• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Do we have any new information on what's going on inside Russia during the last few weeks?

Moscow feels normal enough despite a few "Z"s around the place. Some big brand stores closed , regular supermarkets still fully stocked and only minor if any price increases. McDonald's still available. Police visibility has gone down again a bit from a peak a fee weeks ago though still much higher than prewar.

I don't know the city that well and I don't really know any locals so my view point is very superficial.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
That's amazing, thank you for doing that. Can you offer some more details, what country are you in? I know UK is doing a scheme where you can have Ukrainians stay with you.
Switzerland. I first applied to a NGO, but she came directly to me because a friend of mine has contacts with some Ukrainian people.
The government is very supportive (for now), but it's still kind of a mess with application for financial support and such.

Oct 27, 2017

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
Discuss? Then we need to have committees and votes and maybe the 9th round of sanctions.

Get it the fuck together. Stop fucking around.
You're going to have to reconcile yourself with the fact that it's not in Ukraine's best interest that the exact nature and progress of heavy/advanced weapons delivery be publicly known. We know they're coming. Decisions have been made, Ukrainians are being trained. Beyond that we really shouldn't know much about them until they're active in the field, blowing up in Russians' faces.

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017
Video in the original source (and some of the below quote) is most likely NSFL, haven't seen the video myself.

NYT: Ukrainian military appears to kill Russians caught in video

In a video that appeared online Monday, Ukrainian soldiers appear to kill captured Russian soldiers, reports The New York Times, which has verified the footage. According to the newspaper, the incident took place along the road in a village west of Kiev, not far from Boetsha where Ukraine says at least 300 civilians were killed by the Russians.

"He is still alive. Film these looters. Look, he's alive. He's gasping for breath," says a man next to a Russian soldier, who has pulled a coat over his head and is apparently wounded. Then a Ukrainian soldier fires twice at the Russian. When he continues to move, the soldier shoots again, after which the Russian stops moving.

At least three other, presumably, Russian soldiers can be seen in the video, the newspaper writes. One of them has an obvious head wound and his hands are tied behind his back. All three are wearing camouflage colors and have a white band around their arm, which Russian soldiers wear. Two Russian lieutenants were reportedly captured.

It is believed that the Russians were ambushed around March 30 while retreating from villages around Kiev. The Ukrainians can be identified by their blue armbands. A Ukrainian news channel earlier posted a video about the aftermath of the March 30 ambush. In it, it speaks of the "Georgian Legion," referring to a paramilitary unit of Georgian volunteers.

Translated from: https://nos.nl/liveblog/2424181-she...-noodopvang-utrecht#UPDATE-container-60609562
Original source: https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/04/06/world/ukraine-russia-war-news#russia-pows-ukraine-executed

Their speculation mentions these could be part of the 'Georgian Legion, a paramilitary unit of Georgian volunteers.

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
Video in the original source (and some of the below quote) is most likely NSFL, haven't seen the video myself.

Translated from: https://nos.nl/liveblog/2424181-she...-noodopvang-utrecht#UPDATE-container-60609562
Original source: https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/04/06/world/ukraine-russia-war-news#russia-pows-ukraine-executed

Their speculation mentions these could be part of the 'Georgian Legion, a paramilitary unit of Georgian volunteers.

I assume from the description this is the video from a few days ago, already covered.

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017

We, @Europarl_EN , have just adopted by large majority the resolution on an immediate embargo on Russian oil, gas, nuclear fuel & coal, with 513 in favour, 19 abstentions and 22 against. 1/2
I am proud that this resolution, which I co-signed, was adopted with such a result. This embargo is absolutely necessary to stop financing the war in #Ukraine. 2/2

jackie daytona

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 15, 2022

We, @Europarl_EN , have just adopted by large majority the resolution on an immediate embargo on Russian oil, gas, nuclear fuel & coal, with 513 in favour, 19 abstentions and 22 against. 1/2
I am proud that this resolution, which I co-signed, was adopted with such a result. This embargo is absolutely necessary to stop financing the war in #Ukraine. 2/2

Is this as significant as it seems on first glance?

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands

Amazing. But just wondering. Does the EP actually have a say in this?

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017

While this is just symbolic, it's also a very strong message looking at the votes.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Sorry, EU parliament is entirely foreign to me. In what way is it symbolic? As in they have no way to enforce it? Or it really was just a "put your bullshit on record" kind of vote?

It was a real vote, but maybe they knew it was "just symbolic".

EU has a 2 chamber system, both have to adopt it.
Parliament
Council
also there is the commission, which could be seen as the "government".

The council are the state heads of the european union, and every state head has a veto right.
The commision is "employed" by the council.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I mean, I'm driving and can't read it in depth, but that doesn't really explain my question. It just says EP is responsible for drafting laws and shit

Well it's pretty complex and incredibly dull! Honestly i don't rember even half of it from university, since it's been a few years ago now so maybe this video helps explain it better then i could.

jackie daytona

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 15, 2022
The latter, mainly. I would compare the European Parliament to the UK's House of Lords.

It was a real vote, but maybe they knew it was "just symbolic".

EU has a 2 chamber system, both have to adopt it.
Parliament
Council
also there is the commission, which could be seen as the "government".

The council are the state heads of the european union, and every state head has a veto right.
The commision is "employed" by the council.

Thanks. So my understanding is this was a real vote that will almost certainly be vetoed?

Ridcully

Dec 25, 2020
The Switchblade story is kinda getting embarrasing. It's been what, almost 20 days since the announcement with speculations of up to 1k drones being shipped. And now we learn it's only 100 300s that are still waiting for the delivery😟

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
The Switchblade story is kinda getting embarrasing. It's been what, almost 20 days since the announcement with speculations of up to 1k drones being shipped. And now we learn it's only 100 300s that are still waiting for the delivery😟

I would take any reports on equipment shipments with a grain of salt. Since at least several weeks they are not really reported in real time and for good reason, as to not have the Russian trying to mess with the transports.

Culex

Oct 29, 2017
Every day we read Mariupol is falling in two days. Been this way for 4 weeks.

Judging from the pictures I've seen of the hellscape that use to be the city, why is Russia even bothering at this point?

There is nothing left to take over.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Honestly, Putins economic advisers have been the only somewhat competent people in this entire thing on Russia's side - they got the Rouble to sort of bounce back a bit and the impact of the sanctions wasn't catastrophically brutal on the citizens.

A lot of their solutions amount to putting a bandaid on a festering wound but it could've been much worse for them.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
This is what a long war (which is the very likely outcome of the new focus on East Ukraine) will accelerate/make it worse. A lot of Russia's countermeasures vs. the sanctions are betting on having to deal with most of the sanctions only for a couple of months or just a bit more.
That's the other insane thing about this war. Either Putin thinks the sanctions won't hurt his country to the point that it would threaten its economic stability (ie.he's literally deluded and mad) or he understands the sanctions are a huge risk if they continue long term, but he believes the West will just accept that Russia gets to take over Ukraine or parts of it ( i.e. he's deluded and mad).
There's no way out of this where Russia get to keep Ukraine or bits of it, continues to enact war crimes and also has a functioning economy (without basically becoming a vassal state for China).

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, Putins economic advisers have been the only somewhat competent people in this entire thing on Russia's side - they got the Rouble to sort of bounce back a bit and the impact of the sanctions wasn't catastrophically brutal on the citizens.

A lot of their solutions amount to putting a bandaid on a festering wound but it could've been much worse for them.
At some point though the box of band aids will be empty. They are burning their available reserves very quickly.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

At some point though the box of band aids will be empty. They are burning their available reserves very quickly.
On top of that, some of these solutions will eventually burst and cause bigger issues then if no band aide had been applied at all. Russia can only stall for so long.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
Are they really though? (not doubting you, this is a serious question)
It got quiet on that front, since they sold a lot of their gold a couple weeks ago, I haven't read anything about them burning their reserves again?
I thought that was why it was so important to stop buying their gas, as that represented a significant enough cash infusion in the economy to make it work with the bandaids.

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017

Judging from the pictures I've seen of the hellscape that use to be the city, why is Russia even bothering at this point?

There have been reports that up until recently Ukraine has been resupplying Mariupol defenders by copters. However, at least one of those has apparently been shot down last week so the Russians have probably closed that path down by now.

Nov 23, 2019
RRT4 ▶︎▶︎▶︎
What kind of consequences could this have for the russian soldiers that lived in those trenches for the month or so they were there, or the soldiers moving through that area?
There's article about that (it's in Russian only)
steanlab.medium.com

Лучший сувенир из “отпуска” в южных районах Беларуси (устар. Белоруссии)

Как мы все сегодня наблюдаем первый мире случай испытания “америциевой” грязной бомбы

Closest analogy will be "Radium Girls"

Only this time it's not Radium, but Americium
www.epa.gov

Radionuclide Basics: Americium-241 | US EPA

Americium (chemical symbol Am) is a man-made radioactive metal that is solid under normal conditions. Exposure to a significant amount of Am-241 is generally unlikely. Small amounts are found in the soil, plants and water from nuclear weapons testing.
Am-241 is primarily an alpha emitter, but also emits some gamma rays. It poses a more significant risk if ingested (swallowed) or inhaled. Once in the body, it tends to concentrate in the bone, liver, and muscle. Americium can stay in the body for decades and continue to expose the surrounding tissues to radiation, increasing the risk of developing cancer.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Are they really though? (not doubting you, this is a serious question)
It got quiet on that front, since they sold a lot of their gold a couple weeks ago, I haven't read anything about them burning their reserves again?
I thought that was why it was so important to stop buying their gas, as that represented a significant enough cash infusion in the economy to make it work with the bandaids.
Yes. Really. You think things are magically ok after being cut off from the vast majority of supply chains?

It's much like how the pandemic wasn't that bad at first and now we're seeing inflation. Multiply that times 100.

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017

As long as there are Ukrainian soldiers there, those forces will present a threat to their flanks and rear if they would leave them be.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. So my understanding is this was a real vote that will almost certainly be vetoed?
It's a symbolic vote with no power to do anything. It's purpose is to put pressure on the EU Council (who propose policies) and EU Commission (who write the bills to enact the council's policies) to do something.
Parliament only approves, rejects or amends bills (once approved they become law), it can't actually write new bills or laws.
This vote basically says, "Just FYI guys, if we are asked to approve a law banning Russian energy, you can see that we would approve it, so don't even think about blaming us for any procedural delays".

In UK terms, the EU works backwards compared to our government. EU parliament is directly elected like or commons, but has powers similar to the house of lords.

It's more complicated than this, and there are ways for parliament to force the commission's hand, but they are not doing it with this simple resolution.