• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
It's rrtg because my first taste of this certainly was not party.

I put a bit of time into this 5 years ago and dropped it so I decided to give it another shake to see if it clicks. Not hopeful though.

First off, I'm wondering why they gave me "control" of the camera with 4 presets when the game actively fights me with what I can do with the camera. Like why was this done? Sometimes I can't move it at all, and the other times the game is moving the camera while I am, almost always in the opposite direction of where I wanted to be looking. Why not just have it 100% computer controlled when they obviously don't want me to be moving it?

I'm not that far in this time yet, still in the first area, skipping the seemingly unending cutscenes that aren't adding much (but I still kind of remember what was happening anyway, will stop skipping once I get to new stuff) but the battle system is at this point incredibly boring, which is no shocker as I don't have anything unlocked, but still scratching my head why they would make the game this uninteresting to start.

Will press on, maybe update but really made this to bitch about the camera most of all at this point in my playthrough.

Dec 14, 2017
You mean the camera outside of battle? First time I'm seeing someone with it being a major issue. For the most part the areas are so simple you don't need to really look around to discover where to go or anything.

OP
OP
Anustart

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
You mean the camera outside of battle? First time I'm seeing someone with it being a major issue. For the most part the areas are so simple you don't need to really look around to discover where to go or anything.

They are incredibly simple areas, that's true. Why even implement a player controlled camera though when they made it this way? You cannot look anywhere basically. Want to look behind you? You have to turn around and start running that way instead of just swinging the camera. Seems extremely silly.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
They are incredibly simple areas, that's true. Why even implement a player controlled camera though when they made it this way? You cannot look anywhere basically. Want to look behind you? You have to turn around and start running that way instead of just swinging the camera. Seems extremely silly.

This doesn't sound familiar at all...

Are you playing on PC? Maybe your mouse or controller setup is messing with it? FFXIII's camera is completely normal (besides that the character is always slightly off center, if I recall correctly). You should be able to flip it around and look behind you/at your character's face just fine.

I think camera control is also pretty limited vertically (e.g. you can't go right above or below your character), but swinging it around horizontally shouldn't present any issues.

Uzuki

Oct 27, 2017
United States
This doesn't sound familiar at all...

Are you playing on PC? Maybe your mouse or controller setup is messing with it? FFXIII's camera is completely normal (besides that the character is always slightly off center, if I recall correctly). You should be able to flip it around and look behind you/at your character's face just fine.

I think camera control is also pretty limited vertically (e.g. you can't go right above or below your character), but swinging it around horizontally shouldn't present any issues.

Nah, I can attest to this seeing as I'm playing on the Xbox. The camera is a hassle to control if you want to look around while moving or you're in an area that's suppose to have more cinematic overshot or something and it'll fight you to reset to that position.

As for the battle system get used to it, because it only becomes decent when you have 3 party members and you get a full party about 15 hours in outside of occasional story encounter. Don't pick your skills unless you have a top priority state ailment you need to get rid of otherwise enemies will wipe the floor with you and you won't get perfect ranks. You're job is to hit auto-battle and switch roles when necessary. Also look up a guide with how weapon upgrading works. he game does a poor job of telling you that you won't get a lot of weapons and you need to upgrade weapons and accessories to make them stronger. Use organic material (Fangs, shells, hides/skins) to build up the multiplier and then when it's 2x or 3x use mechanical material to get big points and level up the equipment. Once it has a star instead of a level number, you use a special material to upgrade it to a better form.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Of all the complaints I've heard about FFXIII, the camera has never been one of them.

I honestly can't think of what the OP Is referring to and I've played the game multiple times through.

Not having the option to lock the radar was frustrating but that's different (and was fixed in XIII-2).

Oct 31, 2017
Maybe my opinion will change! I'll give it a fair shot. Last time I played I can't remember how far I got, maybe some ice area or something.
tenor.gif

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
To help with the battle system, go into the menu and turn off auto battle. It's only useful for grinding. Try selecting your attacks from the menu like older FF games. But eventually you will have access to the paradigm shift system and it will become more interesting.

As for the camera, I've never heard of that happening. I played on ps3 and had no issues looking around or following the action. Sorry that is distracting you from enjoying it.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe my opinion will change! I'll give it a fair shot. Last time I played I can't remember how far I got, maybe some ice area or something.

Doubtful it's not just a bad final fantasy it's a bad game in general. The battle system is awful.

The story is terrible and then some serious Deus Ex machina happens at the end of the game.

OP
OP
Anustart

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Doubtful it's not just a bad final fantasy it's a bad game in general. The battle system is awful.

The story is terrible and then some serious Deus Ex machina happens at the end of the game.

Yeah, my previous time with the game I had some choice thoughts on the battle system lol.

Trying to be more positive and open minded so we'll see. Just kind of miss FF as I haven't enjoyed once since 12.

headfallsoff

Mar 16, 2018
I'm a big defender and came into this thread ready to argue lol but no you're 100% right the game would be better with a locked camera, something more akin to 10's. I palyed a little on my new xbox and while the frame rate is locked perfectly to 30 it still feels juddery in a way that 10 doesn't, a game at the same frame rate but with a camera that doesn't swim about awkwardly constantly. I think even the most ardented 13 fan would be willing to admit the camera kinda sucks.

Anyway you're early days and yeah it's a slow start so none of your complaints are that wild or wrong. I hope you warm up to it later as the battle system slowly starts letting you do anything lmao.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
One of the best battle systems in the series.

I would love to see a future FF go back to something like this. I know that's doubtful though.

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
It's a great game to play for its music, art direction and characters, but I wouldn't expect it to "open up" or the gameplay to get anywhere close to good. Gameplay will be kinda good at best, when paradigm shifts start taking center stage in your inputs.

Having said that, I love this game and you should give it another try indeed. If it doesn't work, it's alright too lol I still can't get past the beginning of FFX having tried 5x, I'm absolutely cursed.

Oct 31, 2017

The battle system is fantastic lol it might just not be your cup of tea

And while the story has its faults, the ending being one (which I agree is terribly written), I thoroughly enjoyed a majority of it and couldn't get enough of the world and lore.

"it's a bad game" yeah lol to you

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

The battle system is fantastic and it is not a bad game at all.

And the story is good as well, especially the characters. People give XIII way more shit than it deserves.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The cast fucking sucks, and it's the worst mainline FF (one of two I'd consider below a 5/10 or 'bad'). The building moment shared between Hope and Snow is unfortunately permanently seared into my memory.

... I'd recommend XIII-2 though.

Last edited:

ShimmyShakes

Nov 1, 2017
Having tried to get into FFXIII a couple of times myself, I know exactly what you mean with the camera. There's something about it that makes me feel like I'll have proper control a la FFXII, but it's actually extremely limited. Given that the areas are basically corridors, I don't understand the point of having manual control at all.

I really like the battle system, but I agree - the game is just way too repetitive at the beginning. Once you've had a few practice battles with a new feature, they should introduce the next one. Instead, you repeat the same battles over and over, and it gets super boring.

The characters are singularly awful, unfortunately. I think the general plot is cool (even if you have to read the datalog to have any idea what's going on), but jfc having Lightning, Hope, Snow, and Vanille in the same game? What on earth were they thinking having that many insufferable characters? Only Sazh is tolerable, I feel sorry for the dude being stuck on an adventure with the rest of them lol.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Id be really excited for a remaster of FFXIII because SE usually make changes for the better with their remasters.

But XIII has just too much wrong with it. It's not completely unenjoyable...but it's not very good either.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
I played through it last year and still enjoyed it. The combat is solid, and the characters aren't as terrible as people hate make them out to be.

The story can be a bit hard to follow, but skipping the cutscenes isn't going to make it any better.

Zen_Master

Nov 15, 2020
I recently continued my playthrough in FFXIII and had issues with the camera getting stuck on PC with an Xbox Series X controller. Are you using Steam? Forcing Steam input to be enabled in the game properties fixed my issues.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
im actually on a new playthrough of this too, and I am enjoying more than I would have thought. I also modded the pc version to be harder, which is fun. And I am fully intending to skip the endgame grind for ultimate weapons via cheat engine. sue me.

but yeah, those first few areas where you dont have any abilities really sucked.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
How far in before it opens up and gets good?

You slowly unlock more classes, characters, and paradigm shifts. The slow start is probably the single biggest flaw of the game.

It's hard for me to put a number on it because i enjoyed the entire game, but if you get about 6-8 hours in and the game still hasn't peaked your interest i doubt you'll ever like it.