• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I think people are expecting it to be better than PSNOW because the local hardware on the scarlet cloud will be doing something, while at the same time not being as good as a traditional console.

Is the cloud scarlet going to scale down resolution according to your internet speed, like going from 4k to 1800p to 1440p to 1080p to 720p?
That's about the right expectation, and yes to your question.

I don't think most people into gaming enough to be on ResetEra in the first place will want the streaming box as their main console, but for another room in the home, or on the road, or for more casual players, or if money is tight, it'll be a better streaming experience than we are accustomed to.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
They've "figured out" streaming latency?
I-dont-believe-you.gif

I'd love for MS to prove me wrong. But I just can't see this tech working anywhere decently with America's shit internet speeds.

This. And for the record, I'm not American. I wonder how their streaming sample pool looks like. But I'm all for more streaming stuff if it works 'good enough'. I can imagine that low-latency gamers will opt for the local box, but I figure that's a relative small part of the market.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
This will have hiccups for next gen, but a lot of people will still take the plunge at $100-$150.

The following generation is the one where you will start to see physical hardware beginning to become the minority option (phased out in some cases).

I think Microsoft and one other company (Google? Apple? Netflix?) will become the defacto streaming/gaming service competing against each other, Sony will get pushed out by the big boys. No idea what Nintendo will do.

If anything nintendo will keep doing hybrid console/portable and maybe become a third party, mabe sony will adapt PSNOW to the standard of MS services.

As for other companies? Netflix just can't enter this market, google I would expect they will and maybe amazon, not sure about apple though.

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
Good luck I guess. I'm still not feeling bull-ish on 100% online streaming services,especially for games. My steam link still has lag even on gigabit lan.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Sounds cool, but until internet infrastructure improves significantly I'll stick to the non-cloud version. I currently have pretty good internet but who knows if I will if I end up moving.

CoLD FiRE

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I don't know if this has been posted before. Currently MS covers most of the world regions with Azure. The only Regions that don't currently have any available servers are Africa and the Arabian Peninsula.

bNYF2pJ.png

Oct 25, 2017
This will have hiccups for next gen, but a lot of people will still take the plunge at $100-$150.

The following generation is the one where you will start to see physical hardware beginning to become the minority option (phased out in some cases).
Still way too soon. Streaming games at next-gen+ fidelity requires way too many resources (even for someone like MS) to be able to support the majority of the console userbase at the same time without major drawbacks, like long wait times for play sessions. Each unique play session will be taking up the resources the equivalent of a console on the server side.

Companies (including MS) have issues keeping their bare-bones online services running smoothly at peak traffic periods like holidays as it is, and this requires way more resources than that, I can say this with 100% confidence that these streaming services that are aimed at providing (at the time) current-gen console fidelity experiences will not be the majority for a really long time (and that means multiple gens).

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
What if this streaming box is the final HW revision of XB1? Native XB1, 360 and OG games and streamed Xbox 2 games. A true Xbox 1.5.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
That's about the right expectation, and yes to your question.

I don't think most people into gaming enough to be on ResetEra in the first place will want the streaming box as their main console, but for another room in the home, or on the road, or for more casual players, or if money is tight, it'll be a better streaming experience than we are accustomed to.
Good to hear and it's true, personally I'm more interested in the traditional console and I guess most people here are too, but I think MS are targeting the market that isn't usually targeted by consoles, part of the 1 billion people that game that are not gaming on consoles and/or pc.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Well this is peaking my interest a bit. Not sure what this all means yet, but definitely going to look more into the rumor mill here since this definitely sounds like they want to take their streaming service to the next step. Can't wait to see what they have cooking.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not super knowledgeable when it comes to streaming, but is there anything other than the desire to sell us more stuff stopping them from streaming Xbox Scarlet games to Xbox One consoles?

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Smart move from MS.

If they add single game purchases that you can keep forever and Game Pass support, this could be selling a lot, and justify a potentially pricier and more powerful home console for the hardcore.

Really curious about Sony's soultions now.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I think Microsoft and one other company (Google? Apple? Netflix?) will become the defacto streaming/gaming service competing against each other, Sony will get pushed out by the big boys. No idea what Nintendo will do.

We are certainly hearing a lot of rumble that companies like Google and Apple wants in on the gaming space in a big way, so it will be interesting what all of this means for companies like Sony and Nintendo over the next 10-15 years. Video game streaming will be a big thing and Microsoft is absolutely right to make a big push for it now since they have the brand, the publisher relationships, the development teams and the Azure infrastructure, they are by far the best candidate to pull this off and i think they might do so.

If Microsoft succeeds i could see either Sony or Nintendo partner with a big tech company to deliver a similar platform, Google, Amazon and Apple all lack the brand recognition, development resources and experience in the gaming world that those two companies have, it might be worth it to them to sell out to stay competitive and earn more money in the process.

Gaming will change in the years to come as the platforms becomes services and it's not neccesarily a bad thing like everyone here seems to believe, especially not if it means that it empowers more creative people to deliver the games we love and have them be financially viable because they can reach more people.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We are certainly hearing a lot of rumble that companies like Google and Apple wants in on the gaming space in a big way, so it will be interesting what all of this means for companies like Sony and Nintendo over the next 10-15 years. Video game streaming will be a big thing and Microsoft is absolutely right to make a big push for it now since they have the brand, the publisher relationships, the development teams and the Azure infrastructure, they are by far the best candidate to pull this off and i think they might do so.

If Microsoft succeeds i could see either Sony or Nintendo partner with a big tech company to deliver a similar platform, Google, Amazon and Apple all lack the brand recognition, development resources and experience in the gaming world that those two companies have, it might be worth it to them to sell out to stay competitive and earn more money in the process.

Gaming will change in the years to come as the platforms becomes services and it's not neccesarily a bad thing like everyone here seems to believe, especially not if it means that it empowers more creative people to deliver the games we love and have them be financially viable because they can reach more people.

I think it'll be Microsoft Vs. 1 of Google/Apple/Netflix eventually.

Sony will get pushed out, their exclusive content is not enough to sustain a streaming service.

Nintendo I'm not sure. I suspect Nintendo will initially try to hold out for a while with a traditional approach, but eventually would sign with one of the two big players but they would ask for a huge sweetheart deal that would earn them a monstrous pile of money. Who knows, it could be Microsoft they eventually end up coming to terms with.

Oct 25, 2017
With data caps and iffy internet connections I don't see this streaming box taking off. The standalone box I will get.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Taking in consideration the Xbox is the platform I play the least (only use it to play with the wife) cheaper cloud console sounds good to me

vortz

Oct 29, 2017
Get 360 and XBO in the steaming library for 100$ and I would buy It straight away TOMORROW.

Oct 29, 2017
What I most want from this device is LOCAL game streaming.

I want an Xbox Two X in my living room that can stream games to my mounted bedroom tv that will have this scarlett cloud xbox duct taped behind it for a lag and latency free experience (since it will be a local wifi direct network)

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not super knowledgeable when it comes to streaming, but is there anything other than the desire to sell us more stuff stopping them from streaming Xbox Scarlet games to Xbox One consoles?

It really depends on how the streaming would work, if the kahawai tech demo is the route they go with it means that the "thin client" must be able to run on Xbox One hardware, but it could also fall back to regular streaming with no local compute. Other things that could be problematic would be the need for specific silicon in the box to make it able to do things like decode video or perform other special tasks required for the streaming to work.

However i see no reason for Microsoft to not want old Xbox One hardware to access the service, after all it's in their interest that you use the service to buy video games regardless of the client you are accessing it from.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Urgh... I can't support this kind of box and never will, people will buy and prefer the cloud box in masses just because it's "cheap", that's how the human work, if it's cheap, it doesn't matter if it's slightly worse, it's cheap, that goes over everything and BAM, 2 gens later it's cloud only because "Microsoft Spokesperson: people loves the cloud console, it sold so much better than the other one, that obviously means they only want this right?".

I don't know, I'm just very skeptical and look a bit further into the future.

Oct 25, 2017
So now i get a full hardware box for my living room and a cloud box for the bedroom?

Sign me up.
This is honestly the type of audience I see being the majority of that streaming box's purchasers. For additional boxes for around the house. Also, steam link like functionality with the console in the house would be a no brainer/guranteed imo making the purchase of a traditional console more appealing as well.

bry

Oct 27, 2017
What I most want from this device is LOCAL game streaming.

I want an Xbox Two X in my living room that can stream games to my mounted bedroom tv that will have this scarlett cloud xbox duct taped behind it for a lag and latency free experience (since it will be a local wifi direct network)
I want this too.
pls microsoft lmfao

Risq

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wonder if this has anything to do with fast-start and somehow downloading the current segment of the game you are playing to a local disk to avoid latency. Or some semblance of this.

Jan 2, 2018
This is honestly IMO a MUCH better solution than 2 traditional consoles where one is less powerful. This way games will be the developed with the best hardware in mind because the streaming box will just stream everything anyway.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One has to wonder how long Netflix sits on the sidelines too before they look into offering a Game service of their own.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
We're talking about average users though. We'll all be fine, of course we will, but parents buying the new "fortnight box" Christmas 2020 might not. That it's actually their fault isn't going to make a difference.

The price is going to be the primary consideration, not; does our internet at home work with it... "Well the X1 works fine, so this will work" is going to be the thought process.
That's not going to generate any major outrage though.

"Parents are pissed off because they didn't realise their internet wasn't good enough" isn't a particularly juicy story. Especially if a traditional console is offered at the same time.

You'll always have some uninformed idiots who will complain and blame MS but that won't be the majority.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
It's smart of them to pioneer in this sector. Streaming games will inevitably become a big part in the future.

But damn, how much dedicated hardware would MS need server-side for offering this to millions of people theoretically??

Darth Smurf X

Oct 25, 2017
Hoth, WI
This might just be the 2018 Darth Smurf talking, but… NOPE on the streaming-only thing. We'll see what 2020 Darth Smurf says.

Not to rain on their parade, but I hope Microsoft is going to put a lot of money into government lobbying, because without Net Neutrality, data caps are likely to get worse than better and that will render cloud gaming DOA.

Also, this. There is zero chance I'm buying a console based on what internet provider I have and what deals they have in place. I'll stick with physical if this is still a thing 2 years from now.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's smart of them to pioneer in this sector. Streaming games will inevitably become a big part in the future.

But damn, how much dedicated hardware would MS need server-side for offering this to millions of people theoretically??

A few Azure server farms should do the trick.

Bernd Lauert

Banned
May 27, 2018
Could be interesting if they really fixed latency issues. My internet is still too shit to deliver solid quality streams tho. Gonna buy a real console. Maybe next next gen.