• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Chances of Coronavirus affecting any h/w launch are low but the fact that there will be nothing to compete with till the end of the year means that NV won't rush with gaming Ampere either.
I dunno, I would have thought that AMD announcing that second gen Navi was due in the next 12 months would encourage Nvidia to start launching Ampere GeForce cards sooner rather than later. Maybe not August, but certainly before December.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, I would have thought that AMD announcing that second gen Navi was due in the next 12 months would encourage Nvidia to start launching Ampere GeForce cards sooner rather than later. Maybe not August, but certainly before December.
They mentioned Navi2X, but with no idea of how it performs, Nvidia is keeping things close to the chest. Ampere should at least be detailed, but Geforce pricing can wait a while

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Which is pretty late in the grand scheme of things. We were expecting it if not in March then in June at least. Now I'm fairly certain that they won't bother till Sep - because why would they, with no immediate threat?

Ampere should at least be detailed
Nah, I don't expect that either. We may get some info on GA100 (likely available by the end of the year, as usual) in a couple of weeks but that's about it until Siggraph in August probably.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They mentioned Navi2X, but with no idea of how it performs, Nvidia is keeping things close to the chest. Ampere should at least be detailed, but Geforce pricing can wait a while
AMD claimed a 50% performance-per-watt increase. Which, if true, would put it right around where I'd expect Ampere to land.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I don't expect that either. We may get some info on GA100 (likely available by the end of the year, as usual) in a couple of weeks but that's about it until Siggraph in August probably.
That's what I mean about Ampere being detailed. They're still gonna sell Ampere Tesla, conference or no conference

AMD claimed a 50% performance-per-watt increase. Which, if true, would put it right around where I'd expect Ampere to land.
Yea, but never take marketing slides at face value

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
That's what I mean about Ampere being detailed. They're still gonna sell Ampere Tesla, conference or no conference
Remains to be seen really. GTC has went from an event to a livestream to a series of news posts, and the latter seems a bit too light weight for an announcement of a next gen product. Also if it's anything like it was with GP100 and GV100, there won't be many gaming related info anyhow and the gaming parts themselves are very likely to end up being significantly different.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
anyone know the eta on these things?
I suspect we won't be seeing anything from Nvidia until late summer or fall. the COVID-19 could even cause some delays but we have no idea. Also the launch could depend on AMD NAVI 2 hardware and performance. If they match or exceed Nvidia current hardware, there will be more pressure to release the new hardware. Otherwise, Nvidia might drag the current gen GPUs for a bit longer.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
So has any more news come up on the potential 3080ti or do I have to start making plans to sell my kidney for a Titan? (which I hope is not $3000usd this time)

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I suspect we won't be seeing anything from Nvidia until late summer or fall. the COVID-19 could even cause some delays but we have no idea. Also the launch could depend on AMD NAVI 2 hardware and performance. If they match or exceed Nvidia current hardware, there will be more pressure to release the new hardware. Otherwise, Nvidia might drag the current gen GPUs for a bit longer.
I'm kinda betting on this, to be honest.

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
:(

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
I don't care when they release the 3080 Ti as long as it's before September 17th.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Also the launch could depend on AMD NAVI 2 hardware and performance. If they match or exceed Nvidia current hardware, there will be more pressure to release the new hardware.
This is not how it works. You can't just release new h/w because something is whooping your ass on the market already. It takes at least three years to make a new GPU architecture and build a lineup of products on it. The only thing you can do is adjust the launch frames and tweak new product positions according to current market situation. Whatever NV had in the pipe for 2020 will launch in 2020, barring some end of the world scenario preventing this.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
With the specs of the X1X and the PS5 now known, imagine if Ampere isn't 70% faster than Turing, and they only drop the prices by £100.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
i think youre going to be very disappointed with nvidias next GPUs

I don't know about 70%, but if they don't execute a very large improvement they risk losing the lead to AMD, if XSX spec is legit consider that is an APU & a very limited power spec - they would easily be within reach of 18 tflops+ in a PC card.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much every leak so far listed ampere with a 50% performance gain over turing with vastly improved RT.

Some new rumors via wccftech just from today
  • INT32 Unit remains unchanged.
  • Double the FP32 Unit for shader proportion.
  • The performance of the new Tensor Core is doubled.
  • Enhanced L1 Data Cache for more comprehensive functions.
  • True architecture for RTX GAMING with all-new design RT CORE ADVANCED.
The last bit is something that sounds straight out of NVIDIA marketing material and is something that makes me think that this just might turn out to be true. RT Core Advanced is also a very plausible naming scheme coming from what appears to be a non-native English speaker. Consider me intrigued at the very least although I would still advise copious amounts of salt to go with this.

NVIDIA RTX 3080 Ti 'GA103' GPU will have 60 SMs and 320-bit 10GB/20GB Graphics Memory

The rumor doesn't end there, the tweeter has also made block diagrams of the GA103 and GA104 GPUs - which would be the graphics processors that the mainstream client will actually get after launch. These are the parts that a gamer will be able to buy without going completely bankrupt. For the higher end GA103 part, which will end up being the RTX 3080 Ti or whatever NV decides to call it, you are looking at 60 SMs for a total of 3840 CUDA cores assuming the old proportion or 7680 CUDA cores assuming a new 128 cores per SM ratio (thanks for the flag, Boro and PCMasterRace!). For reference, the RTX 2080 Ti has 72 SMs with 4608 CUDA Cores.

Coupled with the doubled RTX core performance (and the resulting increase in DLSS throughput) you are easily looking at real-world performance increase in the range of 50% over Turing. If NVIDIA shifts to a 7nm process, they would be able to manage all this while staying well within acceptable power thresholds. The GA103 Ampere GPU will be coupled with 10GB/20GB vRAM.

NVIDIA RTX 3080 'GA104' GPU will have 48 SMs and 256-bit 8GB/16GB Graphics Memory

Up next, you have the GA104 GPU, which should end up in the RTX 2080 replacement (the RTX 3080?) with 48 SMs (3072 CUDA cores based on old proportion, 6144 new). This is very slightly more than the RTX 2080 at 46 SMs. Coupled with higher performance throughput and the doubled RTX cores you are once again looking at significant performance increases if this turns out to be true. According to the rumor, the RTX 3080 GPU will be coupled with 8GB/16GB of vRAM and a 256-bit bus width.

Last edited:

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I don't know about 70%, but if they don't execute a very large improvement they risk losing the lead to AMD, if XSX spec is legit consider that is an APU & a very limited power spec - they would easily be within reach of 18 tflops+ in a PC card.

its hard for me to see more than 50% increase at each respective tier and i think thats a best case. i also think prices will be similar to turing launch or go up even more. they arent at risk of losing anything to AMD. highly unlikely big navi can compete with a chip up to 50% faster than a 2080ti

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Not quite Ampere but I thought this could be of interest:

videocardz.com

NVIDIA GeForce RTX graphics card to support DirectX 12 Ultimate API - VideoCardz.com

NVIDIA announces GeForce RTX support for DirectX 12 Ultimate. DirectX 12 Ultimate NVIDIA GeForce RTX graphics card will support DirectX 12 Ultimate with ray tracing, variable-rate shading, mesh shader and sampler feedback. Ray tracing is currently only supported by NVIDIA Turing GPUs (Tier 1.1)...

We received a slide from the upcoming NVIDIA announcement regarding yet unconfirmed DirectX 12 iteration.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX graphics card will support DirectX 12 Ultimate with ray tracing, variable-rate shading, mesh shader and sampler feedback. Ray tracing is currently only supported by NVIDIA Turing GPUs (Tier 1.1), while variable-rate shading is also supported by Intel HD Graphics Gen 11 (Tier 1).

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Not quite Ampere but I thought this could be of interest
Eh, kinda. It's just a new D3D12 feature level basically, consisting of everything which is there in Turing and RDNA2.
Technically DX12 doesn't support mesh shaders and sampler feedback right now since this will be added in 2004 update. But these features are here since Turing's launch and are available through VK and NVAPI.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
And it's official:

devblogs.microsoft.com

Announcing DirectX 12 Ultimate - DirectX Developer Blog

It is time for DirectX to evolve once again. From the team that has brought PC and Console gamers the latest in graphics innovation for nearly 25 years, we are beyond pleased to bring gamers DirectX 12 Ultimate, the culmination of the best graphics technology we’ve ever introduced in an...

Powering Next-Generation Gaming Visuals with AMD RDNA 2 and DirectX 12 Ultimate

AMD has long been a strong supporter of next-generation, low-overhead graphics API technologies like Microsoft® DirectX® 12 that help take games to a whole new level. Therefore, we’re pleased to announce that in partnership with Microsoft we will provide full support for DirectX® 12 Ultimate in...

www.nvidia.com

Microsoft Announces DirectX 12 Ultimate: A New Standard for Next-Gen Games, Supported by GeForce RTX

Ray Tracing, Mesh Shading, Sampler Feedback and Variable Rate Shading, features supported since 2018 on GeForce RTX graphics cards, coming to Microsoft’s DirectX 12 Ultimate API, their new standard for next-gen games.

Last edited:

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
What/when is that?

If it's going to be more than a few months, I'll probably just grab a 2070S to hold me over. I need something decent to run HL: Alyx.
Late Q3 or Q4 unless plans change again.

I'm expecting gaming Ampere no later than in Aug/Sep but you know, this stuff is in a constant state of flux due to covid these days.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Are we expecting them to go back to their original release timelines and hold off on the ti for a while?
Release timelines likely aren't affected, only the announcements of some HPC level stuff, like the GV100 successor and such. Actual products on this chip would still come out in Q4 most likely, even if they'd had announced it during GTC as was planned.

Mr_Mondee

Nov 23, 2017
I can't see neither this nor AMD's offering including CPU's being released any time soon. By now, i assume that production has been hit by Covid-19, but even if that isn't the case, the fact that majority of western countries are in early stages of this pandemic would probably put them off.

At this point we don't know how bad it is going to get and for how long, supply chains are already changing to focus mainly on what is necessary, so there would be no point of releasing a product until all this is sorted and markets are back to normality.

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
Release timelines likely aren't affected, only the announcements of some HPC level stuff, like the GV100 successor and such. Actual products on this chip would still come out in Q4 most likely, even if they'd had announced it during GTC as was planned.

Got it. Guess I will keep an eye on things. Stuff could change in a few hours these days. hopefully things are mostly under control by then....