• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
All aboard!

gHQb7s5.gif

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah that program is borderline magical. I think the style in that particular shot is a little "melted" looking but it really can do some seriously clean, mindblowing stuff. If Square worked with something like that as a base then did some handcrafting on top, it would be unreal. Not holding my breath, of course, but it's within the realm of possibility.

Always figured the best use for it commercially would be to run your textures/backgrounds though it and then have you in house artists cleanup the small details.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And they still won't fix FF IX's music bug. Not gonna buy this until they own up to their bullshit.

Designer_Fake

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If this turns out to be true (which is more than likely at this point), it will make my E3. VIII is the first Final Fantasy game I've ever played, and my second favorite after X. I love this game so much.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
damn....lol well I'll give it a shot

Imagine FF7 but with a cohesive presentation and art direction that seems like a solid, consistent vision from beginning to end. I love FF7 too, but it's presentationally a disjointed mess. There's a number of reasons I've always preferred FF8 between the two (even back in 1999), and that's just one of them.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love the idea of re-releasing VIII... But at the end of the day these PS1 -> PC -> modern gen ports all kinda suck to me.

You have the music looping bugs in various states of fixed/not fixed...

But even putting aside that, I just hate how the upscaled backgrounds/upresed polygons match up, or rather don't.

I think these games look good in 240p or something close to it, and without HD remasters of the backgrounds that will continue to be the case. Low res pre-rendered backgrounds match up with low res polygons.

Happy for all of you who don't have some kind of PS1-3 or PSP/Vita to play the original PS1 or PSN download on... but honestly I would just play the original version whenever I could.

TheRedLag00n

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They only fixed some typos in the FF 7 remaster. Unfortunately, there will be probably no new translation. Still curious how it will turn out. Maybe they fixed some bugs.
Maybe it was only different in the german version? I could swear the script was different than the PSX version, but I'm not 100% sure on this. Well, one can still have hope - even though it is SE^^

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remaster? Hmm so if FFVII gets a remake and FFVIII gets a remaster this will surely upset people, myself included lol

Though if this is the case at least we're getting an updated version of FFVIII which is something at least.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Maybe it was only different in the german version? I could swear the script was different than the PSX version, but I'm not 100% sure on this. Well, one can still have hope - even though it is SE^^

They fixed the famous this guy are sick line, not sure if they fixed the garbled text with the Cover materia in German. Yeah well lets see what their presentation brings.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just to be clear: on Era in 2019 we have to mark that a certain someone dies but not that FFVIII is potentially getting a remaster?

I get that it's getting spun as a corporatism thing, but I feel like this would have legit just been exciting to hear properly, as a fan of VIII.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of people are reading that.

Unless people are just REALLY excited for the press R1 to speed the game up function.

I've got FF7 and FF9 on my PS4 so I'm just wanting Square to add FF8 to that.

If they want to do an actual remake as my first post said it can wait until FF7 is done.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I've got FF7 and FF9 on my PS4 so I'm just wanting Square to add FF8 to that.

If they want to do an actual remake as my first post said it can wait until FF7 is done.
Can wait until 9 is done first. Then wait some more until the idea is forgotten. Then again a VR Balamb Garden would probably make me sever my connection with reality to live there 24/7...

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Remaster is a such a glorified name for what is basically a port. We shouldn't expect remastered anything, unless putting a 240p background through a nearest neighbour upscale to HD is a remastering.

I think the word is being used to contrast with the word "remake". But that's like stamping out one lofty expectation that will not come true with another expectation that will not come true.

Omeganex9999

Oct 25, 2017
London
Curious to see how they'll remaster VIII. Doing it with X and XII was relatively easy since some PS2 assets still look good today.

I guess they'll upscale the 2D images in the background and... remake all the 3D models? Yeah, not going to happen.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Remaster is a such a glorified name for what is basically a port. We shouldn't expect remastered anything, unless putting a 240p background through a nearest neighbour upscale to HD is a remastering.

I think the word is being used to contrast with the word "remake". But that's like stamping out one lofty expectation that will not come true with another expectation that will not come true.
I'd say if anything, IX is the only PS1 FF port that kinda justifies being called a remaster.

VII is just a straight up PC port though, yeah.

Nov 2, 2017
I played ff8 on pc earlier this year as I gave up on waiting for a console port as I believe the "they lost the source code" story.

I would gladly buy this again on switch since my computer died not long ago

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Curious to see how they'll remaster VIII. Doing it with X and XII was relatively easy since some PS2 assets still look good today.

I guess they'll upscale the 2D images in the background and... remake all the 3D models? Yeah, not going to happen.
It's going to look like their ports of VII and IX. You shouldn't be dreaming of anything like X and XII imo.

It's like playing the game on a PS1 emulator but the polygons are re-rendered in a higher resolution (so the same old primitive polygons but now with sharper edges...) Which incidentally now won't match with the low res backgrounds very well no matter how much "Vaseline filter" they put on it.

Anything else, I'll be impressed, but there's really no reason to expect anything other than the VII or IX treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.