• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Seems hard to imagine rumored specs getting in an affordable box. Wouldn't 16GB of ram and a 1TB SSD be $200-250+ by itself?

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
The cheaper one not having a disc drive makes zero sense to me. I bet that ends up not being true.
That actually makes the most sense of anything in the entire rumor.

They're not doing an 'S' version of the console..it's gonna be a cheap streaming box. The Anaconda is the traditional console.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Two models at launch for any game system just seems like a horrible idea. Look at th shit performance of some games on Xbox or PS4 base. They're an afterthought. Now sell somebody a new system and immediately make them a second class customer to every Dev?

The last thing we really want is further diversion of already stretched resources in Dev studios.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
That actually makes the most sense of anything in the entire rumor.

They're not doing an 'S' version of the console..it's gonna be a cheap streaming box. The Anaconda is the traditional console.
I would think the average consumer still buys discs over digital at this point. If it's all about considering the broadest base, you don't kneecap people stuck in places with sub par internet (that's a fuckload of would-be customers) by limiting their buying options. It doesn't make sense.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
Really hope Halo Infinite is brought out on X1 too - would be gutted if the only Halo game that's came out in this generation was so bad.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I expected leaks and rumors to abound around GDC but man this is early.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
Well the X isnt going anywhere soon. So i see them making the X the new S in the coming years.

The problem is the cpu, if you try and make games for a potentially significantly weaker cpu you then end up sacrificing performance on the better machines. Scaling gpu isn't a problem, scaling cpu is much more of an issue.

I can see them coming out with two machines, and then supporting streaming (obviously) on the weaker hardware. I have a x and love it to bits, but don't want future games to be compromised.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think Sony was never going to announce a 2020 console in 2019 anyway, because they want to protect high PS4 sales for as long as possible. Xbox has less to lose sales-wise and more to gain PR-wise with an early announcement at E3. It's just a situation where each side's optimal strategy lining up with the other's.

Xbox announcing this year sounds like something that would kill current Xbox sales. Like why would you buy an Xbox one X now if you know something way better is coming next year?. ...But then maybe they don't feel the next couple years of the Xbox one family is going to shift many consoles anyway.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Two models at launch for any game system just seems like a horrible idea. Look at th shit performance of some games on Xbox or PS4 base. They're an afterthought. Now sell somebody a new system and immediately make them a second class customer to every Dev?

The last thing we really want is further diversion of already stretched resources in Dev studios.
That's how I feel about it as well.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I would think the average consumer still buys discs over digital at this point. If it's all about considering the broadest base, you don't kneecap people stuck in places with sub par internet (that's a fuckload of would-be customers) by limiting their buying options. It doesn't make sense.
What doesn't make sense is simultaneously launching two versions of a brand new system whose only conceptual difference is Teraflops. That's a mid- gen solution not a launch strategy to confuse consumers and handicap the more powerful systems potential.

MS strategy is a cheap streaming box (in which a disc drive is a total waste of bottom line cost cause it is NOT designed to run games natively) and the traditional powerful console. Two totally different systems that target totally different consumers.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
Announced 18 months before launch?

Seems odd.

Nah, showing off the X with its 6TF was brilliant on Microsoft's part and the console has done well (even though they came out with the specs to counter the pro's x2 difference over the ps4) . I can see them doing them same, times have changed and people are more savvy regarding the understanding of hardware power especially with metrics that are based on similar hardware architectures.

If both manufacturers are going to drop hardware in 2020, 2019 should mean a near hardware lock on the cpu and gpu so why not talk about it.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Two tier launch isn't a bad idea as long as the CPU upgrade is in both. Scaling GPU is fine. The most powerful console won't be held back as long as the CPU is similar. You get a cheaper entry to next gen and a more expensive entry to next gen. That's not confusing just like Pro and X aren't confusing. The tough message is Xbox One disc less and X Cloud streaming, there is a lot to juggle.

Oct 26, 2017
I really hope both versions have a blurray/dvd drive. I love putting my old 360 games in and it downloads the BC version.

and teh "two X^2" is def going to arrive 6 months to 1 year after the ps5 i think. THen the PS5 pro will come out 6 months to 1 year after the X^2

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Hope that PS5 will also have at least 12TF. 10TF is still respectable but 4K need a lot of juice for the next 7 years

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
Crucial P1 1TB is $150 in retail today [it can achieve up to 2TB/s sequential read].

If MS or Sony want to buy tens of million of those QLC chips, they would today get the deal for <$100.

Plus industry is expecting up to 25% pricedrop on all SSDs until end of 2019, and 8 bits per cell SSD tech is also coming.
That's a good point, we don't want a Core Xbox 360 situation again.

Yeah, it would be devastating to this whole console cycle, imo

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
NVMe in a console, at 1 GBps? That would be something. A good design choice if the they intend to aim for 4K across the board.

1 GBps storage controller in a console? So it would be duplex.
SSDs have dropped in price so affordable now so could see them being used in the more powerful console.

Yea, my 1TB Samsung EVO was like $140 on sale last year. Two years ago a SSD that size was running around twice the price.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4072

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well the X isnt going anywhere soon. So i see them making the X the new S in the coming years.
The X would be so lagging behind though if they made it base. Like half the GPU power and more than half the CPU power. If Anaconda is true it is way, way more powerful than X. Would be a bigger gap than S -> X

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
What doesn't make sense is simultaneously launching two versions of a brand new system whose only conceptual difference is Teraflops. That's a mid- gen solution not a launch strategy to confuse consumers and handicap the more powerful systems potential.

MS strategy is a cheap streaming box (in which a disc drive is a total waste of bottom line cost cause it is NOT designed to run games natively) and the traditional powerful console. Two totally different systems that target totally different consumers.
Maybe you're right. Time will tell.

Oct 27, 2017
I must be missing something because it says 4TFs for Lockhart. It has to be at least 6TF right? I had hoped closer to 8TF

I feel like a $500 console and a $100-$200 streaming only console are much better choices

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
More powerful is the same launch price as the Xbox One? Not that expensive for me then.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

Nah. It's very, very smart. One is disc less and a streaming / Digital entry machine and the other is your power house. Love the choices.

Oct 27, 2017
I just want to see the fruits of the studio acquisitions but I know that is years off. Having the tiered console release makes sense to me even when I know I will only get the top tier box.

Deleted member 4072

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A 12TF Zen combo for 500 wouldn't be bad at all. I don't really have the money for a full PC upgrade or the space atm so a 900 euro combo for awesome first parties and hopefully 4k/60 multiplats would be nice.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
Lockheart looks like a massive boat anchor on the whole industry till 2027. If true, it will wreck the generation.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I must be missing something because it says 4TFs for Lockhart. It has to be at least 6TF right? I had hoped closer to 8TF

I feel like a $500 console and a $100-$200 streaming only console are much better choices

It is roughly the difference between a One S and One X, so a 4k console and a non 4k console run I games with similar performance. Going to 6 or 8 just increases price for no point if the goal is targeting different resolutions.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
A $1-200 console is going to serverely limit devs until 2027. This is bad news.

It seems pretty clear that MS is targeting anaconda for native 4k. If that is the case, the Lockhart can handle the same games at 1080p.

If games don't target native 4k then we might have an issue.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Jeuxvideo? Wow, there's a name I've not heard in a long time. I used to go there a decade ago because they'd publish scans of Famitsu.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
if it really boils down to a weak digital only (doa) sku and an overpriced (doa) xbx style sku, well, good luck microsoft, you'll need it.
It's current/previous gen all over again, sony will come and just pop out a console and say ours is normal, and here we go.
A bold strategy.