behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably about real sponsored devices. I don't think that I signed anything that Apple forbids me to show my Apple device in a film while being the villain.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
Few things.

1. That is a dumb requirement by Apple, but I'm not really all that surprised. I feel like dumb stuff is par for the course with them.

2. I appreciate Rian's honesty, but now I feel like in any modern mystery movie, I'm going to pay attention to whether it's an iPhone or an Android now.

3. Did I mention that's super dumb from Apple?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
There are very few things worse in film or TV than generic search engines and shit like that. Pay the money (or get paid!), use the real thing.
It is a treat how far they go to refer to a real product without using the real name. Like instead of Amazon they will say "Redwood" cause techincally the Redwood force is a rainforest

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Immersion breaking, for any movie meant to be like irl at least. Having the avengers flying around nyc and seeing real landmarks and cities and stuff, but then they have a phone that is some fake brand is worse than product placement.
I always hated fake ass phones or computers in early aughts movies, it always took me out of the film.

If I see a character with an iPhone or Android, I'm focusing on the scene. If I see them with some weird ass phone with a pear logo, then I'm just focusing on the phone.

It seems most movies now-a-days have real phones, though. I can't remember the last time I saw some 3D printed monstrosity.

Tom_Cody

Oct 28, 2017
I'm an Android user too.

8ubGFLt.gif
😂

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Does Apple's market research really show that people have demonstrative negative reactions to Apple products if they see one used by a bad guy in a movie?

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
But but...
Mitch McConnell, Trumpy, Stephen Miller, and Bannon use iPhones 😨

In real actual living life 😮

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
There are very few things worse in film or TV than generic search engines and shit like that. Pay the money (or get paid!), use the real thing.
Oh no, I love that sort of thing. It used to be illegal for the BBC to show any actual brands at all in their programming, and the lengths they went to to avoid doing so were very fun in their own way.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
But I saw a bad guy with an iPhone in the Morning Show?
Apple cannot stop villains or anyone else from having iPhones, it's only when a product placement contract comes into play that Apple is in a position to make demands because they're paying the studio a lot of money.

what if you dont have a product placement contract and still give the bad guy an iphone?
Then nothing. If you don't have a product placement contract you decide. But you're not getting any money.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
But what if I want to set my movies in an optimistic future where the default search engine isn't run by an evil corporation that sells its users private data?

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Immersion breaking, for any movie meant to be like irl at least. Having the avengers flying around nyc and seeing real landmarks and cities and stuff, but then they have a phone that is some fake brand is worse than product placement.

Yeah, there's nothing more eye rolling when someone is taking a sip of a Coke or Pepsi and the label is perfectly facing the camera....every time.

Yes, I'm aware in this instance it was on purpose.
Waynes-World-pepsi.jpg

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Shyamalan's next feature - third act:

*Detective tracking serial killer, Day*

'B...but it can't be Steve who butchered those women'

*Movie slow-mo montages all moments of Steve using an iPhone throughout the movie*

*Cuts to Steve in the present, music flares as he peels off an Apple sticker on his phone to reveal....HUAWEI*

*Detective reaches for gun and calls SWAT*

Lol

Mar 30, 2019
Kekekeeeeee! MUUUUUAAHHHAHAHAH!! HYAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!

So you have finally unveiled my schemes after all this time Apple? We aren't so different you and I. OH BUT IT'S TOO LATE NOW! I unleashed my keikaku decades ago!

KEKEKE!

Total global saturation is at hand!

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
i dunno, would you really have had a problem with the Avengers using Stark brand phones?

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
Ah crap. I'm gonna have to somehow ignore any phones that appear in Knives Out, aren't I?

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
This so stupid. Reminds of Marvel not letting Capcom characters beating up Marvel characters in Infinite marketing.

Nobody cares about such stuff you dorks.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this seems weird, especially as house of cards (i.e. a show with morally repulsive characters) is full of apple tech.

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Weird. I was watching You on Netflix and the main character is using an iPhone in the second season. In the first season everyone was using some Android Phone. Like a galaxy s7. The main charactere certainly isnt a hero by any stretch. Maybe this just goes for big films and not TV shows.

illegal use! apple ninjas are already on the way to the netflix offices.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
There are very few things worse in film or TV than generic search engines and shit like that
Whenever someone says this I feel like I'm in a crazy dimension. Nothing is worse than blatantly being advertised at in the middle of a movie... "Oh here's some really important plot information, better stop to take a sip of this convenient pepsi can!"

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Whenever someone says this I feel like I'm in a crazy dimension. Nothing is worse than blatantly being advertised at in the middle of a movie... "Oh here's some really important plot information, better stop to take a sip of this convenient pepsi can!"
If you want me to believe your story is taking place in the real world, then it should reflect the real world. You can show google results without zooming in on the google logo. If they force you to show it, then so be it. Your analogy is not at all comparable btw.

Dot-N-Run

Oct 27, 2017
I am conflicted as to whether this is worse than off-brand product placement. Because when a somebody starts looking something up on Bing it completely kills the immersion.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
As it pertains to product placement in films/tv most companies don't allow their brands to be associated with "bad".

This is very common. You think Disney would let Jason put on a Mickey Mouse mask before he chopped people up?

5f304b78d2a27c8bdcf95cc13090f84f.jpg

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
as someone who does brand work professionally, literally nothing about this is surprising and this is the least egregious thing I've heard of before.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

Full vid. So much thought behind every scene whew.

This is one of the best breakdowns I've seen. So many just feel like PR and the director often doesn't have much to say beyond the obvious, but here Rian is actually breaking down the technical filmmaking of this scene. I highly suggest people give it a watch.