Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And the problem is that it seems that's what people actually want :/ rooting for more acquisitions, we'll have fewer independent publishers. I hate talking about acquisitions, but it seems Sony will need to purchase a couple of very strategic pubs like Capcom and Take Two/Bandai Namco.
Console Warriors can't see anything outside of their petty internet fights.

Deleted member 20986

Oct 28, 2017
Heheh that title.
Sadly I don't think Sony can afford a gun.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Sony won't die just because MS owns CoD now (+ some mobile IPs + bunch of nearly dead IPs + Blizzard IPs which are primarily PC games).
Unless we expect MS to also buy EA and Take-Two, I don't think Sony is in trouble yet.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
You're making too much sense. If you ask some if these folks, hyperbole I'd all you'll get.

In the real world, it's far less pessimistic than that, but pub acquisitions suck either way.

The acquisition still sucks in the long run due to a massive publisher being swallowed up by one of three major console manufacturers, further instilling consolidation, which isn't good for consumers.

But yeah, Sony this gen, and even last gen, has been doing a great job at expanding their own studios either in size at their locations or to new locations as satellites studios, picking up great support/porting devs that can even branch to do their own games in the future and also bringing up new studios like Kojima Productions and Jade Raymond's new studio by providing a lot of tools, funding and support to get their feet securely through the door and into the gaming ethos (Sony gets the first game, but it's up to the studios from there on what they do). I find that stuff like this also fosters more organic growth.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Sony is just not as big as MS. MS is a 1T dollar company. You really can't expect them to just go on a buying spree.

The biggest concern with Sony is their focus on the retail model. Spartacus is coming, but it doesn't seem to be providing day one access to 1st party titles.

The retail model will continue to become challenged over time.

Think 5. 10, 15 years in the future.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
It was always a mistake to not have broken up Microsoft up back in the 90's. Any industry it enters, it's just too big and it bullies it.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The question is if the industry has room for two Nintendos.

The Sony strategy on the PS4 and now PS5 already has a lot of commonality with Nintendo. Both companies dumped all their resources into a single bankable console. Both companies focus on moving that console with their own homegrown talent. Both have deprioritized ecosystem and infrastructure. Both have found a great deal of success with their own customer base.

Xbox tried to compete on these terms before they decided to upend the tea table. They introduced families of systems. They started making aggressive talent acquisitions. They have prioritized ecosystems and infrastructure. While Sony and Nintendo found success by keeping things lean and narrow, Xbox is going to start raking in the revenue by going far broader than we're seeing from their rivals.

So if Microsoft's acquisition and ecosystem strategy creates an environment where people play more and more games on Xbox and subscribe to more and more Microsoft services this sort of reduces Sony to a bit of a boutique experience like Nintendo where the real motivator for buying a PlayStation will be to play their unique exclusive games. But this places a lot of responsibility on them to maintain their quality and consistency. As we saw with the Wii U, you own your failures and go down with the ship.

I've always believed people buy consoles for two reasons:
1) To play the most amount of games possible.
2) To play the games they want to play the most.

These are not mutually exclusive motivators. Sometimes both motivators are satisfied with a single console. But what we have historically seen is people buying either an Xbox or a PlayStation (the most amount of games) and a Switch as a secondary (the games they want to play most). They use their Xbox or PlayStation as their primary gaming console and keep their Nintendo console for Zelda, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, etc. This sort of tongue in cheek console alliance has been a thing since the "Wii60" days. I think it's still a thing now. Lots of console players (and PC players) keep a Switch as their secondary unit.

If Xbox's aggressive acquisition structure produces an environment where they satisfy "the most amount of games" by default and people start buying Xboxes to satisfy their first criteria, will they still buy PlayStations for the games they can only get there? If they do, will this bump Nintendo sales down the line as people can't justify the cost of every machine? Or will people decide Xbox gives comparable enough experiences that they still stick with Nintendo and never pick up a PlayStation? Will PlayStation have to produce less expensive consoles to serve the market as a supplemental machine?

I'm really only describing a certain type of consumer here. Many consumers don't fit this bill. But we all know many do. You just have to wonder what the landscape will look like next generation. Maybe we'll look back on all the dramatics and say "wow, hardly anything changed and we all look so stupid." But I do think the players will move around and PlayStation may have to do something to diversify its revenue and grow its ecosystem if it wants to keep competing with Microsoft specifically rather than "do its own thing."
I agree with most of this, but I'd add one additional example of a system buyer.

To play games with your friends on the hardware they own

In a world before crossplay was more common, a lot of people bough and Xbox or a Playstation because it's what their friends were buying/had bought. However we may now be approaching a world where the biggest draw for which console people buy based upon what their friends have (Call of Duty) might/will become an Xbox exclusive in 2-3 years. I don't think there's anyway for us to predict how big of an impact that'll have on US console sales in 2023 or 2024 whenever that exclusivity starts. Even in my best case scenario where CoD still comes to Playstation but only via Gamespass and crossplay exist, I still think a lot of US gamers will migrate to Xbox and stay on Xbox perpetually.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
The interesting thing is that it's happening now when MS with their infinite money chest could have done this at any time, but never did for some reason.

Seems Phil Spencer managed to convince the MS top brass that it makes sense to invest in Gaming in a real big way – which is something that his predecessors never managed. Instead, gaming seemed to have been in a perpetual on/off-cycle within MS since the 1990s: they would invest in something only to shut it down after a few years ago and so on. Evidently, this has changed. Might also have to do with Ballmer and Gates no longer being around; afaik they never saw gaming as being a core business of MS.
It's not just that. It's arguably one of the big salvos amongst the tech giants to buy/create their own (yuck) metaverse.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To be fair, Microsoft are competing with the tech giants, not Sony. I'm fairly confident Microsoft would partner with Sony if it meant Game Pass was on PlayStation.
I am fairly confident rhat not a single third-party on GP would partner with Microsoft with this, like when Forza was taken down from the Geforce Now.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
If any thing this may change Sonys mind about day 1 first party games on Spartacus on the me premium version

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Sony is just not as big as MS. MS is a 1T dollar company. You really can't expect them to just go on a buying spree.

The biggest concern with Sony is their focus on the retail model. Spartacus is coming, but it doesn't seem to be providing day one access to 1st party titles.

The retail model will continue to become challenged over time.

Think 5. 10, 15 years in the future.
2.2T
I think some people underestimate how big this deal was. Microsoft just bought a company that's worth 70B. Sony is worth 143B. No matter what Sony does, MS could outbid them.

Last edited:

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
176047785655d9827376cea9-21579134.jpg

The only way, according to my armchair analysis of the situation!

Majin Boo

Oct 26, 2017
All joking and hyperbole aside, this is really a move that will reshape a lot of the industry over the next few years. I'm really curious what Sony will do (probably not much considering their limited options to respond) and how all of this will turn out once the dust has settled.

I guess Sony will add a few more relatively small developers to their portfolio, and then all three companies will simply compete against each other with their exclusive content, problem is that Nintendo has been doing this for years and will be perfectly fine due to their unique position in the market and strong IPs, Microsoft now owns CoD which is a huge advantage because that franchise comes with its own target group included and Sony brings ND, Guerilla, Insomniac etc. to the table, all of which have their fans, but pale in comparison to what Nintendo and now Microsoft have to offer.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I agree with most of this, but I'd add one additional example of a system buyer.

To play games with your friends on the hardware they own

In a world before crossplay was more common, a lot of people bough and Xbox or a Playstation because it's what their friends were buying/had bought. However we may now be approaching a world where the biggest draw for which console people buy based upon what their friends have (Call of Duty) might/will become an Xbox exclusive in 2-3 years. I don't think there's anyway for us to predict how big of an impact that'll have on US console sales in 2023 or 2024 whenever that exclusivity starts. Even in my best case scenario where CoD still comes to Playstation but only via Gamespass and crossplay exist, I still think a lot of US gamers will migrate to Xbox and stay on Xbox perpetually.
This is indeed important, and something I tend to overlook because I am mostly a singleplayer consumer. I agree this will also become a major factor.

Oct 28, 2017
I can't see a world where Sony doesn't buy a big third party publisher within this year. Either Square Enix or Capcom seem the most likely.

This is a deceleration of war from Microsoft and Sony needs to strike back. They can't match that buying power, but they need to do something to show investers and the world that they are just going to let MS steamroll.

And since Playstation is now the most important sector for Sony, I imagine they have close to free reign to make a big purchase.

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
Clearly the only possible way for Sony to survive this is to buy Nintendo and port their games to pc.

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
One things for sure.

With all the money they've spent, Microsoft have no excuse if they aren't the dominant force in the gaming space in short order.

Both Sony and Nintendo are underdogs.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
All Sony needs to do is buy Kadokawa and Konami.

AAA first party Castlevania game brought to you by From Software.

Maybe they'll pick up Capcom as well. Love horror games? Gonna need that PS5 if you want Resident Evil and Silent Hill.

The future is looking soooo great for consumers, huh?

Levitates

Apr 9, 2020
Brazil
No war or something like that, but paradoxically I think it was sony that contributed to Microsoft buying out these big publishers.

Sony deprived a lot of third party content from the competition in the PS1/PS2 era which strongly contributed to the success of these consoles, they started again on a smaller scale with the PS4, but their plan with the PS5 was ambitious, insider said they approached every big publisher for exclusive content and if MS want to have these games they have to pay.

I don't think MS will be that agressive if its third party exclusives were not an important business model at sony.

You can look this thread lot people predicted what MS doing right now
www.resetera.com

Imran Khan: "Sony has locked timed exclusivity for some huge and widely known multiplatform games" News

Hbomax and NBCs Peacock aren't available on Fire TV or Roku due to disagreements about revenue and user data sharing. So people who have Fire TV or Roku and want to watch Friends or The Office are out of luck at the moment.

Lol at post #11

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Way I see it one of three things happen:

1. Sony does nothing and cedes ground to Microsoft who will probably become market leader next gen as I imagine this isnt their last acquisition.

2. Sony retaliates and buys a big publisher of their own (likely Japanese like Sega, Square or Capcom) creating an arms race

3. Someone big comes in for Sony, most likely Apple or Amazon (also Bonus prediction that Disney comes sniffing around Nintendo but imagine Japanese government would be very defensive of that)

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All Sony needs to do is buy Kadokawa and Konami.

AAA first party Castlevania game brought to you by From Software.

Maybe they'll pick up Capcom as well. Love horror games? Gonna need that PS5 if you want Resident Evil and Silent Hill.

The future is looking soooo great for consumers, huh?
None of those are even a blip on the radar compared to COD

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
It was always a mistake to not have broken up Microsoft up back in the 90's. Any industry it enters, it's just too big and it bullies it.
This is... not even remotely true.

How did their smartphone entry go? Do you use Bing? MSN? Even Internet Explorer had to be rebranded, and a lot of people still choose Chrome.

Microsoft has a lot of markets it wants to break into but can't quite manage to. And I imagine they're seeing the interest that Apple, Google, Facebook, Amazon are all showing in the games industry and have realized they finally have a huge future market they can win big time on thanks to their Xbox brand. Though I imagine VR/AR is also a huge part of that future, so HoloLens better be turning into something special.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just worried that some people are gonna stop wanting to buy PS5's. From CoD fanboys to people simply waiting this out to see what the landscape looks like in a year or two. This AB deal isn't done until June of 2023 and that is a lot of uncertainty for a long time. I hate this!

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
While I'm not a fan of mass consolidation Sony has been making anti consumer deals for some time now and I was worried it would stir up Microsoft. I think Sony was expecting Microsoft to react similar to their own actions by paying for exclusive deals but I don't think they expect them to go nuclear.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
apple makes 20x more sense

Sony pictures for their streaming
Sony lens's for phones
sony tech stack for IoT and smart cars
Sony PlayStation to grow Apple Arcade and gaming

from a meta verse perspective Disney could just buy PlayStation itself

This makes a lot of sense.

Or, sell the Playstation division to Disney.
Either way, now that MS is spending money. Sony will either become Sega or Nintendo.

I think MS buying Netflix isn't out of the question. It's in line with their long term goals.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I'm just worried that some people are gonna stop wanting to buy PS5's. From CoD fanboys to people simply waiting this out to see what the landscape looks like in a year or two. This AB deal isn't done until June of 2023 and that is a lot of uncertainty for a long time. I hate this!
Why does this matter to you? Who cares what people buy?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
This is the new Nintendo = done.

That preduction fell flat on it's face, so will this.
The "Nintendoomed" situation was driven by people who thought Nintendo couldn't compete with weaker hardware and without the big 3rd party support. The flaw of this was ignoring the strength of Nintendo's first party IP and the fact many 3rd parties would still make weaker, cheaper Nintendo exclusives.

The "Sonydoomed" situation is driven by Sony literally losing access to one of it's biggest market moving games in the states (Call of Duty) along with a bunch of other big 3rd party software from AB & Bethesda. It's hard to imagine Sony competing well if they're like "buy a ps5 this holiday 2024 we have Last of Us 1 remake" and Microsoft goes "we have the new CoD, the new Elder Scrolls, the new Halo, and the new Diablo all exclusive to our console".

Obviously calling either doomed is way too strong hyperbole, but this is going to be an ongoing issue for Sony that will snowball with time as these acquisition start to pay out.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
This is the start of the new era for games... i can see this being the last playstation generation...

Unless a amazon or apple takes over I dont see sony surviving

What? Sony will be just fine. I say this as a person who plays video games almost exclusively on Gamepass these days. Sony will be just fine, they have tons of great games and studios and options.

Plum

May 31, 2018
This is the new Nintendo = done.

That preduction fell flat on it's face, so will this.

Predictions of Nintendo dying were based on ignorance. Ignorance as to how financially stable Nintendo is, the utter dominance it has in the handheld market, and the sheer strength of its IPs. These concerns over how industry consolidation will affect Sony simply aren't.