• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
This whole situation is really strange isn't it? I dunno how else to say it. How did this rumor happen?

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
He's been pretty negative about MS since his departure.

Have to wonder what happened exactly.
He isnt negative really. that poster just likes to pick and choose to fit a narrative, and has been called out a few times in this thread because of it. case in point he just tweeted this out on the 8th

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
Why is this thread still going? 🤔

The CEO says "This is false" and people don't have anything better to do than question what exactly is false and run with whatever information these "insiders" feed them.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I think the chances of Microsoft buying Bungie to make Halo are basically zero. Goes completely against the philosophy that Spencer and Booty have been aiming for with their studio acquisitions, offering creative control and the ability to return to independence if the studio wishes. Plus, it would mean pulling the plug on everything 343 have been doing these past few years in updating the engine, flushing 10s of millions of dollars down the drain. And what would they do with Infinite? Just can it and let a Bungie start from scratch?

This makes no sense.

Which is why the whole story is probably bullshit. And MS and Bungie have never seriously been in acquisition talks.

EDIT:

And the Bungie CEO essentially confirms it as such. Wrap it up folks. Nothing to see here.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
From what I recall hearing of Bungie's leadership in the past, I wouldn't be shocked if there were talks, but no one in the studio was told and that's why they're denying, but it's also probably more than likely this is a whole lot of nothing. Hell, it very well could have sprung from botched "insider info" surrounding the Destiny 2 GamePass deal/etc., which honestly seems pretty likely. i.e. someone knew there was big money talks between Bungie and MS but didn't know what, and that spun into buyout rumors that spread.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I think it's pretty clear that Bungie aren't going to get bought, so I am indeed uncertain why this thread is still going.

But I'm gonna participate while it yet lives :D. Let's just also say that this would not be the first time that a CEO or executive flatly deny an acquisition or major deal.... only to have it happen very soon after. The number of people denying it, though, makes me think that Pete had to go to the team and brief them on this, and probably reassure them that they were staying independent.

We'd been hearing rumors of acquisition talks for quite some time (Jez was a big pusher of it). But even he recently (before this blew up) said that he wasn't going to share all the details, but he's sure that MS aren't going to be buying Bungie. MAYBE someone else, but not MS.

I mean. It's all very interesting and crazy. But, it's all just a bit of silly fun, I guess. We'll see what happens lol

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Jeff Grubb is a content provider for console warriors like Colteastwood. If you really think such secret deals are known in the public by folks like Grubb lmao.

Again stoo giving these people clout

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Jeff Grubb is a content provider for console warriors like Colteastwood. If you really think such secret deals are known in the public by folks like Grubb lmao.

Again stoo giving these people clout

But NateDrake corroborated the report and it seems like he was correct (look at the necro a few posts above). Bungie is an independent subsidiary and the price isn't far off considering the recent mass inflation.

Also, Jez knew about Zenimax (although I think only 1-2 days in advance, but still). Had no idea about ActiBlizz, though, FWIW.