• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
lol what the hell are you all talking about?

VIII, X and XII are not anime especially in design. I think that term has lost all meaning when people just throw it on every single JRPG.

VII, IX and maybe XIII you could argue are anime. XV is not anime in design or setting but the writing and behaviour is.
When I think "anime", it has less to do with the actual art and more to do with how characters act. If a male character fist bumps and says "Yeah, that's because I'M the HERO!", that shit's "anime". If a female character starts squeeking and cooing or starts to make cutesy gestures and dance moves, that shit's "anime". If a stoic character basically makes the "Pshaw"/"I'm too cool for school" head swish then walks away like they are too good for their idiot party members, that shit's "anime". If a female character sticks out her little tongue (not normal sized tongue, but tiny, abnormally little tongue) when she's annoyed with someone, that shit's "anime".

Oct 27, 2017
"Not anime" is a great tease, because when we see it, we'll know what she meant, but for the time being, it could mean literally anything, lol.

My biggest fear is how many years away are we going to be if this is announced...
Waiting for FFXV post-announcement was painful.
Don't expect to play it any sooner than Spring 2022. That would put it in a fairly standard development time (especially if they're still using UE4). Anything sooner runs the risk of being light on content/rushed at launch.

So hope for the reveal, and then just forget about it for a solid year, until they're ready to roll out the launch promotional material.

They did? I thought they had started working on this after Heavensward was released in 2015.
Pre-production since 2016, full production since last year. Meaning they had lots of time to think through story, concept, gameplay design. Thank god.

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
I get it that some of y'all have Nomura fatigure but put some respect on his name, sheesh. Honestly, what I want the most is a Black woman lead protagonist. It's time. Way over due for this shit.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
They did? I thought they had started working on this after Heavensward was released in 2015.
full development is different if I am not mistaken, someone correct me?

There is a difference between getting the game right with the creative team and having a full staff of several hundred people to realize that vision when everything is set in stone

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
When I think "anime", it has less to do with the actual art and more to do with how characters act. If a male character fist bumps and says "Yeah, that's because I'M the HERO!", that shit's "anime". If a female character starts squeeking and cooing or starts to make cutesy gestures and dance moves, that shit's "anime". If a stoic character basically makes the "Pshaw"/"I'm too cool for school" head swish then walks away like they are too good for their idiot party members, that shit's "anime". If a female character sticks out her little tongue (not normal sized tongue, but tiny, abnormally little tongue) when she's annoyed with someone, that shit's "anime".
Even with your examples(which I also said you could argue writing and behaviour for XV) that still doesn't apply to VIII, X and XII.

The most "anime" thing these three would even have is a character sticking their tongue out which happens like...two times lol

Though I guess FFX does have some bobblehead syndrome when they move in FMVs.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Even with your examples(which I also said you could argue writing and behaviour for XV) that still doesn't apply to VIII, X and XII.

The most "anime" thing these three would even have is a character sticking their tongue out which happens like...two times lol

Though I guess FFX does have some bobblehead syndrome when they move in FMVs.

How are FFVIII,X and XII not anime when they all have the semi realistic anime look that all 3d FFs have

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I get it that some of y'all have Nomura fatigure but put some respect on his name, sheesh. Honestly, what I want the most is a Black woman lead protagonist. It's time. Way over due for this shit.

I absolutely respect the man, he managed to release KH 3 and despite being a mediocre game it sold millions.

He knows how to sell his ideas that's for sure.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
lol what the hell are you all talking about?

VIII, X and XII are not anime especially in design. I think that term has lost all meaning when people just throw it on every single JRPG.

VII, IX and maybe XIII you could argue are anime. XV is not anime in design or setting but the writing and behaviour is.
What? Just look at the characters' hair styles. Most of them are anime...

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Nomura was a good artist in the 90's then he went downhill fast

Yoshida has just been getting better and better

Oct 25, 2017
I would like SE to move in the direction of more realistic faces next gen. Seeing RE's Claire, Leon, and Jill reimagined as actual people was fantastic. Then FFVIIR came out and we got to see more PS1 characters, but as the same dolls we've had for a long time now. I didn't mind FFVIIR's look but it felt less bold and less modern than what Capcom were doing.

If that's what is meant by non-anime then I'd be happy.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would like SE to move in the direction of more realistic faces next gen. Seeing RE's Claire, Leon, and Jill reimagined as actual people was fantastic. Then FFVIIR came out and we got to see more PS1 characters, but as the same dolls we've had for a long time now. I didn't mind FFVIIR's look but it felt less bold and less modern than what Capcom were doing.

Hopefully it's like Kingsglaive but in real time 3D

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)

Ehhh...... mixed feelings on that

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

fuck realism

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Just got an update from Square about limited time wallpapers for FFXIV so maybe smoke that it's really just a port announcement. Maybe it's both?

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017

You mean like Kingsglaive.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
How are FFVIII,X and XII not anime when they all have the semi realistic anime look that all 3d FFs have
VIII and X do not have semi realistic anime look. Yes there is characters like Seymour with ridiculous hair but the actual main cast of X is japanese in appearance and its meant to look realistic.

Just because the current FF direction makes things more mixed does not mean the games before did.

What? Just look at the characters' hair styles. Most of them are anime...
Ah yes these insane hairstyles of...short slicked back hair, ponytails and spiked hair. The anime is just screaming out at me.

Oct 25, 2017
VIII and X do not have semi realistic anime look. Yes there is characters like Seymour with ridiculous hair but the actual main cast of X is japanese in appearance and its meant to look realistic.

Just because the current FF direction makes things more mixed does not mean the games before did.

Ah yes these insane hairstyles of...short slicked back hair, ponytails and spiked hair. The anime is just screaming out at me.
Aren't the cast of X supposed to be southasian and middleastern?

Jun 11, 2019

I like what Capcom's put out with their RE engine but the way alot of FF characters look would be weird in a photo-realistic artstyle.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Aren't the cast of X supposed to be southasian and middleastern?
It's hard to actually pinpoint what ethnicity the cast is due to them white washing certain characters like Tidus but I would say Wakka and Tidus look japanese in CGI.

I do get the feeling SE is trying to make Tidus white now and while you could say he looks white in his artwork and gameplay, the cgi version is obviously asian.

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017

Just look at these totally normal, everyday hairstyles. I see people like that in business meetings on a daily basis.

1567529987_576_Ruckblick-Final-Fantasy-VIII-Remastered.jpg

2083943196-finalfantasy-finalfantasy8-finalfantasy8remastered-zelldincht-ff-ff8-ffviii-finalfantasyviii-12tzHhIDN0ec.jpg

Don't mind the tribal tattoo in his face.

Videogames have normalized craty hairstyles. Look at people cosplaying those characters and how crazy their hairstyles look...

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Realistic RE like or Kingsglaive are some nightmare scenarios visually

Can it be time already..

Man it would be so disappointing seeing SE abandon its style for FF after how good characters looked especially in FF7R. Going from that Aerith to anything less anime be it arstyle or mannerism would be sad

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Just look at these totally normal, everyday hairstyles. I see people like that in business meetings on a daily basis.

1567529987_576_Ruckblick-Final-Fantasy-VIII-Remastered.jpg

2083943196-finalfantasy-finalfantasy8-finalfantasy8remastered-zelldincht-ff-ff8-ffviii-finalfantasyviii-12tzHhIDN0ec.jpg

Don't mind the tribal tattoo in his face.
Ahh great examples using remastered game character models that are clearly different from the artwork/cgi LMAO

both these hairstyles exist in real life and even funnier you bring up the tattoo which a certain famous boxer is notorious for. You have no clue what you're arguing about and it shows. The fact these were your examples...

Edit:
OMG LOOK AT THIS ANIME
latest
latest
latest
latest

I literally can't tell the difference between this and anime hairstyles!

Last edited:

MasterOfNone

Oct 27, 2017
Full production is rarely longer than 1.5 years on a AAA, full production is usually when you know all of the parts of the game and just need to create it with full staff capacity, the whole game is already mapped out, the vertical slice has been greenlit now you just need to create the rest of the game. That being said judging from a few blunders at Square-Enix I'm not sure their project management is up to date with current game dev pipelines

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
It's not that silly. FF1 literally has ONE location that's futuristic and yet people think that disqualifies the game from being classified as medieval even though 99% of the game IS medieval.

Imo the interesting part of FFI setting is that you have the first perimeter of the game in a completely Tolkien-esque world with elven/dwarven towns but past the earth orb/crystal, it's not what it seems and there's hints of it being a post apocalyptic world instead (Which is hard to define because it's a nes rpg, but yeah).

If we ignore that, FFI is pretty much a generic D&D adventure with enemies directly riped off from the monster book. And there's not a worse case scenario than FFXVI being something like that imo.

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
Ahh great examples using remastered game character models that are clearly different from the artwork/cgi LMAO

both these hairstyles exist in real life and even funnier you bring up the tattoo which a certain famous boxer is notorious for.
See my edit.
Trying to argue that Squall doesn't look like that in 99% of the media he's in is more than a little disingenuous.

Yes, those hairstyles do exist in real life. That doesn't mean they're not pretty anime.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I think Kingsglaive Luna looks like she's ill

I really don't like her eyes
I also don't like Kingsglaive Luna but to be fair...she is actually ill lol

See my edit.
Trying to argue that Squall doesn't look like that in 99% of the media he's in is more than a little disingenuous.

Yes, those hairstyles do exist in real life. That doesn't mean they're not pretty anime.
And see mine. None of those hairstyles are anime. Just because certain styles got popularized later on with anime does not mean everything before it now is classified that way. You had to reach by pulling two remastered models where they are using a different art direction compared to the original to try and make an anime point.

Zell especially has just his bangs spiked up which is extremely common. Being slightly more exaggerated for a videogame doesn't mean the overall look isn't realistic. Now look at my examples and tell me how these are anime? here is even more:
latest
cd8ed756be920f1df0fddbd62cd70311.jpg
latest
d8d050bf1166aa25582e30671c08a62f.gif

and what does it matter how Squall is designed in other media? Those appearances are almost always in games that are completely opposite of VIII in style and design.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.