Slack Attack

Oct 28, 2017
Just so I'm fully understanding this situation, was the primary purpose of the buy and hold of GME to fuck over hedge funds with opposite positions or was it to try and get rich knowing the hedge funds would have to buy back at those high prices? Or both?

iamdelirium

Nov 25, 2017
wow from AOC to Trump, thats a broad coalition right there.

Meanwhile Neo-liberals

9698d64b37c3ae37eba299ef3f5ac370.jpg
Why do people always bring in the neolibs boogeyman? Just look at their Subreddit and they're against this too.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
fuck robinhood webull etc

USA - ETRADE, FIDELITY, TDAMERITRADE, VANGUARD, CHASE

CANADA - TD, WEALTHSIMPLE

UK - FREETRADE PLUS, INTERACTIVE BROKER, DEGIRO

NORDICS - NORDNET

I use Questrade in Canada, haven't heard any chatter of them blocking meme share purchases yet. But then I bought a few days ago so I dunno

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do I remove my money from Robinhood. I have some money in deposit funds but its not allowing me to transfer it out.

I was able to get some more AMC stock from Cash App

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

... This almost hurts. I don't want to be on the same side as these people. What is this pain? Why is this causing me what feels like cognitive dissonance?

It's easier to understand the cognitive dissonance if you think of the phrase "free market" like "free speech."

Conservative populists like Ben Shapiro, Donald Trump Jr, and Glen Greenwald, are thinking that "the free market" means that private companies like Robinhood controlling their platforms is a violation of the concept of "the free market," similar to how they think that Twitter controlling speech on their platforms is a violation of the concept of "free speech."

Meanwhile, liberals like Elizabeth Warren, and now progressives like AOC, believe that government has a role in regulating the industries that create these platforms to prevent them from getting into circumstances like this that then require regulatory/government intervention (or hamfisted implementations at their own regulation).

A problem occurs when you have so-called liberals or progressives making utterly libertarian and nihilistic arguments around consumer financial protection, false equivalencies, and then placing blame on liberals or neoliberals for the lack of regulations that were all overturned by conservatives and libertarians. There is a meme a page or two ago and some poster here blaming neoliberals for this. No. It's libertarian-minded conservatives who have gone after most of our consumer financial protection laws, Republican enablers who supported them and and gave them the majority, and now those same Republicans -- Ted Cruz or Don Jr -- now transitioning to populist arguments misinterpreting what "free market" means to think that a free market (or free speech) means that private platforms arbitrarily regulating how their platforms work is a violation of the concept of the free market.

Goddamn what am i even reading here

This is wild

and i'm sad because living paycheck to paycheck sucks. Should i really be getting into the Stonk game?

You should not. Get rich quick schemes almost never actually get someone rich. Most people lose money.

Last edited:

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
Just submitted an app for chase, seems like they're reviewing apps for brokerage accounts and has about a 1 day turnaround

Luixfern

Oct 27, 2017
I was going to open an account with TD, but are they playing this bullshit too?

Is Fidelity the one to go with?

whoodle

Jul 17, 2020
Just listening to BBC Radio 5 Live here in the UK and I was suprised that they were talking about this. Only really heard about it from US sources before now.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately it seems like it IS in Robinhood's ToS to stop any part of the app without reason given, though I don't entirely know if that overrides the fact that this can be used in potentially illegal activity

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Just so I'm fully understanding this situation, was the primary purpose of the buy and hold of GME to fuck over hedge funds with opposite positions or was it to try and get rich knowing the hedge funds would have to buy back at those high prices? Or both?

Get rich. I'm laughing at ppl saying it's a class war seriously, WSB spends it's days dreaming and acting like the degenerate elite they are shouting about.

Why do people always bring in the neolibs boogeyman? Just look at their Subreddit and they're against this too.

Most neoliberals probably aren't really neoliberals or at least have widely varying policies some of which are neolib, some less so.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
Some advice for some newer traders here:

I see a lo of you asking if they should use Vanguard for day to day trading - I would advise against it. It's GREAT for your Roth/Retirement type investments - but super antiquated website. (I use it for my Roth).

I would suggest TDA even though they're with the fuckery sometimes because of the robust think or swim platform and online tutorials galore if you really want to get into technicals. The mobile app isn't bad.

RH is dogshit, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't use it for options from time to time.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
If you can't buy but you can sell...

who the fuck are you selling to?

Seriously this is pretty blatant. If there was any doubt the system was rigged before it's completely gone now.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
wow from AOC to Trump, thats a broad coalition right there.

Meanwhile Neo-liberals

9698d64b37c3ae37eba299ef3f5ac370.jpg

This is dishonest and wrong.

Libertarian conservatives have fought to overturn basic consumer financial protections that would protect consumers from ponzi schemes like this one, and also regulate institutional investors from requiring government intervention due to financial malpractice. Republicans gutted the CFPB, they overturned Dodd-Frank, and they've eliminated any financial regulatory structure that was setup to prevent predatory financial risk.

It might feel good to link arms with a fascist like Don Jr and look down on liberals or neoliberals, but it's intellectually dishonest and you're enabling their attacks on financial regulation when you do that. Make no doubt when the republican-gutted Consumer Financial Protection Bureau starts investigating malpractice by trading platforms like Robinhood, Don Jr and his Republican cohorts will be attacking it from all angles.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
This is a good case to ban short selling an other forms of arbitrage that serves the sole purpose of enriching the already wealthy. This doesn't provide any value to productivity and optimal use of capital.