• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stick with the WHO organization list of vaccines. This particular vaccine from Gamaleya Research Institute is still only recognized as phase 1 by the WHO:
www.who.int

COVID-19 vaccine tracker and landscape

These landscape documents have been prepared by the World Health Organization (WHO) for information purposes only concerning the 2019-2020 global of the novel coronavirus.

Also, fuck Russia. They're trying to grift some rubles and political points off an unproven vaccine that could ultimately make the pandemic worse if it's proven ineffective. I'm sure this vaccine will proliferate in all the quasi-dictator countries that are going to jump on this to score their own political points, too. So hopefully for the sake of all the people living in those countries, this vaccine works.

TigerKnee

Oct 27, 2017
Houston
Yeah, call it "Russian Racism" all you want, but I am certainly not going to be a beta tester for a KGB middle-manager turned petro-tyrant who has guided Russia into being the world's leading exporter of White Nationalism and counterfeit Adidas track-suits.

GTFOH

I mean, is it possible to have a conversation in here without people getting hostile? "GTFOH"? Seriously?

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
The scientists tested it on themselves? That sure is resident evil of them
a2c72c91d6e5440dbb765aae7ac9cd31.gif

Quiksaver

Oct 26, 2017
So this a decoy from coming involvement in Belarus, I take it.

It's pretty obvious they ain't got shit that's actually safe. See: number of cases versus deaths there.

Also: can we observe the OPs username for a moment? No reason.
At least this one is flat out spelling it

Countries like Brazil and Saudi Arabia on the other hand, I'm worried about.
It is completely within the realm of possibility that Brazil will pay a fortune for it

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
We're pretty corrupt, but I'm pretty confident we're not corrupt enough to skip the WHO list of vaccines.

Countries like Brazil and Saudi Arabia on the other hand, I'm worried about.

You are giving Trump and GOP too much credit. Trump is going to buy this vaccine from Russia no matter how bad it is since Trump can never be wrong

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, Cobra Commander says he has a vaccine. What you don't trust the Cobra Commander? Is this some sort of "lol Cobra" thinking or what?

Tuppen

Nov 28, 2017
I think there are valid suspicions that the clinical studies have been rushed to win the race. It's a really short development time. Of course, I'd expect Moderna and the US administration to do exactly the same if they were in the lead.

But yes, there is a lot of "hmmm, those untrustworthy Russkis" here. The vaccine likely works (imagine the worldwide ridicule it it didn't), will most likely be safe as well, even if it hasn't been comprehensively tested. I don't like this but a lot of people here are off the mark.

EDIT: I can see most people here don't seem to understand that the vaccine being a fake/not working/being harmful would be an obvious, easily found and absolutely terrible blow to Putin, who has just bet his and Russia's reputation in this. They wouldn't have done this if they were not sure (even if the testing is fraudulent, as I'm sure it is).
There is no way to be certain if the vaccine is effective and safe without a controlled trial. This is gambling not science.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
So what vaccines or drugs have Russia produced that were effective and sold on the international market?

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kirill Dmitriev, head of the country's RDIF sovereign wealth fund, said the vaccine would be marketed abroad under the brand name Sputnik V with international agreements to produce 500m doses and requests for 1 billion from 20 countries.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You are giving Trump and GOP too much credit. Trump is going to buy this vaccine from Russia no matter how bad it is since Trump can never be wrong
Trump won't pass on an opportunity to send Russia taxpayer money.

There are American companies developing coronavirus vaccines that are already further along in clinical trials than this Russian one. If we were going to cheat on this, then we would've done it already with those companies.

Don't start accusing me of defending Trump, btw. That's not what I'm doing right now.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I trust Canada's process to a point that when one is available here I will be first in line. Trump and Putin are cut from the same cloth and Trump wants this shit out before the election. I hope the process in the US isn't corrupted by the pressure.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
Well the silver lining here is if the FDA actually approves what is essentially a Phase I vaccine candidate for national use, we know to never trust the FDA with anything ever again. (I highly doubt it will happen)

Last edited:

pegaso

Oct 28, 2017
There is no way to be certain if the vaccine is effective and safe without a controlled trial. This is gambling not science.

I mean I totally agree with you, it should be science, but scientists can make very educated guesses before proper trials. Of course it's not science, it's motivated and pushed by geopolitics, I'm just arguing against the notions here in this thread that a) Russia is incapable of developing a working vaccine and b) Putin is an idiot ready to look like a fool in front of the whole world. Unethical and dangerous, yes, not incompetent or dumb.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm confused, doesn't Russia have some of the best scientists in the world? Why the hostility? It's understood that it would even be given for free

Or is it thinly veiled cold war era russian racism? Like the thinly veiled chinese racism we see all too often in OT here? Only the US or some Western Europe country would be « trustable »?

Also the better movie clip would be Contagion's CDC scientist injecting herself and not that Spiderman green goblin video as it's a lot more similar.
I think there are valid suspicions that the clinical studies have been rushed to win the race. It's a really short development time. Of course, I'd expect Moderna and the US administration to do exactly the same if they were in the lead.

But yes, there is a lot of "hmmm, those untrustworthy Russkis" here. The vaccine likely works (imagine the worldwide ridicule it it didn't), will most likely be safe as well, even if it hasn't been comprehensively tested. I don't like this but a lot of people here are off the mark.

EDIT: I can see most people here don't seem to understand that the vaccine being a fake/not working/being harmful would be an obvious, easily found and absolutely terrible blow to Putin, who has just bet his and Russia's reputation in this. They wouldn't have done this if they were not sure (even if the testing is fraudulent, as I'm sure it is).
You saved me from typing a long post. It always seemed to me that production of a successful vaccine was partially based on luck. Maybe one of Russia's early candidates panned out well so they didn't have as many failed tests. Just because it's Russia doesn't mean they can't produce a vaccine. In any case, we'll find out soon enough. The FDA won't approve it in the US without sound science backing it.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
How convenient that Trumps best friend came up with a cure just in time for the election. That's not sketchy at all. The WHO not endorsing it as viable will only make it more attractive to Trump and his dum-dum loyalists.

Oct 30, 2017
So this is like a phase I vaccine?

Yeah, no.

We already got vaccines shown to be effective during stage stage I and II, it's the phase III that still has to be properly tested!

Mr Coopz

Jul 21, 2019
Anti vaccine people's reaction sure is gonna be interesting considering they tend to be the same people that like and trust Putin lol.

darkwing

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
so they deemed it safe for use for millions based on less than a hundred test subjects?

Kodoku

Sep 20, 2019
I'll take a hard pass. If they haven't finished clinical trials, will it be like the Dengue Fever vaccine that killed a lot of children. Or the Swine Flu one that caused narcolepsy.

Hope our leader doesn't toss money towards Russia for it... but I don't have much faith in our puppet in chief.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
I'll wait for an internationally approved and validated one, thanks. Vlad doesn't get the benefit of the doubt since grifters are gonna grift.

If this does indeed turn out to be one, that's a good thing. But in what fucking reality do you have to be to not see the huge downsides and geopolitical influence in an early vaccine from a autocrat who is literally best known for lying?

Last edited:

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
There were stories about Russia being caught hacking some other nations' vaccine research efforts. Wouldn't put it past them for this vaccine to be a copy of the Oxford vaccine or any of the others. Putin taking chances that this isn't harmful to people. And if it turns out to be, they'll just eliminate that evidence anyway.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
It would be better to properly announce a vaccine that would have passed all stages of test but well, that's more political than anything at this point.
Anyway, I hope it will work...