• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Richard Lewis (an esports journalist and former journalist at Breitbart and TheDailyDot, incase anyone doesn't recognise the name) recently won the award for eSports Journalist of the Year. In his winning speech he specifically calls out Polygon, Waypoint and Kotaku for writing 'hit pieces, smears and telling half truths' in the eSports scene. Unsurpisingly you can see DrDisrespect giving him a standing ovation during the speech.

Clip of him calling out other outlets:

Whole speech here for context:

Last edited:

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's a good investigative journalist and has exposed a ton of shady shit in the esports scene -

but.

man do I dislike the dude.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Hard to swallow when it veered into conspiracy theory at the end.

"They write these stuff because they want to take out some of you and replace them with their cronies".

VoltySquirrel

Oct 25, 2017
This might be construed as a drive-by, but lol

remember when he ran the worst Tekken tourney of all time on national tv

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Richard Lewis and Thorin are two of the worst people in the eSports industry, so cry me a river Richard. The industry would be better off without both of them in it.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_pqngfkmFSs1rjn08v_500.gif

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unless he's going to cite actual pieces he takes issue with he's pandering to the KIA crowd and he knows it.

Edit: Ok now that I've seen the speech in full it's good that he recognizes Cecilia D's work. The CSGO Major event piece I will have to read but I completely disagree with RL defending DrDisrespect against getting slammed by any writer calling out hispublic bathroom livestream stunt.

Last edited:

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
What hit pieces? Oh no, they called out Ninja for not wanting to stream with women (women are scary because it's the 1800's & they now have opinions & want to vote, can't have that)
Fuck this guy.

Oct 27, 2017
Richard Lewis and Thorin are two of the worst people in the eSports industry, so cry me a river Richard. The industry would be better off without both of them in it.

CSGO and LOL players would be in a much worse situation than they are now. Richard Lewis was the one to publish information which impacted the way Riot, ESL and esports orgs dealt with players.

CSGO match fixing, MYM drama, CSGO league monopolies, orgs not paying players, calling out dodgy espots events/orgs, Riot and LOL subreddit connections etc.

You can dislike the person RL, his political views or behavior, but you cannot deny the impact he had with the reporting on esports scene.

Skyejack

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2019
On one hand he's a piece of shit. On the other hand, I wouldn't give a shit if the three sites he mentioned disappeared forever. So let them fight, I guess.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Someone stop Geoff from nominating him for trending gamer

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
CSGO and LOL players would be in a much worse situation than they are now. Richard Lewis was the one to publish information which impacted the way Riot, ESL and esports orgs dealt with players.

CSGO match fixing, MYM drama, CSGO league monopolies, orgs not paying players, calling out dodgy espots events/orgs, Riot and LOL subreddit connections etc.

You can dislike the person RL, his political views or behavior, but you cannot deny the impact he had with the reporting on esports scene.
Yeah, was wondering why he won despite so many in here took issue with him. Thanks.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
imagine complaining about "hit pieces, smears and half-truths" when you worked for breitbart, my dude

a "half-truth" would be an aspiration for most of those folks

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Hateful prick trying to whip up some controversy to gain from the free publicity. The best thing to do is just ignore him and let him keep screaming into the wind. Don't play the game he wants you to play. It's the same shit that people like Katie Hopkins / Ann Coulter do. Even bad publicity drives numbers to their social media accounts or blogs.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to swallow when it veered into conspiracy theory at the end.

"They write these stuff because they want to take out some of you and replace them with their cronies".

WTF does this even mean? Does Polygon have an army of eSports competitors waiting in the wings? Kotaku? WTF even is an eSport crony?

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
Of course someone who worked at Breitbart, incited a harassment campaign against a trans person for literally no fucking reason & threatened on stream to have another industry person stalked by a PI & whatever fucking else he did would say that shit lmao fuck off

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Looked at the winners of esport awards and I guess the gentrification of esport is actually real after all

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah... knowing this dude worked at Breitbart literally tells me everything I'll ever need to know about him.

Scum.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
He's throwing red meat to the specific crowd of gamer chuds that already hate those sites because he's one of those gamer chuds.

RL is an asshole.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, was wondering why he won despite so many in here took issue with him. Thanks.

I don't follow RL anymore, but from the speech, it seems like he was at the spearhead at Echo Fox behind-the-scenes reporting.

I think he had an insanely difficult time when he started reporting about Riot. Riot pushed so many strings to blacklist him from everything they had influence over. It went as far as LoL subreddit (supposedly impartial) removing any content which featured RL as a guest... I think this pushed him into an "alliance" with more alt-right figures in gaming, but I am glad he survived.

I don't know if he has some kind of autobiography video, explaining his career from like 2000 to today, but it is full of twists and turns. He is THE esports journalist, there is nobody else who broke even half of the stories RL has, nor risked their neck.

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hate this fucking industry sometimes. I need a blacklist of outlets, awards and people that enable platforms for these horrible assholes.