• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Is Sony did this they would have access to what they have been missing... Very pretty cinematic third person action adventure games!

Jokes aside, I'm a bit concerned with how next gen is shaping up with money being thrown around to buy up studios/publishers.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That's what I said in my first post. I said MS most likely does not give the Xbox division access to the full purse. I was stating that despite that, they are so large that even if they had a smaller budget for their games division it would still be a significant amount.
Well if we go by recent studio acquisition of xbox, they were all small Dev/struggling which shows they did not have a blank check from MS to buy anyone they want . There is always limit .these companies are this big by not spending lots of money where they don't see much return

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
*shrug* I'll be that guy. Their output this gen has really sucked. GTA V and RD2 are it. Beyond that they have their sports titles, smaller niche games like CIv and Xcom, remasters, bombs like Evolve and Battleborn, or games that were successful but not successful enough because of being stuck in dev hell like Mafia 3.

IMO even as someone who primary plays PS4, Sony should buy them, and Rockstar should break off and become independent.

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I'm sure it will be incredibly easy for Sony brass to convince the board and all their shareholders that they should wipe out their entire cash reserve to make this purchase. /s
That's not how this works.

Some companies do it that way yes but 95% of the time they don't.

Take Disney as an example. You think they had 50 billion+ in cash reserves for fox?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Obviously a lot of interesting discussion here regarding rumors, speculation, and stock prices. I wound up doing a Virtual Legality on the subject to talk both about the rumor as well as what an acquisition might look like.

Regardless of whether there's something or nothing behind this, this seems insightful so far, thanks for posting it!

Seems like Take Two closed up about 7% on the day in the end today.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It's 100% fake but funny that one of the ps5 leaks said next GTA is exclusive to ps5 and will be shown . This would make a bit of sense for that fake rumor lol

Try not to word posts in a definitive way when you're just speculating. Sometimes these posts get taken out of context.

Thanks

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to picture a world where Rockstar games are Sony platform exclusives, and it's just weird.

ByteSizeRick

Oct 27, 2017
Watching now. Thanks for doing one.
Regardless of whether there's something or nothing behind this, this seems insightful so far, thanks for posting it!

Seems like Take Two closed up about 7% on the day in the end today.

Happy to. I've been enjoying putting the series together (can't believe it's on Episode 35 already), but as a mergers and acquisitions guy, I couldn't help but comment on one of the crazier rumors of this young year. Still think there might be something there (a 7% jump is nothing to sneeze at), but in any event, I hope I helped illuminate a bit of how an acquisition works from a legal (and board) perspective.

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
No way Sony would do this. What would it be for exactly? For that one big R* game every 6 or 7 years? They get it on their platform regardless and it will sell best on their too so why spend 10+ billion? Same applies to the NBA. I just don't see how this would be beneficial for them.

Who Sony really needs to jump on is Bungie. They lack 1st party FPS games and Bungie could fill that hole really nice for them for the next 10+ years. Dropping a billion or 2 on Bungie makes so much more sense than dropping 10-20 on Take-Two.

Wulfer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If Sony makes this bold move, no one here can ever accuse Microsoft of unfair business tactics because they bought a big studio.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to picture a world where Rockstar games are Sony platform exclusives, and it's just weird.
Frankly the real WTF for me would be Civilization, not Rockstar stuff. That's already platform-sketchy to me with GTA5 and RDR2 PC shenanigans.

Unless I'm dumb and Civilization would automatically unbind that is.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
As long as their games are released on whatever the most powerful platform is currently available, then I don't give a shit who owns Take-Two. Sony are shitty enough by having their games locked to outdated hardware as it is.

Wow, has to be the dumbest take in here. Yes Sony locks away their games in their machine
No way Sony would do this. What would it be for exactly? For that one big R* game every 6 or 7 years? They get it on their platform regardless and it will sell best on their too so why spend 10+ billion? Same applies to the NBA. I just don't see how this would be beneficial for them.

Who Sony really needs to jump on is Bungie. They lack 1st party FPS games and Bungie could fill that hole really nice for them for the next 10+ years. Dropping a billion or 2 on Bungie makes so much more sense than dropping 10-20 on Take-Two.

Bungie is awful at everything but gunplay (which admittedly is like 70% of what a good shooter should be). 4A of the fps studio they really need

Shibi

Oct 25, 2017
I do appreciate that from the beginning of this rumor, this thread was generally doubtful and slightly suspicious, a proper response to a rumor. No one was warned or banned for doubting it's veracity either.

Starfire22

Banned
May 5, 2018
Oklahoma
I still am doubtful of this, but in the very slim chance this happens, what will happen to 2K/TT's other properties? Civ comes to mind, as well as XCOM and the sports franchises. (Especially if you have a digital copy of any of the Civ games)

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, has to be the dumbest take in here. Yes Sony locks away their games in their machine

What's dumb about wanting more freedom for consumers? Microsoft is doing the right thing by gradually publishing all their Xbox games on PC. Sony should do the same. The PC version of GTAV is by far the best version of the game, it would be a crime if the next Rockstar game was exclusive to a single console.

Wulfer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sony doesn't just buy studios. They also foster talent and let it grow. They let projects live for a long time that aren't guaranteed to be big money makers.

Microsoft only buy their way through everything and cancel anything the moment it doesn't look like it'll sell.

So much wrong here, I don't know where to begin!

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I mean if that did happen I definitely wouldn't be buying a PS5, I'm simply not going to support that kind of business practice.

The only good that could come of this is if Sony stepped into Rockstars development and improved working conditions for the devs, but that would likely never happen as I'm sure Sony wouldn't want to mess with their success in any way.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What's dumb about wanting more freedom for consumers? Microsoft is doing the right thing by gradually publishing all their Xbox games on PC. Sony should do the same. The PC version of GTAV is by far the best version of the game, it would be a crime if the next Rockstar game was exclusive to a single console.

Microsoft owns Windows, Sony does not.

Hope this helps.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
What do you mean all the profit they have made so far? You've made multiple grossly inaccurate posts in this thread. Perhaps try to actually better educate or inform yourself before posting further?

It wouldn't be all of Sony's profit they've ever made so far, it'd be about 2-3 years worth of profit (based on recent filings) to pay for such an acquisition, but then obviously the idea would be that such an acquisition would lend to greater profitability, market presence, or bolstering of the brand/services further down the line. It isn't like there would be no return whatsoever on such an acquisition.

This isn't to say this rumour is credible, but nearly every post you've made in this thread has been way off the mark or indicative of a really poor understanding of how this stuff works.

As have yours mate.

Sony will not spend tens of billions of dollars to acquire Take two.

It's against thier status quo of being more efficient.

And I don't need advice off you are we clear?

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Doubt anything comes of this, but if this does happen, I think it would be Sony looking ahead towards the streaming future and needing IP and GAAS to compete in that space.
I actually think they'd keep Take Two's IP multi-platform next-gen.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
3w2MWDX.png

Not happening people.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
If GTA is exclusive on PlayStation Sony wins every gen from now until the end of time
If Sony ever bought Take Two and Rockstar, I doubt that they'd continue to give Rockstar the ludicrous budgets that games like GTAV and RDR2 command. They have other studios with their own AAA games that require budgeting.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Why only stop at R*? Might as well buy Nintendo, Sega & MS IPs while you're at it with them imaginary deep pockets.

Status
Not open for further replies.