Oct 28, 2017
Can I ask a really embarrassing question, without anyone judging? Is there a reason that the collective we of countries are not having a stronger militaristic response back?

I assume that if we did that it's just full on world War 3?

And we are willing to let Ukraine fall to avoid that?

I know this is dumb.

We can't risk WW3 no. The best option is to try and bleed Russia out and shut it out from the rest of international community.

Some would argue we should have stationed thousands of troops in Ukraine before all this, to try and prevent a Russian attack. But that is a risky proposition, since more troops might have made Russia attack sooner and if Putin doesn't give a fuck about killing western troops as well, are we willing to escalete into full on war?

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
I legitimately don't know what to say.

I said multiple times in this thread that I did not expect it to go much further Beyond eastern Ukraine at the most extreme but I never dreamed that Belarus would join in on the madness. It's just a level of escalation that I wasn't expecting despite the obvious I guess.

I am not a very religious person but as soon as I post this I am going to take a few minutes and pray to anybody that happens to be listening for the people of Ukraine.

Just to update you:

(1) There are no Russian airborne forces at the Kyiv airport.
(2) Practically all missile attacks are concentrated east of the Dnieper.

May 26, 2018
Can someone confirm western Ukraine is being attacked too? I thought Putin was starting with the territories used in his propaganda?

SoloTerran

Jun 29, 2018
I'm flying to France in 3 days... I'm just scared and confused right now. Praying for everyone, especially the Ukrainian people.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Ukraine can't really fend off Russia for long right?
They have a substantial military force of their own that has been reinforced by members of NATO for weeks and months. So if all of that is handled intelligently and use appropriately then they can put up enough of a fight to make it hurt Russia, but realistically they cannot actually win. Especially considering that Belarus seems to be in on the attack.

Putin seems to have thrown every single solitary grain of caution to the wind and bet everything he has on the fear of the West. And most likely it's a bet that he's going to win.

Never thought I would see something like this in my adult lifetime.

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
What a fucking thing to wake up to. I feel like everything was decided ages ago regarding full-scale invasion but it's still heartbreaking to see.

There cannot be harsh enough sanctions for them now. Fucking shit. All those innocent lives lost or ruined after this, makes my blood boil.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
I'm flying to France in 3 days... I'm just scared and confused right now. Praying for everyone, especially the Ukrainian people.

You should be fine. Escalation to that level is unlikely at this current stage.

Had to block some Russians off my social media spewing nonsense about western media trying to twist a legitimate crisis in Russian culture being erased. Good grief.

Oct 25, 2017
Can I ask a really embarrassing question, without anyone judging? Is there a reason that the collective we of countries are not having a stronger militaristic response back?

I assume that if we did that it's just full on world War 3?

And we are willing to let Ukraine fall to avoid that?

I know this is dumb.

WW3/Nuclear War is basically the answer.

It could have been militarily preempted but that is
1. Too late since 2014
2. Really hard to pull off against a massive country like Russia sitting at the boarder

Nov 23, 2019
RRT4 ▶︎▶︎▶︎
Whatever sanctions the US imposes on Russia need to be imposed on Belarus as well. They are co-opting this strike
They should impose them long time ago (on Belarus), and I mean meaningful sanctions, not those half-backed measures from last year. Thing is Belarusian activists/politicians for about year were asking for it, and repeatedly saying that Lukashenko is unreliable, and warned that he's can be dangerous for stability in the region. If he got real hard sanctions in 2020, during active phase of protests, I doubt he would survived. So biggest mistake is that the west waited too long.

But, in any case, if Belarusians will start dying on the war – Lukashenko is done.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017

The treaty includes Article 4, which calls for consultation over military matters when "the territorial integrity, political independence or security of any of the parties is threatened."

Desodeset

May 31, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
Likely high number of civilian casualties as well. Putin doesn't give a fuck all about collateral damage

Russian Army reformed a lot in the last two decades and their interventions so far are demonstrating it (South Ossetia, Crimea, Syria). It's too early to talk about civilian casualties and it seems that russians are targeting entirely military targets. Let's hope that they will keep that strategy...

There are reports that russian tanks are 20km away from Kharkiv. (take it with a grain of salt. The source is pro-russian).

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
So, in very somber news, it looks like non-precision fires are being sent into urban areas....or close enough they over/under shot into an urban area. I'm actually getting the feeling that Putin does not want to use a lot of his precision munitions for whatever reason since the stockpile isn't that large compared to his other munitions (maybe still a fear of NATO?)

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017
How? How is this your understanding when Putin has said he wants ussr back, and that by taking Ukraine he is just pitting his borders closer to NATO?

Putin is not just concerned about nato on his borders, these are talking points Putin sympathizers are using to justify this shite.

Yoo. Sorry I wasn't trying to upset you or anyone else. I definitely don't sympathize with him or Russia or anything remotely like that. If anything fuck them. I'm just not fully up to speed on the whole thing. I think I saw that conclusion here:

youtu.be

What Will Actually Happen if Russia Invades Ukraine

With 100,000 troops lining the Russian border with Ukraine, the whole world is watching and waiting to see if Russia actually invades the neighboring country...

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Looks like Putin has been targeting CnC and power sites across Ukraine. Hopefully Ukr employs defense in depth, especially against Belarus in the north to avoid envelopment.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
So, in very somber news, it looks like non-precision fires are being sent into urban areas....or close enough they over/under shoot into an urban area. I'm actually getting the feeling that Putin does not want to use a lot of his precision munitions for whatever reason (maybe still a fear of NATO?)

That's definitely possible. I think precision will be used more west as to not accidentally hit neighboring countries.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
Putin all but threatened nuclear war if anyone tried to intervene. No one's risking that.

A 3rd World War would bring about mutually assured destruction and nuclear warfare.

Arguably his "Crazy dictator" speech was meant very clearly to invoke these fears, but the whole point of mutually assured destruction is that its mutual. Not the madman he wants to be seen as?

Big gamble, but it's right of Zelensky to accuse us of allowing Ukraine to be their buffer between fascism and Europe, and to stand by now and let their blood be spilled because Putin said scary things and then took what he wanted.

Familiar. From history. It never ends there.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
And on the note of precision fires, here is a scary ass encounter:

And I have to say, for how many times this cruise missile has already been caught on video, it is seemingly damn slow relative to how fast it has been advertised by the Russians.

Last edited:

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
This is horrifying. Does anyone know if that FF14 streamer got out of Ukraine? She was talking about it a few weeks ago.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I really hope Zepla makes it safely to Poland. I really, really do.

Frozen_Thorn

Banned
Jul 8, 2021
As another poster said, Western Europe should be perfectly safe from this conflict. At that level of escalation it wouldn't really matter where you are, we would all be fucked. With that said I hope everything goes well with your travels.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I really hope Zepla makes it safely to Poland. I really, really do.
I know it's really obscenely and embarrassingly selfish of me to do the same in the face of all of this, but I am doing it. I can't help it. Been watching her for nearly a year. It's hard not to wish someone specific the best in that kind of situation.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Any word of the fighting at the Belarussian border? Last update was that Ukrainian soldiers engaged Russian and Belarussian forces, but nothing about whether they were able to repel the enemy..