• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PRBoricua23

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
My father passed away due to complications from liver cancer today. It hasn't really set in yet, but I guess I'm here to ask about coping mechanisms? I dunno how I'm gonna tell my 6 yr old son who cherished his grandpa. I'm lost.

How did you guys handle it?

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
My dad died suddenly when I was 17 of a heart attack. It changed who I was as a person. You're going to go through a lot. Don't go through it alone. Time heals all wounds and it will get better.

Took a couple of years. But it'll be ok. I'm sorry your pop passed. I have digital hugs for you at best.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to hear this man. Losing your father is a rough experience.

My dad died six years ago due to heart failure. He was like my best friend. Six years later I still don't think I've fully recovered from it, but I can tell you that it does get easier. Eventually the sad thoughts will be replaced with positive memories of your dad.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
My father passed away due to complications from liver cancer today. It hasn't really set in yet, but I guess I'm here to ask about coping mechanisms? I dunno how I'm gonna tell my 6 yr old son who cherished his grandpa. I'm lost.

I lost my dad when I was 22. Shit was hard, I was still living at home at the time and I found him unconscious. That was the longest night.

I still remember all the details of what I was doing that nighT. That was 24 years ago.

RiderKairuu

Oct 25, 2017
Don't put a timeline on healing. Allow yourself to grieve and be sad for how ever long it takes. Don't supress it, just be sad. It'll take a long time but they're all normal feelings. My condolences to you and your family.

TCi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone griefs differently. Give it time and you will heal gradually. It will always be there though. The initial shock might take a day or two. In some cases a bit longer.

My condolences.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Take the time you need you never really get completely over something like this and you shouldn't try to force yourself to get over it. In the end it comes down to acceptance and memory. Most of all be there for your son.

Condolences to you, your family & friends that knew your father.

The pain never really goes away unfortunately. I lost an uncle to cancer but he was more like a second dad to me in 2016, but I can still remember everything about the night...

That said, grieve as long as you need to. It's fine to feel sad about things that remind you of him but it's also fine to feel joy in things that remind you of him.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Sorry for your loss. My dad lost a very short battle with cancer just over 12 years ago. The best thing anyone ever told me was to never try and get over it, just slowly learn to live with it. It'll be crazy hard for a long, long time, but just allow yourself to feel that. Don't try and bottle it up and ignore it. Talk to people as well.

All the best to you and the family.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
In my experience, one of the most difficult aspects of grieving is the sense that you should or shouldn't be doing a certain thing or feeling a certain way. Just remember that nothing you do or say or feel in this time is wrong, and try to be gentle with yourself. I am sorry for your loss.

Oct 29, 2017
Sorry for your loss OP. My father passed unexpectedly 8 years ago. When he passed away, everyone he knew spoke of how he made everyone feel good upon seeing him. I decided to try take that one trait of his and live my life in his image.

JG_Lionheart

Dec 3, 2018

Last year my mother in law passed from cancer. Telling my 7 year old daughter was the toughest thing I had to do above all. My wife couldn't handle it so I had to do it. I...was just frank and didn't sugar coat it. Just told her straightforward her grandma didn't recover but also reminded her that she was always on her thoughts and asking about her when awake. Of course, she broke down in tears after hearing that.

I think like echoshifting said, there is no "right" way to feel. My 3 year old barely understood tho she still recognizes her grandma.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I lost my father 14 months ago. To this day, i stil feel like i lost him yesterday. It's a very long process, and you just learn how to live with that. He won't leave your thoughts, you'll still think about him every single day. That's how it is. I'm deeply sorry for your loss.

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
You have my condolences PRBoricua23

For me dealing with a loss loved one is hanging out and talking as often as I can with others that knew them and cherished there lives just as equally as me and share stories. Over time it gets better but you will still feel the pain a little when you remember they are gone.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Condolences dude.
My dad passed away very suddenly of a heart attack a couple of years ago.

This twitter thread helped me a lot with understanding why it is so hard some days and not others, it's a good metaphor for what's going on

It'll never get "better", but over time more days will be good than not. I don't really have any advice for actually dealing with that grief, just take it easy and understand that it's okay to be upset. It's normal, or if you're not, that's also fine and also normal. Everyone handles grief differently.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
My dad died suddenly when I was 17 of a heart attack. It changed who I was as a person. You're going to go through a lot. Don't go through it alone. Time heals all wounds and it will get better.

Took a couple of years. But it'll be ok. I'm sorry your pop passed. I have digital hugs for you at best.
Don't put a timeline on healing. Allow yourself to grieve and be sad for how ever long it takes. Don't supress it, just be sad. It'll take a long time but they're all normal feelings. My condolences to you and your family.
Sorry for your loss. My dad lost a very short battle with cancer just over 12 years ago. The best thing anyone ever told me was to never try and get over it, just slowly learn to live with it. It'll be crazy hard for a long, long time, but just allow yourself to feel that. Don't try and bottle it up and ignore it. Talk to people as well.

All the best to you and the family.
These are great posts.
I lost my dad a couple of years from liver cancer, too. Chance was I was alone with him at the very end while the rest of my family was on the way when they found out his condition was deteriorating.

It's still very hard sometimes. Like people say, some good days and bad days and that's okay. But it does get easier to handle with time. Try to focus on remembering the good times you had with him, less on the sadder moments, especially the ones to do with his illness.

Don't feel guilty about how quickly or how slowly you feel you're moving. Each member of your family will have a different timeline, as well, and that's okay too.

Take your time, have a good cry when you need it. My condolences, OP.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
My condolences, OP.

My dad was a lymphoma survivor 20 years ago, but succumbed to leukemia 10 years ago. It's difficult, but the best way I find to cope is to talk about it, cherish the time you had, and keep yourself occupied.

I was more than occupied with helping my mom keep my siblings and the house straight, as well as college back then. It was incredibly stressful, and while I can't say it ever gets better, it gets easier. I still miss him and wish he were around to see where I'm at now.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Condolences dude.
It'll never get "better", but over time more days will be good than not.
This is the truth. I don't want to sound bleak, but the death of a close loved one brings about a bitter sweet element to every happy event in your life going forward. That is the long term reality of grief unfortunately. Really sorry OP.

spindashing

Oct 25, 2017
Queens, New York
My condolences.

My mother passed away almost two years ago and it's definitely a life changing experience. As some other posters have said, some days are easy and some days are harder than others. It does get better with time for sure. Remember the good times that you shared with your father, I'm sure that he's so proud to have helped raised a cool kid.

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry about your loss. Also lost my younger brother at 24 to bowel cancer that spread to his liver.

It's tough. You're going to cry randomly and it'll take a while to get over it. I still find it unbelievable and it's been just over a year and a half.
Having family around helps and your partner as well.
Your son is still young so he will get over it quicker but he might randomly mention it and that'll trigger another emotional wave.

all I can offer is my condolences and say just cry if you need to. It's difficult but you got to remain strong for your family

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for your loss op, terrible. Its strange trying to explain death to a 6 year old, my son took the loss of his stepfather in stride, but he was very sick for a while before the end (parkinson's) and my son was present for a serious fall. good luck.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
My dad passed in 2013 during breakfast and completely out of nowhere. The only thing that helps is time. Being around people you can lean on helps too. RIP, sorry for your loss OP.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
Sorry for your loss, OP.

I lost my dad in 2018. It too, was a surprise. The only advice I can offer is not to run away and hide in this time of exceptional grief. Be strong, embrace the reality of the situation and how it's about to impact you and your family. The pain is the pain and you can take solace from the depth of feeling his loss provokes in you, as it proves the strength of your love and your bond. It doesn't lessen the pain, but you will feel better dedicating your energy to family things as much as possible. Spend time with family you don't see enough of. Try to be a hands-on participant in the arrangement of the funeral, even if that is not your assumed role - I arranged pallbearers to be a mix of friends and family, and wrote some words. It helped with the feeling of idleness, as so often in grief you feel like everything you do has been rendered pointless and meaningless by the magnitude of losing someone. Your life is going to be trapped inside the orbit of this grief for a while, so the best thing you can do is accept it, stay busy, don't block out your feelings, and be a rock for other people. Do things you know would have made him proud. Time will do the rest.

I don't have children, so I don't know how you explain that kind of thing. I hope it goes as well as possible.

OP
OP

PRBoricua23

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Thanks for all the kind words everyone, I'm still in shock really, it happened very suddenly. He woke up yesterday vomiting blood so we called an EMS. He walked out on his own power and I never, ever thought he'd be gone literally overnight.

My son is with me, so I haven't had a chance to really process this the way I'd like to (yet). He goes home tomorrow and I imagine that's when the process will really start for me.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
I'm lucky enough to not have lost a parent yet, so I can only offer you my sincere condolences. I'm so sorry for your loss. Please take care of yourself in this trying time.

Superplex

Nov 4, 2017
<3
I'm so sorry to hear that...my condolences

Both of my parents died in the same week in January and it was the absolute worst time in my life

I won't lie, you've got a rough time ahead of you, but in time you will find that you're a lot stronger than you may feel right now

Do things to honor his memory by strengthening the bonds that you have with the rest of your family and continuing to be a great father yourself

I know I'm a total stranger, but please feel free to PM me if you want to talk about anything at all

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
My condolences. I can't help you man...

I learned some time ago that my grandpa on my mom's side is also stuck with cancer to his lungs (caused from asbestos when he was young (in the 60s)). He's on a timer basically. So, yeah. FUCKING CANCER.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
I'm so sorry. 😔
I lost my dad a few months ago.
Sounds so dumb but I never thought it would happen. Now that it has I've been really numb. I haven't lost myself in it but I've probably not thought of it all enough.
He was a sweet, sweet man.

Candeldandel

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest
I'm sorry about your dad, op. I lost my mom today as well, 16 years ago. There aren't really words that fit for situations such as these. It'll be weird and sad for a while, but however you grieve, time will help.

Swimble_87

Oct 27, 2017
So sorry to read about this, OP - I think the greatest advice I have read in this thread (and there has been a lot of it) is to not stifle how you are feeling and allow yourself to grieve. I wish you and your family all the best and hope you can help each other to keep going.

I don't have a comparable experience but the stories in this thread still feel like they resonate - my father was diagnosed with Parkinson's a few years ago and that is very upsetting to see progress, how it gradually takes away who my dad was, an eternally "young" and cheerful man - incredibly emotional, and at times it feels as though I am grieving for who he used to be, just makes me wish I could go back to how things used to be, with all of this being far far away in the future...

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I lost my mom to liver cancer 10 yrs ago. Tbh, I still haven't completely gotten over her death. From time to time, I would think about her and how happy she would be if she had a chance to hug her grandchild.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't lost my father, but I have lost, and this is just some things that I do.

- Give yourself time to process. Take your bereavement--even some vacation days on top if you need it. Really think about it, and don't be afraid to let your emotions out.

- Keep busy, but don't do normal activities/things you love. I recommend spending time with loved ones and family mostly. Talk about things. Spend time going for walks with your dog if you have one. Make sure you get sleep. Music, TVs, games, and movies, may seem like great ways to distract yourself, and they can be. However, you will always associate this awful time in your life with whatever you spend your time doing. It can affect other things you love. Don't put your favorite album on repeat, for example, if you don't want it to always bring you back to this time.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I lost my Mum last January and I felt like my world turned upside down.

Nothing I can really tell you will help you feel any better, but please don't be afraid to try and enjoy yourself. I found at least when my Mum first died that I felt guilty doing anything I enjoyed, because she wasn't there anymore and why should I be able to have fun at a time like this. It's going to get a lot easier after the funeral, it's the waiting for the funeral which was the hardest part for me.

If you need to cry, cry. If you don't need to cry, don't feel like you're a bad person because you're not crying 24/7. Grief hits people differently and when you need to cry you will do. You'll have feelings of sadness for a long time (I still feel sad my Mum is gone even now over 18 months on) but always try to hold on to the good memories as once the funeral is all over and done with you'll likely not be able to remember this awful period at all. Maybe that was just me, but I can't remember the 2 weeks between her dying and the funeral, it's all just a blur for me. Even the funeral is.

Oct 28, 2017
Lost both my parents 9 months apart(9 years). It was almost unbearable. I still have never been able to talk about my mom being gone.

She would have loved the MCU and that always makes me smile.