• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

NVIDIA's next generation family of graphics cards will debut as the GeForce 11 series around July, one memory supplier has revealed. The new family of GPUs from the green team will be based on the company's upcoming Turing/Ampere graphics architectures. One architecture will address the PC gaming market, while the other will be the company's new entry for the AI and compute markets.

Time to upgrade my 970!

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm on the same boat, I want to upgrade my 970 (don't need to, but the sooner the better in light of all these gpu prices) . I wonder what the starting prices are going to be, if they're going to be affected off the bat due to miners or not.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Now I'm glad the dystopian future of currency has dissuaded me from getting new parts earlier this year.

Melkaz

Oct 26, 2017
I'm also still on a 970 (still doing okay on 144Ghz with G-sync) and I'm feeling the upgrade itch! Hopefully it won't be a combination of what happened during the 10x0 launch (low stock, most all blower fans) and the recent bitcoin market :(

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I literally just bought a 1070. Doubt I'll be able to get this at launch for a reasonable price.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally, I've been suffering with this 950 for too long.

Getting one of these is going to be a royal pain in the ass though, and it'll be a founders card I bet :\

Was it a bad decision buying a 1080Ti over a month ago?

I don't expect the 2080 or whatever it ends up being called being much stronger than that, if it is at all.

People will tell you yes but honestly if you are always waiting for the next thing you will never get what you want. At some point you just have to say this is what I am buying right now and just get the best available price you can.

This too. If I could have found a decent 1080ti for 700-800 I would have gotten one now. I'm sick to death of waiting and miners have made this process infinitely more complicated than it needs to be.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
if theres a 50% or more upgrade across my product segment ill upgrade but im not too optimistic on that big of a jump this round

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Big Boss Salute to my 760 GTX. You've done me proud but it's time I moved on to greener (heh) pastures

Coolade

Oct 27, 2017
Was it a bad decision buying a 1080Ti over a month ago?

Depends on what you're trying to do. I'm running a 3440x1440 with a 1080ti and 6700k. Are you trying to do 4k 60 at ultra settings? Then maybe waiting would have been optimal. If you're not trying to push the extreme then 1080ti should hold us over for awhile (I'm hoping...)

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm gonna get a laptop with a 1180 (which hopefully is even closer in performance than the 1080 versus the desktop variant).

My 680M needs to be retired at this point.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing Far Cry 5 at 1440p at near Ultra settings on a 1060. What kind of performance are some of ya'll getting out of your 1070s that you already need this?

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
I was just about to bite for a new PC build. Looks like I'll be hanging on for a few months yet.

I'm playing Far Cry 5 at 1440p at near Ultra settings on a 1060. What kind of performance are some of ya'll getting out of your 1070s that you already need this?
Dunno about 1070's but with a 1080ti you can't get 4K@60fps and highest settings. The 11 series cards will, though I wonder if it'll take a 11 series ti to hit that performance.

The Stig

Oct 25, 2017
Noice. Hopefully I'm able to scoop one up at launch, my 970 just isn't quite cutting the mustard at 1440p anymore.

Oct 29, 2017
How is nvidia going to have their cards ready for July if Hynix's GDDR6 mass production starts in 3 months?
I'll say they probably release to consumers in August.

Chromanin

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
Isn't this just a rumor?

As long as Nvidia's not confirming, it makes no sense to have these discussions. There's been a LOT of rumors to the point of getting annoying.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I hate how hard it is to get a GPU at release these days. I'm too old/busy to camp online stores and hope I get in on a 15 second window. I did that last year for the 1080 Ti and it was awful.

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Scrolling down their page they had rumors cards would launch 2 days ago that didn't. How reliable are they with these rumors?

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm in the same boat with my 970. It's my favourite card that I've ever had, but I think this is the year I upgrade (for no other reason than to upgrade my motherboard and CPU which is really bottlenecking me), so this is good timing

Hopefully they aren't out of stock for the next three years while crypto weirdos buy them all at exorbitant prices

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
I'll wait for an official announcement Nvidia. Many of us were hoping for that 11-series announcement at GTC 2018. An announcement that many sites, including Wccftech said was going to happen. Take this with a grain of salt, until we get some more official bits.

Lux86

Oct 27, 2017
Dude what? Why would ya move on from a 1070? Unless it's like 4x the performance I would stick with it. It's An amazing card

It is, but maybe with this seller friendly market i'll be able to get the new card for a great price (however it's not day one for me, i'll wait for a "mini" version)

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
New GPU launches are always fascinating to me, I'm curious to see what will they offer.

Next Generation x80 GPUs are always faster than the previous generation's TI cards with upwards of 20% performance gains, the next x80 could possibly have 16GB of ram unless it's on a 256 bit memory bus. While the next x80 Ti could potentially have 24GB of ram assuming it's on a 384 bit memory bus.

The performance improvement from the stock (reference) GTX 980 Ti to GTX 1080 was an increase of around 30-40% IIRC, although the Maxwell GPUs have renowned overclocking headroom which their Pascal successors don't quite share. Maxwell GPUs were often capable of overclocking 20% higher than their factory clocks if they don't already have a high overclock already. I was able to overclock my GTX 970 +20% higher than it's stock clocks.

The die shrink appeared to have a fairly significant impact upon Pascal which helped it obtain higher clocks, I'm curious to see what NVIDIA do with their next generation GPUs, in terms of core counts and clock-speeds, among other things.

Edit - Expanded post, corrected mistake and made it clearer.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017
Looks like I may have a chance to upgrade from my 1060 soon. If they're not too expensive. And I'll have some money by then, too.

I would like to be ready for better VR experiences and settings.
What nanometer process will this be using? 10 nanometer transistors?

Oct 29, 2017
We don't even know if the whole of series 11 will have GDDR6. But that doesn't probably matters much, even if 1160 is GDDR5, it will surely release way after the 1180.