OP
OP
MrNelson

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So with the game being on sale for PS4 I'm probably going to buy it but I still need to buy a guitar.

What guitar does everyone have?

More specifically, does anyone own this one?
Rock Band Fender Jaguar Guitar Controller for PlayStation 4 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I71VETY/?tag=era0f0-20

That's the one I've been thinking about getting due to price and relatively good reviews.
I use a GH5 guitar that I've had forever, but I've also used the Madcatz RB4 strat and haven't had any issues with it. I can hit the same note percentages with either, but after 12 years of Guitar Hero it just doesn't feel right to me without the click.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
So with the game being on sale for PS4 I'm probably going to buy it but I still need to buy a guitar.

Rock Band Fender Jaguar Guitar Controller for PlayStation 4 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I71VETY/?tag=era0f0-20

That's the one I've been thinking about getting due to price and relatively good reviews.

The Fender guitar's are mostly solid (Apart from the mushy piece of shit that was the RB1 guitar) but I personally use:

GH3 LES PAUL CONTROLLER: Has a massively flawed detachable neck but with a bit of DIY and upkeep it's a fantastic controller.

31SVhv%2BseYL.jpg

GH5 GUITAR CONTROLLER: The World Tour version of this one is rubbish, but the GH5 version with the red and white faceplate has a fantastic strumbar, a great overdrive activation button and way more solid frets than it's previous incarnation.
gh5-guitar-2h9o-800.jpg

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017

The only problem I really have with the Jaguar is accidental overdrive triggers. Other than that, it's solid.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only weird quirk I have is when the batteries are getting really low, I'll randomly lose combo on easy notes or deploying OD, but that's a low battery thing I think, the music game instruments are always more sensitive to low battery than regular controllers.

Basically the console battery meter means replace you battery at low, not dead, for music instruments

Last edited:

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
And of course Play That Funky Music isn't showing up as free with the spotlight pass on EU PSN. Because... of course.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
The only weird quirk I have is when the batteries are getting really low, I'll randomly lose combo on easy notes or deploying OD, but that's a low battery thing I think, the music game instruments are always more sensitive to low battery than regular controllers.

Basically the console battery meter means replace you battery at low, not dead, for music instruments
My Rock Band 4 guitar has this weird thing where sometimes, seemingly randomly, pressing the blue button on the bottom frets causes the gutar to turn off. It's so weird.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Well, just got done getting all 999 Power Moons and all purple coins in "Super Mario Odyssey" so finally here's my first playthrough scores, impressions and stem confirmations for this week's 2 new singles and this week's Rock Band Rewind:

"Play That Funky Music" - Wild Cherry -
[Guitar: Tier 3 | Drums: Tier 2 | Vocals: Devil Tier | Bass: Tier 3]
Expert Guitar: 267,895 | 100% Notes Hit (1400/1400) Full Combo | Gold Stars
Expert Bass: 165,290 | 100% Notes Hit (879/879) Full Combo | Gold Stars

"Slow Ride" - Foghat - [Guitar: Tier 2 | Drums: Tier 2| Vocals: Tier 2 | Bass: Tier 3]
Expert Guitar: 118,289 | 100% Notes Hit (534/534) Full Combo | Gold Stars
Expert Bass: 116,381 | 100% Notes Hit (585/585) Full Combo | Gold Stars

"I Wanna Be Sedated" - The Ramones [Guitar: Tier 2 | Drums: Tier 0 | Vocals: Tier 0 | Bass: Tier 1]
Expert Guitar: 168,855 | 100% Notes Hit (716/716) Full Combo | Gold Stars
Expert Bass: 137,456 | 100% Notes Hit (742/742) Full Combo | Gold Stars

Stem Confirmations: "Play That Funky Music" seems to have legit stems. Not sure if the intro just has a second guitar track in the background but after the intro everything seemed fine when missing notes, no track degradation or muffling. "Slow Ride" is stemless sadly, there's a fair bit of track muffling across the board when missing notes but it's not actually too bad compared to other songs of it's ilk. "I Wanna Be Sedated" is a bonafide master track seeing as it's an export from Rock Band 3. So yeah, 2 out of 3 ain't too shabby. And the one stemless track we do have isn't a exactly terrible DIY job either.

DLC Impressions: "I Wanna Be Sedated" is your standard Ramones fair. Lots of fast movement between chords and single notes with long stretches of two note chord strumming on guitar, although it does have a simple solo at the end that has you climbing up from yellow to orange for about 10 seconds which helps vary things up a tad. Bass is steady strumming with a sizable wait between lane changes. It's an iconic song though so I'd say it's worth getting if you didn't secure the RB3 export. "Foghat" is pretty fun on both guitar and bass. Guitar is mostly slow bursts of chords back and forth across the guitar neck but it does have some pretty fun flourishes throughout including some fun hammer-on snaking and a pretty rad solo or two, for a tier 2 it's a blast. Bass is fucking great, it follows the guitar for the most part in pace with lots of steady single strumming but there's all sorts of neat little hammer-on flourishes throughout including some quick alt-strumming and rapid fret sweeps right at the end. Essential for bassists! "Play That Funky Music" will either be fantastic or a giant pain in the ass depending on whether you like disco guitar beats or not as it changes quickly between chord and single notes constantly throughout with a lot of hammer-on sweeps inbetween and fun as fuck solo about halfway though, I enjoyed it thoroughly. Bass is simple but pretty fun with repeated hammer-on snaking that transitions from the higher end of the neck to the lower between the choruses and verses, it even throws in 5 note hammer-on sweeps towards the end that move from green to orange and then back to green to end it. Overall, really fucking good week, and the packs a good proposition to those who don't own the RB3 export!

Last edited:

EthanKart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rock Band Rivals is on sale on psn for 24 bucks. Should I get that and buy the gear separately? I don't own any accessories at the moment

OP
OP
MrNelson

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Rock Band Rivals is on sale on psn for 24 bucks. Should I get that and buy the gear separately? I don't own any accessories at the moment
Depends entirely on whether or not you want to go hunting for used drums. You can use any USB microphone, and you can still find new RB4 stratocasters on Amazon, but the drums you could only get out of the band in a box bundle.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
So how did Dropmix turn out? I see that the card packs are hard to find, but how what is the game like?

Menaged

Oct 29, 2017
I'm really feeling this Rock Band itch lately.
Thought of buying the Rivals band in a box bundle, but it's so expensive here. It amount to around $350...

Anyway, I'm not too up to date on it, but I guess I can import by now most \ all songs I bought? What about my RB1 and RB3 copies? (My RB2 copy is US, the others are PAL...).

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
If you didn't change console families (so PS3 --> PS4 or Xbox 360 --> Xbox One) then yes, you can redownload almost every HMX released song for free. The songs that aren't available right now should be available soon*, you can also redownload your RB1 and RB2 songs if you've previously exported them and if you have at least one achievement (I think) for Rock Band 3 on your account you can buy the RB3 export/soundtrack download for 15 bucks.

*at least, that's what they keep telling us, the schedule for those songs isn't quite clear, some of the delisted songs have been available for a year now, others still aren't.

Menaged

Oct 29, 2017
Cool. I imported RB1 back in the day, so at least there's that.

Now to decide wit myself if it's worth the investment...

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I was reading about the current SFV/Red Bull promotion, and was reminded of that Pepsi Rock Band promotion years back. That thing was one of the best promos ever. Granted, it didn't help my soda habit, but I got so many songs from that.

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna assume that was the thing that was supposed to be in the empty week but didn't get cleared in time

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want to buy Dropmix but my current phone can't handle the app without crashing because it's a cheap budget one, so playing Dropmix is gonna require me to either buy a new more expensive phone or a tablet capable of running it at the same time.

Bauer91

Oct 26, 2017
Free new song is out on EU PSN, at least we usually get new releases first... FCed on guitar and bass on sightread, here's the chart previews:

The bass sounds really good in this song and it's a pretty fun chart!

Oct 25, 2017
Nice update for those not in a crew yet. Looking forward to seeing what the DLC is if they are starting to hype it up a little.

kdoll08

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone tried the game on Xbox One X yet and noticed any differences in load time or cut down on the stuttering?

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Here's my first playthrough scores, stem confirmations and impressions for this week's FREE Harmonix track, Rock Band Rewind track and new DLC single:

"Super Beat Big Boas Battle" - Steve Pardo -
[Guitar: Tier 4 | Drums: Tier 5 | Vocals: N/A | Bass: Tier 5]
Expert Guitar: 118,404 | 100% Notes Hit (647/647) Full Combo | Gold Stars
Expert Bass: 165,176 | 100% Notes Hit (856/856) Full Combo | Gold Stars

"Bad Reputation" - Joan Jett - [Guitar: Tier 3 | Drums: Tier 5 |Vocals: Tier 3| Bass: Tier 3]
Expert Guitar: 161,722 | 100% Notes Hit (625/625) Full Combo | Gold Stars
Expert Bass: 121,661 | 100% Notes Hit (633/633) Full Combo | Gold Stars

"Blister In The Sun" - Violent Femmes - [Guitar: Tier 4 | Drums: Tier 3 | Vocals: Tier 3 | Bass: Tier 4]
Expert Guitar: 141,775 | 100% Notes Hit (535/535) Full Combo | Gold Stars
Expert Bass: 92,573 | 100% Notes Hit (497/497) Full Combo | Gold Stars

Stem Confirmations: "Big Boas Battle" is an in-studio recording so that has legit stems and masters. "Bad Reputation" is an RB2 export so that's 2 for 2. "Blister In The Sun" sadly isn't a master track and it has a case of some of the worst track muffling I've heard in quite a while when missing notes on any instrument, including the vocal track. So yeah, thats 2 out of 3 this week.

DLC Impressions: "Big Baos Battle" is a free track this week and it's really fun on both guitar and bass. Guitar has a ton of spaced out hammer-on snaking throughout, and two rad solos with plenty of upward and downward rapid fret movement. Bass is similar but with a nice helping of galloping and alt-strumming throughout. So yeah, it's both free AND fun. No excuse not to download it! "Bad Reputation" is a bog standard chordfest on guitar with a lot of alt-strumming to flesh things out, bass is pretty fun with a lot of alt-strummed lane changing with some off-beat gaps inbetween. Fantastic song and a classic setlist track. Worth getting if you never got the RB2 export. "Blister In The Sun" is a blast on guitar, but there are constant chord changes throughout which dart up and down the neck which may cause some people grief and some fun as fuck three note chord alt-strumming sections in between to spice things up. Bass is godly and probably my favourite chart of the year so far. It's hammer-on city and incredibly bouncy throughout, the main chorus riff in particular is fun as all hell. Overall, a good week!

OP
OP
MrNelson

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Shame about Blister in the Sun. Double whammy of stemless and rough DIY job. I was hoping those days were over after seeing the good job they did with the recent DIY songs.

Oct 25, 2017
I wish Harmonix could license Add It Up and Kiss off as well. Blister in the Sun is the band's big hit, but I prefer the former two.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the great thing about crews is that everybody can help out just as good as anyone else, regardless of skill level and instrument.

As for vocals, it's very good to have a good or adequate vocalist around, in The B-Sides crew for instance vocals arr usually the last instrument to be played.