• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
4tf seems too low but if MS aims for 1080p with lockhart, 4tf can do better visual fidelity in 1080p than 12tf in 4K.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Not all of those specs are accurate.
Hmmm :D
While that's true, Xbox really needs to do something in Europe. They're becoming less and less relevant there by the minute.
It's not one or the other, they need to do both. But they absolutely need Halo Infinite as a launch title to get the console blasting out the gates in US/UK. The franchise isn't exactly completely irrelevant elsewhere either.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Indeed, so obviously whilst the GPU is less powerful than the X, it's only having to drive 1080p so it's still going to have a crazy amount more horsepower to play with. The CPU would be the same as Anaconda, so only the resolution needs to be scaled down and no compromises have to be made on the game or graphics when designing for Anaconda.

It does tie down Anaconda.

I'd prefer one higher end box where devs can decide what tradeoff of resolution vs per-pixel techniques they want to make use of.

This setup, with a 4TB base model targetting 1080p, and a '4K' Anaconda model, forces the tradeoff for them. A dev can't decide to hone in on a lower base res using the full power of the higher end model, for fear of how it would(n't) scale down to Lockhart. The decision is made for them.

For a six year cycle I'd much prefer one higher end entry point at a decent price where devs can decide how to spend that higher level of power as the gen wears on.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
4TF seems low for the base unit - even for 1080p if the higher end is pushing 12TF.
16GB seems low on the top end machine if the lower spec has 12GB and only needing 1080p textures/assets etc.
1TB/SSD is overkill for both machines - but especially for the cost of the lower spec. Smaller SSD for cache (128GB ish) and the rest mechanical storage would be a good option I think

Remember those specs can change. Sony double the amount of rams in the PS4 only in the end of the specs process.

I won't be surprised we get 32gig of RAM on Anaconda. Or maybe they'll keep that for the Anaconda X.

Deleted member 49132

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
16GB of ram is gonna be so disappointing for a 2019-2027 console

This gonna be a PS3 situation all over if they stick with that (in terms of how ambitious games are and their performance later in the generation)

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
If Scarlett is announced this Summer then I suspect it's coming Q1 2020. Otherwise, like you, it feels like a way too long time between reveal and launch.

Exactly, because then they also get a head start like with the 360, which I think helped them out a lot. Otherwise such an early announcement does not make much sense to me. You undercut your current business.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
What about the E3 2019 bit!? lol

e3 plans wont leak until closer to e3. that's how you know this article is shaky.
personally im most certain they wont show anything next gen. they might mention it, and likely claim it will be the most powerful system like they did with scorpio but that's about it. they wont want to compete for attention at a trade show. they'll do their own show in the spring.

Butterworth

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Problem is, Halo is a really US+UK franchise and it won't help them increasing their appeal to other countries.
Yeah, but they need a strong start in their strongest markets. Xbox will never be strong worldwide. They need to start challenging in the markets they can, potentially, challenge in. They are losing in their home territory, they need to try and sort that out first.

As far as Halo goes, i agree. It isn't what it used to be. But it's a headline franchise for them.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Those specs are very unrealistic in many respects. There is no way they can have 8 Ryzen cores in a console SoC, and there is no way they are going to put a high end SSD with 1TB capacity.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
True but im assuming with the integrative nature of the system both will be using the same RAM resource. Guess we will find out.
RAM is still super expensive so I would not expect more than 16 GB. Only SSD prices have been dropping, fast performance RAM prices dropped slightly compared to exorbitant prices mid 2018, but DDR4 that I bought ~1.5 years ago is the same exact price today...

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
There is a clear table inside the article that you can understand even if you don't know french :)

But this: Disque dur SSD 1To NVMe 1+GB/s
Is not happening on a streaming device.
I don't think you will have a 1 TB NVMe drive in the more expensive one either. I have one of those in my work thinkpad and it increased the price by like $500.

it could happen if the streaming device is indeed 299 as rumoured, and has basically a cheap fill in phone chipset or the like. in that case they'd have money to play with. it might be something they decided they need for fast streaming and fast everything across all their next gen xbox devices. or it could be not true, lol.

also, the prices pc vendors charge for storage upgrades has nothing to do with reality lol. you pay a gigantic markup for more ssd and ram vs what you can pay on the upgrade market in the real world. the same way apple will charge you a couple hundred for 64gb more storage on a phone that in the real world cost them $5. it's a market segmentation technique.

1TB nvme isn't cheap but closer to $100 is far more realistic.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It does tie down Anaconda.

I'd prefer one higher end box where devs can decide what tradeoff of resolution vs per-pixel techniques they want to make use of.

This setup, with a 4TB base model targetting 1080p, and a '4K' Anaconda model, forces the tradeoff for them. A dev can't decide to hone in on a lower base res using the full power of the higher end model, for fear of how it would(n't) scale down to Lockhart. The decision is made for them.

For a six year cycle I'd much prefer one higher end entry point at a decent price where devs can decide how to spend that higher level of power as the gen wears on.

If PS5 is weaker than Anaconda that'd hold back the development baseline anyway. I don't think the lower end MS console would budge that line too much more - I assume MS would scale it in such a way as the GPU is tuned for 1080p output (so lower bandwidth, ROPs etc) but otherwise capable of running the same engine performance as Anaconda (or as near as makes no difference)

I would be worried about the lower end getting left behind after a few years (look at the 1S) but then I wouldn't be buying that one anyway :P

ChewbieFR

Nov 3, 2018
Freelance writer for Jeuxvideo.com here. As on the news side we often talk about credible rumors that circulate around the web, I can assure you this website's own affirmations are very, very rare and well thought. Maybe two, three times a year? I didn't talk to Epyon about this but I'm sure he published this because he's certain his sources are reliable, and the editor in chief also thinks so. They probably talked about it for days ^^ Also Epyon reported that NieR Automata Xbox version that was true

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
I think MS will make a streaming only device, but it won't need a relatively powerful GPU or CPU, and certainly won't need much ram or a hard drive. A streaming only device would be something smaller and cheaper. Maybe the rumours of a budget disc driveless One S would be the device for streaming next gen games.

Yeah, this makes a lot of sense, and it can be a very smart movement.

Release a box that can stream next gen Xbox games, but that can also natively play Xbox One games plus legacy titles of 360 and OG Xbox.

In this way, they can sell services like Gamepass to users without the bandwidth for streaming.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Those specs are very unrealistic in many respects. There is no way they can have 8 Ryzen cores in a console SoC, and there is no way they are going to put a high end SSD with 1TB capacity.
the part about a ryzen 8 core is the most believable part in here to be honest. it allows for much easier backwards compatibility with a big performance increase and the price difference should not be that big.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Same speed SSDs across all SKUs is great news. It means devs can actually rely on the speed being there instead of having to still make sure games run on a HDD. This will allow for some radically different game design.

This is true - SSD speed is a great baseline to have

doesnt that mean that external hard drive would require SSD's though? i can see that annoying consumers who purchase an external HDD only to find out it wont work.

This is also a possible issue - supporting external drives but only SSD speed would be tricky to message for consumers (and bloody expensive). Thats why I think a possibly better option is to have some SSD/NAND for speeding up the currently running game, but keep HDD for game installs/storage - that also allows you as a user to connect a regular high capacity HDD for games without slowing things down

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
SSD's for storage? Incredibly out of everything I find that the hardest bit to believe.

Especially the 1TB kind.

not sure where you've been but it's almost certainly coming. 120gb ssd's can now be had by the consumer for $20, like a memory card price. So at the very absolute least it might make sense to do a SSD cache/mechanical HDD storage setup next gen.

then have you seen anthem? constant loading. something needs to be done on the loading speed side of the equation.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
Can someone edit OP ?

[QUOTE="Iceternal]

So there will be two different models, one for streaming [/QUOTE]
It's false, the article doesn't say anything about streaming. It's a true next gen console, but for 1080p.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
If PS5 is weaker than Anaconda that'd hold back the development baseline anyway. I don't think the lower end MS console would budge that line too much more

I expect a PS5 to be substantially more powerful than the suggested Lockhart spec - the suggested GPU baseline presented here would be far lower than I'd have hoped for out of the next gen. Even if we want to give Lockhart a pass as a 1080p machine, as a GPU target it would represent only a 2-3x alu jump from PS4's 1080p budget. (With a commensurately lower per-pixel jump for Anaconda at 4K).

If there's a single PS5 spec, Sony devs can focus the full whack of that on whatever resolution they choose. Go for very high end techniques at a lower res, or cheaper techniques at 4K, whatever works for the goal they're trying to achieve.

Yes, for third parties the development baseline will be determined anyway by Lockhart in this scenario - at least assuming third parties aren't willing to let it fall behind on performance like they seemingly have with the One S. But that only makes the inflexibility more lamentable IMO.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Consoles didn't even get 7200rpm HDD's until XBX, but now they will have an SSD even on the cheaper model, right.
It's easy to sniff out fake leaks because tech illiterates look at what the best stuff is on PC & include that in their $400-500 Console, like all the rumours PS4/Orbis would have a GTX 680 & an i7, but it got a HD 7870 & a low end Jaguar CPU, because it was $400, not $1000.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
The price gouging by laptop manufacturers has no indication on the price of the component itself or the impact it would have on a console's price. You can get a 1TB NVMe drive for closer to $100 as a consumer, obviously for much less if you're Microsoft.

Yeah but I think it's far more likely to have a 512 or 256 gb sata ssd drives still.
Let's say it was $50 in manufacturing costs it would still be 10% of the sales price of the more expensive box.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
The info we had until now pointed to 3 SKUS, Lockhart, Anaconda and then a streaming one.

So Lockhart is not the streaming one.

If we acknowledge that to be true then is perfectly believable, even the SSD one.

So:
Lockhart $299, 4TF, 1TB SSD, 12 GDDR6
Anaconda $499, 12 TF, 1TB SSD, 16 GDDR6.

Now speculating about PS5 we could have:

PS5, $399, 8-10TF, 2TB HDD/1TB SSD, 16 GDDR6

Edit: All 3 with Zen 2 CPU

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Would think that more RAM and a "normal" SATA 2/3 SSD is way more realistic. SSD should be available in the "premium" console for next gen. Please now Flash cache options or anything like that. Internal HDD with 5400 rpm need to go at this point.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Attacking the next gen market from "both ends" (one console for the 'starting at' price, one for those who want the beefiest system) might be a valid strategy.
But trying to communicate that to the average consumer is gonna be hell.

The new consoles need SSDs, so i have no issues believing that. (and ootb support for external storage, ofc) - 5400RPM disc drives would cripple these devices, especially given how much modern engines and games depend on asset streaming; and assets are becoming bigger and bigger, right?

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
doesnt that mean that external hard drive would require SSD's though? i can see that annoying consumers who purchase an external HDD only to find out it wont work.
I wouldn't be surprised if they don't even support external game installs at launch. As far as I know there is only one USB-to-NVMe controller that can hit 1GB/s. Latency also may be an issue there. I feel like that's just a feature they'd cut if it doesn't work.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Lockhart is the streaming box..

correct. local hardware will be for decoding and backwards compatibility. new gen will be streamed.

Attacking the next gen market from "both ends" (one console for the 'starting at' price, one for those who want the beefiest system) might be a valid strategy.
But trying to communicate that to the average consumer is gonna be hell.

The biggest hurdle will be communicating the quality of connection needed to use the box correctly. Some routers and modems don't play well with xbox live this gen and im not sure that will be fixed for next.