• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Ive been looking for instruments for 5 months now. Alas, eventually. I should boot the game on XSX and see if the licenses I have show up right. . .

BourbonJungle

Nov 1, 2017
Well shit, deleted my disc-based version off the PS4 and installed the rivals version off PSN and lost all my DLC.

Going to take forever to redownload stuff, is there an easy way? Looking at the albums I bought years ago (The Cars, etc) it's saying no content found accessing the content within the in game Rock Band store.

I've made a terrible mistake

OP
OP
MrNelson

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
EyS7vsyUUAEXI5Q

I am absolutely fucking here for Dear Maria

OP
OP
MrNelson

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Well shit, deleted my disc-based version off the PS4 and installed the rivals version off PSN and lost all my DLC.

Going to take forever to redownload stuff, is there an easy way? Looking at the albums I bought years ago (The Cars, etc) it's saying no content found accessing the content within the in game Rock Band store.

I've made a terrible mistake
Unfortunately the "easiest" way is going to be selecting each item to download from the "My Add-ons" list under the RB4 entry in the PS4 dashboard, which means you're going to be pressing X a lot depending on how much dlc you own. It's baffling how Sony didn't bother to implement any kind of "download all" option, even on the PS5, and is really the one thing holding me back from switching to the digital version of the game.

BourbonJungle

Nov 1, 2017
Unfortunately the "easiest" way is going to be selecting each item to download from the "My Add-ons" list under the RB4 entry in the PS4 dashboard, which means you're going to be pressing X a lot depending on how much dlc you own. It's baffling how Sony didn't bother to implement any kind of "download all" option, even on the PS5, and is really the one thing holding me back from switching to the digital version of the game.

Thanks for the tip, organized the add-ons on the PSN store by price and went through a couple hundred while drinking and listening to music. Will try this and see what I missed on my first pass through.

Thankfully I didn't make the switch on PS5, so everything should be still organized there w/ the disc version for reference.

Got an OG backwards compatible PS3, a 2nd copy of Beatles Rock band, and a full set of instruments w/ a couple extra guitars and mics for $150. Was looking at bringing my ps4 and some of that shit to a local bar and hosting a regular rock band night. Used to run a trivia night there and a friend currently manages the bar and runs their karaoke.

Figured it would be a fun alternative to Karaoke and need to fill out my song list and make up a karaoke-style book.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe Sony never implemented a graceful way to transition from disc to digital. That sounds like a pain.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Got my Series S. Rock Band loads are ridiculously fast now. For random quickplay sessions it's been great. 10/10 would recommend. I should probably play through Rockumentary now given I never bothered back when it was new.

Getting all the DLC was surprisingly easy on the Xbox store: Manage Game and Add-Ons, Check Install All, wait forever while everything downloads. I needed to Refresh Music Library a couple times because the system went to sleep, but by the time it was done I had everything. The Xbox One dongle for 360 instruments works a treat on it too. No extra setup needed, just needed to re-pair controllers and I was set. Sony's online/store/redownload stuff has always been a pain. I actually transitioned Rock Band from PlayStation to Xbox with Rock Band 3 due to all the issues I was having. I'm sorry they still haven't done better. I'm sure part of the problem is Sony's account infrastructure is a nightmare based on how long and difficult it was to get name changes mostly working. Things like massive Rock Band libraries were never planned for so I'm sure this edge case was basically ignored.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm such an idiot. I had an Xbox one and rock band 4 with two guitars. Sold them in 2017.
I just got an Xbox 360 E with a whole Kinect bundle. 7 Kinect games. (Kinect really sucks doesn't it?) $90. Everything's clean. I was like oh I'd love to get my old dlc and shit in rock band. Come to find out all of my giant retro game stores don't have any game copies in stock.
guitars and drums for 360 going for $100+ on Facebook marketplace.

wtf
On top of that I have buyers remorse for buying this $90 360 and Kinect bundle.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Got my Series S. Rock Band loads are ridiculously fast now. For random quickplay sessions it's been great. 10/10 would recommend. I should probably play through Rockumentary now given I never bothered back when it was new.

Getting all the DLC was surprisingly easy on the Xbox store: Manage Game and Add-Ons, Check Install All, wait forever while everything downloads. I needed to Refresh Music Library a couple times because the system went to sleep, but by the time it was done I had everything. The Xbox One dongle for 360 instruments works a treat on it too. No extra setup needed, just needed to re-pair controllers and I was set. Sony's online/store/redownload stuff has always been a pain. I actually transitioned Rock Band from PlayStation to Xbox with Rock Band 3 due to all the issues I was having. I'm sorry they still haven't done better. I'm sure part of the problem is Sony's account infrastructure is a nightmare based on how long and difficult it was to get name changes mostly working. Things like massive Rock Band libraries were never planned for so I'm sure this edge case was basically ignored.
Care to share if you find anything weird regarding the instruments/game? I have an Xbox One S with a Jaguar wireless guitar, and RB2 drums paired with the legacy adapter, so I'm taking preemptive steps for when I upgrade to XBS.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
I'm such an idiot. I had an Xbox one and rock band 4 with two guitars. Sold them in 2017.
I just got an Xbox 360 E with a whole Kinect bundle. 7 Kinect games. (Kinect really sucks doesn't it?) $90. Everything's clean. I was like oh I'd love to get my old dlc and shit in rock band. Come to find out all of my giant retro game stores don't have any game copies in stock.
guitars and drums for 360 going for $100+ on Facebook marketplace.

wtf
On top of that I have buyers remorse for buying this $90 360 and Kinect bundle.
Yeah, the prices of instruments is crazy. Vocals is my main play style, so I've been able to enjoy the games still. But I do miss being able to play guitar, just not enough to pay for the adapter or new instruments.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Care to share if you find anything weird regarding the instruments/game? I have an Xbox One S with a Jaguar wireless guitar, and RB2 drums paired with the legacy adapter, so I'm taking preemptive steps for when I upgrade to XBS.
Absolutely, for now here's what I've tried:
X360 Rock Band 2 Drum Kit
X360 Rock Band 3 Drum Kit
X360 Rock Band guitar
X360 "pro" guitar (the real size but still button based guitar)
X360 Beatles Hofner Bass Guitar
X360 Guitar Hero 3 guitar
XOne Penny Arcade Guitar
XOne Rock Band 4 Guitar

I don't have any of the PDP instruments so I can't comment on the Jaguar or drums for that. I don't need the legacy adapter to use the XOne instruments.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely, for now here's what I've tried:
X360 Rock Band 2 Drum Kit
X360 Rock Band 3 Drum Kit
X360 Rock Band guitar
X360 "pro" guitar (the real size but still button based guitar)
X360 Beatles Hofner Bass Guitar
X360 Guitar Hero 3 guitar
XOne Penny Arcade Guitar
XOne Rock Band 4 Guitar

I don't have any of the PDP instruments so I can't comment on the Jaguar or drums for that. I don't need the legacy adapter to use the XOne instruments.
Two things. One, I'm really jealous of your instrument collection and two, thanks for the quick reply. Been a while since I made space to set up my drums since I moved because of the pandemic, but that was definitely a worry on my mind. Much appreciated. :)

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Two things. One, I'm really jealous of your instrument collection and two, thanks for the quick reply. Been a while since I made space to set up my drums since I moved because of the pandemic, but that was definitely a worry on my mind. Much appreciated. :)
Honestly I had more instruments but I had to lose some or my wife would have killed me. At my peak collection we lived in a one bedroom apartment and I had to start mounting guitars on the walls to make room. I kept finding the "full band" bundles on sale and figured I'd be a fool to not buy them.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I had more instruments but I had to lose some or my wife would have killed me. At my peak collection we lived in a one bedroom apartment and I had to start mounting guitars on the walls to make room. I kept finding the "full band" bundles on sale and figured I'd be a fool to not buy them.
I regret not buying a full RB4 set... but what can you do. lol

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, the prices of instruments is crazy. Vocals is my main play style, so I've been able to enjoy the games still. But I do miss being able to play guitar, just not enough to pay for the adapter or new instruments.
I was thinking about doing vocals only with my usb microphone. Eh at this point I'm probably just going to sell all of this shit to the game store

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, considering their big PC Kickstarter attempt failed (which would have solved the Xbox instrument problem at least lol), it seems very unlikely that they'll make a new game.
I still think PDP could and should be able to do some small sets as part of a crowdfunding or preorder thing, or at least just make more of the stupid overpriced adapters if not full instruments, but I have no idea why they haven't.

I assume it's still a rights issue that is the big hang up, which is too bad.

Oct 29, 2017
Hmmm well I guess I'll have my thrift store friend keep an eye out for old equipment. It's a shame. I miss that feeling of rocking out.
Any other good reasons to own a 360 these days?
I'm looking at selling this pile of dance (harmonix made some of these lol) Kinect games and I see my 20 digital 360 games are all Xbox one compatible.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I regret not buying a full RB4 set... but what can you do. lol

If it's any consolation, the drum set and/or cymbals would have been faulty or crapped out on you after barely any use like mine did.

It sucks they aren't being sold, but I remembered my extreme frustration with quality control and multiple RMAs and returns for various RB accessories. I was lucky to get a working set after tons of hassle.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
If it's any consolation, the drum set and/or cymbals would have been faulty or crapped out on you after barely any use like mine did.

It sucks they aren't being sold, but I remembered my extreme frustration with quality control and multiple RMAs and returns for various RB accessories. I was lucky to get a working set after tons of hassle.
Oh wow, were these the Mad Catz ones or the PDP ones? My Mad Catz guitar is still holding strong, but I also haven't played seriously in a while.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, were these the Mad Catz ones or the PDP ones? My Mad Catz guitar is still holding strong, but I also haven't played seriously in a while.

PDP. Hardly any wear and the red pad won't detect hits half the time. No idea how they could fail unless it's just from massive amounts of dust getting inside.

I do have some MC backups from RB2/3, but they are in cryo-sleep for safe keeping until I really need them. Same for MC cymbals for the one set I tried that actually seem to work.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
PDP. Hardly any wear and the red pad won't detect hits half the time. No idea how they could fail unless it's just from massive amounts of dust getting inside.

I do have some MC backups from RB2/3, but they are in cryo-sleep for safe keeping until I really need them. Same for MC cymbals for the one set I tried that actually seem to work.
Oh wow, that sucks. Hopefully your kit lasts a while.

Harmonix really just needs to get the license back... hopefully it's not for the life of RB4 or that truly means the game will slowly starve itself of people as instruments die.

I still remember the Reddit post from the guy who makes the drum conversion thing who said he actually tried approaching PDP and Microsoft about trying to work out a sub license to make his own Xbox adapter and they effectively shut him down. It's too bad wired controllers don't work either, because I actually still have a RB1 set lying around if I ever feel like setting up the 360 again. lol

Tokklyym

Oct 28, 2017
Hey folks. I bought and received an Xbox Legacy adapter this week. I have a Guitar Hero World Tour Guitar and was using it for a couple hours with Rock Band 4 on my Xbox One X.

I took the adapter and the guitar and synced them with my Xbox Series X just now for the first time and the guitar wont stay connected. It constantly drops and reconnects. I can't get more than 10 seconds through a song before it drops.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Any suggestions?

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I can't actually play Rock Band 4 anymore on Xbox.

Got around 500 songs and can't get past the "finding downloaded content". The update finishes scanning everything and starts over, and again, and again. Got busy and let it do it's thing, but no, three hours later the game is still trying to find downloaded content. Should I delete everything and redownload?

Tokklyym

Oct 28, 2017
Hey folks. I bought and received an Xbox Legacy adapter this week. I have a Guitar Hero World Tour Guitar and was using it for a couple hours with Rock Band 4 on my Xbox One X.

I took the adapter and the guitar and synced them with my Xbox Series X just now for the first time and the guitar wont stay connected. It constantly drops and reconnects. I can't get more than 10 seconds through a song before it drops.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Any suggestions?

Turned the Xbox right off and back on again, replaced the batteries, and all good. It's working now.

Damn I love Rock Band.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Turned the Xbox right off and back on again, replaced the batteries, and all good. It's working now.

Damn I love Rock Band.
Now treat that thing like it's the most valuable piece of tech ever made. lol

Well, I can't actually play Rock Band 4 anymore on Xbox.

Got around 500 songs and can't get past the "finding downloaded content". The update finishes scanning everything and starts over, and again, and again. Got busy and let it do it's thing, but no, three hours later the game is still trying to find downloaded content. Should I delete everything and redownload?
Have you tried the setting in the game to basically re-index the song cache (forgot what it's called). I basically had to do that when I moved my stuff to my Series X.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Have you tried the setting in the game to basically re-index the song cache (forgot what it's called). I basically had to do that when I moved my stuff to my Series X.
Yeah, thing is, it finishes scanning the 582 songs I own and starts over again. Takes between an 1:00 or 1:30 hours to get done before the number resets. I don't even feel like playing anymore, I'm more curious about what's happening.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, thing is, it finishes scanning the 582 songs I own and starts over again. Takes between an 1:00 or 1:30 hours to get done before the number resets. I don't even feel like playing anymore, I'm more curious about what's happening.
Might want to try Harmonix support to see if they have any ideas... In my mind, there's clearing the actual system cache with that secret button combo (or maybe it's in the menu now) or after that, deleting everything and starting over. But hopefully there's a better solution than that.

I remember there was an error a while ago with indexing songs, but as far as I know that was patched...

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
I went through the DLC store the other day to wishlist everything I wanted since it's been a good 3 years since I gave it a thorough look through. I'd still pick up the occasional new release but as far as digging through the back catalogue it's been ages.

Turns out there are 321 tracks I want. RIP my wallet. Probably going to reallocate my "free to play" budget to Rock Band for a few months to expand the library.

Last edited:

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Ive been looking for instruments for 5 months now. Alas, eventually. I should boot the game on XSX and see if the licenses I have show up right. . .
Huzzah it did, The RB1, 2, 3, Lego, and Green Day exports worked. Still no instruments found locally.

Curious, are the Metal, Country, and Classic Rock track pack songs mostly still available as regular DLC? Look at the eBay prices for those it would be cheaper to just buy the songs.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Huzzah it did, The RB1, 2, 3, Lego, and Green Day exports worked. Still no instruments found locally.

Curious, are the Metal, Country, and Classic Rock track pack songs mostly still available as regular DLC? Look at the eBay prices for those it would be cheaper to just buy the songs.
I think a lot of them were made into their own packs at least - the country ones for sure.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017

The only track pack the didn't have it's songs released as DLC was the AC/DC one.

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
FINALLY remembered my old Xbox 360 login. So now I can hopefully one day get a Series X or S and relive my Rock Band days. I know the transfer for the older games has expired, but can I still transfer over the old DLC I had purchased? I bought quite a bit back in the day.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
FINALLY remembered my old Xbox 360 login. So now I can hopefully one day get a Series X or S and relive my Rock Band days. I know the transfer for the older games has expired, but can I still transfer over the old DLC I had purchased? I bought quite a bit back in the day.
Old DLC should just show up in the manage add-ons panel.

Can someone clarify, do old songs show up as purchased in the RB store too?