they wanted to bring him back?

Anyway, made sod all progress in the plot because I decided to explore the rest of Ijincho now that I'm a little stronger, managed to go through China Town and the big park at the northern end of the map. China Town looks beautiful, so glad we got a bigger city in this game so we could get this as its own area and not a tiny part of a bigger map like in 6. And to my delight a Club Sega is here! (so that meant I spent a good while in it).
The park looks great at night and had a ton of bugs in it which was handy. Also a nice variety of enemies that helped me level up some more (always handy) as the new classes I'm using are great fun, some awesome moves especially for Adachi's riot cop. Also the Dragon Kart mini game is here, so I put some time into that, the drifting feels great and its a blast to play. And in true Yakuza fashion the mini game has its own side story and all the rivals get their own back stories... this is more effort than some dedicated kart racers get.

Managed to tick off a nice amount of the completion list stuff as well, and as I somehow had two plat plates to sell I managed to make a nice bit of money this evening. Oh, and passed the Sega written exam! Next I'll totally get back to the story...

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah it's been interesting, I've been doing certain abilities as Ichiban in the early game and it always misses..I hope somebody translates the skill list soon.

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yeah it's been interesting, I've been doing certain abilities as Ichiban in the early game and it always misses..I hope somebody translates the skill list soon.
If you tell me which job you use and how much mp the skill uses, as well as the icon before it, i can give you a quick translation of it. It's most likely a debuff that doesn't stick as attack skills almost always connect.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019

I bet it's カリスマの説得 (charismatic persuasion) . This early one makes an enemy drop an item and flee. The higher your 陽気 (cheerfulness) , the higher the chance of success.
I tried it once, it failed, and never tried again. I don't chase items.

There are skills that are increased by your low HP, skills that are increased the more you are overleveled, even one that increases with your company's realestate might xD

Everytime you see "が高いと成功しやすくなる" it means that, increased chance when what precedes is satisfied.
attributes will match what you see on your character sheet, so these are easy to identify.
They are not really worth your dear MPs in my opinion, but everyone has his own tactics :P