• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean no shit. There was a rumor years ago they were making a new game along with the Switch/Xbox/PC ports of N-Sane.

My only concern is how good it'll turn out without Naughty Dog's stuff to build off from.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
Just a reminder not to take anything Sabi or Marcus Sellars's as credible. They're looking for attention and have been exposed (esp sellars).

obviously a new crash game is coming, Activision even said in their recent earnings a new one was coming. Can't wait.

Motwera

Oct 27, 2017
The original post content should be changed with the ViewerAnon tweets at least, no need to have it from Sabi

Oct 27, 2017
And even before 2008, Crash started falling off the planet ever since after Crash Team Racing & in which Naughty Dog & Sony have either lost the license or have sold it off, which made things worse for the series.

ND/Sony neither lost nor sold the license. Crash (and Spyro) were always owned by Universal Interactive (who, via mergers and acquisitions, ended up part of Activision). Sony just had some sort of exclusivity deal for the characters on the PS1.

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean no shit. There was a rumor years ago they were making a new game along with the Switch/Xbox/PC ports of N-Sane.

My only concern is how good it'll turn out without Naughty Dog's stuff to build off from.
Future Tense was a really well made level tbqh.
As long as they do not stray too far from the level design from the Naughty Dog games it should be fine.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
ND/Sony neither lost nor sold the license. Crash (and Spyro) were always owned by Universal Interactive (who, via mergers and acquisitions, ended up part of Activision). Sony just had some sort of exclusivity deal for the characters on the PS1.

Sony was the actual boots on the ground publisher, so it was always going to be PS exclusive. That and the fact the game and its engine were specifically engineered around certain "features" of PS1's hardware.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I think Six worlds, a super hard remixed world and all challenges modes coming back should be a fine offering. Two characters with different moves could be awesome too

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I have the full trust for Vicarious Visions. They were behind the GBA Crash games and they were the best games in the series after the originals.

Motwera

Oct 27, 2017
So, here's what we've got so far leading up to the rumoured new game, listed in bullet points and copied from my blog post (excluding the ViewerAnon tweets, since they're already posted in this thread)
  • Judging from career job listings for an "unannounced project", that the company has been working on this game at least for some time (I assume). The studio hasn't released a standalone video game that is not tied to another studio, which happens to be "Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy". Their last major project involving the production collaboration with another studio was with Bungie's Destiny 2 expansion "Season of Opulence" which was wrapped up after the split on February 13, 2019.
  • In a recent livestream, Andrew Carl said that the Alchemy Engine is still being used at the studio for prototypes and game jams, despite what speculation led up in response to the 2016 Instagram picture "Farewell Alchemy" by Benny Raymond. There's a chance that next game will run on Unreal Engine.
  • There's a good chance that like last year and PSX 2016's reveal, we could get the new game announced there on December 12, and if you want to vote on the 2019 nominees, you can show your support for Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled as the Best Sports/Racing games against FIFA 20, DiRT Rally 2.0, eFootball Pro Evolution Soccer 2020 and F1 2019.
  • The "5-year plan" mention in the GB Eye blurb spread in early 2018 aligns well with the timing of the new game, as well as the continued support and content for CTR: Nitro-Fueled
  • Activision has recently talked about the opportunity of going beyond remakes for Crash and Spyro with "new content", leading to the belief that they are indeed indicating a new game and this is true, because Activision usually hints at new game developments or interest in new projects in this fashion. This could also indicate the recent content push done in Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled with the addition of Grand Prix seasonal updates. Additionally, they also hinted at Spyro's comeback by releasing new merchandise to places like Hot Topic and First 4 Figures.
  • Toys for Bob's case is fascinating here, as there has been a leak of concept art pieces featuring Cortex, Dingodile, N. Tropy, N. Gin, and monster N. Brio and other pieces showcasing other characters and one environment concept, it seems. Nicholas Kole has been cheeky about it and nor Activision or Toys for Bob have commented or made a statement about it.
  • It is also possible that a recent image they posted about "Creative Ops" pitch at DigiPen Institute might reveal a wider test level that's blurred with what might be Crash in the orange bits, alongside platforms and other objects. The text reveals that this is an "innovation" pitch aimed to demonstrate the main idea of the prototype shown, with it being small, focused, quick and dirty. It is also possible that this is something entirely different, we'll see what could end up here.
  • The most interesting bit comes from the new PlayStation "It's Time to Play" commercial by Sony, where we can see the Mask following the trio while they're racing in their karts. And there's been a new render on bus adverts (Double-decker) featuring a modified model with more shaped mouth and eyes. Nicholas yet again does the thing where he teases us about it.

Last edited:

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
I'm excited, however I just beat the crash series the first time and did not enjoy the clunky game design.

But this is going to be a modern design so it's going to be polish up the ass and I love platformers.

Oct 27, 2017
If they go open world they have learned nothing. We want classic crash gameplay
Here, here!
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
Going open world/sandbox collectathon is the last fuckin' thing that Crash needs after a decade of experimental unfocused buffoonery and 8 years of silent obscurity. The series just got back on track by remastering what 10 million people loved, streamlined linear 3D platforming gameplay/structure.

Like, I so very desperately need Crash to have its Sonic Mania moment; I want a brand new original Crash platformer that honors and respects its beloved tried-and-true foundation while also ironing out said foundation's kinks and subverting/toying with said foundation wherever and whenever necessary. For me that's the dream, and I do believe that VV has the potentiol to deliver.

Oct 27, 2017
Were any of the post-Naughty Dog Crash games any good?
Imo, largely no.
(No offense to anybody who likes these games but...)
Wrath of Cortex is a rushed pale imitation of Warped that plays it waaay too safe and is infected with a glut of boring and sometimes frustrating vehicle sections and levels.

Twinsanity is a rushed over-ambitious glitchy mess of a game that barely feels like Crash thanks to its focus on "LOLZ so random!" humor, half-baked new game styles (Cortex & Nina), nerfed mechanics, and off-brand Jak & Daxter-esque collectathon gameplay/structure.

Crash of the Titans is a mediocre (at best) pre-2018 God of War clone for the kiddies with an unnecessary and largely unappealing change up in art direction and characterization (the hit or miss "lol so random!" humor is strong with this one).

Oh , and the only enjoyable thing about Mind over Mutant is Dr. N. Brio...
...that's it.

The only post-ND/pre-N. Sane platformers worth playing from that era imo are the two GBA side-scrollers developed by Vicarious Visions, The Huge Adventure and CB2: N. Tranced.
Like, they're about several notches below the quality of the ND games; they reuse a TON of downgraded PS1 assets and don't really introduce a lot of substantial new ideas to the formula, but the control and level design is really solid which makes them fun to play at the end of the day.

Last edited:

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Were any of the post-Naughty Dog Crash games any good?

Big huge mega Crash fan here. (Obviously)

The console platformers (WoC, Twinsanity, Titans, Mutant) are all varying levels of decent to great if you like Crash.

Wrath of Cortex is "Warped Again with Weird Physics" but if you can get past that it has redeeming qualities. It relegates the Naughty Dog rogues gallery to invincible obstacles in the main stages and replaces them with Crunch, who you fight 5 times. He uses Elemental Masks to change his form in each fight, the Elemental Masks are the story highlight, as an R. Lee Ermey voiced mask literally shows up at one point to scream "LEAVE MY LEVELS ALONE" at you and immediately leave.

Twinsanity is decent but it's really shoddily put together and there are lots of dropped plotlines and suffers the opposite problem of Twinsanity. It crams everyone and everything it can in, but it suffers the same result -- no one gets any real screen time and no one really does anything of consequence. The villains defeat the most powerful characters in the game's universe and then lose a hand to hand fight in a giant robot. If you can ignore the lopsided story, the meat of the game and the couple of new things they try make the legitimately 2-4 hour experience worth it if you find it cheap. The humor feels ripped right from one of the B-List CN/Nick shows of the 90s but has some high points.

Crash of the Titans is a fun platformer beatemup hybrid. If you can get past the change in character designs, it's good. I even think it's great. I again disagree with the above characterization of "for the kiddies" and "lol so random!" humor. On the hardest difficulty the game is incredibly punishing and the Titan hijacking mechanic can be a really rewarding chaining mechanic. The humor isn't random by my characterization. It can be immature and certainly irreverent but no more 'random' than any cartoon of the 2000s. The game just simply makes no bones about the fact it's a comedy. SPECIAL NOTE: If you can play it in co-op, it goes from great to really great. That's when the game is at its most fun. Play it on a console that doesn't require you to waggle.

Mind Over Mutant is Crash of the Titans but instead of the 60/40 in favor of brawling, it's 70/30 in favor of platforming, and for whatever reason, it's a metroidvania in 3D. You need to take monsters different places and backtrack a lot. It's okay off the back of Titans (especially since it's a direct sequel in all the most direct ways) but on its own it's weaker.

As for the handhelds, things range from great all the way down to downright garbage.

Crash of the Titans DS is a standout game in that it melds the console game with the Naughty Dog formula and adds back in the crate puzzles and stuff. It's way less funny and downright corny though. The story is a jankier weird fork of the console game where Cortex creates a giant disco dancing robot to step on the Islands. That's seriously it. But the gameplay is really really good.

The Vicarious Visions platformers on the GBA are decent. The stories are too serious though. Raaargh, villains! They're also shorter than the Naughty Dog games by 5-10 levels each.

Stay far the fuck away from Crash: Boom Bang and Crash Purple/Spyro Orange, etc.

The cell phone games are interesting but impossible to get these days. Mutant Island is actually really really good for a 2D Java phone game. The iOS racers are delisted and not that great especially now that the amazing Nitro-Fueled exists.

Last edited:

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Really hope this is true, I need more Crash in my life.

Would this be VV working on this or TFB?

We know for a fact TFB is working on it, but whether they're part of the support or the lead is something we don't know yet.

Here's some of TFB's concept work on the game:

dI-UWaYc.jpg:medium

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Huh interesting. What's VV been doing all this time then?

Oh they're definitely working on this too lol. TFB/VV/Beenox overlap at this point considerably. CTR:NF had all three of their hands in the pie for instance. VV did almost all of the Nitro Kart tracks in NF, off the top of my head. Personally I think VV is leading this Crash game and TFB is support, but at this point who knows. They've all three proven their capabilities in my eyes, so I'm fine with whoever. VV are also working on, and I know this is a shocker considering the parent company, but a new IP. Dark fantasy stuff. At least, that's what their job offers insinuated a while back.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh they're definitely working on this too lol. TFB/VV/Beenox overlap at this point considerably. CTR:NF had all three of their hands in the pie for instance. VV did almost all of the Nitro Kart tracks in NF, off the top of my head. Personally I think VV is leading this Crash game and TFB is support, but at this point who knows. They've all three proven their capabilities in my eyes, so I'm fine with whoever. VV are also working on, and I know this is a shocker considering the parent company, but a new IP. Dark fantasy stuff. At least, that's what their job offers insinuated a while back.

I see, I'm glad they're all working on it. All three studios did a great job with their games so their combined efforts should be a sight to see. Thanks.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
As long as they stick mostly to the ND formula I think it could be pretty great. Crash deserves another really good (new) game.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Not sure how much other people would be on board, but I think they could do some moveset tweaking for crash. As it is, none of his moves flow together very well.

For example, replace the body slam with Jak's downward punch or something similar. Maybe make mid-air spins work more like Jak's spin attack.

...man I want a new Jak game.

Oct 27, 2017
As far as I'm concerned ND nailed the flow and properties of Crash's move-set all the way back in 97.
The only things I'd like for them to do in that department is get rid of the glitch high jump, give Crash the Death Tornado Spin from the start (its one of the most unique and satisfying feeling glides in all of 3D platformerdom), make him lean his body into his turns for more natural feeling 360° control, and make him go faster when he runs or slides down a hill (like in Mario Odyssey).

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Not sure how much other people would be on board, but I think they could do some moveset tweaking for crash. As it is, none of his moves flow together very well.

For example, replace the body slam with Jak's downward punch or something similar. Maybe make mid-air spins work more like Jak's spin attack.

One of the best things Crash of the Titans did was have Crash's aerial spin be a helicopter move similar to Jak's, except you could tap it again after a few frames to spin again so you could slowly descend across gaps and stuff. Like the Tornado Spin from Crash 3 except more controllable and useful.

I also want more Jak btw.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017

Personally Jak > Uncharted.
Thats nothing against uncharted either. I just love Jak

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Seeing Twinsanity described as a collectathon is so bizarre. Theres no forced collecting, everything plot relevant is thrown directly in your path. The game itself is hyper linear but has like 3 maybe 4 slightly open areas along the way (and i do mean slightly, banjo kazooie levels these aint) you can poke around in to unlock concept art by finding gems but otherwise can completely ignore and never return to. Its closer to the modern term of "Wide linear" than "Open collectathon" but even then its not that wide.
You do more collecting gathering the power crystals in the PS1 games.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Seeing Twinsanity described as a collectathon is so bizarre. Theres no forced collecting, everything plot relevant is thrown directly in your path. The game itself is hyper linear but has like 3 maybe 4 slightly open areas along the way (and i do mean slightly, banjo kazooie levels these aint) you can poke around in to unlock concept art by finding gems but otherwise can completely ignore and never return to. Its closer to the modern term of "Wide linear" than "Open collectathon" but even then its not that wide.
You do more collecting gathering the power crystals in the PS1 games.

I may be wrong but off the top of my head I think there aren't *any* mandatory gems. And Gems are the only collectible outside of fruits/lives. If anything, Twinsanity is really shallow on collectibles...

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I may be wrong but off the top of my head I think there aren't *any* mandatory gems. And Gems are the only collectible outside of fruits/lives. If anything, Twinsanity is really shallow on collectibles...
Theres power crystals that are "mandatory" but you get them from beating bosses or are literally tossed in your path and cant be avoided during the humilskate levels. Theres no required collecting outside of that and frankly thats not even collecting. Theres no door that demands x amount of shinies

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Theres power crystals that are "mandatory" but you get them from beating bosses or are literally tossed in your path and cant be avoided during the humilskate levels. Theres no required collecting outside of that and frankly thats not even collecting. Theres no door that demands x amount of shinies

Oh shit yeah I forgot. Not sure HOW I forgot because the trigger volume for some of the Crystals is ridiculous too lmao

You can walk completely around them with a wide berth of like 15 feet and it literally forces you to have it.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
If there's one thing that's lame about Twinsanity's gameplay is that the crates take a huge backseat. All those fun crate puzzles are gone in favor of the open world style the game has going on. It just feels so fucking empty because there's no reward for breaking them besides getting fruit and lives (and a Aku mask that's been rendered utterly useless). They were what made Crash, y'know, Crash, if you catch my drift. The crux of Crash you would say.

They're just not fun to break anymore, especially since they're not a priority. All you really get is Nitro spamming, where's the fun in that?

Motwera

Oct 27, 2017
If there's one thing that's lame about Twinsanity's gameplay is that the crates take a huge backseat. All those fun crate puzzles are gone in favor of the open world style the game has going on. It just feels so fucking empty because there's no reward for breaking them besides getting fruit and lives (and a Aku mask that's been rendered utterly useless). They were what made Crash, y'know, Crash, if you catch my drift. The crux of Crash you would say.

They're just not fun to break anymore, especially since they're not a priority. All you really get is Nitro spamming, where's the fun in that?
Seriously, that bothered me so much, I really want the new game to not do that like in Twinsanity. Also, what also bothered me in Twinsanity is how it seemed to pretend that it was a classic styled game, even to the HUD as if its like a parody (not a bad thing, but that's pet peeve with the tone of the game).

Also on another topic, does it matter which franchise gets a new game first? They're both getting new games anyways and I'm happy about that

Oct 27, 2017

I know, RIGHT!?
UGH, the way Twinsanity handled its useless crates is the perfect example of how not to adapt a series' core gameplay element to a new style or genre.
Like no matter how you feel about Breath of the Wild (I certainly ain't its biggest fan...) the way it incentivizes exploration through breaking up 3D Zelda's traditional puzzle-gauntlet dungeons into micro dungeons is well thought out. It makes the player want to look up and down and all around its dangerous open world by providing currency for heart and stamina upgrades instead of an important McGuffin. Again, no matter how one feels about the game there was clearly a lot of thought put into an open world adaptation of OoT-style 3D LoZ's core gameplay elements.
Twinsanity was like "lEtZ jUsT pUt BOX cUz Crash gOt BOX!".
I'm honestly surprised there's demand for this. I'm surprised the remakes did so well.
The original PS1Naughty Dog Trilogy were positively reviewed/critically acclaimed multi-million sellers. The first game sold 6 million+ copies worldwide. There are beloved Nintendo series that struggle to crack just 1 million that people clamor for all the time.
Why would anyone be surprised that there is demand for this?

Last edited:

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I know, RIGHT!?
UGH, the way Twinsanity handled its useless crates is the perfect example of how not to adapt a series' core gameplay element to a new style or genre.
Like no matter how you feel about Breath of the Wild (I certainly ain't its biggest fan...) the way it incentivizes exploration through breaking up 3D Zelda's traditional puzzle-gauntlet dungeons into micro dungeons is well thought out. It makes the player want to look up and down and all around its dangerous open world by providing currency for heart and stamina upgrades instead of an important McGuffin. Again, no matter how one feels about the game there was clearly a lot of thought put into an open world adaptation of OoT-style 3D LoZ's core gameplay elements.
Twinsanity was like "lEtZ jUsT pUt BOX cUz Crash gOt BOX!".

The original PS1Naughty Dog Trilogy were positively reviewed/critically acclaimed multi-million sellers. The first game sold 6 million+ copies worldwide. There are beloved Nintendo series that struggle to crack just 1 million that people clamor for all the time.
Why would anyone be surprised that there is demand for this?
I thought times had changed.