• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I made this comment awhile back when we talked about the DF thread on it's graphics. I asked what kind of sorcery did they use to pull that off as no other implementation was good enough to run that AO during a dynamic time of day. You can observe all the games before it.. GoW, H:ZD, TR, you name it. None could do AO quite like R*. In short, it was probably done on purpose for whatever logical reason. Let's just accept it like we did Witcher 3.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
well then why you wanted native 1080p anyway?
I have a 1080p TV so 1080p resolution FTW, played the whole game like that, it was super crispy... 4K are so useless.

Actually the toned down AO is there since Day One... I explained it here, I asked mods to fix the title but the ymisinterpreted and changed to 1.03, when it's there since 1.02 (aka day one patch -actually released weeks before the game was even launched-).
4K output but rendered at 1080p is fine, 1080p on a 4K TV will be blurry.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
So what came out of this? If it's a bug, has it been fixed yet?.
Nope, not a bug, AO got downgraded since patch 1.03 for performanc purpose.
Other downgrades has been noted like lower texture resolution/shadows and much more pop-in with recent updates (I started noticing huge pop-in/model changes with 1.06, then stopped playing cause I finished the game).
The downgrades at this point are mainly for let the Online runs better.

So yeah, that's it. Sadly Digital Foundry (which has done videos on the better version - 1.02 -) or other sites have to much stuff to do to investigate this further.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Other downgrades has been noted like lower texture resolution/shadows and much more pop-in with recent updates (I started noticing huge pop-in/model changes with 1.06, then stopped playing cause I finished the game).

So yeah, that's it. Sadly Digital Foundry (which has done videos on the better version - 1.02 -) or other sites have to much stuff to do to investigate this further.
Wow that sucks. I was planning on buying this on physical later on. Will I miss out anything by not upgrading at all and leaving it at 1.0?

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Wow that sucks. I was planning on buying this on physical later on. Will I miss out anything by not upgrading at all and leaving it at 1.0?
You have better graphic but worse framerate and quite a lot of bugs.
At this point, if you really care about the changes, you can wait the PC version or an eventual PS5/X2 patched version.

For my taste I would prefer to play the patched version, I actually started playing by 1.03 and didn't know about the downgrade and the graphic is great anyway.
I only sufferend the pop-in on later patches, don't know how the game is now... it's a tricky situation sadly, typical R*.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017

Guess I'll just wait then, I don't have any urge to play it.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

Lower texture and shadows seem a news to me. I surely noticed lighting paired back at the night (but of course performance was terrible before) but otherwise I don't see anything downgraded outside the lighting.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God damn PC version can't come soon enough, if Rockstar is unwilling to fix this on console.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Then 1.0 for full gfx should be a risk that could be worth it.
Don't know that, ppl at the camp are way more important to RDR2 experience then better AO or pop-in honestly.
Talking with ppl at camp and watch the various debates of the crew is an huge part of the game, it was for me at least.

Having the risk of lose part of it cause they just doesn't spawn isn't a great perspective.
Other than that on 1.0 you have beard bug (doesn't grown or disappear) and other stuff that break immersion.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Then 1.0 for full gfx should be a risk that could be worth it.
the glitch is caused by using the Retry Checkpoint feature during Chapter 2's Polite Society, Valentine Style mission.
If a checkpoint is reloaded after failing the mission, the four aforementioned characters "will only appear in camp when they have missions for you to complete." For those who've yet to attempt Polite Society, Valentine Style, here's the official workaround from Rockstar:
In the interim, in order to experience all vignettes and conversations, players must complete the 'Polite Society, Valentine Style' mission without using Retry Checkpoint. If the player fails any portion of the mission they should abandon and restart mission, or load a save before the mission failed.
While players will miss out on certain side conversations, Rockstar says the glitch has no impact on actual mission progress and the companions should reappear at the beginning of Chapter 4.
That was R* response on the matter

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Don't know that, ppl at the camp are way more important to RDR2 experience then better AO or pop-in honestly.
Talking with ppl at camp and watch the various debates of the crew is an huge part of the game, it was for me at least.

Having the risk of lose part of it cause they just doesn't spawn isn't a great perspective.
Other than that on 1.0 you have beard bug (doesn't grown or disappear) and other stuff that break immersion.
I think I'd rather have that than take gfx. Or maybe I'll just wait for the PC version.

Oddhouse

Oct 31, 2017
The cynic in me thinks that this is a ploy to make the next gen/PC version comparably look better

Oct 27, 2017
DoLMPTH.gif

Thanks, I was struggling too.

Which one am I meant to be outraged by?

Edit, didn't realise how old this thread was. Don't mind me.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
"A new HDR Calibration menu has been added. Players can now switch between the existing 'Cinematic HDR' and new 'Game HDR' styles, and a new option has been added to allow manual adjustment of Peak Brightness values for different displays"

Wut? Game HDR?

They fixed HDR, maybe?

That would be huge for me

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
"A new HDR Calibration menu has been added. Players can now switch between the existing 'Cinematic HDR' and new 'Game HDR' styles, and a new option has been added to allow manual adjustment of Peak Brightness values for different displays"

Wut? Game HDR?

They fixed HDR, maybe?

That would be huge for me
No, it still looks like shit.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
It doesn't seem like a very expensive implementation of AO, so I'm surprised that they removed it. It seems like the color grading took a hit as well.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Is it still blurry on the PS4 Pro?
In a full 1080p I notice the "blurriness" only in the grass but the general IQ sharpness is not that different to Far Cry 5 from my personal experience (having both). But like I said in a 1080p screen the blurriness it's not exactly like per like to a full 4k TV and I guess 1920x2160p shouldn't be blurried in a downsampled imagine. Anyway I ask to an insider which posted a thread about the last patch. He didn't cared even to reply to me so it's how R cares of such issue on Pro.

Last edited:

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
LoL which is before and which is after cant tell a difference ....
Look at the legs and arms of the people in the left, and the edges at the bottom of the counter, also at the stairs. The ambient occlusion, which adds darker shadows to increase the depth of the image, are missing completely. Think of indirect shadow casting: when you stand in front of a counter, the material/counter is darker even when you don't cast an explicit shadow (like you would when someone would use a flashlight in your direction), because less light, which bounces around in a room, reach that place. Ambient occlusions 'fakes' this effect (because light is not really bouncing off surfaces here, that's what ray tracing is for) but it does the job pretty good and adds to a more believable scene. So the version with no shadows/AO at edges is the patched/worse version, while the other one was v1.0.

In a full 1080p I notice the "blurriness" only in the grass but the general IQ sharpness is not that different to Far Cry 5 from my personal experience (having both).
I don't have FC5 so I can't compare. Unfortunately I notice the blurriness not only grass but on all edges and even textures, which is a shame. I guess I wait for the PC version then.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Look at the legs and arms of the people in the left, and the edges at the bottom of the counter, also at the stairs. The ambient occlusion, which adds darker shadows to increase the depth of the image, are missing completely. Think of indirect shadow casting: when you stand in front of a counter, the material/counter is darker even when you don't cast an explicit shadow (like you would when someone would use a flashlight in your direction), because less light, which bounces around in a room, reach that place. Ambient occlusions 'fakes' this effect (because light is not really bouncing off surfaces here, that's what ray tracing is for) but it does the job pretty good and adds to a more believable scene. So the version with no shadows/AO at edges is the patched/worse version, while the other one was v1.0.

I don't have FC5 so I can't compare. Unfortunately I notice the blurriness not only grass but on all edges and even textures, which is a shame. I guess I wait for the PC version then.
Like I said I have a 1080p TV so it's hard to have the same blurriness of a 4k TV.