• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I can't believe how tight RRT4 still is. This game is so incredible that I can't stop thinking about it.

It just makes me realize this game is pretty much a JRPG in its own right. The story mode, even as light as it is, is great enough to tell a story that makes me want to give my all in races.

Just check the Pac Racing Club for example:

• Shinji Yazaki is the manager of the club and doesn't trust you at all
  • You win your first few races and still believes it's a fluke and it shows the sad state of the competition
  • You win the second phase of the heat and he starts to realize that you're the real deal
  • The higher-ups won't give you the budget to get a better performing car, but Yazaki hooks you up with some tune-up
rtjuyjghjgjt9ih7.png

• You're in the final phase of the heat, and now it is revealed that Shinji had accidentally caused the death of his co-driver Giuliano
  • Shinji wants to redeem himself by fulfilling the Giuliano's dream of winning the RRR Grand Prix
How can you not give it your all after that ? The incredible thing about this is that the main vocal theme that defines the game returns in the final race as a tense remix. It's the racing equivalent of the final boss theme of an evil god in a JRPG. You really feel like you're going through something through the grand prix.

What sells it even more, is that it is the final race of the millennium. It happens on December 31, 1999 at 11:45PM. The end of an era in more ways than one. All of this to make way to a new beginning.

And then you win.

rytutyuuiyf9z.png

I don't care if it's cheesy, I was 120% in.

Here is a recording of the final race, the emulation is pretty much flawless through mednafen, no touch up, this is what the game really looks like:

Not content enough with delivering one of the greatest soundtrack to have ever graced video game music, the race circuits are on another level too. This final race is perfect for a speedway style track where you go pedal to the metal. Only speed matters.

But what truly shines is how gorgeous this track is. The colour composition between the green-tinted spotlights and the tunnel's orange hues is a sight to behold. What really sells this track is how it isn't bogged down by numerous high-rises buildings like modern racing games are want to do. You can see the skyline to infinity from there, the few lights of civilization can be seen from far away, and the few buildings that remains looks like black monoliths. Even in this final race, there is a sense of freedom to be felt in this track.

This game is really something. Even today, I look at this game and can't help but be impressed at what this game is throwing at me. I buy arcade racing games often, but even with all the graphical capabilities at disposal, I can't have this same feeling again. I am not impressed with the lighting in the same way I am impressed with this game, and it's not even close to be dynamic and real-time. It really shows how artists matters, *especially* in an arcade racing game. Namco was at the top of their game. Couldn't have dreamt of a better send-off for the Playstation 1 era.

sfgdfgdfggfs0d84.png

It isn't to sell short Ridge Racer's legacy. Ridge Racer V was an incredible game, the PSP games were awesome, and the PS3 game blew my mind back then. The soundtrack is also always god tier, their music has been undisputed in the racing genre for more than two decades. But Ridge Racer Type-4 feels like the highlight of a specific era without any contest for me.

I also have to share my favourite track of RRT4. Move Me is so wild that I often use it when I play Out Run 2 too. The guitar always hits me like a truck. This track gives out the feels.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Would love to give this a go but the EU PSN version is the 50hz PAL version, so runs slower than intended and for an arcade racer that is unacceptable

Oct 27, 2017
It, along with Outrun, Ridge Racer 2 and Patapon are one of the games that are never deleted from my PSP Go which is always in my pocket for when I want to play something.

ParksCo2

Oct 31, 2017
Amazing, absolutely amazing game. If you have a Vita this is one you can pick up and play today. The genuine and sincere story mode is one for the ages. Gonna play it again today.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
A remake of this on a modern engine would be so good.

ParksCo2

Oct 31, 2017
I often wish Playstation would allow PS1 games to be played on PS4. This gameplay totally holds up, and the graphics still look amazing.

Geeklat

Feb 13, 2018

I remember starting every day before school watching this opening for a couple weeks after this was out.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, someone else who appreciates Move Me for the godlike track it is.

Ridge Racer 8 will surely be epic but I'm not sure anything they could put out will ever top Type 4's soundtrack, stylish UI, story mode, and all-around amazing vibe.

Prophane33

Oct 25, 2017
尾張国
Still my absolute favorite game on PS1 and one of my favorite games of all time. Metal Gear Solid and Gran Turismo 2 are also up there, but nothing appealed to me and keeps me coming back like R4. I not only bought it when it came out (right after playing the demo that had the Edge of the Earth track with "Move Me" (one of the best songs in gaming) playing) , but also re-bought it on both my Japanese and American PSN accounts (though honestly this is mainly due to crappy/no account switching on Vita). This game surprisingly still holds up, and while Ridge Racer V disappointed me at the time (though I hear the graphics were a bit better in the US version compared to the JP one) I eventually learned to love it, it wasn't really comparable. I put a good amount of time into RR6 and 7 but they just never hit me the same way. The 2nd Ridge Racers on PSP was probably the RR to get closest tot he quality of R4. I think its a matter of when rather than IF we get a remake/remaster at some point.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still the best and most memorable racer I've played.

I should really return to it.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
One of the best ever. First racing game I ever got addicted to. I wanted to see every team and story so badly. I wanted to see every vehicles design and feel how they all handled. Everything about the game was unique but polished so damn well.

RRV was one of my most hyped games ever back then. Given I didn't understand console launches at the time, and I did love it for what it was, but it let me down in so many ways. Story, designs, and the new handling. Ridge Racer was never the same. Not bad, just different, with RRT4 being on a different level.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
One of my favorite Ridge Racer games. I liked it, that you had a story mode. Also the new machine get music was awesome. I am sad that Namco never returned to that kind of style.

Newfangled

Oct 28, 2017
One of the best racing games of all time, accurately summarised. An impeccably synergised audiovisual experience. I always hoped RRT4's successors would match up to it, but alas...

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Even the loading screen is great. Sober, stylish, tells you everything you need to know before the race starts.

sqsdfsdfyrfvx.gif

Ah, someone else who appreciates Move Me for the godlike track it is.

Ridge Racer 8 will surely be epic but I'm not sure anything they could put out will ever top Type 4's soundtrack, stylish UI, story mode, and all-around amazing vibe.

Ridge Racer is hitting a slump as a series, but Bamco has been investing a lot into putting quality video games. If they want to revive Ridge Racer now is the time, and they know where to look for inspiration.

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
Would love a remaster of this game, it is my favourite arcade racer of all time.
Never understood the direction Namco went with RR after type 4.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Also this game has better replays than some modern racing games I've played. They really went the extra mile on this game

avfxjl.gif

mxykkt.gif

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Between RRT-4 and Wip3out SE, the arcade games that made me love the playstation brand...gorgeous, thrilling, tough, stylish and more adjectives fall woefully short of them. I would do anything to relive those again for the first time.

Oct 27, 2017
this soundtrack is on my monthly rotation. One of my favorite racing games of all time and I play it once a year. Id love to see the music including in the rumored new Ridge Racer game.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Its style.
1fxOdDf.gif

jVfyCGJ.gif

mpkZz0L.gif

Its power.
r4night6zelc.gif

r4night2ixc42.gif

r4sunset56id5.gif

Your faves can't even.
GlamorousQuarterlyAmericanpainthorse-max-1mb.gif

R4 was the artistic peak of Namco's racing team. Or any of their teams. They were doing some serious flexing.

While I enjoy RRV's racing model a good deal better (and its 60fps framerate), there was something really high class about the presentation and production values of R4 back in 1998. Like you were playing a premium racer of some sort. The graphic designers and artists at Namco went above and beyond.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Its style.

R4 was the artistic peak of Namco's racing team. Or any of their teams. They were doing some serious flexing.

Hell yeah. Art is everything in this game. I absolutely love the way some circuit tracks are connected to each other too. They didn't leave a single thing to chance.

When I think of great UI, RRT4 is it for me. That sense of style in 1999 was a revelation for me.

Oct 30, 2017
r4night2ixc42.gif

as someone who's driven on his share of tokyo elevated highways, this has the same effect on me as hyper-real ghibli depictions of japanese apartments. in many ways it's crude, but it's so perfectly observed. i think of type 4 every time i go into a tunnel!

absolute masterpiece. would love a remaster.

Akasaki

Oct 27, 2017
I still remember playing it as a kid. This was one of those games I could go back and play every single time I was bored because it was always fun. Its artstyle, music and overall presentation was top notch (and it still is to this day). If any game deserves a proper remake is this one.

Icebolts

Dec 18, 2017
Oh, I loved that game, and also did the PRC storyline :) Thanks OP for reminding me about how great of a game it is! Everything is well designed, sleek, without distractions.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have always held up R4 as the finest technical accomplishment on the PSOne. It's also an incredible artistic achievement. Everything is just so right with this game. The use of lighting and color is beautiful. The game plays like a dream. The track designs, the music. It's just so special.

It pains me that this game hasn't gotten a remaster and can't be purchased on any modern consoles. I do fear some other team handling the remaster and screwing up the perfection of the original work, so the perfect remaster package would include the original game exactly as it was, but rendered at a much higher resolution with great anti aliasing.

I also love Ridge 5, and the PSP game, but R4 is the king.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would love to have the chance to play it in a modern console. I'm too lazy to configure a emulator :(

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how you remaster this game and make it right. It'd be probably be a disaster going by how dull Ridge Racer 7 looks.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Weird, I was playing Gran Turismo Sport (Tokyo course) today and thinking how much I'd love a new RR game in the style of Type-4 with the visuals of GTS. Absolutely loved this game.

Hecht

Pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I'm not a huge fan of racing games but something about this one made it so that I couldn't put it down as a kid. So good. Lucid Rhythms is the best song.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game is too good for the Ridge Racer name. I never feel like it gets enough credit. It's up there with GT2 and Wip3out as the best racers on PS1.

I'm secretly hoping that the new Ridge Racer is called Ridge Racer Type 8 or Ridge Racer mk 8

miserable

Oct 27, 2017
The peak of the Playstation. It was love at first sight for me when I saw the first images from the game in GamePro. Everything in his game just oozes style. And the soundtack is godlike.
I know many Ridge Racer purists don't like this game but for me it's the best. I still play it regularly on my Vita (and occasionally on my PS1)

REAL RACING ROOTS '99... IN HELTER SKELTER!

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I still own my PSOne copy of it, though I lost the Instruction Book long ago. (Still got that bonus disk as well.)

And while I love Lucid Rhythms, Naked Glow is my favorite on the soundtrack. The breakdown at 2:28 reminds me so much of Magical Sound Shower from OutRun that it gives me goosebumps.

This soundtrack, coupled with Cowboy Bebop, gave me so many jazz feelings. UGH. Still have both soundtracks on my phone.

Roto64

Oct 27, 2017
So many good memories of this game. The music is phenomenal. Still the best RR game to date. I've always really loved the intro too. It sets a perfect vibe for the rest of the game. The replays were great with the brake trail effect. I'll have to get this for my Vita tonight!

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know how you remaster this game and make it right. It'd be probably be a disaster going by how dull Ridge Racer 7 looks.

literally just the original assets etc in widescreen 1080p with anti-aliasing would be perfect for me.

also make a wireless jogcon.