Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
starwars5669d2b24b28dW.jpg

Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy may well be the most powerful woman in Hollywood, and she's hardly a newcomer to the world of blockbusters, serving as Steven Spielberg's producer since 1982's E.T. That partnership extended to Spielberg's collaborations on the Indiana Jones movies with George Lucas, who anointed Kennedy as his successor in 2012 as he negotiated a sale to Disney. As guardian of the Star Wars universe, Kennedy has needed every ounce of her experience, never hesitating to swap out creative teams, even mid-movie when necessary, as on 2018's commercial disappointment Solo. In October, two weeks before Game of Thrones' David Benioff and D.B. Weiss pulled out of a year-old deal to develop a new Star Wars trilogy, Kennedy called Rolling Stone to discuss December 20th's Star Wars: Episode IX — The Rise of Skywalker, and a post-Skywalker-saga cinematic future for the franchise that remains wide open, even as Last Jedi director Rian Johnson and Marvel's Kevin Feige develop potential films.

What strikes you about how [J.J.] and his co-screenwriter Chris Terrio did manage to crack the nut for [TROS]?
Chris is a very, very thoughtful, intelligent guy that J.J. chose and we all got to know. And again, it went through much of what we often go through, which is endless discussion, lots of artwork. Luckily, J.J. had already been into a pretty deep dive before he was doing Force Awakens and during the process of that movie — it's almost like an education of getting acquainted with all aspects of Star Wars. Not only just looking at the movies but talking to the number of people that are still around that worked with George for years, understanding the mythology that he created. One of the things we talk about all the time is the fact that it was very important to George that these stories really meant something, that they have something to say, and that they have a real emotional core. So we spend a lot of time talking about that and trying to find the spine of a story that feels satisfying.

Rian Johnson made some controversial choices in Episode VIII — The Last Jedi. Especially considering its dramatic purpose as the second movie in the trilogy, were you, to an extent, deliberately setting out to challenge fans and their expectations?
We definitely did. We're talking all the time about how we move Star Wars forward and how we keep it relevant. Obviously, we don't want to just keep making the same movie over and over again. So I agree with you. I mean, I love what Rian did. It's an absolutely wonderful movie. I think he's an extraordinary filmmaker. And I really appreciated the bold moves that he did make. I think people forget that, especially when you're doing a trilogy structure, the first movie is setting things up, the second is usually the conflict, and the third is the resolution. So you're bound to have that second movie, much the same way Empire Strikes Back was probably the darkest and most dramatic of the three. We talked about it with Indiana Jones! You know, we did Raiders of the Ark and then we did Temple of Doom, which was dark and created a lot of controversy, and people were surprised at where it went with the storytelling, but, frankly, that's the whole point!

I love that we have these amazingly passionate fans who care so much. And I know sometimes they may think we don't listen, but we do, and I thought it was fantastic that people got that engaged. It just showed me and everybody else how much they care. And that's important for all of us that are doing this. We really look at them as the custodians of this story as much as [we are]. We look at it as kind of a partnership.

Certainly whatever movie comes after this, if it's unconnected to the Skywalker saga, that's one of the biggest challenges in the history of the franchise. Until now, pretty much everything has been in some ways connected to the original story. What are your thoughts on that?
It's an incredible challenge, and it is something that we're in the middle of, and I can't even begin to tell you where this may end up, because I think you are absolutely right. I think whatever this next movie is, and how it begins to define a new way forward, it's something we want to take plenty of time and plenty of conversation and careful thought before deciding exactly what we're going to do.

So you truly haven't yet decided what's next?
No. We've got various things things we're looking at and various ways in which we can begin or not. As you can imagine. You know, do you go back? Do you go forward? All those questions are being asked. Do we stay in this galaxy? Do we go to another? The universe is never-ending. [Laughs.] The good news and the bad news. They have endless possibilities. It's liberating, it's exciting, and it creates a lot of pressure and anxiety as well.

How did Marvel's Kevin Feige come into the mix?
Kevin has been a huge fan of Star Wars, and he's made that pretty clear. And I think when he went off to do a couple of the Spider Man movies, he realized that he could kind of step in and out of what he's doing specifically with just Marvel. He talked to us, and he talked to the studio and said, you know, "Is there any chance I could step in and do one of the Star Wars movies?" And I thought it was a pretty cool idea. So we're just beginning to talk about what that might be and when that might be. But it's a way's off.

More (including her discussing Lucas's criticism of the new movies) at the link

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Queen of Star Wars.

She's going to be what keeps my all-time favorite fictional world alive well into my grandkids' time (as long as the planet survives that long...).

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
So sounds like they are kind of paralyzed by the challenge of what comes next --which makes sense. I don't mind enjoying Obi-Wan and Mandalorian while hunger for a big event film builds over the years.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
I'm not a fan of Feige doing a Star Wars movie. Can the Marvel formula just stick to Marvel please? We already get enough of it and I'm not confident that he's going to go a different route with Star Wars.

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
We definitely did. We're talking all the time about how we move Star Wars forward and how we keep it relevant. Obviously, we don't want to just keep making the same movie over and over again. So I agree with you. I mean, I love what Rian did. It's an absolutely wonderful movie. I think he's an extraordinary filmmaker. And I really appreciated the bold moves that he did make. I think people forget that, especially when you're doing a trilogy structure, the first movie is setting things up, the second is usually the conflict, and the third is the resolution. So you're bound to have that second movie, much the same way Empire Strikes Back was probably the darkest and most dramatic of the three. We talked about it with Indiana Jones! You know, we did Raiders of the Ark and then we did Temple of Doom, which was dark and created a lot of controversy, and people were surprised at where it went with the storytelling, but, frankly, that's the whole point!

I know it's 99% PR but I really, really like this stance.

Skyejack

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Comparing Jedi to Temple of Doom is fitting considering they'e both crap.

Juice

Dec 28, 2017
Masterful interview by Kennedy. Giving an interview and coming out looking this good is a testament to her intelligence, savvy, and forethought. Gives me hope about her handling the franchise tbh

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Comparing Jedi to Temple of Doom is fitting considering they'e both crap.

Yeah that stuck out to me too. I mean sure many people really liked TLJ but for me it was one of the worst Star Wars movies ever made, and she talks about it like it was a good thing just like Temple of Doom?

My problem with her is that she seems to not have a clear vision of where the franchise is going, even from movie to movie. And in my opinion it shows. But that's my opinion, I know many fans like what she's done so maybe I'm just not as into Star Wars as I used to be.

Of course, The Mandalorian has me more excited about Star Wars than I've been in the past few decades, soooo........

Skyejack

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Yeah that stuck out to me too. I mean sure many people really liked TLJ but for me it was one of the worst Star Wars movies ever made, and she talks about it like it was a good thing just like Temple of Doom?

My problem with her is that she seems to not have a clear vision of where the franchise is going, even from movie to movie. And in my opinion it shows. But that's my opinion, I know many fans like what she's done so maybe I'm just not as into Star Wars as I used to be.

Of course, The Mandalorian has me more excited about Star Wars than I've been in the past few decades, soooo........
Their simplistic way of thinking appears to be that in a trilogy the second movie should be dark because...people loved Empire. But people loved Empire not because it was dark, but because it was awesome and also happened to be dark.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Feige Star Wars is going to be so damn hype, I can't wait
Doesn't sound like it'll be the next movie though, given her "it's a ways off" comment.

Their simplistic way of thinking appears to be that in a trilogy the second movie should be dark because...people loved Empire. But people loved Empire not because it was dark, but because it was awesome and also happened to be dark.
Not that the second movie in a trilogy should be dark because that's a prerequisite for sequels, but that -- in the overarching narrative of the three movies, if you take movie 1 as the beginning, movie 2 as the middle, and movie 3 as the end -- the second film comes with the most wrenching conflict. And with that inevitably comes a darker story. Of course not every trilogy needs to be structured that way.

(also people DID love Empire especially because it was darker. Of course they also didn't like Empire at the time because it was dark, and the appreciation for its darker turn came later...)

Oct 31, 2017
I think she probably knows, and probably knows the role of a producer and the relationships between studios and ownership of IP better than you.

Sony, dude.

Trying to Ackchyally Kathleen Kennedy and then forgetting such an important detail about the MCU/Sony Spider-Man films, come on.

No she definitely has no idea and she's definitely not talking about how Feige went down to Sony's production

I didn't know KK had a defense force. If she wanted to say what you guys are inferring then she should have said what you guys are inferring.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017

Way to remove all the context of the quote and have your only takeaway be "dark=second movie"

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know KK had a defense force. If she wanted to say what you guys are inferring then she should have said what you guys are inferring.
What she said is exactly how it works: the Spider-Man movies are Sony films that Marvel co-produces. Feige has to work with another studio, outside of Marvel, in making them and is not the only producer calling the shots on them. It would be a similar dynamic with making a Star Wars movie with Lucasfilm. That's why she cited Spider-Man!

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
What she said is exactly how it works: the Spider-Man movies are Sony films that Marvel co-produces. Feige has to work with another studio, outside of Marvel, in making them and is not the only producer calling the shots on them. It would be a similar dynamic with making a Star Wars movie with Lucasfilm. That's why she cited Spider-Man!
This is so confusing! ENGLISH PLEASE

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
I think people forget that, especially when you're doing a trilogy structure, the first movie is setting things up, the second is usually the conflict, and the third is the resolution. So you're bound to have that second movie, much the same way Empire Strikes Back was probably the darkest and most dramatic of the three.
This part is particularly interesting:

*One of the main criticism of TFA, is that it did the absolute minimum to setup what's the current state, Galaxy wise.
*Before the trailer for 9 appeared, you could really say that TLJ essentially solved half of the conflict: Luke/Snoke are dead, Rey and Kylo still at it.
*Again, Palpatine (the actual conflict) ended up being revealed in a trailer -- of all things. And so, it would be fair to say that 95% of the setup was done in the previous trilogies, and the rest retroactively hooked to the current one via Vader's helmet (ghost whispering to Kylo) and Rey's origin (that will matter now).

So, structurally wise, this trilogy is nothing like she describes it.

The fact that -- even after all these years --, still have no clear plan on where to take SW next, is pretty telling.
If Disney really believes that Rian's was the right approach, it's unclear why they made a swerve back to good 'ol Emperor. And more importantly, why Rian is not calling the shots for the next adventures.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Not like she could say "Yeah, he really threw everything out of whack and we were scrambling to pull this last one out of our asses."
You can't be this dense. Do you think she didn't read RJ's script before greenlighting production?

Do you think as the studio head she popped in for a screening of the final cut and was surprised at everything that was in the movie?

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
The Temple of Doom comparison doesn't make sense for the simple fact the Indiana Jones films weren't serialized stories that built directly off of what the prior film did. They were all individual self contained stories that had little cross over outside the main character having archeological adventures in foreign lands.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

she did. She was referring to marvel as the studio. It is a separate entity from "Marvel Universe " and "MCU" is a line of product Marvel Studios produces. Not sure why you're doubling down on this let alone why you're trying to insist she has no idea what's going on.

Oct 26, 2017
Sony, dude.

Trying to Ackchyally Kathleen Kennedy and then forgetting such an important detail about the MCU/Sony Spider-Man films, come on.
I think she probably knows, and probably knows the role of a producer and the relationships between studios and ownership of IP better than you.
No she definitely has no idea and she's definitely not talking about how Feige went down to Sony's production

You're fighting a losing battle here. People who hate KK are going to find any little thing they can to shit on her.

If she had named Sony in her statement, he'd say "Why is she talking about video games? Feige had nothing to do with the PS4 Spidey game. Burn her!"

And if you point out that she was obviously talking about Sony Pictures, he'd say "Then why didn't she just say that instead of just saying 'Sony'? Doesn't she know that Sony does more than make movies? How am I supposed to know she's not talking about SCEA or Sony Handicam or Sony TVs? Did Feige build some TVs for Sony, Kathleen?? DID HEEEE???????"

You ain't gonna win cuz there's no contest here. Just someone sitting in the stands throwing shit.