firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really confused why you think we're in the middle of a war. This is typical Hollywood. Take a real setting, tweak the culture a little bit to set the ground for a good story. Pretty standard. Is this topic only off limits because it takes place in "America?" Because your problem about the journalists being American does make me wonder if that's the case. The fact that you use Transformers as an example of what a good movie should be makes me wonder if you are arguing in good faith.
Transformers is not a good movie, but it doesn't take the position that there are no sides in a war either. I've watched a few reviews of the film from people who watched it at Sundance and it's like a combination of "this is cool in the moment shit" and "it doesn't ask you to think about why California with team up with Texas in a civil war" that just feels like Garland wanted to play with the idea of journalists in a war. Even if I take death of the author in stride and ignore what he says about his own politics or the fact that he thanks a TERF journalist or went out of his way to take footage from an alt-right reporter who steals other people's footage, it at the very least feels cowardly as a film when I could watch the amazing War Photographer again if I wanted to know what it feels like to document people being killed in a conflict right in front of them.

Christ, I just remembered that there was this shitty TNT show called The Last Ship that was about an American civil war and even they at least pointed out that fascism is bad. This seems almost worse than a Daily Wire film because at least they have an ethos. I respect that more than "politics is complicated, let's not think about it too much".

This was quoted earlier in this thread and I totally understand their reaction to the film and to the critics praising the film at least.

It takes a huge amount of privilege to talk about an apolitical American Civil War.

I'm not sure why I'm invested in this but like here's a random story about Texas' abortion law potentially killing a woman:
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2024/01/15/abortion-high-risk-pregnancy-yeni-glick
I'm just wondering in what world Texas would want to team up with California, unless California has also become some kind of woman-hating pro-life state and I just missed it.

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Andy Ngo's inclusion will absolutely be picked up on immediately and celebrated by the worst corners of the internet.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017

All the endorsement I needed.

A lot of the posts in this thread make me think of this

jay-and-silent-bob-ben-affleck.gif

Laephis

Jun 25, 2021
I have enough entertainment options on my plate right now, I don't need to give two shits about this movie and it's dumbass director. Next.

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
Transformers is not a good movie, but it doesn't take the position that there are no sides in a war either. I've watched a few reviews of the film from people who watched it at Sundance and it's like a combination of "this is cool in the moment shit" and "it doesn't ask you to think about why California with team up with Texas in a civil war" that just feels like Garland wanted to play with the idea of journalists in a war. Even if I take death of the author in stride and ignore what he says about his own politics or the fact that he thanks a TERF journalist or went out of his way to take footage from an alt-right reporter who steals other people's footage, it at the very least feels cowardly as a film when I could watch the amazing War Photographer again if I wanted to know what it feels like to document people being killed in a conflict right in front of them.

I had no idea who either of those people were before this thread. As far as I know, they aren't credited in any creative capacity. I'm sorry, but finding two random scumbags in a movie's credits seems like an unrealistically high bar that basically no mainstream movie would clear. And that's what this is: a mainstream movie.

Christ, I just remembered that there was this shitty TNT show called The Last Ship that was about an American civil war and even they at least pointed out that fascism is bad. This seems almost worst than a Daily Wire film because at least they have an ethos. I respect that more than "politics is complicated, let's not think about it too much".

Judging from the trailers, it looks like the president is a fascist and is bad. It's basically the inciting incident. Do you really need another movie that argues that fascism is bad? The zone of interest was terrific so maybe you should watch that instead. Fascism being bad seems to be the starting point. What I find interesting about this project is that it uses this fictional version of the U.S. to show a somewhat realistic depiction of what could happen if a fascist IS elected, and that seems like a universal message that should hit home to any American, regardless of what color of state they happen to live in. If this movie were framed in anything other than a fictional world, that message would fall on deaf ears for 50% of the audience. The sight of American icons in dc being leveled by explosives could be a potent argument of why we should be more careful who we elect every four years. And only one person running for president in real life is arguing for a third term.

It takes a huge amount of privilege to talk about an apolitical American Civil War.
I haven't seen the movie so I can't comment on this, but it takes even more privilege to tell a story like this with white supremacy intact. You mentioned the handmaid's tale, and maybe that comparison is apt, but they purposefully left out the white nationalism that was in the book. Why would anyone want to even watch a movie like that? Leaving it out was the right move. And just because the politics of the movie are made up doesn't mean it is apolitical.

Laephis

Jun 25, 2021
You seem like you're lost. This is the review thread.
What's the point of reviews if not to use them as a way to make a decision whether or not to watch? This thread has been very helpful and saved me some time that I can use toward other movies. The only thing that has me lost is your comment.

HiredN00bs

Oct 25, 2017
Laurel, MD
What's the point of reviews if not to use them as a way to make a decision whether or not to watch? This thread has been very helpful and saved me some time that I can use toward other movies. The only thing that has me lost is your comment.
Oh, I hadn't seen any of the reviews mentioned it is dumbass director

Last edited:

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea who either of those people were before this thread. As far as I know, they aren't credited in any creative capacity. I'm sorry, but finding two random scumbags in a movie's credits seems like an unrealistically high bar that basically no mainstream movie would clear. And that's what this is: a mainstream movie.

Judging from the trailers, it looks like the president is a fascist and is bad. It's basically the inciting incident. Do you really need another movie that argues that fascism is bad? The zone of interest was terrific so maybe you should watch that instead. Fascism being bad seems to be the starting point. What I find interesting about this project is that it uses this fictional version of the U.S. to show a somewhat realistic depiction of what could happen if a fascist IS elected, and that seems like a universal message that should hit home to any American, regardless of what color of state they happen to live in. If this movie were framed in anything other than a fictional world, that message would fall on deaf ears for 50% of the audience. The sight of American icons in dc being leveled by explosives could be a potent argument of why we should be more careful who we elect every four years. And only one person running for president in real life is arguing for a third term.

I haven't seen the movie so I can't comment on this, but it takes even more privilege to tell a story like this with white supremacy intact. You mentioned the handmaid's tale, and maybe that comparison is apt, but they purposefully left out the white nationalism that was in the book. Why would anyone want to even watch a movie like that? Leaving it out was the right move. And just because the politics of the movie are made up doesn't mean it is apolitical.
I mean the only reason I was interested in this film is because of Garland. I feel like I'm one of the few people who liked Annihilation, although admittedly I can't remember if it said anything now. Certainly Ex Machina did at least, and it wasn't just about hot robot babes.

I assume Garland is going to the press now because people have either directly asked him about the apolitical nature of the film or he's responding to the few negative reviews that are dinging the film for using an American civil war but avoiding everything about America having an actual civil war.

That said most reviewers love the film and are perfectly fine with what he wrote, even if they acknowledge it as an issue.

Variety
Meanwhile, ambiguities surrounding the origins of the conflict mean there's no way to defuse what we're watching. Sight unseen, "Civil War" has been criticized for exploiting tensions in an election year, when in fact, it's meant to illustrate the futility of "sides."

Guardian
How? It's a strange, violent dream of disorder, drained of ideological meaning.

THR
With this latest film, he sounds the alarm, wondering less about how a country walks blindly into its own destruction and more about what happens when it does.

It's just at this point, action films are dime a dozen and the idea of harrowing war journalism as entertainment feels trite when the IDF is assassinating journalists in Gaza. But I also accept that Americans will only care if it's a Kirsten Dunst pretending to be a war journalist, and taken in a vacuum that aspect of the film seems to be universally praised. The Guardian review also referenced Call of Duty and that's basically what this film seems like... an entertaining romp through Americans killing each other.

It's just disappointing to use American fascism as a backdrop and ignore everything about how it came about and only focus on the "fun" of a civil war backdrop. It looks like he finished writing the film in 2020, after the Jan 6 riots, so presumably he was inspired by that. If he was and the take away was "extremism in both sides is bad and can create the conditions for senseless civil war", it feels as tone deaf as an American writer/director asking why Ireland doesn't just join the UK and reunite with Northern Ireland and writing a movie about it.

Speaking of Handmaid's Tale - I stopped after S2 so I have no idea where it goes later on, but they made it very clear that the new United States was murdering queer men and basically mutilating queer women as part of its ideology. I'm pretty sure they pointed out that they were racist as well, but admittedly the show is a long distant memory.

I'm also all for dumb brainless shit though. I love RRR and while I understand that it's problematic because it's hyper-nationalist, not being Indian means that for better or for worse I enjoy that film without that context or baggage. Maybe if I didn't know about the American hellscape of half the country banning abortion and wanting to murder trans people, it'd be easy to just turn my brain off and enjoy the Call of Duty-esque action of blowing up monuments in DC and watching Americans commit war crimes against each other. The fact that this film is apolitical because presumably it's trying to appeal to those people who want women to be breeding factories and trans people to stop existing at the very least leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the only reason I was interested in this film is because of Garland. I feel like I'm one of the few people who liked Annihilation, although admittedly I can't remember if it said anything now. Certainly Ex Machina did at least, and it wasn't just about hot robot babes.

I assume Garland is going to the press now because people have either directly asked him about the apolitical nature of the film or he's responding to the few negative reviews that are dinging the film for using an American civil war but avoiding everything about America having an actual civil war.

That said most reviewers love the film and are perfectly fine with what he wrote, even if they acknowledge it as an issue.

Variety

Guardian

THR

It's just at this point, action films are dime a dozen and the idea of harrowing war journalism as entertainment feels trite when the IDF is assassinating journalists in Gaza. But I also accept that Americans will only care if it's a Kirsten Dunst pretending to be a war journalist, and taken in a vacuum that aspect of the film seems to be universally praised. The Guardian review also referenced Call of Duty and that's basically what this film seems like... an entertaining romp through Americans killing each other.

It's just disappointing to use American fascism as a backdrop and ignore everything about how it came about and only focus on the "fun" of a civil war backdrop. It looks like he finished writing the film in 2020, after the Jan 6 riots, so presumably he was inspired by that. If he was and the take away was "extremism in both sides is bad and can create the conditions for senseless civil war", it feels as tone deaf as an American writer/director asking why Ireland doesn't just join the UK and reunite with Northern Ireland and writing a movie about it.

Speaking of Handmaid's Tale - I stopped after S2 so I have no idea where it goes later on, but they made it very clear that the new United States was murdering queer men and basically mutilating queer women as part of its ideology. I'm pretty sure they pointed out that they were racist as well, but admittedly the show is a long distant memory.

I'm also all for dumb brainless shit though. I love RRR and while I understand that it's problematic because it's hyper-nationalist, not being Indian means that for better or for worse I enjoy that film without that context or baggage. Maybe if I didn't know about the American hellscape of half the country banning abortion and wanting to murder trans people, it'd be easy to just turn my brain off and enjoy the Call of Duty-esque action of blowing up monuments in DC and watching Americans commit war crimes against each other. The fact that this film is apolitical because presumably it's trying to appeal to those people who want women to be breeding factories and trans people to stop existing at the very least leaves a sour taste in my mouth.
Absolutely excellent post and fully agree.

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017

Variety

Guardian

THR

That's a fair opinion to have and thank you for explaining it so eloquently. It's hard to say whether this is a "fun" action movie when neither of us has seen it, but I imagine the movie you're describing would be pilloried from basically every reputable critic. The fact that it's not and that a24 is behind this is sort of what piqued my interest. I am not familiar with garland although I adored annihilation so at least we have that in common.

I know I am not the typical poster on era. I'm from a very blue family in a very red state. I am also queer and went to perhaps the most homophobic school in the country (byu). I read the newest bullshit our state legislature does and my blood boils. I went through years where I had nothing but hate in my heart. I am of the opinion that the left just can't win with hate; that's what the right does and it's toxic and soul crushing and is no way to live. Every red state has blue pockets and five million Texans voted for Biden. That's more people than LIVE in most states. I just hate it when someone looks at the color of my state on some electoral map and lumps people like me in with the Magats. It's not that simple and never has been.

You mentioned this would be like telling Ireland to join the UK, but this hyper partisanship is a fairly recent phenomenon. I see nothing wrong with a movie showing what destruction such a society could work if things continue down this path. It's really the beauty of sci-fi and horror and I think this movie has a little bit of both. Sure, it might not be for you, and that's perfectly fine. Personally I'm open to it and I hope it's actually good so we can have some discussions about it. But maybe I'm giving era too much credit.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I guess some of the discomfort is it being a fictional alternative reality but not enough to separate from it enough for Americans to say 'this isn't really us'. I wonder if people would find it easier to grasp if it had a clear sci-fi concept like Children of Men, which served to critique a lot of things that were to come in the UK before the Tories were in power, without directly bashing the Tories. My highest hopes would be for Civil War to be like Children of Men, a road movie through a possible dystopia with great set pieces, but that movie also failed commercially while being prophetic about things in the UK. I don't think it would have been a better movie if it was more directly referencing the Labour government in power at the time or the Iraq war without that remove the sci fi setting gave it.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
That's a fair opinion to have and thank you for explaining it so eloquently. It's hard to say whether this is a "fun" action movie when neither of us has seen it, but I imagine the movie you're describing would be pilloried from basically every reputable critic. The fact that it's not and that a24 is behind this is sort of what piqued my interest. I am not familiar with garland although I adored annihilation so at least we have that in common.

I know I am not the typical poster on era. I'm from a very blue family in a very red state. I am also queer and went to perhaps the most homophobic school in the country (byu). I read the newest bullshit our state legislature does and my blood boils. I went through years where I had nothing but hate in my heart. I am of the opinion that the left just can't win with hate; that's what the right does and it's toxic and soul crushing and is no way to live. Every red state has blue pockets and five million Texans voted for Biden. That's more people than LIVE in most states. I just hate it when someone looks at the color of my state on some electoral map and lumps people like me in with the Magats. It's not that simple and never has been.

You mentioned this would be like telling Ireland to join the UK, but this hyper partisanship is a fairly recent phenomenon. I see nothing wrong with a movie showing what destruction such a society could work if things continue down this path. It's really the beauty of sci-fi and horror and I think this movie has a little bit of both. Sure, it might not be for you, and that's perfectly fine. Personally I'm open to it and I hope it's actually good so we can have some discussions about it. But maybe I'm giving era too much credit.
The thing is, Garland is a talented writer (Sunshine's ending aside) and director. I'm not surprised that taken in a vacuum and ignoring the context, he was able to tell a compelling story about reporters covering a civil war in which they are active participants and critics seem to be able to forgive or even read what they want into the blank apolitical context of the actual civil war and connect with the core story.

I guess my thing is for all the talk about how BLM are terrorists and how both sides are somehow equally violent, it's shitheads like Rittenhouse who are violent and also get away with it. Maybe there are "left wing terrorists" blowing up... god knows what that I don't know about, but as far as I can tell one side is violent and wants to murder anyone who doesn't fit into their paradigm of normal and the other just wants to be able to live in peace and be treated like human beings.

I just think this centrist line that he's riding is offensive to the people who feel marginalized and under actual threat. You can't have both sides agree to end extremism and partisanship when one side literally wishes the other side literally didn't exist. One side thinks gay men are groomers and trans women want to sneak into women's bathrooms and rape cis women. How do you meet in the middle with that?

Most people are going to be okay with that, and the seemingly non-existent world building he created in order to have his action set pieces in the United States. He argues that the film is a statement against generic fascism, but what is the dark fascist reality under the left? Forced vaccinations and free health care? Forcing pregnant women to have abortions? Forcing people not to deadname or misgender trans people? The argument is that the fascist left are "National Socialists" but I think we all find that as stupid as the right saying that Republicans respect Black lives more than Democrats because they're the party of Lincoln.

I guess it depends if you agree with the premise that the right has reasonable positions that can be incorporated into mainstream thought. But where we are now is a far cry from debating the merits of Reaganomics.

From my understanding of the film itself, the Western Front's ideologies are never defined. It's possible that he created a "Blue Texas" that aligned with California to stop this evil president, but it's basically left to you to fill that in. So it's equally possible that California in this future is "Red".

Again, I hate the Daily Wire, but I at least respect that they don't think trans women have a right to exist and decided to make a shitty "comedy" to make that point. There's no ambiguity about where Ben Shapiro and Matt Walsh and Boring stand, and the film rolls in the shit of that ideology giving the person who hates trans women exactly what they want. It even has fucking Ted Cruz in it because I guess they thought it'd be funny to have him talk about wokeness.

It's not that I disagree with the thesis that "fascism" is bad. And if he just made a full science fiction film devoid of the specific American context, it'd be fine. But it feels like having your cake and eating it too, being able to rely on American imagery - US soldiers, probably tattered US flags, and US monuments getting blown up - but without offending anyone in the US.

And obviously he's not wrong since critics are fine with it and I assume most audiences will caught up in Dunst's performance and the action set pieces.

I guess some of the discomfort is it being a fictional alternative reality but not enough to separate from it enough for Americans to say 'this isn't really us'. I wonder if people would find it easier to grasp if it had a clear sci-fi concept like Children of Men, which served to critique a lot of things that were to come in the UK before the Tories were in power, without directly bashing the Tories. My highest hopes would be for Civil War to be like Children of Men, a road movie through a possible dystopia with great set pieces, but that movie also failed commercially while being prophetic about things in the UK. I don't think it would have been a better movie if it was more directly referencing the Labour government in power at the time or the Iraq war without that remove the sci fi setting gave it.
Hrm... I think so. At least for me Children of Men was "foreign" enough that it didn't really feel like it needed to explain the type of government response that would happen if society collapsed due to the lack of children. Admittedly, maybe that's also because I didn't think much about UK politics at the time, so that probably "helped".

Of course the debates are much different now than in 2006. In the UK, on one side you have JK Rowling denying that trans people were killed in the holocaust. I'm still wondering how you are supposed to negotiate with that position.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was good. Great sound design. Likeable characters. Movie went by too fast if anything, but I'm not going to dock it points for not overstaying its welcome like every other movie lately.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Woah, this movie was incredible. A lot more different than I was expecting. And a lot different than most people are expecting given the somewhat ridiculous discussion about its political nature. Which, on one hand is understandable because how can you make an apolitical movie about a modern day civil war in America? But it kinda is an apolitical movie. At least, apolitical in the way Americans would most likely view it.

The movie merely uses the civil war as a backdrop to tell a larger story about (photo)journalism, the senselessness of violence and desensitization of said violence. In which it cleverly uses the American backdrop to get through our own desensitization of such events and violence. If they told the exact same but in an African, Slavic or Asian country nobody would've been scouring every word to find the 'hidden political message' that points the finger to the bad guy. Nobody would've had any feelings about the killing of prisoners of war or torture of unarmed people if it were warring factions in an African conflict. But now that now that it's being done by Americans to other Americans we are suddenly obsessed by the violence and people are trying to groups in the movie to groups in real life to figure out if it aligns with their perspective of certain groups.

It truly shows how desensitized people have become it certain imagery. And the entire discussion around the movie shows how poignant the line 'What kind of American are you?' actually is. Which does show that incredible need for Americans to be told which side is bad in black and white so you know for which 'team' to root for

Anyway, the only thing that left a weird taste in my mouth is the ending of the film. I'm not entirely sure what to make of that one. Sure, it's about coming full circle with Jesse becoming as desensitized as Lee and replacing her as she gets killed, which is the entire point of the film. But Lee getting killed was maybe a bit goofy. And the entire scene with them killing the president and having the credits have the picture develop of the soldiers smiling at the dead body of the president has me scratching my head a bit. The entire film is, in my eyes, laser focused around the desensitization to violence and situations and not so much about pointing fingers. Yet, that very last moment does feel somewhat pointed at something, and I'm not sure at what or what it wants to say.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Woah, this movie was incredible. A lot more different than I was expecting. And a lot different than most people are expecting given the somewhat ridiculous discussion about its political nature. Which, on one hand is understandable because how can you make an apolitical movie about a modern day civil war in America? But it kinda is an apolitical movie. At least, apolitical in the way Americans would most likely view it.

The movie merely uses the civil war as a backdrop to tell a larger story about (photo)journalism, the senselessness of violence and desensitization of said violence. In which it cleverly uses the American backdrop to get through our own desensitization of such events and violence. If they told the exact same but in an African, Slavic or Asian country nobody would've been scouring every word to find the 'hidden political message' that points the finger to the bad guy. Nobody would've had any feelings about the killing of prisoners of war or torture of unarmed people if it were warring factions in an African conflict. But now that now that it's being done by Americans to other Americans we are suddenly obsessed by the violence and people are trying to groups in the movie to groups in real life to figure out if it aligns with their perspective of certain groups.

It truly shows how desensitized people have become it certain imagery. And the entire discussion around the movie shows how poignant the line 'What kind of American are you?' actually is. Which does show that incredible need for Americans to be told which side is bad in black and white so you know for which 'team' to root for

Anyway, the only thing that left a weird taste in my mouth is the ending of the film. I'm not entirely sure what to make of that one. Sure, it's about coming full circle with Jesse becoming as desensitized as Lee and replacing her as she gets killed, which is the entire point of the film. But Lee getting killed was maybe a bit goofy. And the entire scene with them killing the president and having the credits have the picture develop of the soldiers smiling at the dead body of the president has me scratching my head a bit. The entire film is, in my eyes, laser focused around the desensitization to violence and situations and not so much about pointing fingers. Yet, that very last moment does feel somewhat pointed at something, and I'm not sure at what or what it wants to say.
It has some choice imagery. Visuals that would not be shown on the news due to its content or even most films for that matter, yet the acts & concepts don't register more than a blip on the radar.

Kormora

Nov 7, 2017
Well made film with some great acting. But it's a truly harrowing and disturbing movie which left me depressed by the end. Honestly I thought this might be a bad year for such a film like this, but the marketing was very misleading tbh. Civil War contains themes about the importance of journalism, civil discourse, and moral courage. And also violence and how easily we become desensitized to it.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Wondering as well.

How do you fight nazis that want you dead for existing?
You wait for those outside the firing line to express how upset they are that civil discourse is so toxic these days and then post some empty platitudes on Instagram or TikTok. If they're feeling really hurt by the genocide they'll toss in a call back to the good old days where they didn't have to be aware of any of it.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
You wait for those outside the firing line to express how upset they are that civil discourse is so toxic these days and then post some empty platitudes on Instagram or TikTok. If they're feeling really hurt by the genocide they'll toss in a call back to the good old days where they didn't have to be aware of any of it.

Don't forget wagging their finger reminding women on the firing line that they could have it worse in other countries.

CalmYeti

Oct 27, 2017
Between those "thanks" and Garland's comments, this went from something I was interested in seeing in theaters to something I will skip entirely. There are too many other good movies in theaters right now.

Pretty disappointing since I liked Ex Machina, Annihilation, and Devs.

Last edited:

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
The comments about hate not being an asset are weird. How do people think soldiers are trained? What conflicts were fought and won without some hate?

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
What does this even mean?
I mean hate for people in the center. You can hate the magats all you want and fight tooth and nail with them, but the people in the middle aren't the same. Sure, they might be racist and enable racist politicians, but if you just lump them in with the magats, you're going to alienate them. You don't dehumanize them. They don't think they are racist at all but they will come to that conclusion eventually if you engage them with facts and a level head. Not all people who think of voting for trump are the same, and there are degrees to the awfulness of their views. I know quite a few people that voted for trump in 2016, including extended family members. But I don't shun them and blame them. I try to have an honest discussion with them about why they are backing a complete monster, and many of them have come around and won't vote for him again. Not every person is completely bad or completely good. But if we choose to hate them, and lump them all into the same camp like Clinton did with her comments while running, we are going to lose. We shouldn't treat these types of people as enemies but see them as people who can be rehabilitated. I've seen it work personally but I'm only one person. That's just my perspective from living in a red state. Maybe I'm too naive but that's my opinion.

I just think this centrist line that he's riding is offensive to the people who feel marginalized and under actual threat. You can't have both sides agree to end extremism and partisanship when one side literally wishes the other side literally didn't exist. One side thinks gay men are groomers and trans women want to sneak into women's bathrooms and rape cis women. How do you meet in the middle with that?

I agree that his comments about right and left wing are insensitive and really stupid. I don't see how anyone could argue with that. I haven't seen the film, but I don't think setting the film in a made up world is necessarily arguing for a centrist point of view. It's just removing any context to real politics completely, and if it can comment on what's at stake in our country this election year in a way that appeals to both the right and left, maybe it can help change some people's minds. It's hard to say whether that is the case without seeing the movie, but such a story seems possible if the movie is well done. We'll find out sooner or later I guess and it's fine that we can disagree about this sort of stuff. I appreciate your insight so thank you for responding in a thoughtful manner.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I agree that his comments about right and left wing are insensitive and really stupid. I don't see how anyone could argue with that. I haven't seen the film, but I don't think setting the film in a made up world is necessarily arguing for a centrist point of view. It's just removing any context to real politics completely, and if it can comment on what's at stake in our country this election year in a way that appeals to both the right and left, maybe it can help change some people's minds. It's hard to say whether that is the case without seeing the movie, but such a story seems possible if the movie is well done. We'll find out sooner or later I guess and it's fine that we can disagree about this sort of stuff. I appreciate your insight so thank you for responding in a thoughtful manner.
I'm probably going to watch this movie eventually, likely for free at some point, because it's Garland. He really didn't have to open his mouth though, he wants to feel like he has the moral highground when I don't think he does. That's fine if as a white British cis man he has no stake in what happens in America, and given that critics mostly love the film, I don't see why he felt the need to try to justify what he created.

Or just admit that you didn't want to get into the politics because you weren't interested in that at all. Like Snyder loves 9-11 imagery so much he can't help but show destroyed cities and towers blowing up in his films, but as far as I know he doesn't claim Rebel Moon or Superman is a deep political commentary on the nature of fascism either.

But yeah, I guess we can only see what the film is like ourselves. I fully respect people who just see Andy Ngo or Helen Lewis being used/thanked in the credits and just noping out though. There's probably thousands of hours of "rioting" footage in the world, so choosing to use Ngo's footage is a choice.

Squidmaster7

Banned
Feb 24, 2021

Variety

Guardian

THR

I just saw an interview with him on The Daily Show where he said it was finished before Jan 6th. I'm not sure what you're trying to say with the first line of your post. He clearly isnt using war as entertainment. He has repeatedly said in interviews that this movie is about the importance of journalism and is distinctly anti-war. If people are latching onto the violence and warfare as entertainment that is their misinterpretation. I dont see how a reasonable takeaway is that Alex Garland is trying to appeal to conservatives or bigots. Even a cursory knowledge of his work and interviews should make that clear.

May 24, 2019
And the entire scene with them killing the president and having the credits have the picture develop of the soldiers smiling at the dead body of the president has me scratching my head a bit. The entire film is, in my eyes, laser focused around the desensitization to violence and situations and not so much about pointing fingers. Yet, that very last moment does feel somewhat pointed at something, and I'm not sure at what or what it wants to say.
To the soldiers it's a moment of celebration and camaraderie landing the big kill, but for the audience I'm sure they're supposed to be creeped out that it got to that point (and with our lead dead), and being presented with it in an ironic positive tone heightens that. It's like a Vietnam movie when the mission is a successful and the 70's rock song kicks in.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I just saw an interview with him on The Daily Show where he said it was finished before Jan 6th. I'm not sure what you're trying to say with the first line of your post. He clearly isnt using war as entertainment. He has repeatedly said in interviews that this movie is about the importance of journalism and is distinctly anti-war. If people are latching onto the violence and warfare as entertainment that is their misinterpretation. I dont see how a reasonable takeaway is that Alex Garland is trying to appeal to conservatives or bigots. Even a cursory knowledge of his work and interviews should make that clear.
Setting it in an American civil war but not touching on any of the politics or getting into the world building feels like it's deliberately avoiding making a stance. Reviewers who like the film have acknowledged this as a legitimate criticism of the film at least, so it's not people just nitpicking it to death either. It's using the violence as a backdrop for the Dunst character and the other journalists to react to the atrocities of war, which is perfectly fine.

But when you're using people's real life anxieties of being actively targetted by legislation, by the police, and by bigots who want to kill you and treating it as a storytelling sandbox, I think people have every right to feel offended by that.

I remember when people were offended that someone would make a video game about Fallujah. I never played the game that eventually came out, but I'm going to assume it ignored the war crimes and just treated it like a cool place to set an FPS.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I fundamentally don't believe a war can be divorced from political realities and context of the time and make much of a serious statement so if that's the (entire) stance the movie already kind of loses me there.

I'm still going to see it though. Maybe there is context not being picked up on in reviews idk. This whole stance probably isn't very surprising in that he also made an "apolitical" Dredd movie didn't he?

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017

LOL the countless interviews he's given on the press tour where he bemoans the "extremes" on "both sides" and pretends the left in America is remotely similar to what's happening on the right?

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I know quite a few people that voted for trump in 2016, including extended family members. But I don't shun them and blame them. I try to have an honest discussion with them about why they are backing a complete monster, and many of them have come around and won't vote for him again.
This is off topic but I sincerely mean this and it will satisfy a curiosity/theory that I've had for a while when I hear this. After the election, please ask these people in your family to honestly tell you If they followed through and just DM me with how many actually remained convinced. I seriously want to know. I'm completely asking in good faith. I'm not trying to be a dick.

Oct 25, 2017
I fundamentally don't believe a war can be divorced from political realities and context of the time and make much of a serious statement so if that's the (entire) stance the movie already kind of loses me there.

I'm still going to see it though. Maybe there is context not being picked up on in reviews idk. This whole stance probably isn't very surprising in that he also made an "apolitical" Dredd movie didn't he?

Having just left the cinema, this is a fair take.

The film in my view doesn't attempt to have a serious statement. If it did, it was lost on me. It was a mood piece about war journalism and the spooky vibe of it being set in YOUR back yard, but there's not much more to it than that. Jesse Plemons playing a racist is the closest the film gets to having a position, and it's very very thin. War bad, yknow. War make all bad.

Still, has a lot of beautiful shots and excellent performances from the leads, good tension throughout . The arc of getting a rush from the warzone was well told, though the last act was a bit goofy.

It'll be up to the world whether to get worked up about both sideism or not, or being a moral coward in not setting any politics, but I just don't think Garland cared at all about it.

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
I'm probably going to watch this movie eventually, likely for free at some point, because it's Garland. He really didn't have to open his mouth though, he wants to feel like he has the moral highground when I don't think he does. That's fine if as a white British cis man he has no stake in what happens in America, and given that critics mostly love the film, I don't see why he felt the need to try to justify what he created.

Or just admit that you didn't want to get into the politics because you weren't interested in that at all. Like Snyder loves 9-11 imagery so much he can't help but show destroyed cities and towers blowing up in his films, but as far as I know he doesn't claim Rebel Moon or Superman is a deep political commentary on the nature of fascism either.

But yeah, I guess we can only see what the film is like ourselves. I fully respect people who just see Andy Ngo or Helen Lewis being used/thanked in the credits and just noping out though. There's probably thousands of hours of "rioting" footage in the world, so choosing to use Ngo's footage is a choice.
Yeah, I agree with you on both topics. I had honestly never heard of Ngo before and maybe someone fell for a right wing grift. It looks like he has written articles for places like the Wall Street journal so I could see how producer could see his resume and not know about his work as an alt-right influencer. As for Lewis, that is more inexcusable, and I could see why someone wouldn't be comfortable supporting the movie because of that.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Yeah, I agree with you on both topics. I had honestly never heard of Ngo before and maybe someone fell for a right wing grift. It looks like he has written articles for places like the Wall Street journal so I could see how producer could see his resume and not know about his work as an alt-right influencer. As for Lewis, that is more inexcusable, and I could see why someone wouldn't be comfortable supporting the movie because of that.

It seems weird to make a modern American Civil War movie with an inciting incident apparently called "The Antifa Massacre" and not know who Andy Ngo is, though.

His whole deal is freaking out about the one real-world reference you decided to include.

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
Yeah, I agree with you on both topics. I had honestly never heard of Ngo before and maybe someone fell for a right wing grift. It looks like he has written articles for places like the Wall Street journal so I could see how producer could see his resume and not know about his work as an alt-right influencer

unfortunately, he's a bit more than that

It seems weird to make a modern American Civil War movie with an inciting incident apparently called "The Antifa Massacre" and not know who Andy Ngo is, though.

His whole deal is freaking out about the one real-world reference you decided to include.

also this - ngo has been pushing "antifa massacre" conspiracies for about as long as he's had a platform. hard to imagine its a coincidence

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017

unfortunately, he's a bit more than that

also this - ngo has been pushing "antifa massacre" conspiracies for about as long as he's had a platform. hard to imagine its a coincidence

I'm trying to remain spoiler free so this is the first I've heard about anything related to antifa. I guess we will see how it goes once I watch it. Thanks for the heads up.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Obviously Offerman will be positive, but it legitimately feels like you're being gaslit with some of these comments.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the thing, if I had never seen a single thing Garland had said about the movie and just went in to it blind I probably would like the movie a lot. I'd find the apolitical nature weird, but it's not something I would dwell on.

Unfortunately Garland's comments on his work need to be taken into the equation once we've seen them.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just got back from seeing the film aka The Cast Of Devs Go On A Road Trip. Aside from broader politics angle, I loved it as a moment to moment experience, Garland is truly excellent at building absolutely massive amounts of tension. The war sequences are done well and rarely feel like they're glamorous or cool. I really hope Garland is lying when he says he's done making films.

The lack of engaging in politics does make sense through the eyes of the journalists who aren't there to pick a side.

Although, it does feel like pound shop Pedro Pascal does pick a side by the end.

It generally manages to deftly dodge round actual politics, you're never quite sure who's the good guys - everyone's pretty bad, but there are some elements that leak through including the hawaiian shirt fighters which I suppose are inspired by boogaloo boys. It's these leaks that let it down - if it were truly politics free, mentions of antifa and the boogaloo boys allow some different angles in which defeats the point the film is trying to make.

We manage to see multiple different scenarios, all of which do feel believable - the lone gunman holed up in a golf course, psychos taking the opportunity to commit some mass murder, and neutral people who pretend it's not happening. You never know what side they're on and that tension carries the whole film.

I am sure we'll see some foolish people wearing the WF two star flag at some point.

Last edited: