• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If they do romance again, please I hope for like 1-2 super fleshed out options who's narratives intertwine throughout the whole story. Much better than 20 one night stands.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If it indeed gets revealed late April or early May then its maybe the game (glimpse of Nextgen) Zhuge refered to. Its just speculation on my part

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
that leak sounds a little too safe.. and extremely similar to Odyssey
I am more on the side that leak is fake but we'll see soon enough

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
No man damn it I want less supernatural stuff, it's so stupid. Everything else sounds fine though I wish they just made the character a woman and be done with the choice since the writing would be less generic but I always choose the canon option anyway.

I just want a smaller more focused game with more realistic issues not my father being the king of Atlantis while my family solves the Pythagorean theorem and my super powers having issues.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
But... will social stealth come back? :(

Yep, seems plausible, since that's the only thing AC writers can come up with since past games.
That's sorta been the thing since the 1st one though. However, in the first few games they've been able to transform them into something more. Altair, Ezio and Connor are all different people when they start their respective journeys and when they finish them. But all of them also shared that "revenge!" initial motive.

Maybe Edward is the main exception? I don't think his journey starts due to wanting revenge.... oh, Jacob and Evie too I think!

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019

Yep, seems plausible, since that's the only thing AC writers can come up with since past games.

Yeah, expanding on the social stealth and black box assassinations is definitely what I wanted them to do for a while. You know, "ASSASSIN'S" Creed. I think one of the problems with the recent games going more RPG in style is that now players are more worried about romance options than improving mechanics such as stealth, assassinations and traversal.

ankhoa123

Nov 23, 2017
well I think the new game must start with the letter "O" in the title, like Origin and Odyssey had previously .

Sebalt

Oct 28, 2017
Reminder: j0nathan is the same guy who made up fake Amazon leaks not so long ago, to "prove that game journalists don't verify sources". Also, his "info" on the next Assassin's Creed comes from older supposed leaks. He isn't credible at all.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017

Any game that lets me schmooze my way into a party to do something dodgy is a good game. Dishonored, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Kasumi's Mass Effect 2 DLC, and Mass Effect 3: Citadel all come to mind.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
It's weird that the last two games (if this latest rumour is true) supposedly have women as the canon choice. They could have just made them the only character.

But again, they obviously wanted Odyssey to be an RPG with choices, so I guess it fits. I wish we were back to the more linear approach story-wise the previous games had with Ezio, Bayer, Edward... as much as I love the Mass Effect approach.

Deleted member 59992

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2019
Here are some cool artworks to get in the Viking mood.

Artwork #1 (Source: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/KaxBmG)
imx-awan-cinematic.jpg

Artwork #2 (Source: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ybO2rQ)
jerome-cristalli-viking-drawing-hero-shot-ext.jpg

Artwork #3 (Source: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/6JO2x)
paulina-sajniak-week-03-01-done.jpg

Artwork #4, "For Honor" Concept Art (Source: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/gnW4L)
gilles-beloeil-fh-ev-w21-alentours-key-shot-gbeloeil.jpg

Artwork #5 (Source: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/xE9bO)
einar-martinsen-viking-boatarrival-em-02.jpg

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Any notable historical figures from the leaked time frame we may potentially meet in the game?

Last edited:

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
For Honor Viking Village trailer to see what the game could look like since it's on the same engine.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
For Honor Viking Village trailer to see what the game could look like since it's on the same engine.

They are technically same engine (Anvil) but different games use different branches. For example i R6Siege is done in Anvil too but modified. So don't expect things to be that similar. New AC game will have bigger budget and bigger world (i would argue better art-direction too because Raphael Lacoste is probably in charge for next AC game).

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
They are technically same engine (Anvil) but different games use different branches. For example i R6Siege is done in Anvil too but modified. So don't expect things to be that similar. New AC game will have bigger budget and bigger world (i would argue better art-direction too because Raphael Lacoste is probably in charge for next AC game).

Of course but it's the closest thing and it's still looks great and detailed because of its small scale.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Any notable historical figures from the leaked time frame we may potentially meet in the game?
Don't know when the timeframe is but I have to imagine that there could be a reference in there to Leif Erikson. He 'discovered' America a good half millennium before Columbus so may end up in the game as someone who helped Assassin's get a foothold in that country.

Also, I think the lead out of Vikings is based on a real person isn't he?

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017

This reminded me that AC: Vikings is likely going to be a moodier game than the last 2 given the rumored locations and era, so i really hope they lather some thick atmosphere onto this one. I'd love to see dynamic snowstorms and real gloomy nighttime vibes. I thought Origins was more successful at coloring the open world with moments than Odyssey, such as the hallucinations and sandstorms, as well as being inherently more mysterious set in Egypt, so i hope they play into that stuff more. For all of Odyssey's visual grandeur, with its picturesque temples and vistas, the world doesn't jump out with any real personality.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
This reminded me that AC: Vikings is likely going to be a moodier game than the last 2 given the rumored locations and era, so i really hope they lather some thick atmosphere onto this one. I'd love to see dynamic snowstorms and real gloomy nighttime vibes. I thought Origins was more successful at coloring the open world with moments than Odyssey, such as the hallucinations and sandstorms, as well as being inherently more mysterious set in Egypt, so i hope they play into that stuff more. For all of Odyssey's visual grandeur, with its picturesque temples and vistas, the world doesn't jump out with any real personality.

Agreed! I've never thought of it this way but it's true. Origin's world had more atmosphere and personality. AC Vikings is being worked on by the Origins team so that's good. I want rain to be moody and thunderstorms to be terrifying.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
This thread might be the first where I feel the need to put it on ignore. I can't stop myself from checking whenever i see it come up because I'm so eager to get new information on leaks.

I do wonder how much time if any we actually spend in scandinavia and how far the game will reach into mainland europe and britain. The time period is also quite interesting.

OP
OP

Deleted member 25448

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"The Animus was humankind's first unconscious attempt to explain what it could not see. Understanding genetic memories, an eye into history. But the Animus bears a fatal flaw. It follows the rules from those who embrace Order, just as we did. It allows you to witness, but not alter.

Your Animus is different, as is the mind that imagined it. it could escape the code. It could do that leap and make possible a decision that defies the order of things that are.

Wake up. Be the chaos that comes to be. Gods are just like you and me"

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
I'm always surprised so many people are missing social stealth. It's such a ridiculous mechanic. Sitting on a bench or walking between 4 monks doesn't make you invisible, nor is it fun. And it was often required in the super annoying insta-fail missions.

If they bring it back, they'd have to make it more like hitman, with disguises and blending in.

OP
OP

Deleted member 25448

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm always surprised so many people are missing social stealth. It's such a ridiculous mechanic. Sitting on a bench or walking between 4 monks doesn't make you invisible, nor is it fun. And it was often required in the super annoying insta-fail missions.

If they bring it back, they'd have to make it more like hitman, with disguises and blending in.

Social stealth doesn't mean "sitting on a bench" or "walking between 4 monks" etc xDD. I'm on about taking the Origins/Odyssey approach to social stealth and improving on it. It's ridiculous that you can't even Assassinate someone that is levels above you (at least in Origins with the Hidden Blade) It should be a one-hit kill. They need to get rid of the level scaling system.

I agree with the Hitman approach. I think it could work well for a series such as AC.
Liberation had the right idea with swapping outfits for stealth but they never brought that mechanic back, which is a damn shame.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

Cus they thinking of the crowd stealth stuff from Unity, where your character could realistically disapear into crowds.

wavbupohb28oobdi0aab.gif

I do wish you could wear actual disguises. It was one of the things I really liked about liberation.

One of the things I dislike most about the modern stuff so that apparently all modern assassin's apparently wear white and red branded hoodies any abstergo guard could recognise from a mile off.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cus they thinking of the crowd stealth stuff from Unity, where your character could realistically disapear into crowds.

wavbupohb28oobdi0aab.gif

I do wish you could wear actual disguises. It was one of the things I really liked about liberation.

One of the things I dislike most about the modern stuff so that apparently all modern assassin's apparently wear white and red branded hoodies any abstergo guard could recognise from a mile off.

Unity is absolutely my favorite current gen AC. Such a shame it had all those tech issues that caused it to fail.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
AC Vikings will most likely be just like Odyssey, and that's great.

But seeing that Unity gif makes me really want to see a next-gen AC set in a more modern era (something like Renaissance onwards) primarily set in a sprawling, highly vertical city that feels alive and with a main character with a fixed plot and pre-established relationships. Also, proper assasinations and a combat system that fits that.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Social stealth doesn't mean "sitting on a bench" or "walking between 4 monks" etc xDD. I'm on about taking the Origins/Odyssey approach to social stealth and improving on it. It's ridiculous that you can't even Assassinate someone that is levels above you (at least in Origins with the Hidden Blade) It should be a one-hit kill. They need to get rid of the level scaling system.

I agree with the Hitman approach. I think it could work well for a series such as AC.
Liberation had the right idea with swapping outfits for stealth but they never brought that mechanic back, which is a damn shame.
The issue with giving the player the ability to assassinate anybody regardless of the stat checks that dicate damage is that it creates an optimal strategy that for all intents and purposes, can't be beat, which, in a 50-100 hr RPG where they want you making different builds and investing in playstyles, each of which has huge advantages and disadvantages isn't ideal. The proof of this is simply the two AC games before Origins and Odyssey. Specifically Unity. They wanted you to be able to create custom builds and approach any situation the way you want depending on that build and play style. Lighter armor/outfits=less health but more stealth. Heavy armor=less stealth but more health. Etc. Thing is this creates a contradiction. Because like hitman, the aggressive route coincides with a conscious choice by the devs to make you extremely weak even if you wanna go heavy armor and go in through the front gates. The most notable example of this being that no other AC game has AI that shoots you as often as Unity. So the best strategy was stealthing through using the phantom blade and hidden blade because they bypassed every single stat check, and doing anything other than that was more of an exercise in frustration when it was intended to be a way for players to express themselves in a sandbox at least according to most pieces of marketing material. The last two AC games, especially Odyssey, took the ideas from the above trailer and actually made them work. So you actually HAVE different builds that result in very very different experiences. Like, a stealth archer build feels more like a TPS game compared to the dark souls brawling of a warrior build. Past AC wass almost like the issue with MGS's optimal strategy taken to an extreme. Like yes you can go guns blazing in MGS, and there's are ton of stuff you can do to make it's very defined systems fit your intention, but why invest time into getting better at any of that when you have this, the ultimate optimal strategy from minute 1:

The last two AC games are designed with the idea that every player gets their cookie. So the stealthy assassin, brutal warrior, archer, and everything in between, all of these are genuinely valid choices for the player to make when it comes to their approach, nothing is optimal beyond the other builds and to get the most out of a playstyle they expect you to invest in it. So the stealth assassin who can stealth kill everything requires some investment from the player. And most importantly, you can't be everything at once ala Skyrim. You can't be the deadliest assassin, best warrior, and stealth archer all at once.

Last edited:

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Social stealth doesn't mean "sitting on a bench" or "walking between 4 monks" etc xDD. I'm on about taking the Origins/Odyssey approach to social stealth and improving on it. It's ridiculous that you can't even Assassinate someone that is levels above you (at least in Origins with the Hidden Blade) It should be a one-hit kill.
What you're talking about has nothing to do with "social stealth". Social stealth, as the post you are responding to suggests, means the ability to blend into crowds and other social settings to remain hidden. It really does mean things sitting on a bench or walking in a group.

I do wish you could wear actual disguises.
The disguise ability to Unity did feel a lot like a quick addition that didn't have much thought put into it. It was probably a victim of the way Unity heavily integrated equipment builds.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Unity is absolutely my favorite current gen AC. Such a shame it had all those tech issues that caused it to fail.

The game was a technical mess and I have issues with the story, but when it worked it worked so godamn well.

Main thing is that I enjoy the RPG elements and stuff of the last two but I still wanna be a realistically sneaky assasins cus, well it's an assassin game. Not that it matters but it's in the title.

The crowd stuff in unity reminded actually of the older splinter cell games, in that when you were in the dark in those games it was genuinely dark. At moments pitch black and you could only pick Sam out via his green head lights. It felt you were genuinely hiding rather than a gameplay concession and Unity often felt like that.

Absurdeity

Jun 2, 2018
i did not like many things about Origins and Odyssey just sounds way worse, but for some reason i'm still interested in this

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I liked Origins and (what I've played of) Odyssey but there was really no reason to get rid of social stealth and hiding in haystacks respectively.

Also I really hope they just get rid of the modern day stuff/animus plot device entirely. It sucks. It was an interesting layer in AC1 but even then it wasn't fun to play and was only enjoyable as a framing device.