• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
mostly full of duds. the art team is pulling most of the weight which is why i keep watching but most episodes lack real stakes because rick is constantly portrayed as god and what few character flaws he has are usually not challenged by the cast of characters in a way that makes it apparent that they are really flaws.

So, like the previous three seasons.

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
It was ok.. I felt like the story would of been better if it wasn't a dragon but an alien and the story was more about exploring the planet and more on the concept of lust.

The beginning just drags on too long, the only interesting part was the dragons colony and that ended quicker than it should be.

The humor had moments but it felt a bit broad.
I didn't like how rick pointed out the staff was a dildo it would of been funnier if he didn't say anything . The earlier seasons we had dicks everywhere in the background and Rick didn't say shit so why now lol

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Slightly lukewarm on the episode as a whole but the dragon was an awesome character, really loved the performance.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
They should've not premiered in 2019 if this is the bar of quality they're hitting. I could've waited longer. Oh well.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Slut dragons....

I feel the bottom of the barrel is being scraped at this point.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
S4 has sucked, IMO.

But I liked the show's original premise where Rick knew all and Morty was occasionally dragged along, rather than Morty just being like Rick but a little less shitty. Morty used to be the viewer, and now Morty is just a lesser Rick. There also used to be less outlandish and more existential episodes, but now it just seems like they keep trying to top the craziness of the prior episode.

Last edited:

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
Something about this season just isn't working for me. I'm laughing and I'm enjoying the episodes enough, but something about it doesn't feel like Rick and Morty to me. The third season had some serious duds, but I think I prefer it to this season so far. Not much of this season has been memorable to me.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I laughed pretty hard at the scene where they met all the other dragons and the Justin Roiland one.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Something about the last two episodes aren't clicking with me at all. Very curious to watch some analysis later down the line to figure out what it is exactly.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Something about this season just isn't working for me. I'm laughing and I'm enjoying the episodes enough, but something about it doesn't feel like Rick and Morty to me. The third season had some serious duds, but I think I prefer it to this season so far. Not much of this season has been memorable to me.

The show lacks the heart of earlier seasons and the structure. They are just moving between neat ideas now instead of creating neat ideas around story beats. The "rick is a god" factor is also off the charts.

Still capable of some laughs but now it's devolving into bad sci-fi Family Guy instead of being something much more.

I looked at the writers and, outside of E1, they all have new-to-the-show writers

E2 - Michael Waldron (Community, Harmonquest)
E3 - Catie Delaney (Last Man Standing)
E4 - Jeff Loveness (Jimmy Kimmel)

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it just me or has there been surprisingly little buzz about this season? It feels like an episode comes out and barely anyone notices or cares. It might just be me but i don't remember having this feeling with the earlier seasons at all. Has the viewership been consistent with earlier seasons?

Also yeah most of these new episode's have been pretty lame.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Is it just me or has there been surprisingly little buzz about this season? It feels like an episode comes out and barely anyone notices or cares. It might just be me but i don't remember having this feeling with the earlier seasons at all. Has the viewership been consistent with earlier seasons?

Also yeah most of these new episode's have been pretty lame.

A lot of obnoxious fans from season 3 with the "0mG, iM pIcKLE rIcK; y0u hAvE tO hAvE 420 Iq tO uNdErStAnD tHiS sH0w" deflated the hype for many. I still enjoy the show a lot but steer clear of the fanbase

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Frankly this episode is the most I've laughed all season, great episode

I really wanna know what Jerry and Rick saw, but I guess that'd ruin the mystery...

That dude on the yacht had an Ash Ketchum hat

I peeped that

It was ok.. I felt like the story would of been better if it wasn't a dragon but an alien and the story was more about exploring the planet and more on the concept of lust.

Doing this with some random alien is kinda missing the point

The joke is that you don't normally associate lust/horniess with dragons

Also there's just something about the phrase "slut dragon" (especially it being repeated several times) that's hilarious to me despite how blatantly juvenile it is lol

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How do we go from a great first couple of episodes to two bombs in a row?

Heist episode and Dragon episode were really bad. There was really no point in the episodes in the stretch of things.

Oct 25, 2017
I lost it with Rick and Jerry discover the origin of the talking cat.

Matthew Broderick is a strange, strange cat, indeed.

I do feel that people are overlooking the whole "cool yatch reality TV life" being another 'don't ask questions, just have fun' thing, and that even after everyone learning that lesson, the cat goes right back to make the exact same mistake. As does, presumably, Jerry. Rick gets proven 'right as always', sure, but it's not without a price. Could have done without the whole slut-shaming thing though.

I'm fairly sure the internet is going to turn the whole wizard thing into something else though. Because clearly that was a reference to the patriarchy and not just a dumb joke about D&D that Harmon is like, super into...

Iceman

Oct 26, 2017
Alhambra, CA
I looked at the writers and, outside of E1, they all have new-to-the-show writers

E2 - Michael Waldron (Community, Harmonquest)
E3 - Catie Delaney (Last Man Standing)
E4 - Jeff Loveness (Jimmy Kimmel)

FYI, as far as any criticism is concerned, do consider that every episode is effectively written by the room (by committee), with Dan and Justin both with oversight responsibility. Lead writing credit is closer to a lottery/it's-your-turn system.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone hated the Ocean's Eleven episode but I thought it was hilarious and the best of the season, which overall had been top tier.

The dragon episode was shit ass trash boring.

lol

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Feels like things are running on auto pilot. Usually we have something heartbreaking, bleak, redeeming, tug at the heart strings. I guess the toilet episode attempted that but the resolution of that episode was kinda flat because we've seen Rick way lower.
The joke is that you don't normally associate lust/horniess with dragons

Also there's just something about the phrase "slut dragon" (especially it being repeated several times) that's hilarious to me despite how blatantly juvenile it is lol
Hmmmmmm. Hmmmmmm.

Quiksaver

Oct 26, 2017
eluB1vk.png

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I think I know what I'm missing from this season. Getting the same amount of cynicism but without any of the hope. The closest you get is the wasp being the family man.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm more interested in the cat who did/lived through something horrible and just wants to have a good time. It wasn't evil or a threat because Rick just wanted it to go away rather than killing it.

Hopefully the cat will return.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jeez, that was the worst episode yet. Between this and Mandalorian this week, I'm sad. Hopefully Watchmen was good.

Enjoyed the cat reveal at the end - that was funny. The rest felt like a new team took over and tried to do a copycat Rick and Morty.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
People didn't like the heist episode? Huh. I loved it. That was some rapid-fire, deconstructive, hysterical, satirical shit! How do you ever do a heist plot or episode again after that?

Last edited:

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
People didn't like the heist episode? Huh. I loved it. That was some rapid-fire, deconstructive, hysterical satire! How do you ever do a heist plot or episode again after that?

The reason I personally disliked it is partially that some of my favorite films are heist films but partially because the satire seemed misplaced. Good heist films use the heist as just a medium to tell arcs of the characters such as Revolver or The Brothers Bloom. The irony to me is that I miss Rick and Morty having character arcs as this season seems to be lacking. The whole episode I was waiting for the characteristic turn to show some new part of one of the characters as a contrast to the triviality of the heist plot, but we didn't get that. In the end it was less a critique and more a rant.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
The dragon who fucks wooly mammoths and sounds just like Morty got the biggest laugh out of me for whatever reason, on paper it sounds so stupid but I can't lie I was laughing hysterically when he and 'shadowjacker' crawled out of their holes, and then again when the shellshocked wooly mammoth was seen as a member of the 'slut slut phoenix dragon slut'

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
real talk im not really sure what the message about slut-shaming was in this episode and i dont really think it came off as positive at all

i cant really say what i want this show to be about but i do find it frustrating how god-mode rick tends to be almost all the time, even when he should be completely out of his element. like maybe this is my fault for thinking these stories should have stakes that dont instantly get solved all the time when rick gets like 10 seconds to figure out what to do. rick is maybe out of his element for like a minute total before the writers just give him a machine that can do anything.

the writers want us to think heist movies and magic is dumb but at the same time cant figure out anything more interesting to fill the void theyve created it feels. rick wouldnt even have done anything if his life wasn't tied to the dragon's, but even if it turned out he couldn't do anything, theyve already set up that rick can come back from death whenever he wants from wasp rick's phoenix vat and we've literally had a episode already where rick can change the properties of magic.

and again, if they want us to care about continuity by bringing up past elements like the mind eraser from mind blowers, it feels like there will constantly always be zero stakes.

The best episode this season were the ones where Rick was actually challenged, either physically trying to get back to his universe or emotionally dealing with the pain of losing someone close to him.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
The dragon who fucks wooly mammoths and sounds just like Morty got the biggest laugh out of me for whatever reason, on paper it sounds so stupid but I can't lie I was laughing hysterically when he and 'shadowjacker' crawled out of their holes, and then again when the shellshocked wooly mammoth was seen as a member of the 'slut slut phoenix dragon slut'
He sounded a like like Morty, but he sounded exactly like Ants In My Eyes Johnson. :)

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
1>4>3>2

I miss some of the emotional punch the show used to have. Like Rick killing the pedo bean guy for Morty or having to abandon their reality cause they messed it up too much. Bushworld Adventures was a better R&M episode than most of this current season.

bazzi

Dec 19, 2017
The whole season is great so far and we're not even halfway thru, a lot of y'all are crazy

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
This is a bit of a weird thought with this week's episode, but while Rick taking Jerry's memory away to help him might seem kind on a glance, I get a feeling this might hint at a deeper thing that's been going on. It looked for a moment there like Jerry from the trauma was going to grow as a person, he talks about how he thinks he shouldn't forget and to take responsibility and learn from what happened. It's actually maybe the most mature we've seen Jerry in the series, even if it was traumatic it seemed like Jerry was going to go to bat and grow from this. But Rick deleted the memory and Jerry went back to his old kinda' immature self.

My main take-away of all things this episode is maybe Rick's done this before? Like what if any time Jerry is about to have character growth, Rick's stepped in to stop that to keep Jerry as being his sorta' punching bag. I think it'd actually make a lot of sense with past episodes even that Rick maybe has forcibly kept Jerry in line to be underdeveloped and immature so he can have this kinda' twisted relationship with his son-in-law where he's an idiot and never grows up and Rick can easily hate him but still take care of him, but complain about it.

Of course, I could be reading too deep into it. I know part of it is a gag, but the show often likes to tie together gags and character moments. And I understand supposedly what was in there was so horrible that it even took Rick aback and he even tried to protect Jerry from seeing it initially and considered shooting himself over it for a second. So it's framed as an act of kindness on Rick's part in the episode, which is a bit unusual for Rick towards Jerry. But the thing is, it seemed like Jerry was maybe actually going to grow from that, and I can't help but think the "act of kindness" Rick shows Jerry is only coated that way, especially as Jerry seemed to realize the significance of him knowing what happened to help him mature, feeling he needed to keep this memory. The scene could also be taken that Rick realizes this moment would help Jerry mature, and then just stops that from happening.

Just my thoughts from the end of the episode.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
This is a bit of a weird thought with this week's episode, but while Rick taking Jerry's memory away to help him might seem kind on a glance, I get a feeling this might hint at a deeper thing that's been going on. It looked for a moment there like Jerry from the trauma was going to grow as a person, he talks about how he thinks he shouldn't forget and to take responsibility and learn from what happened. It's actually maybe the most mature we've seen Jerry in the series, even if it was traumatic it seemed like Jerry was going to go to bat and grow from this. But Rick deleted the memory and Jerry went back to his old kinda' immature self.

My main take-away of all things this episode is maybe Rick's done this before? Like what if any time Jerry is about to have character growth, Rick's stepped in to stop that to keep Jerry as being his sorta' punching bag. I think it'd actually make a lot of sense with past episodes even that Rick maybe have forcibly kept Jerry in line to be underdeveloped so he can have this kinda' twisted relationship with his son in law where he's an idiot and never grows up and he can hate him but still take care of him but complain about it.

Of course, I could be reading too deep into it. I know part of it is a gag, but the show often likes to tie together gags and character moments. And I understand supposedly what was in there was so horrible that it even took Rick aback and he even tried to protect Jerry from seeing it initially and considered shooting himself over it for a second. So it's framed as an act of kindness on Rick's part in the episode, which is a bit unusual for Rick towards Jerry. But the thing is, it seemed like Jerry actually was actually maybe going to grow from that, and I can't help but think the "act of kindness" Rick shows Jerry is only coated that way, especially as Jerry seemed to realize the significance of him knowing to help him mature. And the scene could also be taken that Rick realizes this moment would help Jerry mature, and then just stops that from happening.

I think you may be right as they joke it's season finale material in the episode. Maybe giving weight to all the weightlessness through some Morty's Mind Benders stuff

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Of course, I could be reading too deep into it.

No, I definitely see that. But they haven't veered much into heart/character development this season so far, so it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. The toilet guy was the closest they got. Maybe E5 will leave things in a place that makes splitting the season worth it.

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is probably the nicest Rick's been to Jerry since The Whirly Dirly Conspiracy

OP
OP
Z-Beat

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

My main take-away of all things this episode is maybe Rick's done this before? Like what if any time Jerry is about to have character growth, Rick's stepped in to stop that to keep Jerry as being his sorta' punching bag. I think it'd actually make a lot of sense with past episodes even that Rick maybe has forcibly kept Jerry in line to be underdeveloped and immature so he can have this kinda' twisted relationship with his son-in-law where he's an idiot and never grows up and Rick can easily hate him but still take care of him, but complain about it.

Of course, I could be reading too deep into it. I know part of it is a gag, but the show often likes to tie together gags and character moments. And I understand supposedly what was in there was so horrible that it even took Rick aback and he even tried to protect Jerry from seeing it initially and considered shooting himself over it for a second. So it's framed as an act of kindness on Rick's part in the episode, which is a bit unusual for Rick towards Jerry. But the thing is, it seemed like Jerry was maybe actually going to grow from that, and I can't help but think the "act of kindness" Rick shows Jerry is only coated that way, especially as Jerry seemed to realize the significance of him knowing what happened to help him mature, feeling he needed to keep this memory. The scene could also be taken that Rick realizes this moment would help Jerry mature, and then just stops that from happening.

I don't doubt that Rick's wiped Jerry's memory to get rid of his character development before, but in this case I think it was purely out of pity for Jerry. Whatever they saw almost made Rick kill himself and reduced Jerry to a sobbing mess in a fetal position of vomit. Rick likely wiped Jerry's mind past the point where he was fed up with the cat so he wouldn't actively seek it out again because "it's from space" was no longer a satisfying answer. He's basically taking the burden on to be the one who remembers whatever the hell they saw and sparing Jerry that pain.

Nov 9, 2017
I feel like this season has suffered quite a bit. The plot seems very weak so far and a lot the jokes/gags feel a bit to try-hard. Still worth watching but not up to my expectations after the first 3 seasons.