A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
You cannot involve more countries in a full-blown war unless you want more death. NATO was made for defensive purposes of its member nations. It cannot be used for offensive strikes, especially for outsider nations.

Also, drones? Lol.

So do nothing then?

Do you want more death or what? Also the more reports that are coming out it appears that Putin is becoming unhinged and desperate. The Oligarchs being blindsided by this invasion is a pretty big sign.

Yes I am sure they were blindsided, the only ones that were are not juiced in and Putin doesn't care about those, the ones he does would have known.

I don't want more death, but a few sanctions and words isn't going to do anything, and as for these "cyber attacks that will stop Russian trains etc" give me a break.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I thought you were talking about Germany, anyway, my point still stands, Nuclear Energy has nothing to do with Germanys reliance on gas.

I don't know about the situation in Bulgaria.

Heat pumps and I'd guess district heating depending on the city (that doesn't use gas), all combined with good insulation.
What does Germany use for power generation. I know they have decent amount of wind and some solar, but that doesn't cover everything. Assuming mostly coal?

carlosrso

Oct 27, 2017
Ipatinga, Brazil
Russia is not Putin. Amazing demonstrations by the Russian People. I hope you succeed on convincing your politicianas that this war not only is costly but also stupid on a geopolitic basis.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I don't know. Nearly 2 million people protested in Hong Kong at one point and look where we are.

They can absolutely suppress these, but it's another point of pressure on them, and the sorts of protests they couldn't suppress would start out looking like this too, so still a positive development. Plus, Putin has always been in a position of being an authoritarian ruler, but one who was genuinely popular with his people. If this starts to lose him that, it's probably a good thing

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Russia is not Putin. Amazing demonstrations by the Russian People. I hope you succeed on convincing your politicianas that this war not only is costly but also stupid on a geopolitic basis.

I must applaud Olaf Scholz to point this difference out so clearly in his speech today, too. It's an important distinction to make.

Video Kojima

Banned
Apr 5, 2020
This is truly depressing. The catastrophizing nature in me is just prepping for inevitable nuclear annihilation over this
This is why language is very important. WW3 won't happen over Ukraine being invaded. NATO will never wage a war against Russia over a non-NATO member, so don't worry about WW3. If anything the war will cost Russia monetarily, enough to seriously damage its economy. And sanctions on top of this will only make things worse. Nobody wants WW3.

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017

Especially when you know that they will all be arrested just for peaceful protest and that will effectively black list them as a "foreign agent" for the rest of their lives.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Sorry, threads moving fast but I'm getting the significance of this. Judging by the news here it's a big deal but no one has explained why.
Unless Russian's destroy the reactor containment, no. The area is uninhabited but I imagine it holds strong significance for the people of Ukraine.
Reposting:

Significance of this is that it's less than 100 miles north of Kyiv, one of the shortest land routes from the Belarusian-Ukraine border (where Russia is moving troops in) to Kyiv. Low population density which makes it ideal. It's a staging ground for moving on the capital using the Hostomel military airfield.

KzwEuRH.png

Last edited:

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
User Banned (1 Month): Tasteless post in a sensitive thread
Germany and Italy being on the wrong side of a European conflict again? come on guys.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The irony on this is how the convoy is also currently happening. Those who believed they are "persecuted" and have no "freedoms" and this is how things really look like when things are ACTUALLY not free, with actual brave protestors with unknown fates if they get taken away...

That convoy shit is even more infuriating in light of recent events. Just stupid white Canadians get a slap on the wrist and fell over like they were soccer players.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Historically sanctions have been viewed as a legitimate exercise of sovereignty - a nation controlling their own internal affairs (which they're entitled to do) in such a way that it damages another nation. Some kinds of sanctions tend to blur that line a bit (like a naval blockade) but generally they're implemented through domestic economic policy.

Cyberattacks (in their most common forms) are pretty clearly an externally aggressive action when used by one nation state against another. There's no way to argue that they're an internal measure.

That's where the conceptual line lives at the moment.
I think unfortunately, conceptual lines have been obliterated given the events today.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Beautiful. Putin is not Russia.

No, but much like Trump with America he represents a disturbingly large portion of Russia. I still remember an article I read several years ago about how some absurd percentage of Russians think Stalin was just great.

But yes, it's easy to lose the reality that a large percentage of the Russian people don't agree with this bullshit. And it's tremendously brave of them to go out and do that on the day Putin himself warned anti-war protesters "could be" arrested.

This is truly depressing. The catastrophizing nature in me is just prepping for inevitable nuclear annihilation over this

It won't get anywhere near the level of nuclear warfare. If Putin launched a single nuke, he knows his own country would be an irradiated crater within minutes.

MAD is a very powerful incentive. My only fear of nukes is a future where making them becomes technologically easier for non-governmental entities, and you've suddenly got religious fundamentalists or decentralized terrorist organizations in possession of them - people who can't be bombed, or who don't care about self-preservation. But I doubt very much Vladimir Putin's end goal here is to become the King of the World's Ashes.

Rick44-4

Oct 8, 2020
I honestly don't think it will come close to this. Take a step away if its affecting you that badly.

Also I wouldn't be so happy with the protests in Russia as we know what will happen to alot of them. Try to temper your glee somewhat perhaps?
Unfortunately history has taught us to never doubt the depths of human cruelty, I hope to God it doesn't end as badly as it could but to say its impossible is sadly a lie.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Shit like this is just scary man. I'm at work and even though I'm in the US I'm constantly looking up what's happening. I feel for everyone over there, everyone who's impacted and will be impacted.

This is just wild. I can't even work.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
It think it's around 45%-50% renewables, around 30% coal and the rest is nuclear/gas/others. Something in that ballpark.
Makes sense. I just wonder what happens once the last 3 reactors go offline, would the mix go more toward gas?

Yeah, that helps. So most gas like folks previously stated is going toward home heating.

I also wonder if German industry is concerned due to things like Palladium likely spiking up (and aluminum, and other metals).

Mobius 1

Oct 27, 2017
North Point, Osean Federation
Reposting:

Significance of this is that it's 60 miles north of Kyiv, one of the shortest land routes from the Belarusian-Ukraine border (where Russia is moving troops in) to Kyiv. Low population density which makes it ideal. It's a staging ground for moving on the capital using the Hostomel military airfield.

KzwEuRH.png

Thanks for sharing that, I was thinking of a loss of life perspective but the strategic importance is obvious.