Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Ps5 = Tien during his only redeeming moment
banderas.png

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
$499 USD with 10TF NAVI paired with a cut down R7 3700X.

Book it (probably, maybe, ... believe me)
12-14 tflops. Book it. we are getting SSDs, 8 core 16 thread CPUs and ray tracing. go back a few months, and there was nothing realistic about that.
18-20 TFs, Quantum Computing, Built in George Foreman Grill. Book it.

One billion TFlops, paired with a Skynet CPU able to process one trillion operations per nanosecond.

Book it, you heard it first here

Windows-PC

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And so will Sony. In fact, doubly so. Do you honestly think Playstation is purposefully going to design hardware that won't be powerful Because Microsoft has bags of money?

And it's not that big of a deal. Rumors are the spec delta is minor. We are talking less than 10 percent. That means at worse one platform runs at 30 FPS - the other at 33 FPS.
1. I never said that.

2. As I mentioned before, even 10% can make a huge difference in how you can market your product to the world. Because if you can market your product as THE most powerful one in the world it could be a huge advantage over the competition.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I feel like people focusing on the GPU and tflops are missing the point. It made sense last gen cause the CPU was weak, but the other components of the consoles are likely to be more important to the game changing nature of the machines than what GPU we get out of it.

I'd even go as far as saying both machines could use an XB1X level GPU and still be considered next gen tier

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
As I mentioned before, even 10% can make a huge difference in how you can market your product to the world. Because if you can market your product as THE most powerful one in the world it could be a huge advantage over the competition.
The power difference will be minimal. I think both Kleegamefan and Matt have state that.

With so small power difference Microsoft or Sony will not market their consoles as the most powerful. It will become a joke.

They will focus on their strengths. Services, games, SSD, ray tracing, VR, etc.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like people focusing on the GPU and tflops are missing the point. It made sense last gen cause the CPU was weak, but the other components of the consoles are likely to be more important to the game changing nature of the machines than what GPU we get out of it.

I'd even go as far as saying both machines could use an XB1X level GPU and still be considered next gen tier

I agree. The entire industry is bottlenecked by the processor and CPU these companies choose.

The GPU doesn't matter because they can always upgrade it later on. And does it really matter if a game is 1080p if its performance is flawless?

Windows-PC

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The power difference will be minimal. I think both Kleegamefan and Matt have state that.

With so small power difference Microsoft or Sony will not market their consoles as the most powerful. It will become a joke.

I'm sorry, but I don't think so. As I said before, I highly belive that the company who can market their product as the most powerful one will have a huge advantage over the competition. But what do I know right ;)

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
MS has been in the console business near 20 years..they have not done this yet..Been hearing this MS war chest stuff since the entered the business. It's fan fiction.

Well, we're certainly seeing them make bigger gaming investments than ever before.
With Gamepass and new studio purchases, they've shown they're quite willing to sacrifice short term profit for long term plays.
And gaming has never been as important to MS as it is now.
It'll be interesting to see how all this plays out leading up to the next generation.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm sorry, but I don't think so. As I said before, I highly belive that the company who can market their product as the most powerful one will have a huge advantage over the competition. But what do I know right ;)

Yeah "huge advantage" that worked well for MS in the last two years.

If they manage to get the most "powerful console" - which so far it seems it's not the case - they'd have to be cheaper than the competition for that to have an impact. The PS brand is that strong.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017

Any power difference at all that is technically correct can be used as marketing material.

But it won't matter as much as a lot of other aspects, such as digital library carry-over, etc.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
So this article is saying that this chip which is going to come out in a PC GPU, is of the same generation of the PS5 and Scarlett with Ray Tracing support.

How did that get twisted to: "this is the GPU powering both consoles"?

OP
OP
modiz

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
So this article is saying that this chip which is going to come out in a PC GPU, is of the same generation of the PS5 and Scarlett with Ray Tracing support.

did you read the quote? " This is the same GPU that will power the next-generation Playstation 5 and the Xbox as well "

it probably means that both PS5 and Scarlett are based off this GPU die, most likely cut down to some extent.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017

Fanboys. everyone else knows that the laws of physics still exist, and a console is not a big PC tower with a 750w power supply.

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
This is totally false and has been every generation. MS more so has an uphill battle, the two brands are not on equal footing worldwide.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Rumors are the spec delta is minor. We are talking less than 10 percent. That means at worse one platform runs at 30 FPS - the other at 33 FPS.
Yet you seem to be interested in that Sony "wins" this race. And 10 percent more of GPU power and in terms of raw numbers does not necessarily translate to 10% difference in actual gaming performance, especially not necessarily in an fps difference.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
  • xbox came out a year and 8 months after the ps2.
  • xbox 360 had better multiplats because cell was hard to figure out and sony foolishly decided to go with split ram. ps3 exclusives looked better than ms exclusives despite all this and by the end of the gen both consoles were roughly on par.
  • pro came out a year early. and was $100 cheaper. this time around both consoles will be on par when it comes to price tag. it will be interesting to see who wins when they both launch at the same time.

I think it is hard to predict which one of the upcoming consoles would be faster based on histoircal data. You make a good point about cost and time of launch is an important factor. This is especially true for the PS2/Xbox and the Pro/One X.

It should be noted that "the cell being hard to figure out" was not even half of it with the PS3. It also had less available ram (at leass at the start), less memory bandwidth and an older, less flexible - and in real terms weaker - GPU.

I will agree that the first party Sony games looked better throughout the generation, with MS own not really catching up until the very end.

It is quite possible that the PS5 will be the fastest console next gen, but we cannot really lean on previous data either way. If we could, then the Xbox One would have been a technical powerhouse and not a 720p trashfire. However, I do not think anyone will be making a new Xbox One or a new PS3 next gen.

Fliep

Banned
Feb 13, 2018
This may be dumb question:
What a difference does it make wether the smaller or the bigger chip gets in PS5 and nextbox considering that the size of these consoles prevent that a full chip can get build in anyways. As the two navi chips seem to be the same generation I don't see what the huge win with a bigger (but in the end also cut down) chip would be.
Hope I can get my point across.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever it is....it will be better than my launch units which is all I have.
Sounds like it will be a PS4 and Xbox One X duct taped together.

If it doesn't look at least twice as good as actual reality and launch under $300 I will be quick to post my displeasure online at what a huge flop it will be.

Sleuth

alt account
Banned
Jul 18, 2019
I wonder if it will let me play my old games I bought on PSN, in 60FPS.

OuterWilds doesn't look to graphically intense to me, and still the frame rate is terrible on my Pro.

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
There's no way xbox will be the weaker system this time around. they learnt their lesson from last gen. If however it is less powerful they may as well forget competing next gen too even if the difference is slight. Having people saying its more powerful is enough to sway people these days.

Nov 8, 2018
I'll be intrigued because I'm not expecting much from next-gen systems, I've not been impressed by a visual leap since PS1 - PS2.

PS2 to 3 wasn't that impressive to me and PS3 to 4 was so minimal I barely noticed until 3 halfway through the generation (I literally trust nothing from the presentations and tech demos, because they're very much lab-conditions set within very small areas or just sampling very small sections of the face etc).

I'll be interested to see if consoles this time can provide any next-gen effects like ray-tracing at native 4k above 30fps within certain restrained conditions.

This sounds promising, but my cynicism over the past two generations has grown.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it is hard to predict which one of the upcoming consoles would be faster based on histoircal data. You make a good point about cost and time of launch is an important factor. This is especially true for the PS2/Xbox and the Pro/One X.

It should be noted that "the cell being hard to figure out" was not even half of it with the PS3. It also had less available ram (at leass at the start), less memory bandwidth and an older, less flexible - and in real terms weaker - GPU.

I will agree that the first party Sony games looked better throughout the generation, with MS own not really catching up until the very end.

It is quite possible that the PS5 will be the fastest console next gen, but we cannot really lean on previous data either way. If we could, then the Xbox One would have been a technical powerhouse and not a 720p trashfire. However, I do not think anyone will be making a new Xbox One or a new PS3 next gen.
yep. cant really ascertain much by looking at past gen.

as for the ram, yeah i thought i mentioned the split ram. their biggest mistake was making vram 256mb and making system ram a separate 256 mb pool. rsx was definitely a weak gpu but the cell was more than powerful enough to compensate for its deficiencies. IIRC, MLAA was done on the cell as well as several other GPU tasks.

Right now the rumors suggest that the ps5 is stronger. there are several benchmark leaks from amd that suggest an insane 2.0 ghz clockspeed on the ps5 devkits. makes no sense. but there are clues that point to it. there was a benchmark leak for an APU that showed a massively cut down version of the zen 2 cpu with 3/4 of its cache gone. that gives sony more space to add CUs or push the clocks since the APU is smaller. they might also be using HBM2 which consumes much less power and space than GDDR6. the prototype devkit might also be similar to whatever they put in the final console.

that said, despite all that, the difference might be 20% max. 10% is more likely. it will give ps5 exclusives an edge because they will utilize the power equivalent of an x1 or ps4 much better, but it wont translate into new features in multiplat games.

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
There's no way xbox will be the weaker system this time around. they learnt their lesson from last gen. If however it is less powerful they may as well forget competing next gen too even if the difference is slight. Having people saying its more powerful is enough to sway people these days.
No it isn't, and it has never been.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
that said, despite all that, the difference might be 20% max. 10% is more likely. it will give ps5 exclusives an edge because they will utilize the power equivalent of an x1 or ps4 much better, but it wont translate into new features in multiplat games.
VR is going to be glorious.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
10% performance delta isn't the kind of shit you see on screen. touting it for ads as a technical truth would be low hanging fruit

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
did you not exist when the current gen started or something? it was a huge deal.
Yes I was, when Xbox had kinect was 100 more expensive, and was littered with negativity due to no used games...were you around then? Price, Perception, games, brand,are all more important. It was a bigger deal due to the most powerful also being cheaper.....let's not re-write history.

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
Yes I was, when Xbox had kinect was 100 more expensive, and was littered with negativity due to no used games...were you around then? Price, Perception, games, brand,are all more important. It was a bigger deal due to the most powerful also being cheaper.....let's not re-write history.

You can't just ignore an important factor that people were talking about and had a big effect not just at launch but for the following years because of other factors which were not even true at launch such as the used games issue which certainly had no affect a year later like the power issue did.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
did you not exist when the current gen started or something? it was a huge deal.

yup, back then every big game release we got the big digital foundry thread about how xbox one version was inferior and it was brutal. xbox got ruthlessly raked over the coals for lacking power. the only thing that really stopped it was release of the xbox one x. otherwise it would still be going on.

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
You can't just ignore an important factor that people were talking about and had a big effect not just at launch but for the following years because of other factors which were not even true at launch such as the used games issue and certainly had no affect a year later like the power issue did.
I didn;'t ignore it, it's a factor, but just one out of many, power is lower on the totem poll..Again, Xbox being 100 more, plus simply not being as strong as PS WW, are far bigger factors.....Only once did the most poweful console sell more, and that was when it was also cheaper.... I mean you literally ignored all the major factors starting this gen and focused just on power...price was a far bigger factor for one.

yup, back then every big game release we got the big digital foundry thread about how xbox one version was inferior and it was brutal. xbox got ruthlessly raked over the coals for lacking power. the only thing that really stopped it was release of the xbox one x. otherwise it would still be going on.
Outside of forms no one really cares.

The One X did not change a thing , it's more powerful...