Ravager777

Jan 1, 2018
control_rtk5kfl.png

Control Raytracing. "RT Aus" is off, "RT Ein" is on. Taken from here: https://www.computerbase.de/2020-11...t/3/#diagramm-control-raytracing-in-2560-1440
Not really impressed by the performance of 6800 XT if this test result is indicative of the overall performance discrepancy to RTX 3070 / RTX 3080.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
Not really impressed by the performance of 6800 XT if this test result is indicative of the overall performance discrepancy to RTX 3070 / RTX 3080.
It's not, Control (besides stuff like Minecraft RTX) is basically a worst case scenario w.r.t. Raytracing -- OTOH, it's also one of the few titles which actually extensively use Raytracing for more than a few reflections here and there. But overall, the 6800 XT is definitely quite a bit worse at Raytracing than the 3080, while being more or less on par (1440p, 1080p) or slightly ahead (4K) otherwise.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
This launch seems to be going about as well as the Nvidia cards did...
As a 3080 owner I feel better with my choice. Was willing to wait for the 6000 lineup but didn't want to after I got one available.

Nice to see AMD at least competitive again. Means Nvidia can't just sit back and relax

R1CHO

Oct 28, 2017

www.techpowerup.com

AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT Review - NVIDIA is in Trouble

The Radeon RX 6800 XT is a worthy opponent to the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080. It offers similar performance at better power efficiency and lower noise levels. In our Radeon RX 6800 XT review, we also take a closer look at raytracing and "Rage Mode", a new 1-click method for overclocking.

It's definitely worst than 3070RTX in control.

In any case, and I am a RTX owner, in general the performance is pretty great on these AMD Cards, and RT is s niche.

Also that NICHE will probably keep growing because consoles are capable, but ey, consoles are AMD based, so probably optimization for that platform will be pretty good.

Tbh, only interesting RT game on PC right now is Control imo, and it still looks great without it.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't bode well for the new consoles. We're never gonna see 60fps+RT on series X or PS5

You were expecting 60fps path-tracing on the consoles?

People really have wild expectations for these things, even though we knew a month or so out that RT performance would roughly lag one generation behind nVidia.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Tech jesus has spoken. RT ain't even close and Nvidia cards are recommended for 4k.

Just like all the people here knew would happen.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
After watching the reviews I'm kinda happy I jumped on the 3080 when I did, the RT performance is about what I expected and the 4k performance is super jumpy

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Scan and Overclockers are completely dead. Currys don't even have any listings.

Going well so far.......

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
It's not, Control (besides stuff like Minecraft RTX) is basically a worst case scenario w.r.t. Raytracing -- OTOH, it's also one of the few titles which actually use quite a few forms of it. But overall, the 6800 XT is definitely quite a bit worse at Raytracing than the 3080, while being more or less on par (1440p, 1080p) or slightly ahead (4K) otherwise.

It feels reminiscent of Ryzen first gen. Generally ahead in certain regards, but with decided tradeoffs for other kinds of performance, and dramatically so. Very much requires someone to consider their use cases

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020

At sub 1080p in Minecraft....kinda. These results are disappointing to say the least, I mean we're getting below 2060 performance in some cases (without the inclusion of DLSS). that card has been available almost 2 years.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017

People really have wild expectations for these things, even though we knew a month or so out that RT performance would roughly lag one generation behind nVidia.

I was expecting some in gran turismo.

That's cruel JaseC.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
I dont know what some of y'all smoking. These are impressive results for first gen AMD raytracing.

Resident Guru

Oct 28, 2017
Rasterization performance is seriously great. Quite disappointing to see that RT is significantly behind cards that are over 2 years old. Hopefully with AMD having RT in the new consoles this will improve in new games and with driver updates.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So basically what we all predicted right. Competitive in raster , bad in RT , worse than gpus from two years ago. Price and availability will also be a factor , drivers too. Hopefully nvidia will keep innovating n shit

Oct 27, 2017
This may have been worse than Nvidia's launch. See y'all in Spring 2021 when you can actually order anything anywhere without bots involved.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
At sub 1080p in Minecraft....kinda. These results are disappointing to say the least, I mean we're getting below 2060 performance in some cases (without the inclusion of DLSS). that card has been available almost 2 years.

OTOH The 6800XT is faster than the 2080 Super FE, and the 2060 doesn't even make the chart in the computerbase Control /w RT benchmark above.

I just can't see that as disappointing. You all do you.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The 6800 XT's performance is facinating, outside of RTX and DLSS enabled games it is a competitive performer! However, in games that feature DLSS and Ray tracing the 6800 XT really struggles to compete.

Honestly, DLSS is such an incredible feature!

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
So, the thing AMD really needed to bring to the table to really take a bite out of Nvidia was availability.
That does not seem to be the case right now. Guess we'll see how things shake out over the next couple months, but it seems like it's going to be a scramble for these cards regardless of where they show up.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Doesn't inspire me to want to purchase one of these cards, but I'm glad the AMD tech is at least competitive (Outside of RT, which I'm sure will improve with their next gen). Nvidia needs the competition to keep their prices at semi-reasonable levels.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Rasterization performance is seriously great. Quite disappointing to see that RT is significantly behind cards that are over 2 years old. Hopefully with AMD having RT in the new consoles this will improve in new games and with driver updates.

I am not sure RT will perform well on AMD card and implementation seems to be different according to this Nvidia Omniverse employee who heard things from people he knows in the game industry about PS5 raytracing implementation. The other guy is a Naughty Dog guy. If it real it means two times more work to optimize RT on RTX card and AMD card.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I dont know what some of y'all smoking. These are impressive results for first gen AMD raytracing.
it is impressive for sure, but its competing with ampere gpus , is it not? While context matters always , the end result is the deciding factor for making purchasing decision

cwhazzoo

Apr 22, 2020
What at shitshow of a launch again. Some of the newegg product pages wouldnt even load until 24 minutes after launch for me and of course sold out. The ones that did load the add to cart button didnt work. AMD's site also had a busted add to cart and when it finally worked same story.

Any idea on when the best buy cards drop?

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
The Cyberpunk RT benchmarks are going to be a bloodbath for AMD. Just as well they released these cards beforehand.

Duck Sauce

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
United States
So this might be worse than the 3000 series. I actually saw those in stock but sold out once you added it into the cart. This loaded with just an out of stock when the cards went up.