Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bilibili does a lot more than games so it isn't a 1 to 1 comparison, but their stock has risen from $19.25 to $111.07 this year. I bought 100 shares in the $20s and am kicking myself for not continuing to increase my position as it rose. It really shows no signs of stopping.. it's now got a market cap of over $40B. Not quite as drastic a growth as this rise for Roblox (something closer to 5.5x instead of 7x) but a lot of hot companies have seen massive growth this year.

Hello!

How did you buy them if you don't mind me asking?

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
You know my pain. I guess its the same as collected Pokemon cards or some other thing my older kids did. I gotta be honest, I don't know what exactly they spend it on but they (7, 10 and 11) sure do spend it.

I'm trying to remember when I was their age what did we spend our money on. Garbage Pale Kids? Pogs? Marvel Cards? Fleer and Upper Deck?

Yeah garbage pale kids and football magazines and cards lol

I get the attraction but I cannot get over the prices of some of these digital items. Some are priced in excess of $10,000 for 1 item. What scares me the most is that they can suspend or remove an account at the drop of a hat because someone reports you without any proof of wrongdoing. Essentially removing all your purchases with it.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Roblox is garbage but it's kinda fun and I see the appeal of it. My niece plays it all the time.

I remember watching her play a school themed game that used the Balamb theme from FF8 lol.
Its definitely not garbage, Its just that ROBLOX has fucked the monetization scheme up so much that the only way to make money developing games on there is to make low quality MTX GaaS games, Which is what a lot of the people in this thread only see ROBLOX as. So unfortuantely the high quality stuff is few and far between these days because they arent profitable with the way roblox handles currency. Still makes me mad after all these years.

olubode

Oct 28, 2017
On the financial side, seems like a direct listing is a bad idea. Any other tech stock to IPO this year has seen their value basically doubled before hitting the public market. Unity IPO'd at $52 after raising it from its initial plans at~$33 once it saw demand and was at $75 before it even started publicly trading.
It a game that caters to millions of kids that can't play with many of their friends due to a pandemic and has a low cost of entry.
Edit: Anything indoor game or hobby related has seen demand go through the roof. I don't think you should think of this as a tech company. Probably closer to a Nintendo.