• Biome 3

Votes: 283 15.6%
  • Biome 4

Votes: 53 2.9%
  • Biome 5

Votes: 115 6.3%
  • Biome 6

Votes: 51 2.8%
  • I have beaten the game/Playing on NG+!

Votes: 881 48.6%

• Total voters

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Got to the first boss. Died on its final health bar. I'm really not having any fun with this one. Lol. The rooms have zero variety and you see repeats all the time. So it makes exploring boring. I don't find the gunplay entertaining at all (more going through the motions).

This is probably the first big whiff of the gen for me. Maybe I can sell it to recoup some of the cost.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I seriously cannot start this game at night.

The unbroken run keep making me go till the wee hours and makes me fucking stressed out.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
People are mentioning the shortcuts but it seems super tough to beat the third biome boss if you skip the whole second area. Miss out on a lot of hp upgrades and potential parasites.
-You can run through the first biome, don't bother with the boss. just getting as many hostiles, health upgrades as you want. The earlier the run, the less risk there is.

-Immediately after going through the portal to the 3rd biome, in one of the first rooms you'll have pickups that will increase your health, proficiency and other stuff.

-From the shortcut to the boss room is pretty short if you've already attempted the first boss. But you can explore get even more stuff if you want.

Going through 2 whole biomes is overkill and not needed.

tips for third boss

-have a long range auto gun, either the hollow seeker or carbine(without the high caliber skill)
-best alt fires would be the horizontal/vertical barrage, killshot or blast shell
-for the first two phases, you don't need to sprint to avoid the projectiles, if you strafe, they'll never actually touch you, dash left to right for extra safety
-for the third phase, if it's giving you issues, just stay as far away as possible, the attacks will more than likely miss you and there's no distance penalty for damage.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I had a run going where i had more hp augments than I'd ever gotten at once before. I was a point away from having two full health bars and was still in the first biome. I really thought I was indestructible. Then the game drops me into a chamber with one of those uber-powered enemies, which seemed to have the ability to counter attack my shots. The counter attacks flew back at crazy speed, and it was difficult to even hit him without being hit myself. Each hit from those did ~half a normal healthbar, meaning that it killed me in four shots.

I'm sorry, but that balance just seems off. An random enemy in the first biome with fast attacks and counter attacks should not be able to kill you in 2 hits of a normal health bar.
If you are talking about those reward chambers marked with a yellow sprite, then I got clapped by those two. Two times I went in there at the beginning of a run, thinking I'd get something sweet and then got destroyed. The third time I dropped into one of those I almost popped a vein, and then turned around to realize you can actually just warp out of there before the enemy spawns.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
not sure why people think this game needs a save system. The game is pretty generous with shortcuts
Because if I want to play another game (say a MP game because my friends are online) then I literally can't switch games without ending my run. That's a huge problem. I shouldn't have to plan my entire night around when I play Returnal.

pure

Jun 18, 2019
Germany
Finally beat the first boss today. Piledriver is completely OP :D

Whats the best strategy for heading to the second biome ? Just do a complete run of the first to power up or head straight to the second one when you find the portal ?

Also if someone wants to collect a lot of corpses add me on PSN :D
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
This game is an absolute beast.

I'm getting my ass whooped as it seems my muscle memory isn't building very fast at all. I'm loving it, though. The gameplay and the atmosphere and the pleasure to f learning tidbits along the way. Little startegoes coming to mind at a regular pace. This is great.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
I'll ask again but does anyone know what projectile reactivity stat means on the Hollowseeker?

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I'm about to drop the game honestly. The third biome is dog shit. I've had amazing runs just ruined by the worst possible room compositions.

The boss I've got to the third phase with half hp left even on awful runs but the last phase is very weapon dependent because you do next to no damage without getting close.

Yet to have a run where I get to him with good HP, weapon, heals, or revives.

If the biome was a little more balanced in what it puts in the lock when entering rooms, it'd be good.

The other issue is I've done so many runs I'm no longer getting new audio , cut scenes, items etc. So it's just a slog of repetition without anything to spice it up.

I'm basically trying one more session tonight of 3 to 5 runs and if I don't beat it then I'll YouTube the rest of the game.

I don't get the industry hard on for rogue like. It's the most obtuse and frustrating genre / sub genre that most folks will never complete your game due to losing interest from being in a forever loop of stuck. At least add bitch easy mode for those of us who just want to enjoy the story and gameplay .

on the plus side, it sounds like checkpoint saves are coming soon.

and I could totally see them patching in some sort of difficulty level thing. Nex Machina was perfect for that.

I would imagine the last thing these guys want is for a boatload of used copies from frustrated players to show up on the market and suppress overall sales.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Whew think it was my 4th run but I got through the the first boss. Got wrekt shortly after in the 2nd biome cuz I had no health and got a malfunction that fucked my healing and I forgot I needed to do melee kills to clear it. Also thank goodness for the clone/checkpoint thing. I had the boss pattern mostly down but died on my first try but luckily I used the cloning thing and barely got the boss the 2nd time around.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
is there a difficulty spike once you reached the third boss? everytime i try to go back to him, biome 1 is much much harder than before. more shielded enemies, more mini bosses, less weapon drops....

i never had trouble with biome 1 until now.

Dante316

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got the sword..need to find the key I guess to open the boss room? But family calls and had to kill myself lol

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know what biome I'm in anymore. I beat the fourth boss but
now I'm underwater? Previously I was in a snow area but didn't fight a boss there.....and I've been going deeper and deeper with no end in sight. I mean I got the abyssal key but I swear if I die and get a restarted ALLLLL the way back to fourth biome in the jungle, I'm gonna be annoyed.

This shit is FUCKING FAR.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Grounded the first biome; went to the desert and was stacked in terms of my build. I managed to beat the thing with the sword and then died in the next room. Goddamn this is addicting

-You can run through the first biome, don't bother with the boss. just getting as many hostiles, health upgrades as you want. The earlier the run, the less risk there is.

-Immediately after going through the portal to the 3rd biome, in one of the first rooms you'll have pickups that will increase your health, proficiency and other stuff.

-From the shortcut to the boss room is pretty short if you've already attempted the first boss. But you can explore get even more stuff if you want.

Going through 2 whole biomes is overkill and not needed.

tips for third boss

-have a long range auto gun, either the hollow seeker or carbine(without the high caliber skill)
-best alt fires would be the horizontal/vertical barrage, killshot or blast shell
-for the first two phases, you don't need to sprint to avoid the projectiles, if you strafe, they'll never actually touch you, dash left to right for extra safety
-for the third phase, if it's giving you issues, just stay as far away as possible, the attacks will more than likely miss you and there's no distance penalty for damage.

Yeah I think I agree. I grinded the whole first biome again and went to the 2nd, it helped a tiny bet, but I don't think it's necessary. Takes too much time too imo

Noscusen

Dec 19, 2020
First of all sorry for my english it is not my native language. I really love the game. I beat the first 3 boss and now i am in the 4th biome. The game is a little blurry or is it just me? It is like 1080p but not that blurry just slightly. Anyone else having the same issue?

Alex2DX

Nov 6, 2017
I swear those bat/moth enemies that turn gold before lunging at you give me more trouble than almost any enemy. In flocks I always lose 50%.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
What I miss most from other roguelikes is seeing my damage in subsequent runs be obscenely high and oneshot everything at the start, the daily challenge was everything I wanted from new runs after death

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
After getting to the second Biome (and dying on the boss) what should I focus on doing on new runs?

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Just for another data point: I own the Digital Deluxe and have used a pre-order suit the entirety of the 12 hours I've been playing. I've never seen a single crash or been stuck in a room. Either I'm lucky or something else is causing those problems for people.
Welp, just hit the door bug. I had changed outfits before doing the Daily, and the first door wouldn't open. I realized I never hit Restart Cycle to fully test it. Talk about instant Karma. 😄

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017

this is simply not possible for me. i had 7 runs since i died on the third boss and getting to the "shortcut" in biome 1 that leads into biome 3, takes fucking ages. it always at the very end of the biome and i am swarmed with strong enemies. every fucking run.

shazrobot

Oct 28, 2017
Just had my first crash on a baller ass run that I was really hopeful on beating boss number two. My build was insane. Dannnnnnnng dude that sucks.

Noscusen

Dec 19, 2020
The game is a little bit blurry or is it just me? Not very blurry but a little. Also i love it i just beat boss 3

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Guys I'm in the Wastes how can I find the Promethean Insulator to step on red floors?

Finally beat the first boss today. Piledriver is completely OP :D

Whats the best strategy for heading to the second biome ? Just do a complete run of the first to power up or head straight to the second one when you find the portal ?

Also if someone wants to collect a lot of corpses add me on PSN :D
[Hidden content]

Piledriver? I've been playing for over 20h, still didn't beat the first boss ( yet had runs for over 2h) and only weapons I'm finding except starting sidearm are:
Maybe I'm just that unlucky with Returnal rng loot system and it's time to restart console and game 😂.

Tho looks like I'm having luck with game stability.
I didn't quit the game since first time launching it at midnight 30th of April 😛 Been suspending my PS5 (Digital Edition if that matters)all the time when I had to do some chores or take care of kids, using pre-order suits and game didn't crash randomly to dashboard yet (after over +20h of playtime).

SAINT_

Banned
Oct 4, 2020
Made it to the first boss and almost killed him but I died. I will say that switching dash to R1 is a must.

Gonna give it another go in a bit but I'm really enjoying it so far.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Now I understand the complaints about no save game.

Already finished Act 1 and each of my runs turns around 3-4 hours right now. This is quite large chunk of playtime for non serious players.

And to be honest, I would love to jump over some CoD with my friends for some spare time, or something in between to rest but.... I won't throw away 4 hours of progress.

But seriously.... this game is amazing. It makes me feel better than Doom Guy evading all those glorious effects that I would love to hug but FUCK THOSE, IT AINT GONNA KILL ME!!!

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i tried going directly to the second biome without any upgrades and it was….rough

Honestly the second biome enemies are easier to farm. The third biome always starts you off at the start with level 9 prof. Item, a weapon, and a heal item. So jumping from 1 to 3 seems fine until you realize how fucked you can get when a door locks you to clear the entire room with a mini boss, 12 flying kamikaze assholes with rockets, and rush down fat guys. All while a green pillar is healing them if you don't take it out, and the mini boss is doing a strobe show to destroy your anus.

Otherwise level 3 would be manageable as you can run past a lot of stuff to just get to the boss and fight it. Boss isn't particularly hard, but his third phase just takes for God damn ever to do finish which leads to more chances to get hit.

I'm curious is a better path to level 3 success to farm level 2 ?

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Uhhhh...I guess I beat it??? I'm looking at the credits.

Man.

Three things.

First off: if I had discovered the pylon earlier in the game this shit would've been a cake walk. The gun took me through consecutive bosses on one run. I'm staring at the credits from the same run I'm speaking of. It's honestly the best gun in the game and I'm surprised it hasn't been nerfed.

Second: if players had known the spaceship heals you I'd guarantee nowhere near as many posters would be hitting a wall so quick in the game. Shit they don't tell you. Amazing how easy the tides turn in your favor when you are SET UP. I cleared out the beginning biome and kept coming back to heal. Then extended my integrity with the remaining green items, and went through the following biomes with relative ease.

Third: In Biome 3 those fucking ships that shoot a barrage at you were hands down the most I died, and the most trouble I've had this entire game. That is literally where I died most and got the most frustrated. Not even the boss, no, that shitty ass enemy. Everything past that? It wasn't bad, imo.

With all that being said. I'm starting my new run now. And for people who are struggling: heal at the spaceship and take advantage of the green items that are left on the field. Oh, and use the goddamn pylon!!!

10/10 game.

Oct 27, 2017
Does era want to help settle a debate with me and my wife? She says the opened door icons on the map are red. I think they are grey.

some friends have said purple and red. Am I crazy, they are grey right?