• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To me this suggests MS is creating an exit strategy if they decide to leave the console market and just become a Netflix style service/publisher for other platforms
Why would Microsoft need an exit strategy? They are a bigger and more financially stable company than Sony and Nintendo. Let alone the gaming division is doing well.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I thought it did include PC right now. Like people who use PC exclusively not one account using PC and Xbox.

Are there sales on PC high? I know I've been put off by a windows store but also the sheer size of the games. Gears 4 is the only one I'm interested in but it's like 130GB download.
They count XBL users on W10 as part of the MAU number. They don't count W10 users in general as part of the MAU number.

My point was that only people who use XBL on Switch would be included in the number. Not everybody who owns a Switch.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
That's why I think the Switch version of Game Pass will be heavily curated. A right to veto from Nintendo as to what games are published onto the service is very likely a part of any potential deal; they'd be stupid to not ask for that tbh.
what if buying a game available on the eshop gave you access to the cloud version on gamepass.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Considering Microsoft mentioned Forza when xCloud was first announced, I doubt what they said changes for the Switch. But we'll know more about it next month at GDC
It's not going to change. I'm just accounting for the several games that get Switch ports that will be part of Game Pass like Hellblade and Ori.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
eTVXPdX.jpg

BELIEVE

(Just made this mockup lol)
god damn that d-pad would be fucking amazing

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
To me this suggests MS is creating an exit strategy if they decide to leave the console market and just become a Netflix style service/publisher for other platforms

No. This is just them making as much money as possible. Completely shuttering the console division is basically throwing billions of dollars away.

Feb 10, 2018
A company publishing information on the internet is not a leak.

What makes you think Nintendo would not get a cut?

That would certainly be a solution.
I wonder how it would work for every Xcloud hour play on Switch Nintendo get like 1c?

Maybe they will just agree not to put switch games on the switch Xcloud.
So if u want play doom or hellblade etc you have to buy the switch version.

Feb 8, 2018
And it seems MS won't get anything in return, no games, but probably they get some of the profits from GP on Switch.

It's huge if this is true.

Could this be what Moon Studios was talking about when they said that they had some special news to share soon? Ori will be playable on Switch.

yeah I doubt MS will have the best looking version of nintendo games on their consoles. Maybe MS is experimenting with portable devices so that they an expand gamepass on mobile phones or even their own secondary handheld (like PSvita)

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
So Halo, Forza, GoW, Banjo, Killer Instinct and Cuphead on Nintendo consoles?

Last edited:

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Just to be clear where we're all standing right now: We are now in a thread for a rumor that is actually four unconfirmed rumors deep. Lol.

"Nintendo reviving a cancelled project" rumor > "Nintendo reviving Scalebound" rumor > "Nintendo & Microsoft working on big things together" rumor > "Nintendo & Microsoft teaming up to put GamePass on Switch" rumor (this)

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
To be honest Sony are quite foolish not having PSNOW on mobile already.

But I don't think Nintendo will be to keen of the same 3rd parties being on Xcloud and switch E. G doom, hellblade because if doom is on Xcloud switch owners might play that version(which could look and run better then the switch version) over the switch version and thus loosing Nintendo money.

Nah, there's plenty of people who doesn't have the internet connection to use Gamepass on their Switch, so they will still buy the Switch version of 3rd party games. And not everyone is keen on cloud gaming. I expect the hardcore crowd to join, but most of the Switch userbase May only use it for certain Xbox games that are family friendly

jobbe1978

Jan 18, 2018
Italy
If you think about it this idea is pure genius.

Try walking in MS' shoes. You tried for a lifetime to appeal to japanese market and gamers but you failed (for many reasons).

You tried to sell a console there, it didn't work.
You tried to bring japanese games, somehow it still didn't work.
What can you do?
Which other possibilities can you think of?
Answer: Let's team up with a home console manufacturer who has a historical and consolidated brand: Nintendo!

I think it will be a Win-Win situation :)

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
It would be one less of a reason to buy any Microsoft console, but I believe it is planned on their part.

But am I curious to see how much Nintendo would gain from this? 20 ~ 30 from the Games Pass earnings on the Switch? Because they would not give a user base that's growing for free like that.

superNESjoe

Developer at Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty sure all publishers have to agree and go through some lot checks by Nintendo before getting into this thing if it's true, so it wouldn't be 100% of the library.

If it's just a streaming app, then the app itself is the only thing that needs to pass lotcheck.

Magicgamer

Oct 28, 2017
So are Microsoft basically going multiplatform with their games and becoming a 3rd party dev/publisher?

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
For those people that think that this would be a "threat" to Nintendo third party sales this is a similar argument of Remote Play Vita vs Buying games on the switch.

"Why would I buy a Switch game when I could remote play it on my Vita?" As we have seen from the good sales of indie games and certain third party titles people are still happy to play games natively on a portable. It's a similar situation here, the ones that are happy with streaming would rather stream and would rather have the option.

Gamepass could also have a limited selection of games like first party Microsoft games and other games that have no chance at running well on the Switch (like The Witcher 3).

immortal-joe

Oct 25, 2017
You don't have to kill PlayStation to make money tho. It's possible for both to exist and so really well.

They don't have to kill it to make money, but they will target that all the same, cause it clears the primary competition from the field. Last gen taught MS that Playstation's brand equity is not impenetrable, and customers will jump ship to chase value and word of mouth.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
Oh, really? Neat! I guess I was thinking about Halo 5 on PC through GamePass.

Yeah most likely that. I remember playing Halo 5 off Gamepass for a lil bit.

Just to be clear where we're all standing right now: We are now in a thread for a rumor that is actually four unconfirmed rumors deep. Lol.

"Nintendo reviving a cancelled project" rumor > "Nintendo reviving Scalebound" rumor > "Nintendo & Microsoft working on big things together" rumor > "Nintendo & Microsoft teaming up to put GamePass on Switch" rumor (this)

This thread is not based on a rumor. NateDrake stated this is a report. So if anything we'll hear about this @ GDC where Microsoft will go into details about xCloud.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
If you think about it this idea is pure genius.

Try walking in MS' shoes. You tried for a lifetime to appeal to japanese market and gamers but you failed (for many reasons).

You tried to sell a console there, it didn't work.
You tried to bring japanese games, somehow it still didn't work.
What can you do?
Which other possibilities can you think of?
Answer: Let's team up with a home console manufacturer who has a historical and consolidated brand: Nintendo!

I think it will be a Win-Win situation :)
Microsoft is doing this for the whole world, not to gain presence in Japan. The Japanese market is negligible compared to all the countries Xbox's established in.

Feb 10, 2018
Nah, there's plenty of people who doesn't have the internet connection to use Gamepass on their Switch, so they will still buy the Switch version of 3rd party games. And not everyone is keen on cloud gaming. I expect the hardcore crowd to join, but most of the Switch userbase May only use it for certain Xbox games that are family friendly

Cloud gaming on the switches screen will look and run better then a lot of switch games.
If the prices is right many switch owners will love it.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are we really in a world where Microsoft is going to release N64 games on the Switch before Nintendo does?

Raider34

Banned
May 8, 2018
United States
Read Satya's book hit refresh go to the chapter about office 365 and working with both Apple and android and you will see the direction Microsoft is headed