EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I had a decent time with it. I'll admit I wasn't really there to be challenged by the platforming or combat. I wanted to have a chill experience where you just follow the rhythm of the level layouts and encounters without too much fuss, and just enjoy the story and presentation. I completely understand why someone could be disappointed or get bored of it though. It does have the appearance of a game that would place its accents in different places.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
www.ign.com

Prince of Persia Afterthoughts - IGN

Looking back and reflecting on work done is the key to future success. Now that Prince of Persia has shipped to stores and is in the hands of gamers everywhere, Ubisoft Montreal has taken a step back to reflect on the final product in an interview with IGN. Producer Ben Mattes answered frank...

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I legitimately feel like the largest barrier to me returning to this game is Nolan North's VO. I love Nolan, but his voice just in no way fits the character he's playing.

If someone ever wants to find an actor with a more fitting voice/accent to revoice the character, I'll contribute to your kickstarter.

tiza blanca

May 9, 2020
Yep. Terribly overrated game because of the art direction. The gameplay is just clunky all around, especially the platforming, as you have to jump in the very specific way the game expects you to jump which was annoying as fuck.

Never really understood why people were complaining about 'no fail state' though, since it's basically the same as the traditional checkpoint system but without loading screen.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
It's on rails "platformer" with Simon says contextual elements. It's a masterclass of modern bad video game design. No form follows function, the level design just doesn't make sense. The worst thing is that games generally became better at masking this gameplay loop but it informed so much of modern game design in my eyes. I hate it.

creative direction is amazing though.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Totally agree. Uninteresting game design that stays at the same level of automation and boringness for the entire game. No curve.

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
I really liked the artstyle and the soundtrack. I could never complete the game due to a game breaking glitch, however.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's a good game, with gorgeous art direction and surprisingly well writing main two characters and their dynamic

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I was disappointed by this game back then. I don't like it. Didn't have what made me like sands of time.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
The Elika thing, about her saving you - the devs said in interviews that this was done so that you don't go back to a loading screen while keeping it consistent with her abilities and story. It's no different that going to a loading screen and reloading the last checkpoint.
This. I never understood the aversion to it. People didn't mind instant respawns in Super Meat Boy but contextualize and apply the same here and suddenly "you can't die"

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
Elika saving you really paid off for one part of the game in particular, which put a big smile on my face :)

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
I love it for the very same reason OP seems to hate it. I don't like platformers and I usually avoid them, but PoP2008 is more like a simple rhythm game dressed up like a platformer. There's no skill required, just press a button every now and then and enjoy the spectacle.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
THANK YOU.

I recently played the game and felt the same.

It's generic Ubisoft game design, with awful combat; poor, repetitive level design; a boring game loop; poor controls and platforming; etc.

I absolutely hated this game.

shinespark

Oct 25, 2017
PoP 2008 has one of my least favorite hub-and-spoke world designs of all time, it's truly atrocious. Having all 4 bosses available to the player at the start, and only having to clear 4 short levels on the path to each boss, means that there's almost zero time to build up a proper difficulty curve.

Any path you take from the central temple to a boss has to function simultaneously as the very first path you might take or the very last, so once you've cleared your first 4 levels you've seen the entire scope of challenge on offer for the remaining 16.

STrx7sv.jpg

The game tries to compensate for its flat design by activating one new type of environmental trap for each boss you take down, but it takes all of five seconds to figure these out when they first come up, and then it's straight back to the same dull combat and platforming as before.

Last edited:

HeyYo

May 10, 2020
I really liked it as a sort of "relaxed adventure". I still think it looks awesome and I got invested in the characters, but I'm still salty af about the double cliffhanger ending (original and then DLC). It really prevents the experience from feeling "complete".

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
I think four hubs was one too many. The Alchemist and The Concubine are distinct characters but I think the Warrior and the Hunter could have been combined into one along with their respective hubs. Maybe they were worried about people thinking the game was too long but I think it ended up having the opposite effect of some people getting bored by the end.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer - Powered by Friendship™
Oct 27, 2017
Selling the ending as DLC was garbage. And neither were good endings anyway.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Weak gameplay but the art and story were fantastic, so I have no regrets playing it.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It was a terrible game, I tried after hearing so much hyping on the old place, and found it a terrible iteration of a PoP game.
The "no death" mechanic on a platform game like the traditional PoP games is AWFUL.

Serpico99

Oct 29, 2017
NYC
I remember really enjoying it. I liked the story and chemistry between the characters; however, it has probably aged badly.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Can't agree with you OP. It is my favorite Prince of Persia (WW is also in my top 3. Guess I'm the wrong one then). The Prince is charming and his banter with Elika is hilarious.

Sure, gameplay is quite easy, but the platforming isn't bad. SoT trilogy and FS are better in this regard, but 2008 isn't bad.

About combat... Sorry, but I disagree. While it is a downgrade coming from WW and T2T, this is way better than SoT and FS. The combo system means you have more options to play instead of just smashing one or two buttons like FS or SoT.

Light Seeds aren't a real problem though. For advance you should get enough easily to open new areas. Can't comment if you want to collect them all, though.

Sorry, but not sorry: PoP is one of the most unique in the entire franchise, and even to this day, it still holds well.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Felt like it was trying to go for a Team ICO kind of experience. It's an interesting game for sure, presentation and story are great, and I actually dug the chill rhythmic platforming. Combat was awful though, really messed with the flow.