• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SAINT_

Banned
Oct 4, 2020
GoW will definitely be in the running for GOTY. It's the sequel to one of the best games ever made.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
let's face it: Stray has it locked.
5jTIEbi.png

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
You're onto something here Release date based around Game awards eligibility is the kind of pathetic shit Sony would care about

it's common for developers to get bonuses and perks based on sales and awards and according to reports, sony didn't greenlighted a Days Gone sequel based on reception/awards even with the game selling 10mi+ with good word of mouth.

so yeah, it's not rent free on their heads but i would say they care

May 23, 2020
BE CAREFUL OF SPOILERS GOD OF WAR 2018 spoiled a lot in its trailer. If you are going to play this maybe better to skip the trailer.

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They said that about RDR2 as well, even before it released and GoW had already released. ;)

To me, RDR2 losing made sense because GoW's story was almost just as good, except it actually had great gameplay :P

In comparison people seem a lot more high on ER's gameplay, so it'll be interesting to see how that shakes out come December

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
He gonna tease something that is so long waited to be announced with new trailer and date? It is very hard to come up with such hint.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't he also tweet something recently about console wars being stupid or something?

I wonder if GoW:R will be announced for PC as well in this event and that's what he was referring to.

I would've said that maybe they'll announce an Xbox version but that seems too insane atm lol
it's common for developers to get bonuses and perks based on sales and awards and according to reports, sony didn't greenlighted a Days Gone sequel based on reception/awards even with the game selling 10mi+ with good word of mouth.

so yeah, it's not rent free on their heads but i would say they care
Not true.

Bend didn't pitch Days Gone 2 to Sony because the studio management didn't want to do Days Gone 2, hence the "local studio management" bit in the og tweet of the Days Gone director. Apparently he later clarified this in his interview with David Jaffe.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping this is a whole-ass SoP with other games making an appearance too :(

Excited for Ragnarok, but there's SE stuff I want dated, etc.

OP
OP
AshenOne

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Lol people said the same thing about RDR2 and GTA5 winning over TLOU and God of War. Some people never learn.
Sequels, especially direct sequels usually tend to not generate a lot of a buzz and a sense of uniqueness as the first game in the series though unless the sequel is exceptional. RDR 2 was a direct prequel, GoW: R seems to be a direct sequel also as per speculation based on trailers. Elden ring take the Souls formula in a metroidvania ish open world. Its also From's first breakout hit. Based on everything don't count on Ragnarok to beat it I'd say.

Elden ring's case is different From RDR2.

Last edited:

Kratos2098

Feb 18, 2022
Sequels, especially direct sequels tend to not generate ad of a buzz and a sense of uniqueness as the first game in the series though. RDR 2 was a direct prequel, GoW: R seems to be a direct sequel also as per speculation based on trailers. Elden ring take the Souls formula in a metroidvania ish open world. Its also From's first breakout hit. Based on everything don't count on Ragnarok to beat it I'd say.

OK I heard the same thing said about TLOU2. That it's a direct sequel and it won't change much from a gameplay perspective. Then it went on to win 300+ GOTY awards. People need to stop doubting these games with prior entries that were universally praised.

OP
OP
AshenOne

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
OK I heard the same thing said about TLOU2. That it's a direct sequel and it won't change much from a gameplay perspective. Then it went on to win 300+ GOTY awards. People need to stop doubting these games with prior entries that were universally praised.
Like I said TLOU 2 was an exception to this and its not like we haven't experienced an RDR Game before 2.

Regardless ER's circumstances are the most unique in this case and how a souls like breaks into the mainstream with an open world and being from's first breakout hit, not to mention G.R.RM's name is attached to it.

The latter paragraph, is why I said that don't count on it.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Sequels, especially direct sequels usually tend to not generate a lot of a buzz and a sense of uniqueness as the first game in the series though unless the sequel is exceptional. RDR 2 was a direct prequel, GoW: R seems to be a direct sequel also as per speculation based on trailers. Elden ring take the Souls formula in a metroidvania ish open world. Its also From's first breakout hit. Based on everything don't count on Ragnarok to beat it I'd say.

I think GoW in particular shouldn't be looked at like it's any other series though. We are talking about a franchise that has a had 90+ score for every mainline entry across three console generations. If GoW:R makes it out this year, there is a very good chance that it'll be a big GotY contender.

Kratos2098

Feb 18, 2022
Like I said TLOU 2 was an exception to this and its not like we haven't experienced an RDR Game before 2.

Regardless ER's circumstances are the most unique in this case and how a souls like breaks into the mainstream with an open world and being from's first breakout hit, not to mention G.R.RM's name is attached to it.

The latter paragraph, is why I said that don't count on it.
Not saying Elden Ring won't win but I tend not to doubt a sequel to a game whose prior entry won over 200 GOTY awards. There are barely any games that ever win that amount and the last time a sequel to one did (TLOU/TLOU2) the sequel was praised more than the original. Games with great stories also tend to have an advantage and the story in Elden Ring is weak.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
You're onto something here Release date based around Game awards eligibility is the kind of pathetic shit Sony would care about

Its not really pathetic. A game winning a heap of awards gets attention. Its also like early to mid-November for cutoffs, so if the game were coming out this year, I doubt they would release it much after that anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.