• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes? I mean, if you want to buy the streaming version with data caps, knowing it's going to be a much worse experience for you, I don't think you really have the right to complain about it being a much worse experience for you when you do buy it. You wouldn't go into a McDonalds and ask for a double cheeseburger because it's cheaper than buying 2 regular burgers, then complain there's cheese on it..

If you're intentionally going out your way to buy an inferior product to you, that's on you, not MS.

You are underestimating the ignorance of the public at large. I've seen people spend loads of money on expensive TVs and sound systems, and then hook up all of their connections with composite cables. Is it going to sink the product? Of course not, but to think it doesn't matter seems silly.

I don't really see why this is up to MS. What restrictions ISP's put on their data usage isn't really of their business and I don't see them paying out all that money just to solve essentially an unrelated issue. Data caps go way beyond gaming. The guy I originally quoted has 1TB, that's more than enough tbh. I have unlimited and I don't think I've ever used close to 1TB in a single month. But regardless of that, as I said any restrictions ISP's put on their data isn't any of MS business really.

Yeah I don't think we're going to come to any sort of understanding. Frankly, the fact that you can't even see that MS WOULD get involved because it'd help their bottom line sort of troubles me. We have Netflix as a model as the number one streaming company in the world and they've gotten involved.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
The cloud version sounds intriguing. It basically eliminates long , slow installs and patches....also need for larger HDDs or faulty disc drives. Amazing idea. Can't wait to see what MS brings to the table next gen.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
So it's a console specifically for PS Now type of streaming? PS Now isn't great. Especially if you have a shit connection. With data caps and speed being a issue for most, I don't really see this being something huge.

Krooner

Oct 27, 2017
The same can be said for psnow.
The potiential for userbase and subscriptions is somthing unlike the videogame market has ever seen.
Sony already have a streaming service.
The business whales at sony will no way want to be left behind in this potiential industry expander.
I wouldent be surprised if sony do a cheaper psnow box too. They are not going to limit psnow to expensive platforms like the ps5 and PC.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not arguing that game streaming is the way the industry is going, Only that i think MS launching it alongside the traditional machine is a mistake. I think it'd fit the Slim/Mid-gen refresh perfectly, but I don't think we'll be where we need to be (infrastructure-wise) in their key markets by 2020.

Nov 12, 2017
So it's a console specifically for PS Now type of streaming? PS Now isn't great. Especially if you have a shit connection. With data caps and speed being a issue for most, I don't really see this being something huge.
As Op ...Are two console one is a steaming device that will.utilize a different tech of psnow who should improve the lag of the current streaming services as psnow.....if you have prob with datacaps there will be a normal console don't worry

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. The Netflix of gaming. Now they just need to make sure they deliver on the content.

If they figure out the whole streaming thing, I definitely won't mind throwing $99 towards a box like that. The big road block again though would be my own gaming PC if it can do all the same shit anyways.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
"Decent enough" kind of isn't a ringing endorsement. But I find psnow to work pretty well overall.

Nov 12, 2017
Don't misunderstand, I'm not arguing that game streaming is the way the industry is going, Only that i think MS launching it alongside the traditional machine is a mistake. I think it'd fit the Slim/Mid-gen refresh perfectly, but I don't think we'll be where we need to be (infrastructure-wise) in their key markets by 2020.
What you mean with "infrastructure-wise"?

Chris.

Oct 27, 2017
You are underestimating the ignorance of the public at large. I've seen people spend loads of money on expensive TVs and sound systems, and then hook up all of their connections with composite cables. Is it going to sink the product? Of course not, but to think it doesn't matter seems silly.
and how many of them complain about the quality of the picture? not many I'd imagine. It doesn't matter what they do, they're not complaining about choices they made on their own accord which is the whole point. And if any of them are complaining then no, they don't have a right to complain either.

Yeah I don't think we're going to come to any sort of understanding. Frankly, the fact that you can't even see that MS WOULD get involved because it'd help their bottom line sort of troubles me. We have Netflix as a model as the number one streaming company in the world and they've gotten involved.
Netflix has paid ISP's for priority traffic and to help with reducing data caps? Source on that?

I've just googled it and apparently they have paid for traffic. Well to be fair, Netflix's entire business model revolves around streaming. They don't have any other alternative like MS is offering. But that just makes Netfix hypocrites as they're effectively supporting and embracing net neutrality despite all the PR about them being against it.

Knowing that just makes my opinion about Netflix even worse tbh.

Jul 23, 2018
Streaming is not appealing to me, but smart way of doing it. Launch a traditional console along with it, covers both types of consumers.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one that sees people buying these as basically streaming service machines and not just for gaming? If it's at a $100 price point that thing is super attractive to pretty much everyone, not just gamers.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I just find it odd that people are excited at the idea.

People are buying the X as its the best place to play 3rd party.

Whatever way you look at this is not going to be a great experience in comparison to their regular console.

I bet we hear the word "serviceable" a lot around launch.

We see big debates blowing up over a few frames or resolution. This seems like a weird thing for Era to be hyped for.
I think some people are excited by the idea because, as a low cost option, it has the potential to expand the reach of videogaming to a wider audience, not necessarily because that would be their preferred option to play games.

That said, as a remote-play style hybrid, allowing me to play my Xbox games on any device when away from home, even if in lesser quality and with higher lag, that would be convenient. And the obvious advantages over remote play is that it doesn't matter if my wife decides to play Crash Bandicoot on the Xbox when I'm playing games away, and I'm not depending on my home connection as a server.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's based off this.
That does nothing for latency (potentially it could even worsen it). More importantly it's intrusive - 99% of games out there are not deterministic.

Basically do game logic, physics and animation processing - most cpu tasks - client side, so that you 'know' with local latency the correct position of objects due to your input
This would require painful adaptations to every codebase running on the service, and impose a ton of limitations since distinction between what constitutes game-simulation task is no longer connected to the execution unit (ie. "CPU tasks" are really not just CPU bound anymore).
While some intrusive solutions could certainly get good results - I just don't see that as a realistic starting point for any streaming service - once it's established with 100s of millions subscribers - sure, you'll be able to force people to write software "for it" - but not if it's still trying to prove there is a market for it.

borges

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Argentina
Everything can and is reduced to one thing: latency. IF they are able to provide a world class solution to that, its gonna be a gamechanger.
The fact that MS has the possibility to deploy a multidatacenter solution puts them on a huge advantage position vs Sony, and MS long experienced and robust gaming business puts them far ahead of other future competitors (google,amazon).
If MS play its cards smart, they could change everything next generation.

Ste

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
England
I have 200Mbps so it should be enough to stream a game as its going along no problem. I assume it will be like this where it uses save states to determine what part to upload onto the hard drive as it's going along.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine the premium console will be for folks who want the highest graphic fidelity possible while the streaming box is for those who don't value graphic performance quite as high.

Having more options is a good thing and glad to see MS put their weight behind game streaming alongside Nvidia and Sony.

borges

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Argentina
I knew it would be a streaming box and console. $99.
Watch how the XBO will be able to do the streaming as well.
$99 - Xbox Scarlett Cloud
$199 - Xbox One S
$299 - Xbox One X
$399 - Xbox Scarlett Console

GamePass will be the sub in order to stream.
Multiplayer will be free.

Yes to almost all of this. Probably S will be 150 max though, and i can see MS just stop development of S and X after one or two years after scarlet got released.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
I don't see the problem of having a cloud box as an option. I bet Sony is going to something very similar as well. Of course, it won't be for everyone since not everyone has access to fast internet or is going to be close to a server but that's what the traditional box is for.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just don't think the vast majority of household internet connections are even close to ready for this but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
How on earth will that work..? I'm on a 70mbps line with 40ms latency as reported by Rocket League. Even if aspects of collision detection are dealt with surely the raw image delay is kind of what the problem is here..

I just don't see how this will work. Maybe something that's like half as powerful and can render the nearby vicinity while streaming handles more distant object.. I dunno.

I'm intrigued for sure mind.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty hard to imagine for Sony who identified streaming games as a business years ago won't have a competing product for the next gen. I expect Sony, EA and Google to have products similar on their own.

Oct 28, 2017
Microsofts push for Freesync, VRR and 120hz is probably paving the way for their streaming platform. It allows for much lower latency on tv's and gets the manufactures to start implementing this stuff (ie: Samsung.) Combine with Phil saying at E3 that framerate is the next big thing after 4k. Internet will always induce some sort of latency, but im confident that once we get ping times down into the single digits as the norm, that streaming will be incredibly viable. Bandwidth is getting pretty high here in the states as time goes on, but pings have remained the same. Though the nearest Microsoft Azure servers to me pull a 8ms ping, so maybe their cloud computing setup is pretty fast all ready.

Jessmo24

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So will brick and mortar stores be in with this?
Will GS push this box knowing that used game sales will suffer? They can sell DL codes but still...

Feb 10, 2018

I dont think weaknesses of game streaming will be associated with the overall image of said game company.
The streaming service will be analysed as soon as its out (like how df have done with various streaming services).Do game crashes and lag in online games today negitivly effect the platform holders? No they dont.
Customers will know what streaming is and will decide if its somthing they want.Unless the expirence is not what it is advertised to be customers will be happy with it.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
So will brick and mortar stores be in with this?
Will GS push this box knowing that used game sales will suffer? They can sell DL codes but still...
If the only console being sold was the Streaming Box, then I'd suspect retailers would push back hard. Since there will be two SKUs, they can still push physical media, as well as DL codes and subscription cards.

NimbusCub

Oct 28, 2017
Phoenix
Cloud computing - which in most instances is not latency sensitive - still runs through ISP infrastructure, which in America is garbage-tier.

True, but your point was to how MS would deal with latency problems. I'm simply stating they have more servers that are geographically close than likely any other business looking to provide a streaming solution like this.

Also, they're looking to circumvent issues with latency sensitive data by computing that locally.

Ultimately we won't know how effective their solution is or not until the product is demoed, but it's certainly exciting.

Krooner

Oct 27, 2017
I dont think weaknesses of game streaming will be associated with the overall image of said game company.
The streaming service will be analysed as soon as its out (like how df have done with various streaming services).Do game crashes and lag in online games today negitivly effect the platform holders? No they dont.
Customers will know what streaming is and will decide if its somthing they want.Unless the expirence is not what it is advertised to be customers will be happy with it.

Maybe, but two systems, vastly different prices with consumers being ruled out of the cheaper option due to circumstances that are ultimately beyond their control sounds a lot like the famous; "fortunately we have a product for users who aren't able to get connectivity, it's called Xbox 360"...

Don't have the right internet? Well pony up $300 more. I can see that not sitting right with a lot of consumers.

Nov 12, 2017
Maybe, but two systems, vastly different prices with consumers being ruled out of the cheaper option due to circumstances that are ultimately beyond their control sounds a lot like the famous; "fortunately we have a product for users who aren't able to get connectivity, it's called Xbox 360"...

Don't have the right internet? Well pony up $300 more. I can see that not sitting right with a lot of consumers.
All of this today that 200 more instead will be good or what? Because I'm not getting it

NimbusCub

Oct 28, 2017
Phoenix
I'm confused that there's so many people in this thread who think Microsoft will put a product to market like this without basic considerations like the current state of ISPs, bandwidth caps, and potential latency issues.

I think people are letting their feelings about MS get in the way here... Stop.

Feb 10, 2018

I dont see how having just one local sku would solve this.
At least have a cheaper streaming box would give consumers where this is a good option for them an opportunity to have one.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
So the whole console is PS Now?

It's like a nightmare come to life. But if there's a physical box you can buy if you choose, that's fine. God forbid that option ever goes away. :\