• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SirDante

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 20, 2020
Are these FPS boosts for both Series X and Series S or just Series X?

My cousin owns a Series S and he asked if he will see these FPS boosts as well. I told him yes because SeriesS/X have the same CPUs but I wasn't sure if that was correct or not.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
The PS5 does also have a faster CPU though, doesn't it?
Ultimately, no-one can say without insider knowledge. But I upgraded from a GTX 1070 to an RTX 3060 Ti and saw barely any improvement in that game's performance on PC.
I think you're thinking of how the PS5's GPU has higher clock speeds (though it has less cores). The CPU on Series X is slightly higher clocked than PS5, with the same number of threads (3.6 GHz vs 3.5 GHz). If it *were* CPU bottlenecks on Series X, we'd expect the game on that platform to outperform the game running on PS5, which it doesn't.

Anyways, DF's John Linneman called it 'basically flawless' on PS5.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Are these FPS boosts for both Series X and Series S or just Series X?

My cousin owns a Series S and he asked if he will see these FPS boosts as well. I told him yes because SeriesS/X have the same CPUs but I wasn't sure if that was correct or not.
Depends of the game. Some don't support FPS boost on XSS. For now, most do.

SirDante

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 20, 2020
Retarded.

It sounds like they now focus only on 120 fps.

With decreasing graphics i DONT' CARE about 120 fps
I understand this point of view, but it's been their focus for a while. I believe this is the future though. It doesn't mean graphics will stagnate, but this will be a focus.
Depends of the game. Some don't support FPS boost on XSS. For now, most do.
Is there a master list somewhere? Or a thread that highlights which?
Thanks

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wish that Tomb Raider is considered, playing that game now on xbox is rough

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just wish most of them didn't have to be sub 1080p.

the games with dropped settings already have high resolution patches so if that's your cup of tea it's still an option. Obviously having both would be nice, and I especially think they should add that option so that people can take advantage of VRR. When you could trick it into running high res and fps, reports were that it worked well enough

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
FPS Boost has brought my progress on more recent games to an utter standstill. XB1-era games at 60-120fps feel brand new, especially being as optimized as they have been so far. Some of these legitimately are new-to-me, but even titles I played for dozens of hours have a whole new feel. It's probably like 35% novelty, but I still really like it.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's see:

Arkham Asylum
Arkham City
Arkham Knight
Red Dead Redemption 2
Gears of War: Ultimate Edition
Gears of War 4
What Remains of Edith Finch
Sunset Overdrive
Outer Wilds
Halo 5
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
DOOM 3

… and if we're diving into BC games:

Red Dead Redemption
Gears 2 & 3
Portal / Portal 2
The Orange Box
Sonic Generations
Splinter Cell games
Kameo
Mirror's Edge
Fable trilogy
Fallout 3
Fallout New Vegas

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FPS Boost has brought my progress on more recent games to an utter standstill. XB1-era games at 60-120fps feel brand new, especially being as optimized as they have been so far. Some of these legitimately are new-to-me, but even titles I played for dozens of hours have a whole new feel. It's probably like 35% novelty, but I still really like it.
This and Auto HDR has caused me to freeze playing or replaying games in my backlog until I get a XSX.

Right now, I only play games on my XB1X that have HDR and are at least 60fps. LOL

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Been playing Prey with FPS Boost and it's freaking awesome

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 to 60fps would be such a huge deal. Even if they had to drop the res to 1440 or 1800, I'd be fine with it.

Oct 29, 2017
This and Auto HDR has caused me to freeze playing or replaying games in my backlog until I get a XSX.

Right now, I only play games on my XB1X that have HDR and are at least 60fps. LOL

I know what you mean... I've dipped back into some older titles recently like Ryse and Sunset Overdrive but in the back of my mind I'm like... I'm going to feel like an idiot if I beat this game and then the next week it gets an FPS boost.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I wish we could get 60fps support for some of the 360 and original Xbox titles that run at 4K. That would be so cool.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I've given it more thought and here's my extended list of Xbox One games I would love to see get 60FPS boosts:

- Assassin's Creed - The Ezio Collection, AC3/4, Rogue, Unity, Syndicate, Origins and Odyssey
- Arkham Asylum/City/Knight
- Bioshock 1 & 2 Remastered + Infinite
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
- Dragon Age Inquisition
- Dragon's Dogma
- Far Cry 3 Remastered, FC5 and New Dawn
- Just Cause 3 & 4
- Mad Max
- Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor/War
- Quantum Break
- Sleeping Dogs Remastered
- Watch Dogs 1
- World War Z
- Yakuza 0

And that's about 32 games total, leaving plenty of room for even more if the 50+ rumor is indeed true.

RDR2 to 60fps would be such a huge deal. Even if they had to drop the res to 1440 or 1800, I'd be fine with it.

I would bet money RDR2 and GTAV ain't happening, at least on Microsft's end. Rockstar knows they can releases full-priced S/X + PS5 "remasters" of both games with 60FPS modes and they'll sell like gangbusters. MS are likely focusing on games that have little-to-no chance of getting official upgrades/boosts from their respective developers.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
FPS boost (and improved FOV), among the many other features Microsoft have introduced and are improving, are my most wanted features, so this is excellent news for me.

Keep it up gang.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
And if it will just continue to be Xbox One games I'd prefer games that run at higher resolutions on the One X.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The issue with Arkham Asylum and City is they were later patched with a weird framerate cap at 45fps so the BC team doubling the framerate will still have it capped at 90fps. Unfortunately it needs a patch from the studio to fix it and it seems unlikely to happen.
I would bet money RDR2 and GTAV ain't happening, at least on Microsft's end. Rockstar knows they can releases full-priced S/X + PS5 "remasters" of both games with 60FPS modes and they'll sell like gangbusters. MS are likely focusing on games that have little-to-no chance of getting official upgrades/boosts from their respective developers.
Agreed on GTAV, but I'm not as certain about RDR2.

thankyoumerzbow

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2020
I've given it more thought and here's my extended list of Xbox One games I would love to see get 60FPS boosts:

- Yakuza 0
wait, isnt yakuza 0 already a 60fps game?, i played on ps4 in 2018 but i remember it feeling really smooth and playing yakuza 6 shortly after felt kinda rough at the beginning.

ThisIsPrfct

Jun 9, 2019
I'm guessing they'll focus on Gamepass games for this drop... it would raise even more the value of the service. Previous drops were all gamepass focused (first 5 games were on GP and EA & Bethesda)... could be this kind of boost is part of the deal for games on GP.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
The issue with Arkham Asylum and City is they were later patched with a weird framerate cap at 45fps so the BC team doubling the framerate will still have it capped at 90fps. Unfortunately it needs a patch from the studio to fix it and it seems unlikely to happen.
Are you referring to the Xbox 360 or the Xbox One Return to Arkham versions?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I'm guessing they'll focus on Gamepass games for this drop... it would raise even more the value of the service. Previous drops were all gamepass focused (first 5 games were on GP and EA & Bethesda)... could be this kind of boost is part of the deal for games on GP.
I don't think Watch Dogs 2 and Far Cry 4 have been on game pass (Ubisoft titles), but yeah everything else has been on Game Pass iirc

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I really hope there's a good selection of backcompat titles from x360 era, namely the ones that have only ever been available on Consoles like Fable 2 or Red Dead Redemption. Would also love to see Halo 5 get the double-frame-rate treatment since for some reason they don't seem like they're planning to bring it to PC