Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I think it's pretty overdue to be honest. I guess the special Tennant episodes are the last hurrah of that generation.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
When do you think they should have restarted the count??

13 with Jodie Whittaker didn't have many links back to the older seasons (with an exception of a Harkness cameo I think).
I didn't watch all of 13's run but I watched a few episodes and didn't recognize anyone. Felt it would have been a fresh break.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it matters, not a lot of people think of the season by numbers anyway. I see way more people talk about Capaldi's final season or Whittaker's second than season 10 or 12 for example.

GifGafJef

Dec 19, 2022
13 with Jodie Whittaker didn't have many links back to the older seasons (with an exception of a Harkness cameo I think).
I didn't watch all of 13's run but I watched a few episodes and didn't recognize anyone. Felt it would have been a fresh break.
considering how badly it was received by the end probably a good thing. Hopefully RTD can do it again reviving the show for another new modern era.

OP
OP
red mage

red mage

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 17, 2023
I don't think it matters, not a lot of people think of the season by numbers anyway. I see way more people talk about Capaldi's final season or Whittaker's second than season 10 or 12 for example.

Mmh, idk, I say things like "series 6" instead of "Smith's second season" 🤔

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Should have done this with every Doctor

9th Doctor - Season 1
10th Doctor - Season 1
10th Doctor - Season 2
10th Doctor - Season 3
11th Doctor - Season 1

Etc

Sep 5, 2021
For me the official numbers are not very important, but in my opinion they should separate the Doctor Who New Series into even more categories in the Streaming services.

Yesterday RTD announced that they are separating the New Who into two categories on Streaming services: "2005-2022" and "2023-...". Various people had different reactions to this, some people disagreed and others agreed. Here is my opinion on this:

One reason for this is that they want to attract a new audience and having a high number of Series (Seasons) will scare people away from clicking on it.

But this is not the only reason, think about it, if they had continued with the old numbering, the vast majority of people when clicking on the program would start with "Rose", as the streaming programs always start from the first episode! We know that Doctor Who has several entry points for the public to get started, as new posts always appear here from someone asking which episode to start the series with, but this doesn't work on a streaming service.

In fact, I think they should separate the new series into even more categories in Streaming to help the public know what the entry points are. Here my idea:

Doctor Who (2005-2009)
Doctor Who (2010-2017)
Doctor Who (2018-2022)

In other words, separate the serie into the different Eras: RTD, Moffat and Chibnall.

In addition, the Classic Who would be a little more difficult to separate into different categories, since the end of one regeneration and the beginning of the next usually have the same companions and people responsible, perhaps they could separate them by decades? In other words: the 60s (1st and 2nd Doctor), 70s (3rd and 4th Doctor) and 80s (5th, 6th and 7th Doctor)?

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
As long as they don't call the new phase the "Whoniverse" I'm actually really cool with it. The original series was formed around daily soap like programming for kids then morphed over the years into a Bond-like, more sci-fi, and then the 1980s. New Who rebooted the series into a world of HBO and prestige drama which then morphed into higher concept prestige TV. This new phase seems to reboot it again into a more interconnected universe with a new focus on streaming, licensing, and forward looking investment that we haven't seen in a long time.

Aug 7, 2019
Never seen Classic Who, and debating if I really want to commit to the franchise again for another 20 years....

nuWho is a neat little package if I stop here

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
Anybody remotely interested in Who won't be confused at all. Plus it's great to attract new viewers.

It sounds like they're putting the New Who universe permanently to bed with the Tennant specials.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
That doesn't even make sense

I'm not being entirely serious.

However the reboot is absolutely loaded with pop culture references that aren't very relevant now. OG Who didn't do as much of that.

I wonder if New New Who will do the same. It's Davies again, and he has to win people back again. But this time he has nothing to prove. He's a safe pair of hands for the show.

OP
OP
red mage

red mage

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 17, 2023
Because it adds unnecessary confusion. People will inevitably confuse the two systems. Also now if I want to get someone into the show I now have to hand out an explanation as to why they want SERIES 1 to start with. Not SEASON 1.

It's just unnecessary. Series 15 would have been fine.

The old shows are now officially listed as "Doctor Who (1963-1996)" and "Doctor Who (2005-2022)" though. The new show will presumably be listed as "Doctor Who (2023-)" or some variation. So I don't think people will start with the wrong show.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Probably a sensible move from a marketing perspective. Won't have much impact on existing viewers though, I suspect they'll all just call it Season 14 anyway.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I'm okay with this. Tbh I lost track of what season we were one halfway into Capaldi. If you asked me which was Season 9 and which was Season 10, I'd have no idea. Is Season 11 still Capaldi or is that Whitaker? I just kept track via doctor. "Capaldi 2, Capaldi 3, etc."

And yes, I always called them seasons and not series, because I'm American. Though weren't the classic ones called Seasons?

Anyway, I think referring to this as the third iteration of the show makes sense. It certainly feels like it and there's a huge push to bring in new audiences with the Disney+ stuff.

All Hail the Death of "New Who" as a name, it was silly calling a 2005 show that lol

OP
OP
red mage

red mage

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 17, 2023
The problem with counting them by Doctors is that this only works if you're a hardcore fan that knows the order of all the Doctors. New viewers aren't going to immediately know if so and so is after or before such and such. Especially with things like Tennant's return.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense given how they'll be listed on Disney+. It's way easier to go "start at the first episode of the new series" than "start partway through the 2003 series if you want to get modern-looking HD episodes" and such too.

Oct 25, 2017
This will be great for new viewers as the show enters a new and different era. There's clearly been big shifts in both production and direction and so labeling this as a new era does seem legitimately more than just marketing. It also simplifies how the show will be listed on disney plus. I welcome this decision. RTD is really going for it with this, I imagine it will recapture a lot of lapsed fans and find some new ones.

Can nerds start calling the eras of Doctor who Showa (Classic), Heisei (Wilderness), Millenium (Revival) and Reiwa (RTD2) now? Is that allowed? Is the fourteenth doctor the Shin Doctor? Let me have this okay
JOv7e5o.gif

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Can nerds start calling the eras of Doctor who Showa (Classic), Heisei (Wilderness), Millenium (Revival) and Reiwa (RTD2) now? Is that allowed? Is the fourteenth doctor the Shin Doctor? Let me have this okay
JOv7e5o.gif

I'm with you!

Also

godzilla.fandom.com

Dr. Who

Dr. Who (ドクター・フー, Dokutā Fū?) is a recurring villain in The King Kong Show, as well as the human antagonist in the 1967 Toho and Rankin/Bass film, King Kong Escapes. To be added. Dr. Who ran a nondescript, presumably criminal, enterprise in the North Pole. After being approached by the...

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Because it adds unnecessary confusion. People will inevitably confuse the two systems. Also now if I want to get someone into the show I now have to hand out an explanation as to why they want SERIES 1 to start with. Not SEASON 1.
That confusion already existed. New Who started with Series 1 and Old Who started with Season 1. But yeah this will make it worse.

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What I Like:
-Dropping "series" for "season".

What I Don't Like:
-Starting over at 1. This should be season 14.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Showa Doctor Who Series (1st to 8th)
Heisei Doctor Who Series (9th to 14th)
Reiwa Doctor Who Series (15th ~)

You might even divide Heisei Doctor Who in 2 phases, but 3 phases (one for each showrunner) works best