• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Sad if true, but if that's what it takes for the thing to be whisper quiet, I'll take it.

hopefully not much bigger than the series x.

SpecDot

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
qcZDEts.jpg
I have 5 PlayStation 5s. You do not have 5 PlayStation 5s.
I am ready for thicc gurl.
Fat bottomed girls make the world go round.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Come on, this is clearly bullshit.

Does anyone genuinely believe that the PS5 is going to be that size?!

EDIT:

Sony-PS4-Pro-Stacked-Consoles-Front.jpg

There's no way on God's green earth it's going to be anywhere near that size.

That's not a million miles away from the size of the Series X though if you laid it on it's side. Both companies seem to have taken cooling extremely seriously next gen and size is the unfortunate price you have to pay for that.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
XSX's shape is novelty but it's going to be hard to fit anywhere.

I hope PS5 has a more "standard" shape.
Not true at all, did you watch the DF breakdown? Missed all the info graphics? It chiefly serves a function for all the power and heat it's generating. XSX is whisper quiet thanks to its shape.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it's a legit news tbh.

They are telling us that it's fatter than a console that had an overclocked GPU based on a older-architecture ?

I don't believe it, it's the same component compared to the XSX, which is a small tower shaped console, with a vapor cooling solution, If Sony is not using a vapor cooling solution it will be fatter than a XSX for sure, but not fatter than a PS4 pro, I don't believe it one second.

We will certainly not see the console next thrusday but maybe in july/august, but I'm not going to believe that rumour :) .

It is not the same component. XSX GPU should be around 50% larger, but running much slower and cooler per core. I'm not sure which will draw more power overall though.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How does RDNA2 ray tracing work?

Basically the same way NVIDIA does it with RTX. Casting rays from the camera and using something called a BVH (Bounding Volume Hierarchy) as a way to group objects that ray tracing can affect to lower performance costs. Think of hitboxes in fighting games or I suppose regular collision detection. Instead of simulating the rays intersecting with every single polygon, they intersect with predetermined BVH boxes.

Sony has some different terms for the BVH and other structures within. You can hear Cerny talk about it here, at 30:00

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
They key design just means it is going to look like the OG PS2

not even trying it is legit a carbon copy of the OG PS2 even the logo on top is the same lol

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Honestly I am hoping for a "normal" looking console.
I don't hate the XSX but it looks like a smokestack or some speaker lol. Really unique for sure.
A square sounds good to me!

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
I think the system will be big, but not 2x PS4 Pro big. Maybe slightly bigger than OG XB1 or OG PS3.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds good to me if true.

Bigger console = better air flow = no jet engine noises.

My Pro is LOUD.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I have a big ass PC tower close to my TV so it wouldn't really matter. I personally think it's gonna be quite uglier (this is subjective though) than the Xbox Series X due to them prioritizing cooling, which they should after the Jet Engine Pro 4.

Last edited:

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Kind of what I was hoping for, my TV stand wouldn't even be able to support the XSX. It's like a mini PC tower. Where would I put it? The floor?

A PS4 Pro that's taller/thicker is my ideal choice.

Konosuke

Oct 29, 2017
This is a stupid rumor. We've seen devkit pictures. No retail sku is the same size or larger compared to their devkits

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
fighting game locals are going to have some broken backs by the end of this gen

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Almost twice as big? Isn't that like 10 liters? Compared to the 6.X liters of the Series X

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
That would literally be the size of an AV receiver. I have a hard time believe that. I also don't know why this person would have access to that information.

omegasc

Banned
Sep 12, 2018
You guys don't get it. Sony made TEMPEST so everyone will use headphones and won't notice how loud the console is.

Status
Not open for further replies.