• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
rpgamer.com

RPGamer's RPGs of the Decade: Introduction - RPGamer

RPGamer is pleased to reveal that we will be presenting celebratory posts for our favourite RPGs from the previous decade over the next five days. Here are some details on what to expect.

The List:
Tier 3:
Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk
Atelier Totori: The Adventurer of Arland
Bloodborne
Child of Light
Diablo 3
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dragon Quest Builders 2
Fallout 4
Final Fantasy XV
Fire Emblem: Shadows of Valentia
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Pokemon Black & White
Pokemon Sun & Moon
Radiant History (and Perfect Chronology)
SaGa Scarlet Grace: Ambitions
Trails in the Sky
Trails of Cold Steel
Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Zelda: Link's Awakening
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
Undertale
Yakuza 0
Ys 8: Lacrimosa of Dana

Tier 2:
Bastion
Bravely Default
Bravely Second
Disco Elysium
Dragon's Dogma (and Dark Arisen)
Fallout: New Vegas
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Monster Hunter: World
NieR
NieR: Automata
Octopath Traveler
The Banner Saga
Trails in the Sky Second Chapter
Trails of Cold Steel 3
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (and Torna)

Top 10:
10. Horizon Zero Dawn
9. Fire Emblem Awakening
8. Dark Souls
7. Final Fantasy 14
6. Persona 5
5. Xenoblade Chronicles
4. Mass Effect 2
3. Witcher 3
2. Zelda: Breath of the Wild
1. Dragon Quest 11

At the link, there's an explanation of their process, write-ups for each game, along with over a dozen lists from individual staff members that go into more details.

EDIT: Sorry, I messed up the ranking. There's a Tier 3 (rank 26-50), Tier 2 (rank 11-25), and a top 10. Within ranks, the titles are listed alphabetically and not rank by rank.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i predict 30 pages of heated debate over choice number 11

solid n°1. good to see some XIV recognition. BOTW isnt really an RPG tho. also, three houses > awakening. Nier A too low

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade at 5, xenoblade 2 at 11

I'll allow it

X didnt make it seemingly :(

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
44. Divinity: Original Sin 2
1. Dragon Quest 11

One is the defacto best cRPG in the past 20 years, the other is a generic, trope-infested snorefest that does absolutely NOTHING new. Ok, so this is what a virtual circus looks like.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure I agree with some of the Zelda games as RPGs, but that's just me.

Man, I probably need to try DQXI again. Couldnt get into it twice already.

Oct 25, 2017
Smh at number 1. It's the only game in like the top 20 that is decent at a lot of things, but not really excellent in any department.

Nov 8, 2017
Inb4 hundreds of people complaining about ME2's ranking, haha.

Top X lists are always going to be controversial tbh, because the only thing everyone can agree on is that it's not their exact list.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I can't take this seriously with Awakening in the top 10

RPGFan should make one too so we can compare

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't really consider some of those rpgs but whatever. Good list of games.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
Nice to see so much Trails up there, but feels like 3rd was hard-done by. Haven't played Steel 3 yet but it ranking that highly has me pumped!

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
an... interesting list. Disco Elysium being so far from the top 10 is fucking nuts but im glad to see it on there at all, i guess.

OP
OP
werezompire

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
the other is a generic, trope-infested snorefest that does absolutely NOTHING new

There's something to be said for doing established things extremely well and that's the Dragon Quest series MO. Also, I wouldn't say absolutely nothing new - I've never seen another JRPG take Dragon Quest XI's approach to difficulty (rather than a simple Hard/Normal/Easy choice, you select modifiers to the gameplay).

Deleted member 58401

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 7, 2019
Dragon Quest was fine, but it could have existed 30 years ago. Which is okay, definitely. But weird to see it so highly rewarded for breaking no ground compared to almost everything else on the list.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Most of these games aren't even RPGs. The genre is do broad at this point almost anything applies.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine calling yourself RPGamer and then putting Fallout 4 above freaking Divinity: OS2 and just not including Pillars of Eternity at all.

And Horizon: Zero Dawn (which isn't even an RPG) above Fallout: New Vegas, Undertale, Disco Elysium and Divinity: OS2.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Looking at #1, then seeing where Disco and OS2 are...

Geez this list is disappointing.

Fallout 4? Above Pillars, Tyranny, Pathfinder, AND OS2? C'mon son.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
  • Sun and Moon over Black and White
  • Xenoblade 2 on the list
  • Awakening in the top 10
Yeah, this is a terrible list. Awakening (mediocre in everything) and Xenoblade 2 (passable in some aspects, godawful in others) are particularly egregious as there is no aspect of either game that is strong enough to warrant consideration on a best RPGs list.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Weird list. Do not jive with a lot of it.

The only thing that offends me are the Atelier games on there. I played Totori and thought it was one of the worst RPGs I had ever played.

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
This is such a weird list...

Disco Elysium should at least be in the top ten and that divinity placement lol......

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Why is SM even on the list?

Three Houses should be higher than Awakening.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
That's a... List for sure. Well, as always, I really only check these lists for stuff I've missed, but unfortunately there's nothing new there. SaGa SG is the only one on the list I have yet to play, but I've known about it since it came out and am definitely planning on checking it out at some point.

There's something to be said for doing established things extremely well and that's the Dragon Quest series MO. Also, I wouldn't say absolutely nothing new - I've never seen another JRPG take Dragon Quest XI's approach to difficulty (rather than a simple Hard/Normal/Easy choice, you select modifiers to the gameplay).

Xenoblade 2 has that, and it's much more in-depth than DQXI's draconian challenges (or whatever they were called, again). I do wish more games had adjustable "custom" difficulty levels like that though, it's a really cool feature.

OP
OP
werezompire

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Keep in mind that this is the composite list of a lot of people so more widely played games (like Fallout 4) have an inherent advantage.

Not eligible by their criteria (ports & enhanced remasters not eligible). Has to be a full-blown remake to be eligible.

Rob2K19

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How is Kingdom Hearts (BBS or 3) not in this list? They really chose FFXV, Atelier, Child of Light, etc. over it. El oh El

OP
OP
werezompire

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Xenoblade 2 has that, and it's much more in-depth than DQXI's draconian challenges (or whatever they were called, again). I do wish more games had adjustable "custom" difficulty levels like that though, it's a really cool feature.

I only played a few hours of Xenoblade 2 before deciding it wasn't for me, but I don't remember that at all. How does it work in Xenoblade 2?

Gale Moran

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
DQXI shouldn't even be on the list, it's terrible. Apart from that I don't know what Zelda and Monster hunter is doing in an RPG list, especially monster hunter is as much of an RPG as COD is.