• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 10, 2019
Yeah I thought that I got Remnant free from Epic before. Hoping for the prequel.

Chronos is paced a lot differently than Remnant, it's more along the lines of something like Ashen, but it has much easier combat and flow than your average soulslike - not bad, just not that taxing. It's got some neat puzzle designs and there's a good amount in regards to world details to chew on too, if you're into Remnant's lore.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
0S4Kliy.png

weird lantern clue for tomorrow's game

Daggoth

Oct 25, 2017
My initial thought was Amnesia: The Dark Descent, but Rebirth was suggested in the other thread and that makes much more sense. The cross on the lantern looks a lot like the image above though ...

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017

it does look like the evil within lantern. aren't they owned by xbox now? they'll give away games on epic? idk

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
Considering the games have been games already available on the store, It's probably an Amnesia title (Dark Descent or Rebirth)

Evil Within and Call of Cthulu are not titles on the storefront.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
That screenshot is 100% from TEW.

As for what the tease is about, no idea.

Never mind, misread the post, haha.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of like destiny and Demon Souls had a baby i guess. It leans more on the Destiny side though
As something who's played them both extensively. I don't get what's so Destiny like in the game.

It's a Souls like with the exact same structure and progression system, in a semi randomly generated map.

The shooting and movement were actually quite unique and the only other game that compares to it in shooting and movement is Outriders. But that came out much later and it's only the shooting where they are similar, the rest is so different inntermsmif game design and structure as Outriders shares that with something like Borderlands.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
As something who's played them both extensively. I don't get what's so Destiny like in the game.

It's a Souls like with the exact same structure and progression system, in a semi randomly generated map.

The shooting and movement were actually quite unique and the only other game that compares to it in shooting and movement is Outriders. But that came out much later and it's only the shooting where they are similar, the rest is so different inntermsmif game design and structure as Outriders shares that with something like Borderlands.

I mainly make the association because of how weapons and equipment have gear scores and there's a larger focus on unique loot than in a Souls game (maybe outside of something like Nioh) but sure combat and item usage is very souls like in timing rolls and min/maxing health flasks, but the gun play and loot IMO link it more closely to destiny with some souls like game mechanics.

I don't think it's a wrong assessment of the game to pair the two.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Remnant is a Souls-like, right?
It has some Soulsy stuff going on, but it's a third person shooter, the levels are procedurally generated (and you only get half of them per playthrough, to encourage NG+ runs), and the enemy placements change every time you die so you can't learn the level like you can in a normal Soulslike. Also the boss fights have a lot more adds than a "real" Souls game.

I remember those were what struck me as the biggest deviations from the normal Souls formula. It's fun for what it is, but it does make the game feel a lot more chaotic than I was expecting from the more methodical Soulslike experience I'm used to.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
Remnant is a tighter and better game than Outriders IMO. It's much less of Destiny and more Gears of War souls. Great boss fights also.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Another possibility is Mundaun. The lantern isn't like that in game, but you do carry a lantern around a lot I think (and a guy holding a lantern is part of the cover art). Came out at the beginning of this year, and hasn't been given away yet.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I knew they would repeat some games they did offer before.
Yeah, I was like dang it, that's disappointing, but then I thought oh well it's free games, who cares. Also people who missed out on it before can get it now, so that's cool. They did this last year too so it's expected.

Also I like the surprise aspect, last year got spoiled by the list being leaked, but this time they seem to be keeping it under wrap (pun intended).

Jul 26, 2018
I remember getting the Remnant for free. Played the entire campaign with my friends and in the end, we were like........

"so... what's the story about?". Lmao

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
You mean Remnant: From The Ashes? It's been free before but that was last August and they've done repeats during the holiday marathons before.

The prequel (Chronos: Before The Ashes) might be a possibility as well.

I had no idea Chronos was set in the same universe as Remnant. That's awesome. I'll have to add it to my wishlist. I played Remnant with 2 friends and we had an awesome time.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I apparently already have Remnant in my library, and I have no idea what it's about. Didn't manage to nab Shenmue 3, the site wasn't working for me when I tried to get it. Eh, not sure I'd have played it, I've never played the first two.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Outward's another possibility, although the lantern style doesn't seem to match up.

On a side note the entire mobile site is still in German for me. It never switched back.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
It has some Soulsy stuff going on, but it's a third person shooter, the levels are procedurally generated (and you only get half of them per playthrough, to encourage NG+ runs), and the enemy placements change every time you die so you can't learn the level like you can in a normal Soulslike. Also the boss fights have a lot more adds than a "real" Souls game.

I remember those were what struck me as the biggest deviations from the normal Souls formula. It's fun for what it is, but it does make the game feel a lot more chaotic than I was expecting from the more methodical Soulslike experience I'm used to.

You better like boss fights with constant minion adds because my God, does Remnant use those as a crutch.

I like it because it's the rare shootbang Souls-ish game, but damn I just want to 1v1 a boss sometimes.

I picked it up because it's free but I gotta say, none of this sounds appealing lol