less

Oct 25, 2017
What a clusterfuck by Robinhood. Makes me glad I never tried it.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Anyone doing day to day trading with that kind of money can probably afford to lose it, but Jesus christ what a fuckup by the app/website.

You don't get do-overs with this kind of thing, and I imagine he won't get a refund.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea what any of that means.

A put option is basically someone saying that they think a stock price will drop, and then because a put option is a contract, they have the RIGHT (not the obligation tho) to sell the option and profit off of that option if and when the stock price actually drops.

Trading is gambling and extremely volatile, so you can either make a lot of money or lose a lot of money.

Okay, let me rephrase this so its easier.

When you buy a PUT option, your (the buyer) buying a contract that says you get to sell a stock at a set price within a specified time.

PUT options are for when you think the stock is going to depreciate in value, so that often means that when the stock falls in value, you can still sell the stock at the set price and in turn, you make money off of that.

If you cannot sell within that time and your contract expires, you lost a ton of money.

randomhugs

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying real hard to feel bad for this rich person losing a bunch of money but, it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Is not understanding this what being old is like

Giving people the poorly run doordash equivalent app for buying and selling stock options. What could possibly go wrong?

I liked when some kid figured out an exploit in the app with regards to margin so he basically could get some absurdly leveraged positions he would have never been allowed through someone else, like an infinite money glitch in a game.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I suddenly have a strong urge to check out /r/WallStreetBets

They made the cover of Bloomberg last week. It's been a shitshow for around a month now.

Giving people the poorly run doordash equivalent app for buying and selling stock options. What could possibly go wrong?

I liked when some kid figured out an exploit in the app with regards to margin so he basically could get some absurdly leveraged positions he would have never been allowed through someone else, like an infinite money glitch in a game.

GUH

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can say you don't care about rich people all you want, but the vast majority of Robinhood users are certainly not rich. They screwed a bunch of people today.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is not understanding this what being old is like
Lol glad I wasnt the only one

Here's an explanation of what is happening.

A put option is basically someone saying that they think a stock price will drop, and then because a put option is a contract, they have the RIGHT (not the obligation tho) to sell the option and profit off of that option if and when the stock price actually drops.

Trading is gambling and extremely volatile, so you can either make a lot of money or lose a lot of money.

Okay, let me rephrase this so its easier.

When you buy a PUT option, your (the buyer) buying a contract that says you get to sell a stock at a set price within a specified time.

PUT options are for when you think the stock is going to depreciate in value, so that often means that when the stock falls in value, you can still sell the stock at the set price and in turn, you make money off of that.

If you cannot sell within that time and your contract expires, you lost a ton of money.

Let me know if you have questions.

Oct 27, 2017
Glad I don't use Robinhood. Something like this would piss me off for sure, especially when it's literally out of my control

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just imagine the feeling in the stomach right now of everybody who works for Robinhood. Talk about a rough day.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean just looking at the Wiki:

Payment for order flow
Bloomberg News reported in October 2018 that Robinhood receives almost half of its revenue from payment for order flow.The company later confirmed this on its corporate website when asked by CNBC.The Wall Street Journal found that Robinhood "appears to be taking more cash for orders than rivals," by up to a 60-to-1 ratio, according to its regulatory filings.

FINRA fined Robinhood $1.25M in December 2019 for failing to ensure that its customers received the best price for orders. All of Robinhood's trades between October 2016 and November 2017 were routed to companies that paid for order flow, and the company did not consider the price improvement which may have been obtained through other market makers.

Security breach
In July 2019, Robinhood admitted to storing customer passwords in cleartext and in readable form across their internal systems, according to emails it sent to affected customers. Robinhood declined to say how many customers were affected by the error and claims that it did not find any evidence of abuse.

Infinite money
In November 2019, a glitch was shared on the WallStreetBets subreddit that allowed Robinhood Gold users to borrow unlimited funds. The loophole was closed shortly thereafter and accounts that exploited it were suspended, but not before some accounts recorded six figure losses by using what WallStreetBets users dubbed the "infinite money cheat code."

Outage
On March 2 2020, Robinhood suffered prolonged outage at a significantly volatile time in the market."

Robinhood has been untrustworthy for awhile IMO.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. At least I'm sure he'll get plenty of karma on wallstreetbets

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The people that would have made bad moves had Robinhood been functional must be feeling pretty good right now.