R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
Well that's good for him.

Gears 5 was bad though so I'm hoping this will make Gears 6 decent.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
eh. the last two gear imo have been so-so. whether that's rod's fault who knows.

too be fair imo they've all been so-so after 1. franchise is tired.

Gears is stale but Rod took a brand new studio and managed to get them to put out 5 titles in 6 years (Gears Ultimate, Gears 4, Gears 5, Gears Tactics and Gears Pop!).

That's an incredibly high level of output for a smallish AAA studio.

For example, Naughty Dog has 1.5x the amount of employees and has basically released 2 (UCC, UC4) games in that time. Halo has more than double the amount of employees and has released exactly 2 (Halo 5,MCC) games in that time period.

And those are pre-established studios that already had games in development before Rod took over.

He gets shit done, always has.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably Ybarra dragging him there to clean up the mess that is Blizzard right now. It's not the first time for Rod Ferguson doing something like this. Last time he left Epic to rescue the Bioshock Infinite stuck in dev hell. I don't feel so good about Diablo 4 right now. Probably somebody there left too.

Nov 5, 2017
Gears is stale but Rod took a brand new studio and managed to get them to put out 5 titles in 6 years (Gears Ultimate, Gears 4, Gears 5, Gears Tactics and Gears Pop!).

For example, Naughty Dog has 1.5x the amount of employees and has basically released 2 (UCC, UC4) games in that time. Halo has more than double the amount of employees and has released exactly 2 (Halo 5,MCC) games in that time period.

And those are pre-established studios that already had games in development before Rod took over.

Quality over quantity my friend...

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have a strong connection to Blizzard, they were a big part of my childhood. Met my best friend through Warcraft 2 in second grade. I'm glad to see them adding a smart, thoughtful guy like Rod to the team.

Oct 26, 2017
you are asking for a game set in the Gears of War world and yet saying that same world would somehow be more fascinating than the....same Gears of War world.
Gears of war world does not equal the linear game world. its the setting I want to explore

gears 5 semi open world and level system with jack was dabbling its toes.

I would like for a full fledged swan dive into a 3rd person RPG set in gears with its mechanics.

* start as a stranded with no equipment, level up and as you progress the story, that determins if you stay a stranded, become a cog, or become a swarm/locust

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Diablo 4 looks fantastic so having someone this experienced join that team can only help even further.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely with you there. Just based on the past 6 months or so with Gears 5 it definitely seems like the studio needs better leadership.

Maybe it's less to do with Rod and more to do with Microsoft and creative decisions?

I really enjoyed Gears 5, but I tapped out during the 2nd Tour of Duty and the monetisation/grind aspects were pretty brutal.

Oct 26, 2017
Days Gone in Gears world

s-l1600.jpg
I would say.

Merge Days Gone with Metro Exodus and add a leveling RPG choice/interaction system and peoples minds would implode. it would be a gold standard.

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
The "get shit done" man is leaving The Coalition, its sad, who will take his place? man shipped Bioshock Infinite, Gears UE, Gears 4 and Gears 5 in 6 years, i can't think of a replacement.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
good for him, time to take a step back and not do Gears. Not thrilled about him joining Blizzard but I wish him the best

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Maybe it's less to do with Rod and more to do with Microsoft and creative decisions?

I really enjoyed Gears 5, but I tapped out during the 2nd Tour of Duty and the monetisation/grind aspects were pretty brutal.

It's possible, sure, but there are other first party titles that released around the same time that don't have anywhere near the issues that Gears 5 does. I don't think it is/was just a Rod problem but watching the studio fail to communicate effectively among themselves let alone with the community just makes it seem like the leadership in TC isn't doing the greatest job.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rod's got to be one of the best studio heads in the industry. He's great at getting high quality games shipped in a timely manner (something that could surely be beneficial to Diablo team.) As for the Coalition, I'm sure they'll be fine. They have a strong foundation to build on for the future of Gears.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Perhaps a fresh perspective will bring the franchise to the modern era when approaching storytelling, pacing and universe expansion. He even admitted that his lens is a bit narrow and wants other to bring in more than what he is capable of.

so i imagine mike texted him "come over man, lets get diablo done,. you're the guy for the job"

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Happy for Rod, but maybe now we can have someone step up who doesn't play it safe. JJ abrams though was badly needed at diablo, maybe we now can get our Rian Johnson for gears!

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps a fresh perspective will bring the franchise to the modern era when approaching storytelling, pacing and universe expansion. He even admitted that his lens is a bit narrow and wants other to bring in more than what he is capable of.

They'd be better off working on something else for a while and letting the IP lie fallow. It's the best way to have fertile ground in the future.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
There will be a Gears 6. I'm sure there are other people at TC who are ready to take up the position. Or MS gets someone from outside.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, the last Gears was dope too so this will be interesting for the series.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017

Wat. The Coalition didn't even develop 2 or 3 of those games, so that's a meaningless number and comparison (plus UCC and MCC were collections of multiple games). It's like saying Sony Santa Monica has released 9 games this gen when 8 of those were via their external development team.

Anyway, this sounds like a big step up so good for him. Blizzard are in a really weird spot right now though.