• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
Also want to add if you have never seen this movie make sure you watch it with a good audio setup, it'll blow you away. We need a 4K release with Dolby Atmos ASAP.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I've never seen it. Seeing that it's on Prime I'm going to remedy that.

Is this the movie with Crowe looking longingly on a ship or something or is that Les Mis?
He definitely caresses the ship. I don't remember him looking at it lovingly.

Its a fantastic movie. Everyone is totally committed to their parts.

Oct 27, 2017
Master and Commander is a great film.

And its an even better test for any kind of home theater/ surround sound setup. That first scene with the cannonballs blowing through the ship with a nice surround sound system is fantastic.

Contramann

Oct 27, 2017
I was literally watching this a few days ago. Wonderful film. I enjoy Naval/High Sea Stories so maybe I was just pre-disposed but I sincerely enjoy the film.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I've never seen it. Seeing that it's on Prime I'm going to remedy that.

Is this the movie with Crowe looking longingly on a ship or something or is that Les Mis?
UiXAker.gif

OP
OP
Senator Toadstool

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

And its an even better test for any kind of home theater/ surround sound setup. That first scene with the cannonballs blowing through the ship with a nice surround sound system is fantastic.
sound design is one of the most underrated aspects of moviemaking. really elevates a film

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
I love Master & Commander. Brilliant naval battles. Reminds me of some paintings by grand-father had in his living room.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017

i read the blu-ray review many years ago gushing over this, and yet i never got around to watching it

hopefully soon

OP
OP
Senator Toadstool

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
serious question. are their female or non-binary members of reset who like this movie or who praise it in the same way as guys?it's always felt like a bro movie especially since there's like no female characters.

I don't mean offend but literally everybody who i've heard praise this movie is a guy. would be down to hear a feminist take on the movie! would really be interesting

mrchad

Oct 27, 2017
I need to rewatch this. I couldn't get through the book, but I saw the film in theaters and I remember enjoying it.

ReggieBC

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw it back in the day and enjoyed it. Is there a proper 4k release out there?

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a brilliantly made movie but I didn't love it honestly. It's certainly not boring or bad though.
The real Crowe movie that needs a sequel is The Nice Guys.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Yep.

"Thrilling bike ride though. 10 out of 10. Would watch again."

"Incredible camera work, but I will say that it was hard to feel empathy for someone without his backstory."

Yeah the fact that society loved gladiator and shunned master and commander is a stunning indictment on us as a species.

Master and Commander is a more entertaining film. And strangely moving. You would think a movie about a man who's family was murdered and his attempts to find his humanity again through revenge would be more emotional than iguanas and violins, but there it is.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I have seen bits and pieces of it and I found his death fairly moving, but I was more moved by the death of the poor ship boy.

I should also point out I'm a very emotional person who cries watching videos of dogs with only two or three legs, so I'm not a robot.

So you were not entertained?

22cd3ed80b1344fd996e1cd74bc1310d.jpg

I thought I was the only one anesthetized by Gladiator. I feel validated.

To this day I always forget that the dog wasn't named "Hell". When he said "on my word, unleash Hell" they literally unleash the dogs a few seconds later.

It wasn't until the memes got overwhelming that I realized he was talking about warfare and not the dogs.

kilner

Oct 28, 2017
I'd love to see Peter Weir do another film. He was on a film podcast in 2019 saying (in the last few minutes) he gets offered mostly TV projects but he'd prefer to do films.

As for Master and Commander, the film is brilliant, but the novels are even better. If the universe is taking requests: give me a HBO/Netflix series ASAP.

Last edited:

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
How the hell does anybody give up on a movie only 10 minutes in? That just comes off lazy. Not to mention, M&C is a masterpiece.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
People directly tagging actors and artists to say they hate their work will never not be really weird to me.

OP
OP
Senator Toadstool

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so the guy who posted the original tweet just posted an unironic tribute to noted murderer phil spector

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Guys, if I want to watch this what is the best option? Blueray release, Amazon Prime, some other streaming service? DVD?
Is there a directors cut? Extended edition?
Please help, im interested.

OP
OP
Senator Toadstool

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, if I want to watch this what is the best option? Blueray release, Amazon Prime, some other streaming service? DVD?
Is there a directors cut? Extended edition?
Please help, im interested.
blu ray will have the best sound which this film relies a lot on and my preferred method. amazon is the easiest to get tho

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's really nice to see so many fans of M&C these days. Feels like its reputation just keeps on growing through the years.

This thread made me rewatch the movie, because of course! Magnificent from top to bottom as usual. There's such an understated beauty to its cinematography.

5nes5fX.png

8tfAGrm.png

GfcMGdA.png

jSAWmuu.png

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I've never seen it, but I do remember the giant 9 foot tall and who knows how long giant cardboard ship at the movie theater

OP
OP
Senator Toadstool

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's really nice to see so many fans of M&C these days. Feels like its reputation just keeps on growing through the years.

This thread made me rewatch the movie, because of course! Magnificent from top to bottom as usual. There's such an understated beauty to its cinematography.

5nes5fX.png

8tfAGrm.png

GfcMGdA.png

jSAWmuu.png
fuck, there's two things i want to learn how to do before i die.

sail and fly a plane

Deleted member 15311

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brilliant movie, love everything about it. I worked on a DVD store, where we use to put some movies on as background, i saw this one so many times ahah.