• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Pretty sure Ampere's supposed massively improved RT performance over Turing is going to be a major selling point.

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
I don't know if this rumour is credible, but it seems like all of Nvidia's Ampere GPUs will be fabricated at Samsung's 8 nm nodes instead of TSMC's 7 nm nodes.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
They better put out some more games with RTX then.

I have a 2080ti and I've maybe played 5 hours of games with RT on in the last year.

Dont expect it to become standardised right out the game, but next gen consoles will aid in encouraging multi platform devs to include ray tracing features.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Quick question.
My monitors are overdue for a change. I plan to pick up the 3080 on release. Should I stick to 1440p & 144+ hz or go for 4K? Either option at 27 inches.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Those won't start showing up any signficant numbers until the next gen consoles launch.
It doesn't matter what causes them to be developed. Next gen consoles aren't going to have next gen PC desktop-level performance anyway, so I'm not sure how their attempt at raytracing on AMD APUs will influence discrete cards.

Until there are a lot of games in different genres that support it out actually out for purchase, RTX is not a very good reason to upgrade imo.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I don't know if this rumour is credible, but it seems like all of Nvidia's Ampere GPUs will be fabricated at Samsung's 8 nm nodes instead of TSMC's 7 nm nodes.

We would need to know a lot more about differences between the two in order to be able to tell if it actually matters in the slightest. A lot node processes while having 1 to 3 nm differences can reach same efficiencies.

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
We would need to know a lot more about differences between the two in order to be able to tell if it actually matters in the slightest. A lot node processes while having 1 to 3 nm differences can reach same efficiencies.

The consensus I've heard so far is that Samsung's 8 nm node is inferior to TSMC's 7 nm node since Samsung's 8 nm mode is based on Samsung's 10 nm node.

But saying that, I wonder if AMD can catch up to Nvidia when it comes to power efficiency with the RDNA2 GPUs since the RDNA2 GPUs are being fabricated at TSMC's 7 nm nodes. Nvidia still has the edge over AMD when it comes to new features (such as DLSS 2.0).

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

I'm hoping if this is true they will be able to have lower prices than if they had went with TSMC, Turing was too expensive relative to past generations.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm generalizing and simplifying things too much, but what is it with nvidia and intel struggling so much with smaller fabs while AMD seems to be knocking it out of the park?

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Maybe I'm generalizing and simplifying things too much, but what is it with nvidia and intel struggling so much with smaller fabs while AMD seems to be knocking it out of the park?

Nvidia doesn't have their own fabs, they pay fabs to produce their chips. Just like AMD.

There is zero indicators that Nvidia is having trouble with node shrinks for their designs.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't matter what causes them to be developed. Next gen consoles aren't going to have next gen PC desktop-level performance anyway, so I'm not sure how their attempt at raytracing on AMD APUs will influence discrete cards.

Until there are a lot of games in different genres that support it out actually out for purchase, RTX is not a very good reason to upgrade imo.
Next Gen consoles having Raytracing support means a lot more pc games should also support raytracing

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA

I've heard that Nvidia is considering dividing fabricating Ampere GPUs between Samsung's fabrication nodes and TSMC's fabrication nodes to pressure TSMC to lower the price of using their 7 nm fabrication nodes. And it seems like Nvidia failed to do so since many companies default to TSMC's fabrication nodes despite the high price.

And Intel owned their own fabrication nodes unlike Nvidia. And Intel's fabrication nodes are different from TSMC's fabrication nodes.

Last edited:

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Yeah, I can understand that. It's one of the reasons I skipped the 2XXX series - no RTX features in the games I care about killed off a big reason to consider upgrading.

But the more time passes, the more games ship with it, and the more we're seeing consumers desire RTX features. DLSS has also started to become a huge tensor core selling point.

If Ubisoft announces RTX features for AC Valhalla for example, I'm in. It's clearly an amazing feature set that truly feels like a leap rather than a step forwards. But indeed, if it isn't available in the games you like to play, then it's a moot point =P

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

That rumor sounds so shaky considering how much power TSMC hold over everyone as being one of very few big fab players around, also they constantly run on production limits afaik.

Maybe it would work if players (AMD, NV, Apple...) actually united to pull something.

Jtrizzy

Nov 13, 2017
What's the best way to get a 3000 series at launch? This will be my 5th Nvidia GPU, but I've never tried getting them at launch. Are the founders editions any better or worse than an MSI, for example?

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
What's the best way to get a 3000 series at launch? This will be my 5th Nvidia GPU, but I've never tried getting them at launch. Are the founders editions any better or worse than an MSI, for example?
The FE cards seem to have the best silicon, ie, closest to set tolerance levels. So theoretically they can be overclocked consistently, higher, etc. And NVIDIA pick the best of the production batches for their branded GPUs. The second parties get the lower tier silicon, but typically their cooling solutions are be better, and they are cheaper overall.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have people seen the new 3080Ti leak from ASUS?

videocardz.com

ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 Ti ROG STRIX leaked? - VideoCardz.com

We have received a picture of alleged next-generation graphics cards from ASUS. ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 Ti ROG STRIX Is this the upcoming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti from ASUS? We are not sure. The picture (which originally was much lower resolution) shows a new model featuring ROG STRIX branding and a...
Asus design is more angular, but I do see some design similarities with Founder Edition 3080 card that leaked previously.

zerocalories

Oct 28, 2017
California

videocardz.com

We have received a picture of alleged next-generation graphics cards from ASUS. ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 Ti ROG STRIX Is this the upcoming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti from ASUS? We are not sure. The picture (which originally was much lower resolution) shows a new model featuring ROG STRIX branding and a...

Yessssssss

It's coming!

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
So is there any reason to expect the 3080ti to come out alongside the 3070 and 3080, given that the ti cards have usually come out a few months later?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
So is there any reason to expect the 3080ti to come out alongside the 3070 and 3080, given that the ti cards have usually come out a few months later?
Big Navi being faster than 3080 would be one reason for them to launch the 3090/3080ti so that they can have a faster card on market.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
They may also attempt to snag those holdouts who just stuck with their 1080 Tis waiting for a new performance leading card that's actually of a sufficiently large jump to justify the investment.

Tons of us skipped Turing entirely because it didn't feel like we were getting enough bang for the buck. For rasterized games the price-equivalent option, the RTX 2080, was basically a sidegrade, and the only reason to bother would be for the feature set, which clearly was not a strong selling point (especially since adoption of RTX features has been rather slow).

Oct 27, 2017
USA
The ASUS leak does not look like it's made for a split PCB so I wonder if the AIB cards will retain the normal PCB style, the split PCB is only on nvidia made cards or if it was ever anything beyond a concept.

It is possible I've missed some info, haven't really been following it closely.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
The ASUS leak does not look like it's made for a split PCB so I wonder if the AIB cards will retain the normal PCB style, the split PCB is only on nvidia made cards or if it was ever anything beyond a concept.

It is possible I've missed some info, haven't really been following it closely.

Per GamersNexus they always test multiple if not dozens of heatsink configurations for cost, effectiveness, etc. So it's likely this is one of those prototype runs. Maybe they do it, maybe they don't, or maybe just for certain cards, etc

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
The FE cards seem to have the best silicon, ie, closest to set tolerance levels. So theoretically they can be overclocked consistently, higher, etc. And NVIDIA pick the best of the production batches for their branded GPUs. The second parties get the lower tier silicon, but typically their cooling solutions are be better, and they are cheaper overall.
NVIDIA isn't picking and choosing what ones to keep for themselves and leaving their partners with inferior ones, they'd get sued out the ass for doing that. There are two bins, the "normal" bin for GPUs that meet the advertised clocks/spec and then there's the "OC bin" , that is used for FE cards and the overclock variations put out by their partners. Getting a FE doesn't guarantee it's going to be a better over clocker than say EVGA's "super clocked" or FTW cards.

Last edited:

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where?
The Strix looks like a standard 3-fan design, pretty different from the push/pull configuration of the rumored FE.
I mean the actual shroud design, not the fan placement. Both designs have metallic highlights and both have black grills, although FE card these grills are actually cooler fin stack, while on Asus card it's merely for looks.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland

videocardz.com

Ohh I hope this is real.

related: the latest talk is that, where the RTX 3080 Ti will sit in Nvidia's stack, it will be below the RTX 3090 and that 3090 is not a replacement name for a 3080 Ti.
Two different products.

RTX 3090 could either sit below the RTX Titan Ampere card, or be the product that would have been a Titan.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone calculate the teraflops amount, based on the rumors, for the RTX 3080/3080Ti/3090/Titan 2020?

FLOPS is kind of a useless metric for game performance, and doubly so when trying to make comparisons across architectures. People only started talking about it again because they needed something for console warz. The sooner we can lay it to rest again, the better.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not. With new consoles launching in just a few months in the $400-500 range for the entire system, prices need to come down substantially for people not to simply leave PC gaming and get an Xbox/PS instead.

I've been a PC gamer since I was 3, but for the first time I'm considering getting a PS5 instead since I find it difficult to warrant the 4x price for a gaming PC with essentially the same hardware.

This is exactly where I'm at right now.
Need a PC upgrade bad from my i5 6600k, gtx 970, and 8gb RAM.

prices and availability are just insane right now on some components. Good luck finding the top AMD mobos right now. They sell out as soon as they show up. Power supplies are rare and expensive. Choices are limited on components right now. I've been building my own PCs for 15 years and I do think this is one of the worst times to build being just a few months away from next gen graphics cards and the limited availability of some components.

The value proposition isn't even comparable right now based on the performance of what you're going to get out of a Xbox Series X or PS5 at likely $500-$600. Now a year from now..things might be different but the price/performance is weighted heavily in the next-gen consoles favor, at least for the next year.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ohh I hope this is real.

related: the latest talk is that, where the RTX 3080 Ti will sit in Nvidia's stack, it will be below the RTX 3090 and that 3090 is not a replacement name for a 3080 Ti.
Two different products.

RTX 3090 could either sit below the RTX Titan Ampere card, or be the product that would have been a Titan.
What about 3090ti

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
ASUS-GeForce-RTX-3080-Ti-ROG-STRIX.jpg

holy shit that's huge. Look at the guy's size

Status
Not open for further replies.